• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:128] Iran protests: could this be the beginning of the end for the Islamic Republic?

Talking about not having any reservations about killing people: there are now reports that many children are being killed in these crackdowns:

“Nearly two dozen children were killed last month during protests in Iran, according to a new report by a human rights watchdog that accuses the country’s security forces of targeting young people “with absolute impunity.”

The 19-page report released by Amnesty International on Thursday said at least 23 children – some as young as 11 – were killed by security forces in the last 10 days of September alone….

The rights group said they believe “the real number of children killed by Iran’s security forces is higher” and they are continuing to investigate.“

MAY THE ISLAMIC REPUBLIC CRUSH THE PROTESTS!!!

The difference between now and the time of the Shah is that the Shah had reservations about killing too many people. These guys don’t care.
The Shah was a FAKE monarchy installed by the West. The Islamic Republic is the fullest extend of the Persian and Islamic traditions of the Iranian people. There is nothing phony about it.

The Revolutionary Guard will end up shooting a few dozen people and the whack job Mullah's will go back to business as usual.

Rinse & Repeat every 5-6 years or so.
Good for Iran. Stop mossad-backed liberal protests.

New update: there is a large fire and sounds of gunshots in Iran’s notorious Evin prison, reserved for the state’s most dangerous political enemies and dissidents.

It’s not clear how the fire got started, or who set it.

Now there’s evidence of the regime using brutal torture techniques on protestors to quiet these protests. These have worked well in the past. Will they continue to work?

“The abuse was psychological and physical, he told CNN, including electric shocks, controlled drowning and mock executions.

The 29-year-old says he was held in solitary confinement and intermittently beaten, before eventually being placed in a room with roughly two dozen other protesters, including a woman with cuts across her face and neck who said she had been sexually assaulted by security forces….

In order to leave the detention center, Arman claims he was forced to sign a false confession saying he received money from the US, UK and Israeli governments to go out and create “chaos” in Iranian society. He was then told that if he engaged in any more “activism” he and his family would be hunted down and arrested, he said.“

These protests just don’t seem to be going away. More strikes in Iran now, as massive solidarity protests are held around the world. This really may go somewhere this time.

Wow. Not only are these protests not losing steam, but still going strong.

And now the strikes are expanding across the country. It looks like teachers are joining workers in the petroleum industry.

All this, despite severe crackdowns by the regime. The people have had it!

I don’t know, but it really looks like these protests might have some real teeth.I can’t see things going back to same ol’, same ol’ after all this. But I guess we will see.

Wow. Not only are these protests not losing steam, but still going strong.

And now the strikes are expanding across the country. It looks like teachers are joining workers in the petroleum industry.

All this, despite severe crackdowns by the regime. The people have had it!

I don’t know, but it really looks like these protests might have some real teeth.I can’t see things going back to same ol’, same ol’ after all this. But I guess we will see.
My partner is Iranian and we speak to his family members in Iran. I agree that the regime does not have deep support. For one thing, Iranians, unlike Arabs, do not have a long tradition of religiosity and fanaticism. Frankly, the U.S. undermined the moderates in the regime by reneging on the nuclear deal. The president, Raisi is much more hard line than the last guy.

I suppose some U.S. politicians hoped that by ending the nuclear deal and stiffening sanctions, the Iranian people would rise up and defeat the government. It appears that some U.S. senators (and probably Israel) would like to install MEK leaders. If the Iranians that I know can speak to the situation, that would be a big mistake. Iranians do not want U.S. and Israel's interference. They do not want MEK, who perpetrated many deadly bombings in the early '80s and was once on the U.S. terrorism list.

Iran is an ethnically diverse country with many minorities. Revolutions usually end badly and lead to years of bloodshed and internal struggle. I had hoped for gradual reform in Iran.

People are socially pissed the hell off over there and are sick of the government's religious conservatism.

Yas! Nobody should feel entitled to just go up to slap a woman.

It appears the protest crackdowns have moved to indiscriminate violence. It was a step I had hoped wouldn't happen since it's a sign of regrouping by the Iranian regime.

People in large numbers need to have another revolution.

Talking about not having any reservations about killing people: there are now reports that many children are being killed in these crackdowns:

“Nearly two dozen children were killed last month during protests in Iran, according to a new report by a human rights watchdog that accuses the country’s security forces of targeting young people “with absolute impunity.”

The 19-page report released by Amnesty International on Thursday said at least 23 children – some as young as 11 – were killed by security forces in the last 10 days of September alone….

The rights group said they believe “the real number of children killed by Iran’s security forces is higher” and they are continuing to investigate.“
Cops are really one of the most dangerous arms of the state. Like to view IRS pencil pushers as the greatest threat to freedom just smacks of privilege.

This is funny: young people just knocking the turbans off clerics’ heads on the streets as a sign of disrespect. It has apparently become a popular thing on the streets now:

The activist HRANA news agency said that 318 protesters had been killed in the unrest as of Saturday, including 49 minors. Thirty-eight members of the security forces had also been killed, it added.

Wholesale child killing...not just a Russian sport.

Update:

The protesters are making very clear that their goal is not just reform, but regime change. They have angrily denounced a US envoy who has just said that the call of the protesters is to have the regime respect their human rights.

“The envoy, who is heading the American team negotiating the nuclear accord with Tehran, was referring to a previous tweet in which he had claimed that Iranians were protesting in order to have the Islamic Republic “respect their human rights and dignity.” No – wrote thousands of Iranians in response to that tweet: We want democracy, we don’t want the regime of the ayatollahs; we want democracy and freedom.

Tens of thousands of Iranians living in the United States went as far as to sign a petition calling for Malley’s dismissal. The furor even reached Congress, where some enthusiastic members even expressed their support for the idea.

The battle over defining the goals of the demonstrations is not a matter of wording but of essence, explained the Iranian protesters. This is not a demand for reforms and not a matter of human rights, but of getting rid of the regime. World leaders must desist from shaking the hands of people who are shedding blood in Iran, said Iranian journalist Masih Alinejad, during a conversation last Friday with French President Emmanuel Macron, criticizing him for meeting Iranian President Raisi during the UN General Assembly gathering in September.“

Update:

No the shops at the historic grand bazaar in the middle of the city are shutting down and going on strike.

“In the Grand Bazaar, the beating heart of Tehran for hundreds of years that long has served as a political bellwether for Persian dynasties, store fronts were closed as a lone woman and a man pushing a cart walked among its narrow alleyways. A stray cat nibbled at trash down one of its silent warrens.…

Widening the demonstrations into strikes and boycotts could further raise pressure on Iran's government, which already has seen its economy suffer under international sanctions after the collapse of its nuclear deal with world powers. So far though, it has yet to affect production in its crucial oil and natural gas industry….”

The thing is though that even their oil and gas workers are going on strike now:

Protesters take it a step further, and torch Ayatollah Khomeini's ancestral home. It was also a museum to the guy too (note the emphasis on "was")

I don’t think this has ever had any historical precedent: Iranians are cheering their team’s loss to the US in the World Cup. They are dancing in the streets, chanting: “they lied that America was our enemy- our real enemy is within!”

I don’t think this has ever had any historical precedent: Iranians are cheering their team’s loss to the US in the World Cup. They are dancing in the streets, chanting: “they lied that America was our enemy- our real enemy is within!”

The regime literally only exists because America destroyed Iran's democracy.

Back
Top Bottom