• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

No Parade for Troops Is Planned

your claim: "they get free healthcare for life".

please provide evidence that all Iraq & Afghan War vets qualify for free healthcare for life.

thanks bro.

Also its not free in alot of cases. Depends on your disability rating, how much money you make and whats wrong with you. Nope free medical for life is a lie

Thunder, et al,

This is complicate.

(COMMENT)

I live in Columbus, Ohio. I am Retired Army with a Service Connected VA Disability Rating of 60%. At Wright-Patterson AFB Dayton, I was turned away. But I do get treatment at the local VAOPC in Columbus. So far, I have not been charge a single thing in over 20 years of retirement; and I have had some extensive hospitalizations.

Having said that, the VA always asks for my private insurance. I don't know the particulars, but I think there is some sort of billing arrangement between the VA and my private carrier. When I came back from the Persian Gulf, I was having serious issues and the VA fixed me right up, after 3 weeks in Mount Carmel East Medical Center. I did not receive any billing.

I don't exactly know how it all works. I just know what I have experienced.

Most Respectfully,
R

At 60% most of medical would be paid for. There is a charge but Ive noticed the VA justnot sending the bill to servicemembers. I just ignored them until they stopped sending them

And conservatives just make money off them....THEN toss them into homelessness yuphow about sating the truth that NIETHER party is giving a dAmn about us. At least OBAMA is spending more money on VA. Not near enough but more than Bush who used us up for their financial gain.

Show me a homeless vet that does not have an alcohol or drug problem, and I can get that vet into a shelter within 5 days (up to 31 days if they are willing to stop their drug or alcohol use). There are tons of programs out there to help such veterans, both government and private. But the problem is that most "homeless vets" are either liars, or so addicted to drugs or alcohol that they would rather live on the street or in transiant shelters then get real help for their problems.

U.S.VETS- Veteran Services: Housing, Job Training, Counseling

This organization helped me when I needed it. And I saw a revolving door of veterans come and go for the 9 months that I was there. About 40% (like me) were able to regain employment and moved out. About 40% were eventually released for either failing to follow the "clean and sober" requirements, fighting, or other things to get them kicked out of the program (one I remember would never bathe, and would use the stairway as a bathroom). Another 20% live there in a transitional living situation. I have known some people that have been there for 10 years.

Then there are the fake vets. One guy I met last year was frequently holding a sign claiming he was a homeless vet. I was stopped at a light one time next to him, and noticed his "Vietnam Vet" sign. I rolled down the window and asked him how old he was. He then told me he was 49. That means he must have been fighting in Vietnam when he was 11 years old. I have met others that claimed they were vets, but gave me bogus units (one told me he was "Marine Corps Special Services", ask a Marine what that really means), claimed to be of a specific MOS (normally Infantry) and could not identify their own job identifier, and other such nonsense.

I suggest you try reading the following article:

This ain't Hell, but you can see it from here » Blog Archive » Phony homeless veterans

And read the comments afterwards, especially #11.

The "Homeless Vet" is 98% a bunch of crap. Most that make such claims in my experience are either fakes, or addicts who refuse to stop their self-destructive lifestyle. I know that when I was with US Vet, I would carry around a stack of cards telling veterans where to go for help. I must have given out over 500 of these over the next 3 years.

And not one of them ever tried to check in for help. Of course, since a DD-214 is required, fakes do not try to get in more then once.

At 60% most of medical would be paid for. There is a charge but Ive noticed the VA justnot sending the bill to servicemembers. I just ignored them until they stopped sending them

Whenever you go to the VA, they will ask for your private insurance. If you have one, they will send part of the bill to them.

If you do not have your own insurance, they will generally never push any kind of payment. The only time I have ever heard of them pushing something is when they took care of somebody on an emergency situation. And even then it is not very hard, they generally charge a fraction of what an emergency room would charge.

Yeah... after smiting Hitler sure... after Afghanistan? Doubtful.

Troops' sacrifice should be respected... but Iraq wasn't a legit war. :shrug:

Neither was Vietnam right? So a man gets killed in Iraq, and you say **** him....it wasn't legitimate. Got it!

Neither was Vietnam right? So a man gets killed in Iraq, and you say **** him....it wasn't legitimate. Got it!

I don't think they have parades over wars that basically aren't won... or straight up lost... anywhere.

American, MKULTRABOY, et al,

Well, the assumption and comparison of the legitimacy status between Vietnam (one set of laws) and Iraq (a completely different set of laws) is incorrect. (Apples & Oranges)

Yeah... after smiting Hitler sure... after Afghanistan? Doubtful.

Troops' sacrifice should be respected... but Iraq wasn't a legit war. :shrug:

(COMMENT)

It is actually a slight of hand. Congress, for all intent and purposes, pre-authorized the conflict. Congress abdicated its responsibility and handed it to The President. The war in Iraq is 100% Legitimate by Public Law, an act of Congress.

In Vietnam, President Johnson used the "Gulf of Tonkin" Resolution (August 7, 1964) to justify his authority. The laws were different then and the Power of the Presidency was different.

Divided War Powers: The President & the Congress said:
On August 7, 1964, Congress approved what is known as the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, supporting "all necessary measures to repel any armed attack against the forces of the United States and to prevent further aggression."
SOURCE: Teachable Moment -

Most Respectfully,
R

Weird, Ive never seen anyone given any **** for being in uniform anywhere.
And for that many people to do that in one place.

Neither have I. Nor have I read any stories in the paper about it.

I traveled all over the place during the Vietnam war in uniform because you had to be in uniform to fly military standby and I never once had anybody yell at me or insult me. I can't believe that the war in Afghanistan is any less popular than the Vietnam war.

Last edited:
That is just absolutely heartbreaking. I remember these type of events from the Vietnam era but I had no idea that these alleged humans were conducting themselves this way in modern times.

It won't make up for this but:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

Except, of course, there is no evidence that it actually happened during the Vietnam War. A lot of anecdotes that never, ever proved to be factual.

Drooling on the Vietnam Vets - Slate Magazine

This based on extensive research by a Vietnam Veteran, who chalks it up to too many people watching Rambo and remembering Stallone's speech.

As I said earlier, it never happened to me and I never heard of it happening to anybody I ever served with.

Might have there been an incident or two? Sure, but nothing like to the extent that is portrayed. It's an urban myth.

Last edited:
That's ****ed up! It sucks when history repeats itself like this.

What history? Why a parade for a bunch of murdering killbots?

They can have their parade. Why not? Organize it yourself.

American, MKULTRABOY, et al,

Well, the assumption and comparison of the legitimacy status between Vietnam (one set of laws) and Iraq (a completely different set of laws) is incorrect. (Apples & Oranges)

(COMMENT)

It is actually a slight of hand. Congress, for all intent and purposes, pre-authorized the conflict. Congress abdicated its responsibility and handed it to The President. The war in Iraq is 100% Legitimate by Public Law, an act of Congress.

In Vietnam, President Johnson used the "Gulf of Tonkin" Resolution (August 7, 1964) to justify his authority. The laws were different then and the Power of the Presidency was different.

Most Respectfully,
R

Pardon, me... I recall now. I'll revert to 'unjust war' with no political capital.

Neither have I. Nor have I read any stories in the paper about it.

What should I have done, called the press or police every time sume tard did that to me?

And a lot of the difference between incidents like that also depend on where you are. I almost never had an unkind word thrown at me outside of California. That state really is a world unto itself.

Back
Top Bottom