• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Inferno

I'm shocked that I'm crying. Not because Del isn't worthy of my tears but because I didn't think I would cry over saying goodbye to a friend I never met. I'm glad for the tears. Let them come. I'm glad that I knew Del.

Del was a gift. When she hugged you, you felt hugged. How many people can do that on the internet?

I admired Del's kindness and her courage. I'll remember those things whenever I think of her.......her softness and her strength. This woman, that most of us never met, is being mourned all over the world right now. It's not because of the internet, it's because of the kind of person Del was.

She was a wonderful woman and I'm going to miss her.

You said it so well! I came to love this woman and she touched me and helped me in ways I cannnot even put into words. She made me feel safe and warm but at the same time knew how to talk about other important stufff. This is a woman that reminded me of that wonderful world-that as a whole-we should strive all for: Utopian Society

One Day We Will Have It!

If you go to US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum, you'll see a black ribbon to the right of the top logo for a cherished member named Merlin1047, who passed away. If it can be done, I'd suggest that a similar black ribbon or some other symbol be placed for Inferno here (though I know that the different visual layout might impose content restrictions). And don't forget cherokee, if it's possible.

What some folks here have done is used cherokee's avatar as their avatar for a month in his honor. This might be a good way to honor Inferno, too.

Inferno was one of the first PFers I interacted with. We made an instant connection and share quite a few PMs about the Civil War of which we are both very interested. I am very sad that I did not get to know her better. She seemed like a tremendous lady.

Even though we are political opposites, Inferno is an awesome woman.
A very informed and educated person that I have so much respect and admiration for.

Del, my dear your journey is not over, may we meet in another place and another time again, it would be a pleasure.

I don't think Jellah from PF will mind me lifting her post and posting it here.

Today at 9.03am:

Katie just emailed me and has said that Del is still with us after being off life support for 24 hours. I think this is good news, she is a fighter and she isnt giving up. The lack of coffee is probably really pissing her off!

HUGS to you Del, we are all rooting for you. We have coffee and ho-ho's waiting...............

Del must be receiving all of our good vibes. Please keep them coming!

Last edited:
WOW !!! just WOW !!!

I wish I believed in prayers, positive energy and all the rest ! I don't care, I'm sending her all the good thoughts with all my heart and saying "hand in there Del"

Update from Katiegrrl today -

"I have spent the day with Del and her family. she is off life support fully. the doctors seemed to think that she would not make it this long without. there have been brief moments where it has appeared to be as they expected. Del seems to rebound and hangs in here with us. there is still tearing from her right eye. this is about all she does. the brain waves are still present but not always strong. her heart is beating via her pacemaker and has for years, the internal defibrillator has shocked her back several times.

the doctors say that in any case there will be damage to her. they can not say what and to what extent. there are signs in the brain waves that damage has been done. her face does droop on the left side as if the feeling or nerves are damaged in some way.

Alice is concerned. i am as well. i have been drifting in an out of moods now for days. it gets difficult at times. Del is like a mother to me. this hurts. Mia has come a few times to see her but her sensitive side gets the best of her and she doesn't stay. Mia is just happy to keep you informed when she can. it is not at the top of her list of things to do. she gets off line very quickly.

it is tense here. Alice is retiring and is planning on a move to France no matter what the outcome. she has been saying that she and Del should have done that years ago. it is what they had planned for retirement. they have spent so much of their lives together.

i am in a rare melancholy mood. i am sitting in the dark with a glass of wine and a cigarette. i was just pouring over a new screenplay that i am working on. it is called (working titles) Claudia or Transfiguration. it is about a homeless woman that gave up on life after she abandoned her infant. it is a sordid and twisted tale of pain, hate and frustration. it is the story of how the American Dream can let some people down hard. not a joyous movie that puts asses in the seats. it is a judgment an frank and bare bones story that attacks us at our core.

i have never been the Hollywood ending kind of girl. it seems that in my mind if it ends with a smile something is really wrong. i am looking for the happy ending here for Del and Alice. i

i seem to be able to write you and share the mindset that is mine at the moment. i know the others at PF but i guess i know you best. Del had better relationships with more people than me.

i have been seeing friends that have been coming by the Condo. Mia never minds cooking for 3 or 100. she could and would stay in a kitchen all day.

you may share any or all of this if you wish with others. you are the only one i am sending it too. i have not the energy or time to write others. it is not that i think less of them. it is that i am about to drop and this is a note to you.

i hope you and your family are well and that work is good. know that i will give Del a hug for everyone. i have shared the love."

I pray that her continued life at this juncture is triumph and not tragedy.

A smart, gutsy woman. News like this is always hard.

Update from Katie tonight:

"they moved Del today. she is at a long term care center now. Alice made that decision today. the doctor that has cared for Del for many years had no problem with that being done. now we just wait and see."

"they moved Del today. she is at a long term care center now. Alice made that decision today. the doctor that has cared for Del for many years had no problem with that being done. now we just wait and see."

Thank you for the additional updates. Please let Alice know that I'm thinking of her during this extremely difficult time, and please remind her to take time to care for herself.

to show what an impact Inferno has had on this forum, check out the new statistics on the main page

Inferno is ranked #1 for profile views

Cheers to all of you my friends! Your outpouring of support for Del has been very touching! It represents what is best in people. It is a very hopeful thing to see! :sun:

Thanks!

WOW....this was unexpected but wonderful news. All my best to Del as she begins her recover.......

WOW....this was unexpected but wonderful news. All my best to Del as she begins her recover.......
Definitely a surprise, I usually hate surprises but this is a good one, hopefully it's the first in a positive chain of events.

Definitely a surprise, I usually hate surprises but this is a good one, hopefully it's the first in a positive chain of events.

Am I mistaken in reading those words as being bad news? In other words, I read that as letting her go to long-term care until her death. I would LOVE to be mistaken, so tell me I am.

Am I mistaken in reading those words as being bad news? In other words, I read that as letting her go to long-term care until her death. I would LOVE to be mistaken, so tell me I am.

I too am wary of this being perceived as good news. When the internal defib is going off several times while she is off life support, its not a positive sign. I was assuming it was a move to long term care, until the likely scenario unfolds. I'd love to be told I am wrong though.

I too am wary of this being perceived as good news. When the internal defib is going off several times while she is off life support, its not a positive sign. I was assuming it was a move to long term care, until the likely scenario unfolds. I'd love to be told I am wrong though.
Don't get me wrong, this is still a bad situation, but at least there is something now that her care givers can work with, you never know what the horizon will bring in recouperative medicine and as long as she is around there is hope. It's just a pleasant surprise that the ventilator being pulled wasn't the end of her life, there is still plenty to be worried about.

At this point, I hope the best thing that can happen to Inferno, happens. I pray for her, and also for her family and friends. She seemed to attract the best in people, I can see this even from this little sliver of her life here at the short time she was at DP....

My father was in a long term care facility for 4 months during his coma. It might even be the same one that Inferno is in given that we're both form Chicago.

This isn't necessarily bad news. People don't necessarily go to LTC facilities to die. It's a way to decrease the costs of long term care when someone is going to be hospitalized indefinitely.

Often times the move is dictated by the insurance company.

If you think about it, this is definitely better than an ICU.

I very much appreciate those who responded to my question. Thank you!

sending love to Inferno and hoping things sort themselves out for the best and love to all her friends and family.

Reading the responses about Inferno, an amazing, powerful and phenomenally strong woman---it's incredibly gratifying to see this.

It's also not at all surprising and I surely mean that as no disrespect toward anyone here.
As many have said, Inferno had a way of connecting with people on several different levels, even those who opposed her views.

One of my lingering regrets is that some of mine and Inferno's last exchanges weren't pleasant ones.

Del--meeting you taught me more about our history as a community than I ever could have dreamed.
The mere fact that amber and I can walk into a Texas suburban Wal-mart with any degree of comfort, holding each others hand, is due to people like you.

You put your body on the line 40 years ago, 30 years ago and you put your spirit and your fire where everyone could see every single day.
People just like you are some of the main reasons that at least in several states people like me can marry whoever the hell we damn well please.

I promise you I will honor your work, I will continue carrying a voice for those without one and I will never forget or take for granted the debt those who came behind, owe those who went before.

I wish for you peace.

I wish for Alice and Katie and your mother, brother and the thousands of us who've known you only through the computer along with those who know you in real life---peace.

You are still who I want to be when I grow up.

My dear, dear friend.

I hope Tucker is right, if you go to my visitors message page you can see that we were going to start planning our meeting when I visit the US next year, we both hoped that other good people from this board that we liked would join in, some who lived in the areas that we are visiting had said they would, I have not given up hope.

Del is still a very special friend of mine.

Lita/Catawba, please pass my appreciation and thoughts along to Katie and Mia. I am continually thinking about Del and wishing for the best for her and Alice. She was a remarkable, amazing woman, and I'm blessed to have known her even in this venue.

Update from Katie today:

"things here have not changed much. there seems to be little that the medical profession can do at the moment. Del has oxygen and is on a glucose intervenes drip. that is all that is being done. the oxygen is just for help getting fresh air. Alice has decided that Del would not have objected to such a measure.

the brain waves are though becoming more erratic. there seems to be less hope that if she were to recover that damage would be only mild. this would not be what she would want.

there is little at the moment that any of us can do except sit and wait. i am going to CA for the weekend leaving tomorrow at around noon. Stella Del's mom is staying with Alices mom in the Condo in Chicago. Alice has been working now daily. she comes and stays with Del as much as she can. "

It is strange, but I find the last post both eternally beautiful and infinitely sad at the same time.

Or perhaps it is not so strange, a beautiful person is suffering and yet beautiful people are there by her side.

And some say there is no God.

Pooooooooooo!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom