• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama: I would Change NFL Team Washington Redskin's Name.....

Should the Washington Redskins Change the Team Name?

• Tomahawk Barack.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mornin Mason'......I would agree. But now they are going after the Teams Trademark. How can they go after their trademark?

Good Morning MMC, they can't. The vocal opposition will just try to cost the team as much money as they can to make it not worth it to fight. It is extorsion and I bet there is not one native American in the group that is complaining.

No, that is not how it works.

The team is a privately owned business and the public does not have the right to vote on if a private business will change their name.

If they are offended, they can stay away from the games.

I doubt the team will see any drop in attendance.

Usually the ones complaining the loudest have nothing to do with the issue on either side.

While I would normally agree with you, there is a blurred line when it come to public perception. If a majority of the group of the 'offended' were to say yes, it bothers them, how much goodwill could be obtained by making the change?

Legally, since it is privately held, no, they have no obligation.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. ;)

While I would normally agree with you, there is a blurred line when it come to public perception. If a majority of the group of the 'offended' were to say yes, it bothers them, how much goodwill could be obtained by making the change?

Legally, since it is privately held, no, they have no obligation.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. ;)

How much goodwill do you think is worth monetarily to quiet a couple of people that have a problem with the name compared to the millions of dollars it would cost to change the name on every piece of merchandise out there plus the uniforms and everywhere else the name exists?

How many die hard fans would stop going to the games if the name was changed, thereby losing the team more money?

This team has a rich history in this country and to just cut it off for a couple of loud voices seems like a crime.

Do you think any of those people that are complaining would ever go see a game or buy a jersey even after the name was changed?

I am sure it is a financial decision more than anything else.

I love when Captain Limp wrist tries to act like a regular guy and comment on sports.

Careful Now DM.....you know how the Kool Aid drinkers will go into a melt down mode for saying something about Obama or his Slurpers. :lamo

Redskins is too noble a name for anything in Washington. Sellouts, thieves, panderers, liars and crooks. Any of those would be a good name for the team.

How much goodwill do you think is worth monetarily to quiet a couple of people that have a problem with the name compared to the millions of dollars it would cost to change the name on every piece of merchandise out there plus the uniforms and everywhere else the name exists?

How many die hard fans would stop going to the games if the name was changed, thereby losing the team more money?

This team has a rich history in this country and to just cut it off for a couple of loud voices seems like a crime.

Do you think any of those people that are complaining would ever go see a game or buy a jersey even after the name was changed?

I am sure it is a financial decision more than anything else.

And how many would attend if the name isn't changed?

The trade value of the pre-name change on merchandise would go up a few ticks... ;)

I'm not for or against, but sometimes perception does count for something.

The trade value of the pre-name change on merchandise would go up a few ticks... ;)

Just one last point. You might be right that the pre-name change items that have been sold might go up, but what about the millions of dollars of inventory the team has right now that they would not be able to sell if the name is changed? That inventory has to be thrown out or destroyed then replaced with the new name. Very costly.

Redskins is too noble a name for anything in Washington. Sellouts, thieves, panderers, liars and crooks. Any of those would be a good name for the team.

Mornin' PB :2wave: What about Blue Man Group for name in DC? :lamo

<<<<< Looks GG Up and Down
shades.gif
......my, my, my.....Now that does count for something.
love10.gif
wink.gif

Former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs recently told radio station WNEW, “I never ever thought of it as anything negative, but it’s all been a positive and I think that’s what I reflect on when I reflect on the song, the games and everybody being loyal Redskin people.”

Davis said Obama was probably unaware of a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Institute showing that nine out of 10 Native Americans were not offended by the team’s name. The study, the only major survey on the issue that has focused on Native Americans, has long been held up by defenders as a reason to leave the name alone.

“At the end of the day, if the owner can’t get the media to use the name, then it doesn’t have any brand value,” he said.

Hundt’s FCC strategy comes as a number of prominent sportswriters, most recently Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, have declared they will not use the word.

Trademark lawsuit

Phil Gover was a 23-year-old recent graduate of the University of Virginia when he joined a lawsuit to revoke the Redskins’ federal trademark protection. A similar suit, brought by Suzan Harjo and seven other Native Americans in 1992, was thrown out on a technicality in 2009. Now with final arguments presented before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, a decision in the current case could come any day.

If the ruling falls in favor of Gover, now 31, and the four other plaintiffs, the team would not be forced to change its name but would lose its registered trademark status, which helps protect it from individuals looking to sell merchandise with the moniker on it. In the past, trademark office examiners have rejected four other applications that used the word Redskins, including “Redskins Pigskins” and “Redskins Fanatics,” on grounds that they were disparaging.

The lawmakers have introduced a bipartisan bill that, like the lawsuit, would strip the team of its trademark protection. In his letter, Goodell called the name “a unifying force that stands for strength, courage, pride and respect.”.....snip~

President Obama says, ‘I’d think about changing’ name of Washington Redskins - The Washington Post

Thing is Marshall made the deal by stopping the cheerleaders and other concessions.....but that the name would remain the same. On another note.....Lanny Davis has been laying into Obama for quite some time.

Obama have a better perspective to address this issue than you because he is more studied in America's history.

I have to admit, that was funny. Thanks for the laugh.

What would make you think Obama knows anything about Native American history? Are there a lot of Native Americans in Hawaii, I mean the kind that are referred to by this name?

As a matter of fact we don't know anything of what Obama knows from his college days, do we?

I have to admit, that was funny. Thanks for the laugh.

What would make you think Obama knows anything about Native American history? Are there a lot of Native Americans in Hawaii, I mean the kind that are referred to by this name?

As a matter of fact we don't know anything of what Obama knows from his college days, do we?

Yeah we do.....and history wasn't one of them. Other than the mandatory requirement to get a Degree. ;)

Yeah we do.....and history wasn't one of them. Other than the mandatory requirement to get a Degree. ;)

We don't know what he got in that class.

He might have just barely passed it without paying attention to anything in class.

Did they teach Native American outrages in college back then?

Be alright if we had a President that was into all kinds of Sports. Then I could go for that. What do you think? Should Obama be weighing in on this and trying to bring this issue into the Political World of PC?

Should the Washington Redskin Owner Change the Name? If this was such a problem wouldn't all Native Americans be all up into this issue?

"Its none of my business. Im sure the people would rather hear about something that is. Next question."

Also, please use quotes when you quote stuff.

"Its none of my business. Im sure the people would rather hear about something that is. Next question."

Also, please use quotes when you quote stuff.

Then you people would be bitching that Obama was dodging a question because he refused to take a stance.

Good Morning MMC, they can't. The vocal opposition will just try to cost the team as much money as they can to make it not worth it to fight. It is extorsion and I bet there is not one native American in the group that is complaining.
How much do you want to bet?

"In the 1940s the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) created a campaign to eliminate negative stereotyping of Native American people in the media. Over time, the campaign began to focus on Indian names and mascots in sports.[7] The NCAI maintains that teams with mascots such as the Braves and the Redskins perpetuate negative stereotypes of Native American people, and demean their native traditions and rituals."

How much do you want to bet?

"In the 1940s the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) created a campaign to eliminate negative stereotyping of Native American people in the media. Over time, the campaign began to focus on Indian names and mascots in sports.[7] The NCAI maintains that teams with mascots such as the Braves and the Redskins perpetuate negative stereotypes of Native American people, and demean their native traditions and rituals."

So are they the ones complaining now?

You do know the 1940s was along time ago.

So are they the ones complaining now?

You do know the 1940s was along time ago.
Um....that was "since 1940". They are still working to get the names changed.
Anti-Defamation & Mascots | NCAI

Recently the Oneida tribe has begun a media campaign against the Redskins independently.

Just accept you lost the bet and make an effort to educate yourself on the arguments and those making them against such mascots.

We don't know what he got in that class.

He might have just barely passed it without paying attention to anything in class.

Did they teach Native American outrages in college back then?

Yeah, I figured that's what he did, going with the civics and the law classes.

Heya GM. :2wave: Lanny Davis representing the team. Cited the Annenberg Poll of 2004. Which in truth is an Old Poll. They should come up with a newer one. In bringing out the issue.

Lanny Davis, an attorney for Snyder, defended his client's decision to stick with the "Redskins," pointing to a 2004 Annenberg Institute poll that found nine out of 10 Native Americans were not offended by the team's name.....snip~

Course Davis is a Clinton-ite and stands with the teams History.

well, my 2013 poll in my living room found that 3 out of 3 Natives thought the name Redskins sucked and shouldn't be allowed in this day and age.

Back
Top Bottom