• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Did America Become a Nation of Slobs?

Dressing well does not have to mean 'new' or latest fashion. It means neat and clean.

Leave the poor people alone, stop using them to make oneself feel better and go somewhere nice. The gall of middle class people acting like there's nowhere they're out-dressed is laughable.

You’re saying that choosing not to wear sweatpants that show your ass crack in public is a sign of “vanity and personal glory” I’m fine with that.

No, I am saying that considering oneself to be superior to others because one dresses nicer than them is vain and frivolous.

I assume that many younger people laugh like mad when they watch a movie made in the 1940s and 1950s: men in suits, men wearing hats, women wearing dresses (gasp!).

And they must really howl with laughter when they see how nicely people back then dressed on --- airplanes.

The first time I ever rode in an airplane was in the late Sixties when the college debate team flew from Michigan to New York City. Our debate coach told us that we should wear on the plane what we wore in the debates.... which was coat and tie and dress slacks and dress shoes. And most people were indeed dress like that. I cannot say when that changed but today the only people wearing suits and ties are men going to business meetings when they land.

You can probably start this with change in fashion threads during the rock & roll era of the Fifties and then the Sixties Revolution and continuations in style changes right up to today. People of Wal Mart is an excellent indictment of what you are talking about.

But what can really be done about this? Nothing I would think. I am always taken aback of 1930's soup line pictures of men in suits and fedoras. My how times have changed.

It all started with those dirtbag ****ing hippies.

You wanted a welfare state. This is part of the package.

You're the one with such a man crush on the guy you quote him in your sig. Funny thing is, I think you are actually clueless as to how silly you usually look when you post. Great entertainment value for the rest of us though. What would we do without the stupid **** you post to laugh at to break up the monotony and despair of the criminal King TangFace regime?:2rofll:

You want lazy ass welfare dwellers. You can expect to give not a **** how they dress.
That’s stupid, I would wager that a most of the people that roam around in public like they just climbed out of a dumpster are middle class and have never taken a lick of welfare in their life. This thread has nothing to do with welfare or left and right.

That’s stupid, I would wager that a most of the people that roam around in public like they just climbed out of a dumpster are middle class and have never taken a lick of welfare in their life. This thread has nothing to do with welfare or left and right.

You'd lose that bet. :lamo

Those two clowns in your photo don't have a job. There's no way they have a job. If they do have a job, it's a part-time job and they're getting welfare, too.

People who don't have enough respect for themselves to look even semi-groomed or decently dressed will certainly have no respect for others.

People who don't have enough respect for themselves to look even semi-groomed or decently dressed will certainly have no respect for others.

Judge often?

Judge often?

We all make judgments every day about all sorts of things. How people present themselves says something about them. You don't have to be rich to look presentable. People are just lazy and don't give a crap. That's pretty evident.

Perhaps you shouldn't spend your time among the poorest uneducated uncultured slobs in our nation. Go to a nice place. It's not the country that's broke, it's your sense of ambiance.

You're going to a chili cook-off and complaining about overalls.

I go to nice places. Dress there has taken a turn for the worse.

I tend to dress at the theater, fine restaurants, etc. in suit and tie. I'm always overdressed by today's standards?

Anybody remember restaurants that displayed "Jacket and tie required" signs?

We all make judgments every day about all sorts of things. How people present themselves says something about them. You don't have to be rich to look presentable. People are just lazy and don't give a crap. That's pretty evident.

Does that go for presentation in general, such as here?

The dumbest, IMO, are those that show up under dressed for a job interview. I've interviewed dozens. Half get eliminated when walking in the door.

I tend to dress at the theater, fine restaurants, etc. in suit and tie. I'm always overdressed by today's standards?

Indeed I do. Now I think that's probably going too far, at least unless you're at a fine restaurant, but I have seen people showing up in pajamas and slippers at sit-down restaurants and that should never be acceptable.

There were/are some places that keep a few jackets/ties on hand.

The dumbest, IMO, are those that show up under dressed for a job interview. I've interviewed dozens. Half get eliminated when walking in the door.

My first commercial flight was on a DC-3; had to walk uphill, as it was a tail-dragger and the noise was terrible. People dressed up then and when I got my first jet flight. Now they travel in sweat suits and flip-flops and will likely have some smelly/messy carry-on
food. And don’t get me started on hygiene........

There were/are some places that keep a few jackets/ties on hand.

My first commercial flight was on a DC-3; had to walk uphill, as it was a tail-dragger and the noise was terrible. People dressed up then and when I got my first jet flight. Now they travel in sweat suits and flip-flops and will likely have some smelly/messy carry-on
food. And don’t get me started on hygiene........

Yup, there were.

Back
Top Bottom