• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What can your President do that will make you have confidence in him?

No, I did, those were ten irresistible and obvious choices though.

Then you'd know that things like these:
1) Fix our economy
2) Get the debt under control
3) Fix unemployment

7) Be transparent
8) Take care of the disadvantaged and needy in the U.S.
9) Reform the education system

are exactly the sort of thing I expressively condemned as being spam, not helpful, poor wording, you get it?

This was meant to be an exercise in making the anti-obama people and the pro-obama people find some common ground. Maybe get a better understanding instead of the superficial, partisan-dictated ones.

You are a person. Not a politician. Your interest should not be what the politicians of the republican party interests are, but your own. And that goes the same for everyone.

This quote comes to mind seeing this thread:

“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

-Douglas Adams The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Then you'd know that things like these:
1) Fix our economy
2) Get the debt under control
3) Fix unemployment

7) Be transparent
8) Take care of the disadvantaged and needy in the U.S.
9) Reform the education system

are exactly the sort of thing I expressively condemned as being spam, not helpful, poor wording, you get it?

This was meant to be an exercise in making the anti-obama people and the pro-obama people find some common ground. Maybe get a better understanding instead of the superficial, partisan-dictated ones.

You are a person. Not a politician. Your interest should not be what the politicians of the republican party interests are, but your own. And that goes the same for everyone.

I wasn't being partisan and I am not a partisan kind of person. I legitimately desire and want those things. Like transparency, for example. I'm a proponent for it. I love information. Especially the kind that's been hidden away from us all that will change belief structures.

And I'm not anti-Obama either. He's the President of my country. I'd take a bullet for the man even though I've been disappointed with some of the things he's done... or hasn't done.

Simple .....one must never fail to point out the worst president America has ever seen...and for good reason....we need to have the proper perspective.

See.... you people were again trying to out do yourselves....you people thought Sarah Palin is presidential ...LOL!!:2wave:

BTW...you failed to see I did weigh in on the essential topic.
Pres Bush isn't the worst POTUS in American history (although he may be bottom 5). IMO, the worst in American history is presiding as we speak. Pres Obama has done NOTHING of worth in 8 years. At least Pres Bush could say he kept us safe after 9/11. Pres Obama can't even claim that. The one area where he was set up for success and he managed to screw it up too. Only he could find a way to screw up something that was considered a strength of our country, it's security.

So I am specifically asking anti-obama, conservative, republicans people as well as disenfranchized liberals who dislike Obama and his administration.

If he could do 1 thing, pass 1 law (assuming he has the power to pass said law through Congress automatically), participate in 1 event or I don't know, do 1 thing and 1 thing, what would be it so that you could say: Hmm, maybe he's not that bad. Maybe things will be good.

And I am not looking for things like: fix the economy or deregulate everything or resign. So if you give answers like this you're not participating in the discussion, you're basically spamming. Give more aimed answers that help fertilize a discussion and a frank exchange in opinion.

I want decisive answers.
Examples:
-I would like him to repeal the patriot act
-I would like him to ban assault rifles
-I would like him to drop Obamacare
-I would like to see him play baseball and promote sports.
-I would like him to stop foreign aid
-Withdraw all the troops in foreign theaters immidiatly
-Do arms-wrestling with Putin and win (jk)
-Stop blaming Bush or apologize for blaming bush. Show that he has guts.
-close gitmo.

This thread's purpose is to allow anti-obama people to reach across the DP aisle and hopefully lead to a better discussion instead of just partisan lines. So yeah... one thing that if he does it, it will make you have faith in him.

Alternatively, if you are a pro-obama person and you wish to participate, you could name one of the things he did that pleases you greatly and why you think he's a great president.
I'm not exactly anti-Obama, but I'm definitely not pro-Obama either. When he does good, good (what's he want, a cookie? He's supposed to do good). When he doesn't, I feel cheated.

I agree with almost that entire list of points, except assault weapons. I don't like that idea, it's too vague (Most definitions could arguably ban most pistols). Even a perfect definition of "assault weapon" doesn't actually mean you're taking guns from "bad" people or increasing public safety. We need a lot more evidence (scientific studies, not anecdotes), and a very specific definition of "assault weapon" to begin with, before it's even reasonable to make laws against them.

Personally, I want to see him raise the minimum wage and index it to inflation, punish the wall street bankers who necessitated the bailouts and/or took the money and ran, and start contracting some of our public services to the private sector (with assurances of policy stability, and for the purpose of decreasing govt. spending). On that last one in particular, I'd like to see the USPS' abolished (we have email and UPS/Fedex/etc.,), although with provisions to reinstate it if rate's go too high.

So I am specifically asking anti-obama, conservative, republicans people as well as disenfranchized liberals who dislike Obama and his administration.

If he could do 1 thing, ...., you could name one of the things he did that pleases you greatly and why you think he's a great president.

He could serve as Kaishaku at Joe Biden's Seppuku, then follow suit. This would increase my confidence greatly.

"....Therefore, I shall resign the Presidency effective at noon tomorrow."

Thrillas #1 rule concerning professional politicians.... never trust 'em.

Obama is a professional politician... he doesn't actually "do" anything... he talks.. and talks.. and talks.
he doesn't solve problems, he doesn't address issues... he gathers with other professional liars and they babble back and forth pretending that they are being productive while the real "players" in this country are people you've never heard of and don't get lifetime pensions for a few years of being a paid professional politician..

he can't solve the economy, he can't bring prosperity, he can't fix what ails you...

confidence in a man who holds a position that is utterly ineffectual?.. why?.... **** him.. I have confidence in the folks who move society and do the work.... the businessman, the artist, the worker, the musician, the mother, the father,... the people.

ta hell with El Presidente.. he can sit in the house we provide for him and give flowery speeches.. that's his role... that's what he's good for.

we can respect the office, even the man who holds it, but this reliance on the president, this worship of the president... it's trouble.

with that all said, I have no trust in the office or the men who sit in it.. therefore, asking me to have confidence in them is rather silly.

( this not only goes for Obama, for for anyone who holds that office..I trust no one that presumes to lord over people.)

If he could do 1 thing, pass 1 law (assuming he has the power to pass said law through Congress automatically), participate in 1 event or I don't know, do 1 thing and 1 thing, what would be it so that you could say: Hmm, maybe he's not that bad. Maybe things will be good.

And I am not looking for things like: fix the economy or deregulate everything or resign. So if you give answers like this you're not participating in the discussion, you're basically spamming. Give more aimed answers that help fertilize a discussion and a frank exchange in opinion.

I want decisive answers.
Examples:
-close gitmo.

This thread's purpose is to allow anti-obama people to reach across the DP aisle and hopefully lead to a better discussion instead of just partisan lines. So yeah... one thing that if he does it, it will make you have faith in him.

Alternatively, if you are a pro-obama person and you wish to participate, you could name one of the things he did that pleases you greatly and why you think he's a great president.

I'd like for him to reverse his political philosophy but, of course, that's unreasonable. I do think it reasonable to ask him to stop misleading the public (ie. "If you like the insurance you have now, you can keep it.") and present honest arguments in favor of his [bad] proposals.

I wasn't being partisan and I am not a partisan kind of person. I legitimately desire and want those things. Like transparency, for example. I'm a proponent for it. I love information. Especially the kind that's been hidden away from us all that will change belief structures.

And I'm not anti-Obama either. He's the President of my country. I'd take a bullet for the man even though I've been disappointed with some of the things he's done... or hasn't done.

You'd really take a bullet for Obama? Can only think of 4 reasons

1. your a super patriot?
2. your an idiot?
3. you have no confidence whatsoever in the VP?
4. your in the secret service and took an oath?

Did I miss something... there must be a reason

You'd really take a bullet for Obama? Can only think of 4 reasons

1. your a super patriot?
2. your an idiot?
3. you have no confidence whatsoever in the VP?
4. your in the secret service and took an oath?

Did I miss something... there must be a reason
Wow. I didn't think I would get called out for saying I would take a bullet for the President of the United States. I guess I figured my compatriots were above partisanship when it came to the safety of POTUS.

Anyway… it would be the honorable thing to do. The same as sacrificing oneself to protect an ordinary citizen, a child, a woman in distress.

Wow. I didn't think I would get called out for saying I would take a bullet for the President of the United States. I guess I figured my compatriots were above partisanship when it came to the safety of POTUS.

Why? He is a man just like you or me. An important POSITION, but not important in and of himself. The position can be filled by any number of other idiots, it wouldn't make a difference.

What can your President do that will make you have confidence in him?

Keep his promises? :shrug:

I may not agree with everything done or proposed, but at least I can respect someone who says what they mean and means what they say. I can then support or oppose accordingly from an honest position myself.

Admit to the scandals that are plaguing his administration.

Then resign.

Why? He is a man just like you or me. An important POSITION, but not important in and of himself. The position can be filled by any number of other idiots, it wouldn't make a difference.

It would be the honorable thing to do.

He wouldn't do it for you or me. As I said, just a man.

I'd do the same for practically anyone. Unless it involves a grizzly bear. Then I'm running.

I think you're all asking too much from what he can do.
However, he is the president of US (de juro - highest global rank), de facto he can't do that much.

In the terms of power, he is one man against a whole system which is very independent from him and much more powerful.

I want decisive answers.
Examples:
-close gitmo.

I'd like to see him reach out to Republicans with initiatives that at least some of them could support and stop scolding and criticizing them in a demagogic fashion for being true to the principles that got them elected.

I'd like to see him reach out to Republicans with initiatives that at least some of them could support and stop scolding and criticizing them in a demagogic fashion for being true to the principles that got them elected.

I'm no fan of our current President by any means, but to be fair they need to reach out to him as well. The charges by many that the Reps are purposely being obstructionist are not unfounded.

I'm no fan of our current President by any means, but to be fair they need to reach out to him as well. The charges by many that the Reps are purposely being obstructionist are not unfounded.

The Republicans are running proposals up the flagpole all the time. All the President has to do is get behind one of them. To my knowledge he has never gone to the Republicans and said, "OK, you guys want this or that, what can I get from you in return?" Instead, he just makes demands and scolds them.

I want decisive answers.
Examples:
-close gitmo.

Just be sure he doesn't cut tax rates for the wealthy and double or quadruple the national debt or start a couple of wars....one them totally and without question unnecessary. I'm sure you recognize that pattern.

The Republicans are running proposals up the flagpole all the time. All the President has to do is get behind one of them. To my knowledge he has never gone to the Republicans and said, "OK, you guys want this or that, what can I get from you in return?" Instead, he just makes demands and scolds them.

Reasonable proposals? Proposals that would meet him somewhere in the middle? No, for the most part, they have not.

Back
Top Bottom