• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

No Parade for Troops Is Planned

There was a huge celebration in VE Day. That was just one theater of WW2. This should be no different.

The Nazis officially surrendered *that day* - not hardly the same thing. . . and our military business worldwide never ends. Most of the time one thing just rolls into another with a fuzzy swatch in between.

Lets wait until the actual War on Terror is over with - then I'll celebrate when I don't have to worry about my husband deploying to the Middle East again.

This doesn't mean that small 'our boys are home' celebrations are over hte top or insulting or something - but it's just not time for the grand affair . . . and we might never have one, it depends on how long this 10years war drags on.

Last edited:
if Obama called for a parade for our troops in DC, you would be condemning his wild-spending sprees and for politicizing the war.

I'd be insulted that he's ignoring the other thousands of troops who are deployed under his orders and suffering while the celebration rages on - no celebration for them whilst they sustain injury and lose another night of sleep.

It would be a disgrace.

It's not about the war, it's about the troops.

Screw'em, now. Huh?

One would think that the Libbos would want to celebrate the end of the war and that our troops are home and no longer in harms way.

I guess all that, "I oppose the war, but love our soldiers", and, "Support the troops by ending the war", thing was just bull****. I figgered it was.

I'm not sure what Libbos think, but I can tell you what I think.

You're comparing an ongoing campaign (the war on terror) with the end of WWII? There was a genuine threat to the entire world during that period. Half of Europe was leveled or conquered, there was a holocaust, and millions upon millions of people died. The war in Iraq is no comparison. The parades at the end of WWII were a unified celebration. It meant years of anguish, loss, and potential worldwide tyranny were over.

The war in Iraq has nothing to do with most people. The majority are not affected by it. We should support our soldiers, but your pipe dream of a parade of solidarity is not called for. I would not attend such a parade, not with the state of our country and the fact that the lies which lead us into that war were never really addressed.

If you want to have a ticker tape parade, then come up with a better argument than comparing it to one of the most costly wars that we and our allies have ever witnessed. Digging up the past dishonors those who are at rest, and that includes members of my own ancestors who died. Have some respect please.

Last edited:
Isn't it sort ironic that there is no celebration planned.

From what I remember the entire fiasco was poorly planned from the get go, weird how this is surprising people now.

Maybe Haliburton or some other corporation that profited should be throwing the party.

I'd be insulted that he's ignoring the other thousands of troops who are deployed under his orders and suffering while the celebration rages on - no celebration for them whilst they sustain injury and lose another night of sleep.

It would be a disgrace.

I agree with this. Since our President was given unilateral deployment powers of our military, our good soldiers have been in continuous combat on multiple fronts with nations who posed no threat to us. The last thing I want to do is celebrate victory when our people are being maimed and killed in active combat. They would feel left behind.

screw em'??

who are the ones not taking care of our soldiers with PTSD, amputations, and other injuries from 10 years at war?

its not the Liberals.

Of course it's not the Libbos. Our soldiers are useless to them, now.

You shouldn't let your politics get in the way of your view of this war. A great number of a mistakes were made and many of the objectives laid out when we first went to war were never accomplished. They were not accomplished, NOT because our troops lacked the ability or strength to achieve them, but because poor planning or poor intelligence made the task impossible before it was even begun. On top of that it will take years if not decades to judge the full effect of the Iraq War, right now their government is pretty shaky and it falling apart would not be a victory for the United States.

We owe it to the troops who died, those who were killed or wounded, to recognize the mistakes that were made, the failures in intelligence and planning that led to some objectives not being complete. I know you'll probably look at this like Vietnam and declare that once we leave, what happens there stops counting and has nothing to do with us. I don't know how but somehow you deny that our actions have effects the day after we leave, and I tell if this government falls apart part of the blame will belong with the United States. After all, we are the ones to help create it and we should get some credit if it succeeds and blame if it does not. Don't make use the same argument you had for Vietnam, that when we left South Vietnam was a Democracy, never mind they never had an election and were overrun in a few short years, it was "ok" when we left, thats all that counts, that means we won!!

Its about more than winning and losing, and those terms are so hard to define in these kinds of wars. No, admitting mistakes and looking where we error-ed, is important and we OWE it to the troops to ensure we don't place them in impossible situations again, or situations were their sacrifices are ultimately a waste because our information or planning wasn't up to standard and someone was killed over it.

It's not about the war. It's about our soldiers. I would expect you know that Lieutenant.

We won a victory in Iraq, as well.

Not really - we handed over the keys. I wouldn't call it a win/lose - it was a change in governance.

Can people fathom a theater coming to a close without a technical win or a loss?

if Obama called for a parade for our troops in DC, you would be condemning his wild-spending sprees and for politicizing the war.

No, I wouldn't. You just want to throw some political hackery into the discussion.

Not really - we handed over the keys. I wouldn't call it a win/lose - it was a change in governance.

First, we had to defeat the enemy. Which our soldiers did a damn fine job of doing.

First, we had to defeat the enemy. Which our soldiers did a damn fine job of doing.

You know it was more complex than that. . . we dealt with ever changing goals and an ever changing front. It slowly metamorphosized - and we only left because they wanted us out.

I think ticker tape parades should only be held when Congress actually votes to go to war.

I think Congress should actually have the balls to vote to go to war when when send our troops to fight in wars.

Being home and being welcomed home are two different things.

I think most of the veterans would prefer to just be welcomed to their own home, be with their family, and then have a chance to get a good job so they can take care of them.

That's ****ed up! It sucks when history repeats itself like this.

We should have parades to commemoration military personnel on Veterans Day and/or Memorial Day. That's it. The Iraq and Afghan Wars =/= the Lakers winning the NBA championship. There's really nothing worth celebrating in my opinion.

You know it was more complex than that. . . we dealt with ever changing goals and an ever changing front. It slowly metamorphosized - and we only left because they wanted us out.

You're making it more complex than it really is.

The bottom line is, our soldiers completed the mission they were given. Now, they have earned our thanks and a damn fine welcome home.

We should have parades to commemoration military personnel on Veterans Day and/or Memorial Day. That's it. The Iraq and Afghan Wars =/= the Lakers winning the NBA championship. There's really nothing worth celebrating in my opinion.

Our soldiers aren't worth it? That's great!!!

The "War on Terror" is still going on, though - so no, it's not over: one Theater is closed. It is NOT yet time to celebrate an end because it's not over.

And with NDAA 2012, it covers the entire world and even includes the United States and it's domestic citizens.

The bottom line is, our soldiers completed the mission they were given. Now, they have earned our thanks and a damn fine welcome home.

You know what would be a better way to welcome them home? How about finding a way to make our politicians accountable when they make reckless foreign policy decisions. How about telling them that the American people will try as hard as possible to not send them into harms way to potentially die for the dirtbags in Hamid Karzai's regime. How about making sure that we will only risk their lives when it's a worthy cause.

Last edited:
Our soldiers aren't worth it? That's great!!!

Well, our soldiers are worth getting a good job and health care. I kinda doubt our nation will give most of them those things too.

I'm not saying they didn't and they don't - I'm just saying maybe the ultimate celebration should wait

I think it would be nice to have a parade for them, but it's not needed nor does not having one mean we don't appreciate them.

Back
Top Bottom