• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

No Parade for Troops Is Planned

I think most of the veterans would prefer to just be welcomed to their own home, be with their family, and then have a chance to get a good job so they can take care of them.

And you're speaking from a very uninformed opinion, as well.

As a veteran, I can tell you that you're sadly mistaken.

They want to see that their country values their service.

I say, "welcome home", to every Vietnam Veteran I see and most tell me that it's the first time anyone actually said that to them.

I say, because I know there's a damn good chance that no one has ever welcomed them home. There's something very wrong with that.

I think it would be nice to have a parade for them, but it's not needed nor does not having one mean we don't appreciate them.

Do you like it when your boyfriend tells you he loves you, or do you just want to assume it?

You know what would be a better way to welcome them home? How about finding a way to make our politicians accountable when they make reckless foreign policy decisions. How about telling them that the American people will try as hard as possible to not send them into harms way to potentially die for the dirtbags in Hamid Karzai's regime. How about making sure that we will only risk their lives when it's a worthy cause.

And how about we make sure they won't go to war unless it was actually voted on by congress?

Well, our soldiers are worth getting a good job and health care. I kinda doubt our nation will give most of them those things too.

Of course they won't give those things to them. They have to go get them on their own. Except for the healthcare.

Being home and being welcomed home are two different things.

That was the wrong answer too.

Our Iraqi troops are the most welcomed and loved men and women in uniform since WWII. And they know it. Do you think a parade that features several thousand troops means much to the approximately 3 million troop rotations there? Let's look elsewhere to fault the American people and our government...there's plenty of opportunity. This, to me, isn't one of them. There is no victory. Again.

I understand where you're coming from and respect your opinion. I just can't share it. At all.

Our Iraqi troops are the most welcomed and loved men and women in uniform since WWII. And they know it. Do you think a parade that features several thousand troops means much to the approximately 3 million troop rotations there? Let's look elsewhere to fault the American people and our government...there's plenty of opportunity. This, to me, isn't one of them. There is no victory. Again.

I understand where you're coming from and respect your opinion. I just can't share it. At all.

Yes...I do.

I guess one has to be a vet to really understand.

Do you like it when your boyfriend tells you he loves you, or do you just want to assume it?

I don't need a big production nor would I feel comfortable with one. It's the little things...

Yes...I do.

Everyone is different, Apdst. And as I said, I totally respect your opinion. Tom was in Viet Nam -- DaNang -- prepping our fallen solders' bodies for their final ride home in the mortuary. He was told not to wear his uniform when he came home because of the awul demonstrations going on -- baby killers! Spitting on them! It was awful. But I took your statement "one has to be a vet to really understand" to heart. And asked him.

He laughed (not in derision, by any means) and said..."All that money cities/towns would spend on parades could be better spent helping these vets find employment in this lousy economy." I agree with him.

Just FYI, last October, a group called Warriors Watch "welcomed" Tom and his friend home from Viet Nam as a surprise. 50 or so motorcycles with vets atop, a fire engine, couple cop cars. He cried -- his best buddy who's dying of prostate cancer from Agent Orange cried. Those vets standing in front of them in line to hug and shake their hands meant more to them than a thousand parades...

So I just may understand a bit more than the average bear...Warriors’ Watch Riders: WE HAVE YOUR BACKS AT HOME!

Korea...Viet Nam...shame.on.us.

Tom 65 042.jpg

Last edited:
I don't need a big production nor would I feel comfortable with one. It's the little things...

Well, it's a good thing you're not speaking for our returning warriors.

The only glory in war is returning home, knowing your country loves you and seeing your countrymen show that appreciation.

Now, some folks want to deprive our soldiers of the only glory they'll ever get out of this, or any other war. That's a shame.

are YOU going to pay for all the police and sanitation workers required for a tickertape parade down Broadway???????????

I didn't hear you bitching about the tab that the occutards left the taxpayers with. Suddenly, it's a problem??

Our service members did a helluva lot more for this country than the occutard clowns ever did.

Well, it's a good thing you're not speaking for our returning warriors.

The only glory in war is returning home, knowing your country loves you and seeing your countrymen show that appreciation.

Now, some folks want to deprive our soldiers of the only glory they'll ever get out of this, or any other war. That's a shame.

Well guess what, we live in a free country, so you are welcome to start organizing a parade to honor the returning soldiers from Iraq. Nothing is stopping you, and I'm sure you'd have plenty of support.

What do you think about that idea?

Everyone is different, Apdst. And as I said, I totally respect your opinion. Tom was in Viet Nam -- DaNang -- prepping our fallen solders' bodies for their final ride home in the mortuary. He was told not to wear his uniform when he came home because of the awul demonstrations going on -- baby killers! Spitting on them! It was awful. But I took your statement "one has to be a vet to really understand" to heart. And asked him.

He laughed (not in derision, by any means) and said..."All that money cities/towns would spend on parades could be better spent helping these vets find employment in this lousy economy." I agree with him.

Just FYI, last October, a group called Warriors Watch "welcomed" Tom and his friend home from Viet Nam as a surprise. 50 or so motorcycles with vets atop, a fire engine, couple cop cars. He cried -- his best buddy who's dying of prostate cancer from Agent Orange cried. Those vets standing in front of them in line to hug and shake their hands meant more to them than a thousand parades...

So I just may understand a bit more than the average bear...Warriors’ Watch Riders: WE HAVE YOUR BACKS AT HOME!

Korea...Viet Nam...shame.on.us.

View attachment 67120324

Thank him for his service, for me.

I know a lot of Vietnam vets that are still raw about the crappy home coming they received.

Well guess what, we live in a free country, so you are welcome to start organizing a parade to honor the returning soldiers from Iraq. Nothing is stopping you, and I'm sure you'd have plenty of support.

What do you think about that idea?

I love it! Wanna join me and prove that, "we support the troops by ending the war", wasn't just political bull****??

I love it! Wanna join me and prove that, "we support the troops by ending the war", wasn't just political bull****??

I would join you if I actually said that. :shrug:

You spend a lot of time complaining about "libbos", but all that time you spend sitting at your computer could be used to take action. So why don't you already?

Yes...I do.

the more I read this thread the more it becomes about you and not getting that big pat on the back you always wanted. Newsflash mate not all Vets want parades, free dinners at applebees, money off cars or wear hats so they can let eveyone know they were a Vet. If thats what you are about then all the power to you but don't presume all Vets want the same as you, most Vets just want to go home to the family and get a career!

the more I read this thread the more it becomes about you and not getting that big pat on the back you always wanted. Newsflash mate not all Vets want parades, free dinners at applebees, money off cars or wear hats so they can let eveyone know they were a Vet. If thats what you are about then all the power to you but don't presume all Vets want the same as you, most Vets just want to go home to the family and get a career!

British Army I presume?

Thank god they are home...

But parade for this war? Seriously? We invaded a sovereign country that posed no threat to us. We were lied to, to go to war. And we occupied their land. Started a civil war. Left the country in pieces.
I would rather not have a parade for that.

Thank god they are home...

But parade for this war? Seriously? We invaded a sovereign country that posed no threat to us. We were lied to, to go to war. And we occupied their land. Started a civil war. Left the country in pieces.
I would rather not have a parade for that.

How many times does it have to be said, it's not for the war?

Back
Top Bottom