• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:128] Iran protests: could this be the beginning of the end for the Islamic Republic?

Breaking? I don't know about that. I guess we shall see.

But just for the record, I hope you're right.

From the video I'm seeing coming out of Iran, like the one I posted, the people don't fear the Quds anymore. They charged a large group who were sent to break up the protest and the people charged them, and rather than engage mob the Quds forces ran. That's unusual. Under Soleimani there would have been snipers along the roof tops to fire into the crowd.

But yeah, there is a chance they Quds will regroup and someone will take command, but right now it's in disarray, and the Iranian people need to capitalize on that.

It’s no secret that the Islamic Republic of Iran is deeply unpopular in Iran, especially among the more educated and urban areas of the country (which are not insignificant). But some recent events, including overzealous enforcement of “morality” for a young woman accused of not covering her hair enough in public, are leading to an explosion of massive protests all over the country. And this time, it’s more than just limited to women, young people, or educated people. It seems to be across all sorts of demographics and social strata.

The protests are entering their 6th day now.

Of course, in the past, these protests have always been put down by massively brutal and deadly crackdowns by the regime. The government has already shut down the internet in the country. But this looks like it’s going to be as big as the “green movement” of 2009.

It’s interesting this is not being covered so much by western media. It might be the beginning of some big changes there. I guess we will see.

The urban shitlibs will be crushed.

Half of these people are wearing face masks, you really think they represent the general public?

The urban shitlibs will be crushed.

Half of these people are wearing face masks, you really think they represent the general public?

Huh? You are cheering on the Islamic clergy of Iran to crush their own people protesting the death of a woman who was not covering her hair enough?

You like Islamic clergy THAT much?🤨

Huh? You are cheering on the Islamic clergy of Iran to crush their own people protesting the death of a woman who was not covering her hair enough?

You like Islamic clergy THAT much?🤨
I'm cheering them protecting their people from rioters.

I'm cheering them protecting their people from rioters.

So all the people on the streets are not their people?

You think the Islamic republic is a legitimate, popularly elected government?

So all the people on the streets are not their people?
Even if they're not being paid to riot (and lets be honest, many of them probably are), their hearts belong to Washington.
You think the Islamic republic is a legitimate, popularly elected government?
It, like USG, is an intellectual oligarchy masquerading as a democracy. Though the ideas their leaders embrace are far less bizarre than the ones ours do.

That’s much like the Cubans still horrified Batista got run out of town. The sanctions make the exiles feel better, but on the actual ground they only strengthen the people’s support for the regime. It’s better than war, but it’s not likely to create regime change.

But it can and often does hamstring nations.

Even if they're not being paid to riot (and lets be honest, many of them probably are), their hearts belong to Washington.

It, like USG, is an intellectual oligarchy masquerading as a democracy. Though the ideas their leaders embrace are far less bizarre than the ones ours do.

It doesn't get more pro-fascism than that. Did that post come with a nazi salute?

The last one wasn't. I wouldn't hope. I suspect brutal crackdowns may be coming.
2009: Began very similar to this one, but ended with particularly brutal basiji street executions like this one which I will never forget.

The DEATH of NEDA SOLTANI: (graphic)

People are socially pissed the hell off over there and are sick of the government's religious conservatism.

Didn't take long for all hell to bust loose in Iran! It's spread to 50 cities in Iran!

Didn't take long for all hell to bust loose in Iran! It's spread to 50 cities in Iran!

There’s been large scale protests in Iran before, on a faulty routine basis. We’ll see if it means anything.

It appears the protest crackdowns have moved to indiscriminate violence. It was a step I had hoped wouldn't happen since it's a sign of regrouping by the Iranian regime.

No. Nothing happens until sanctions end. Sanctions strengthen the current regime in Tehran.

I am gradually coming to this conclusion as well. I used to think that sanctions were an effective tool, and maybe you can point to a handful of cases where they actually did work (Libya, maybe?), but they often end up just making people miserable and the regime will see to it that it stays afloat.

If you want to topple Iran, I think the better choice is to end sanctions and open it up. It's actually a lot more complex a society than people realize. There's a substantial population of well-educated people.

There’s been large scale protests in Iran before, on a faulty routine basis. We’ll see if it means anything.
Not on this level.

Protesters torching stuff? I don't think we've seen that in Iran before.

It appears the protest crackdowns have moved to indiscriminate violence. It was a step I had hoped wouldn't happen since it's a sign of regrouping by the Iranian regime.

Iranian Gestapo killing indiscriminately is nothing new.
That must be where Putzin's slaughter army learned that trick.

Not on this level.

Protesters torching stuff? I don't think we've seen that in Iran before.

Protesters outright attacked army bases during the protests a few years ago. Fifteen hundred people died.

It would be nice if the Iranian authoritarian regime was toppled, but I doubt it will happen

It’s no secret that the Islamic Republic of Iran is deeply unpopular in Iran, especially among the more educated and urban areas of the country (which are not insignificant). But some recent events, including overzealous enforcement of “morality” for a young woman accused of not covering her hair enough in public, are leading to an explosion of massive protests all over the country. And this time, it’s more than just limited to women, young people, or educated people. It seems to be across all sorts of demographics and social strata.
The protests are entering their 6th day now.
Of course, in the past, these protests have always been put down by massively brutal and deadly crackdowns by the regime. The government has already shut down the internet in the country. But this looks like it’s going to be as big as the “green movement” of 2009.
It’s interesting this is not being covered so much by western media. It might be the beginning of some big changes there. I guess we will see.

1664127880574.png

I'm surprised that men came to her rescue.
From what I hear, that’s one of the big differences between these protests and the 2009 Green movement. The green movement was mostly spearheaded by women and educated, young urbanites. This is much more of a broad, grassroots movement. The men are supporting the women. And educated urbanites and rural working class people are marching side-by-side. Everyone seems to be sick of the Mullahs.

I'm surprised that men came to her rescue.

Iran isn't nearly as backwards as we assume. They even have elections and people do participate in them. No, it's not a liberal, Western democracy, but the people have at least some influence over the direction of their politics, within certain parameters.

Despite the anti-Israel rhetoric, Iran is home to one of the oldest Jewish communities, which practices openly. They just don't openly criticize the government and don't openly advocate for the state of Israel.

The Islamic Revolution and Ayatollah was a reaction against foreign intervention, including a joint plot by the US and UK to topple what was likely a fledgling democratic political system in Iran. No, it probably wouldn't have developed into a Western liberal democratic and capitalist society, but they had their rights to self-determination undermined, with the underlying reason being that we wanted to block the nationalization of their petroleum.

Wow. These protests are now going international. The streets of Vancouver yesterday were filled with massive crowds of anti-regime protestors.

This is starting in US cities as well.

“Earlier this week, protests were held at the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool in Washington, as well as University of California, Berkeley, among other locations. Demonstrations will continue through the weekend, including San Francisco, where supporters will attempt to form a human chain across the Golden Gate Bridge Sunday.

Majid Sadeghpour, an Iranian American who lives in Virginia, is one of the organizers of a Saturday rally in Washington. The protests, Sadeghpour told CNN, symbolize solidarity with those in Iran who are "ready to overthrow this regime despite the cost."

"People of Iran are in the process of another revolution," Sadeghpour said. "The regime has been declining for years and now is literally falling. We call on the international community to sever ties with this regime and instead support the Iranian people and their organized resistance."”

More protests are being planned today in DC and other cities in the US.

The clerics will never step down to satisfy the will of the people because they answers only to God. They will have to be overthrown.

Back
Top Bottom