• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

No Parade for Troops Is Planned

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
That's ****ed up! It sucks when history repeats itself like this.

Americans won't be seeing a huge ticker-tape parade in New York City anytime soon for troops returning from Iraq.

It's not clear if veterans of the nine-year campaign will ever enjoy the grand, flag-waving, red-white-and-blue homecoming that the nation's fighting men and women received after World War II and the Gulf War.

As Iraq War Ends, No Parade for Troops Is Planned | NBC New York

I was looking forward to you attacking Obama for only having the parade so he could have a photo op at the taxpayers' expense.

Bummer.

OMFG. Do you actually think that some stupid ticker-tape parade (with photo ops, as above poster points out) that costs millions of dollars means anything? Our boys are home. Thank God. Jeesh.

Any ticker-tape parades for Korea, Viet Nam? Can't we do anything without wasting taxpayer dollars? What a worthless statement. A ticker-tape parade.

OMFG. Do you actually think that some stupid ticker-tape parade (with photo ops, as above poster points out) that costs millions of dollars means anything? Our boys are home. Thank God. Jeesh.

Any ticker-tape parades for Korea, Viet Nam? Can't we do anything without wasting taxpayer dollars? What a worthless statement. A ticker-tape parade.

I think ticker tape parades should only be held when Congress actually votes to go to war.

Being home and being welcomed home are two different things.

That was the wrong answer too.

what amazing victory is there to celebrate?

the war was a disaster for much of its 9 years.

and do YOU want to find the money for NYC to throw this parade????

Personally dont think it would be appropriate to hold a victory parade given it was supposed to be a victory for the people of Iraq, the US needs something like Royal Wooten Basset in the UK where people can come and honour the fallen and thank them as they got to their final resting place

what amazing victory is there to celebrate?

the war was a disaster for much of its 9 years.

and do YOU want to find the money for NYC to throw this parade????

Well, I wondered how long it would take for the Libbos to declare defeat.

Personally dont think it would be appropriate to hold a victory parade given it was supposed to be a victory for the people of Iraq, the US needs something like Royal Wooten Basset in the UK where people can come and honour the fallen and thank them as they got to their final resting place

It's perfectly appropriate to throw a victory parade, because our troops were victorious.

Unless, like others in this thread, you're suggesting that they're losers.

The Conservatives declared victory 30 days into the war.

:lamo:lamo

Because we already knew that our troops were going to successfully perform every single mission they were tasked with. Turns out we were right.

I know there are Libbos who are disappointed that the friendly body count was so low and that our troops performed so admirably, but that's no reason not to honor their service.

It's perfectly appropriate to throw a victory parade, because our troops were victorious.

Unless, like others in this thread, you're suggesting that they're losers.

I dont really think their was a winner or a loser. After my tour in Basra I did not feel like we had won anything, I just had a sense of acheivment and the hope that the people in Basra might have a decent future.

Because we already knew that our troops were going to successfully perform every single mission they were tasked with. Turns out we were right.....

really??

they found those weapons of mass-destruction?

they found that link between 9-11 & Saddam?

they found that Iraqi nuclear weapons program???

we were welcomed as liberators and had a cake-walk???

Iraq is now a vibrant & peaceful democracy?

bull-****ing-****.

I dont really think their was a winner or a loser. After my tour in Basra I did not feel like we had won anything, I just had a sense of acheivment and the hope that the people in Basra might have a decent future.

When a military unit achieves the objectives assigned to it, it equates to victory.

really??

they found those weapons of mass-destruction?

they found that link between 9-11 & Saddam?

they found that Iraqi nuclear weapons program???

we were welcomed as liberators and had a cake-walk???

Iraq is now a vibrant & peaceful democracy?

bull-****ing-****.

So, our boys are losers to you? Nice!

I'm sure communities all over America are holding parades for their soldiers. I don't see why the whole country has to be dragged into one. Most people do not support the Iraq war anymore.

When a military unit achieves the objectives assigned to it, it equates to victory.

yes but its the manner of the victory and the circumstances around it. Personally I dont think a victory parade would do Americas reputation in the middle east any good.

The "War on Terror" is still going on, though - so no, it's not over: one Theater is closed. It is NOT yet time to celebrate an end because it's not over.

Many who served in Iraq have also served elsewhere since then (Afghanistan, Pakistan, other areas and endeavors that have come up) - or will soon be going back out . . . I think having a ceremony pre-emptively is absurd if deployments are still being cycled and no end is actually in sight to any of our endeavors.

I'm surprised it's even been consider on such a large scale before it's actually over with.

Last edited:
I'm sure communities all over America are holding parades for their soldiers. I don't see why the whole country has to be dragged into one. Most people do not support the Iraq war anymore.

It's not about the war, it's about the troops.

Screw'em, now. Huh?

One would think that the Libbos would want to celebrate the end of the war and that our troops are home and no longer in harms way.

I guess all that, "I oppose the war, but love our soldiers", and, "Support the troops by ending the war", thing was just bull****. I figgered it was.

The "War on Terror" is still going on, though - so no, it's not over: one Theater is closed. It is NOT yet time to celebrate an end because it's not over.

Many who served in Iraq have also served elsewhere since then - or will soon. . . I think having a ceremony pre-emptively is absurd. I'm surprised it's even been consider.

There was a huge celebration in VE Day. That was just one theater of WW2. This should be no different.

Because we already knew that our troops were going to successfully perform every single mission they were tasked with. Turns out we were right.

I know there are Libbos who are disappointed that the friendly body count was so low and that our troops performed so admirably, but that's no reason not to honor their service.

You shouldn't let your politics get in the way of your view of this war. A great number of a mistakes were made and many of the objectives laid out when we first went to war were never accomplished. They were not accomplished, NOT because our troops lacked the ability or strength to achieve them, but because poor planning or poor intelligence made the task impossible before it was even begun. On top of that it will take years if not decades to judge the full effect of the Iraq War, right now their government is pretty shaky and it falling apart would not be a victory for the United States.

We owe it to the troops who died, those who were killed or wounded, to recognize the mistakes that were made, the failures in intelligence and planning that led to some objectives not being complete. I know you'll probably look at this like Vietnam and declare that once we leave, what happens there stops counting and has nothing to do with us. I don't know how but somehow you deny that our actions have effects the day after we leave, and I tell if this government falls apart part of the blame will belong with the United States. After all, we are the ones to help create it and we should get some credit if it succeeds and blame if it does not. Don't make use the same argument you had for Vietnam, that when we left South Vietnam was a Democracy, never mind they never had an election and were overrun in a few short years, it was "ok" when we left, thats all that counts, that means we won!!

Its about more than winning and losing, and those terms are so hard to define in these kinds of wars. No, admitting mistakes and looking where we error-ed, is important and we OWE it to the troops to ensure we don't place them in impossible situations again, or situations were their sacrifices are ultimately a waste because our information or planning wasn't up to standard and someone was killed over it.

There was a huge celebration in VE Day. That was just one theater of WW2. This should be no different.

Because we just won victory in Europe again and stopped Hitler and Mussolini?

Back
Top Bottom