• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Did America Become a Nation of Slobs?

Today, the term SMART CASUAL has become the standard for much of the business world and commercial life. My son works for a very big name American company and is on the road representing them in major entertainment establishments. Their rule is smart casual and they review it at least once year at their major conventions.

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/smart-casual-dress-code/

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/how-did-america-become-nation-slobs View attachment 67247355 This is dead on correct, we are a nation of slobs and we should strive to be better. How can we be taken seriously by the world and be any sort of positive image when we look like we just spent a night in a dumpster.

Try not looking for clean cut modes of dress at a Wal-Mart for starters. Poor people don't generally have a wardrobe and grooming budget, and Wal-Mart customers are mostly poor people.

Exactly. A nation of men down on their luck, facing the worst of conditions still having the dignity and pride to dress as well as they could.

A typical suit coat or blazer was three dollars and ninety-five cents in the 1930's.
Today, try well over a hundred bucks for a decent one, and it's made in China, guaranteed.

And don't get me started on fedoras, as I have about 700 bucks invested in my collection of hats because God only made a very few perfect heads.

Lack of pride and not giving a **** and the spiritual collapse of the West go hand in hand....In the GOOD OLD DAYS people took care with their presentation so that others would know that they cared, but as we stew in the malaise of the collapse of the West we cant be bothered with that much work anymore.

I would be interested to know if this problem is happening in Europe....I was just yesterday looking at some pics Jordan Peterson put up on Twitter of a talk he did in Slovenia.....At a crowd pic.....and the first thing I thought was "These people dress like slobs".

The dumbest, IMO, are those that show up under dressed for a job interview. I've interviewed dozens. Half get eliminated when walking in the door.

Yea, showing up for an interview in your favorite tee shirt is not a good idea.

I can't tell you how many show up that way though. I don't even talk to them. It's not worth my time. If they don't respect the company or the job enough to make an effort, I want nothing to do with you.

I don't even show up like that when I interview for a truck driving job.

Dress appropriate to the occasion. Walmart is not an occasion to dress up.

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/how-did-america-become-nation-slobs View attachment 67247355 This is dead on correct, we are a nation of slobs and we should strive to be better. How can we be taken seriously by the world and be any sort of positive image when we look like we just spent a night in a dumpster.

because we are free to be and our culture is now the ME culture. I am not criticizing, merely reporting because I am sometimes guilty of it myself

yeah, and so are oversized NASCAR T-shirts and fat people stuffed in yoga pants. I wasn’t aware that caring about ones appearance was for washed up losers.

*sigh* Yoga pants are not a right. They are a privilege.

And I have to agree. I hate seeing people walking around, shopping in their PJs or bedroom slippers.

The dumbest, IMO, are those that show up under dressed for a job interview. I've interviewed dozens. Half get eliminated when walking in the door.

I actually had a girl come in once to fill out an application. She had a filthy baby on her hip, she was wearing a food-stained tee shirt and bleach-stained sweat pants. Her hair was a mess and she looked like she hadn't showered in a week. I told her we were all out of job applications.

There's a difference between being clean and presentable, and just being a slob and not caring.

We've become more "mulitcultural".

I am NOT touching that comment with a ten-foot pole, but I just wanted to share this observation.

For six years, I worked at a school that taught English to adult immigrants.

I noticed that both genders dressed very carefully.

In general, their appearance was much cleaner and neater than many (presumed) American citizens' appearance.

The Walmarts of yesterday were trash gutters. Know how people dressed for those? One cannot go to the slop houses of commoners and expect fashion. You're just trying to make yourself feel better.

Red:
As a matter of fact, yes. One need only look at photos of long gone dime stores.

Woolworth's lunch counter, 1940s or '50s (judging by the shoulder profiles and the man's wearing a 3-button jacket)

65fac5a56d08dafd30447dd7d8dd4e9d.jpg

1963 -- Even amid desegregation violence, one'll notice that most of the people there wore collared shirts.

woolworth_courtMikeOBrien_t670.jpg

A "five and dime" in Bridgeport, CT, 1959

lunch-counter.jpg

Were the customers there the height of fashion and style? No, but neither were they, in the main, so poorly dressed that one can say they looked like slobs.

Red:
As a matter of fact, yes. One need only look at photos of long gone dime stores.

Woolworth's lunch counter, 1940s or '50s (judging by the shoulder profiles and the man's wearing a 3-button jacket)

Were the customers there the height of fashion and style? No, but neither were they, in the main, so poorly dressed that one can say they looked like slobs.​

Lucheonettes and diners were where teens went on dates or to possibly find romance, and where white office workers went for lunch, so it is no surprise that they would be dressed to impress. It is not a good representation of everyday fashion

okies_san_diego1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

egd_02_img0184.jpeg

I sat at a job site 2 days ago with a superintendent friend of mine watching a brick mason and his crew.

The tender had on pants that were falling down, so he was mixing cement and handing up bricks to the mason on the scaffold with one hand holding his pants.

I looked over at my buddy and we just silently shook our heads. :doh

I actually had a girl come in once to fill out an application. She had a filthy baby on her hip, she was wearing a food-stained tee shirt and bleach-stained sweat pants. Her hair was a mess and she looked like she hadn't showered in a week. I told her we were all out of job applications.

There's a difference between being clean and presentable, and just being a slob and not caring.

Worst I ever had was a young lady who showed up 10 minutes late, parked in the executive slots, crushed out her cigarette, and entered in jeans chewing gum.

I had gotten her name from a local secretary school.

A typical suit coat or blazer was three dollars and ninety-five cents in the 1930's.
Today, try well over a hundred bucks for a decent one, and it's made in China, guaranteed.

And don't get me started on fedoras, as I have about 700 bucks invested in my collection of hats because God only made a very few perfect heads.

During the same time period though 4 bucks was a lot of money. My mother was a 1 room school teacher. $26/month. 9 months/year.

Not at all, I’m fortunate that I make enough to live comfortably. But I’m also fortunate enough that at a very young age I realized the value of having pride in one’s appearance. And dressing well has nothing to do with income or Social status.
I do agree with your comment on taking pride in your appearance however, it is very difficult to “dress well” on a minimum wage budget.

There was a time when men used to wear suits onto planes - just because they were on a plane. There was a time when women didn't have the right to vote and everyone thought that was ok. There was a time when Americans used to enslave other human beings - we put a stop to that! There was a time when homosexuals were NOT allowed to marry.

Times change, my friend. Some of the changes some of us might not like (personally I'm fine with the way other people dress when I go out). We just need to - as they sing in that song by Journey - "Roll With the Changes".

Back
Top Bottom