• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

This is why I think we should just leave Mexicans alone.

It takes 2 months for 3-4 people to do 150 acres. Here is the awesome thing about you--you can't make a ****ing point because you live in Los Angeles. Last time I was there I didn't see one tobacco field at all on skid row or down by Hollywood. I know, it is very hard to believe 100 sticks an hour. While that isn't forced, they would prefer you can do that amount. Would you like me to type word for word the job description from the unemployment office since you must know ****ing plenty about how the industry works all the way out there in So-Cal?

Hey...did it ever occur to your country ass, Kentucky shackled self that people move away from home? No? Didn't think so, bluegrass. Why don't you stick to your bourbon and leave it at that, sour mash?

By the way...grew up in rural north carolina. It's common knowledge to all the veteran members around here. And...GASP!!!!... I lived in Alaska before I ever moved here.

You want to pull that chicken **** stained foot out of your mouth now, Hatfield?

How long have you been doing work like this? Work is just like anything else in life, the more you do it the better you get at it.

Very true. Let's just say the wear and tear wasn't worth getting better at it. I also got a call from someone else in town and will be starting at a local factory (finally) so thank God for that I guess. I have to say though everytime I light up a cigarette now though I have an even bigger appreciation for the people that harvest tobacco, and the farmers that plant it.

What would you like for me to explain to you about cutting tobacco and staking it in bundles, then?

Go ahead explain anything you think you can without Googling it first.

Hey...did it ever occur to your country ass, Kentucky shackled self that people move away from home? No? Didn't think so, bluegrass. Why don't you stick to your bourbon and leave it at that, sour mash?

By the way...grew up in rural north carolina. It's common knowledge to all the veteran members around here. And...GASP!!!!... I lived in Alaska before I ever moved here.

You want to pull that chicken **** stained foot out of your mouth now, Hatfield?

No I didn't think so, I was busy eating my bucket of KFC and washing it down with moonshine while I rode around in my Charger.

I think you need to clean all that sand out of your vagina though. Oh and North Carolina sucks.

No I didn't think so, I was busy eating my bucket of KFC and washing it down with moonshine while I rode around in my Charger.

I think you need to clean all that sand out of your vagina though. Oh and North Carolina sucks.

I know NC probably sucks to you. That whole ban on ****ing your sister has to put a real damper on your friday nights.

I guess I can't talk shop with the expert anymore. :(

Anyways KY Tobacco FTW.

Very true.

Then you can't say one group of people are better suited for a type of work than another or that one group is too lazy especially when you have not had that much time picking tobacco.

hey, we did not spend 500 years killing indians and mexicans just so they could come here and take the work that is beneath us as Americans for nothing, ya know.

geo.

hey, we did not spend 500 years killing indians and mexicans just so they could come here and take the work that is beneath us as Americans for nothing, ya know.

geo.

No, we spend 500 years killing Indians and mexicans because they didn't have sense enough to move out of the way when they were outgunned. :shrug:

Although it's funny that all the major tobacco distributors are located in NC and Virginia. :shrug:

Most of Phillip Morris tobacco comes from Kentucky now due to how the system works. It used to be farmers could grow as much as they wanted, now the tobacco companies have to tell them how much and where. In recent years NC's own laws and regulations have not been kind to tobacco farmers, although Winston-Salem of course still exist in NC. Virgina is the 2nd biggest manufatuer of tobacco products, followed by KY in USA. Most of the cheap tobacco products nowadays actually come from India and China sadly and I believe that is where most asians get their tobacco from although I could be wrong.

My grandfather was working on a book about the tobacco wars before he passed away and how the outcome of that effected Appalachia, KY, and northern TN. Kentucky is all about tobacco and to try and take that away from them is insulting. Also NC sucks, SC is way better.

geo.

Only a spoiled elitist snob would think farm work, landscaping, construction and other manual labor jobs are beneath them.

Only a spoiled elitist snob would think farm work, landscaping, construction and other manual labor jobs are beneath them.

Naw I don't think elitist think like that, a lot of people do. I'm the kind of guy that if I got to go dive in a pool filled with **** to find a $100 bill I will. Some people just ain't like that.

geo.

So what...early American settlers shouldnt enjoy the same traditions of conquer and conquest 'indians' did for a thousand years prior? Oh...wait...you believe they were peace loving folks that never slaughtered each other, didnt engage in territorial wars, didnt take slaves...right? :lamo

Because a lot of people aren't built for it, and it is incredibly tough work.
i'm pretty sure SOME of that 20% is built for it and would not mind the tough work for $750 a week. besides picking tobacco isn't what ALL of the illegals are doing i'm sure they do some pretty menial work too.

So the past few days I've been cutting and loading tobacco. Let me tell you about cutting tobacco. You cut the plant at the bottom, spear it on a stick, and you spear 6 plants per stick. It is a lot of bending down, cutting with an axe, and spearing while trying to keep these damn sticks in the ground. As best as I try I can only muster out around 50 an hour. The mexicans working though? Can do about 100 an hour or 600 tobacco plants. While on break I talk to them in Spanglish mostly and these poor guys have to pay $750 to get a work visa, the house the farmers had them up in wasn't to bad I guess, but they will work in Kentucy, NC, SC doing tobacco, then do oranges in flordia, with one 3 1/2 ft tall basket only getting them 75 cents. These people aren't taking our jobs, these people work incredibly hard doing incredibly hard crazy **** and deserve far more respect than anyone would ever give them. They are incredibly friendly, offer me their crazy food all the time just to see what I think of it and are always ok for a good laugh.

Republicans and democrats a like how could you not want someone to be here that embodies the American dream more than most of you ever will?

Are you talking about just any Mexican or illegal immigrants? Because only racists have a problem with Mexicans. My first problem with illegal immigrants is the first word of their name, ILLEGAL. My second problem is just with the drug smugglers who murder people.

My grandfather was working on a book about the tobacco wars before he passed away and how the outcome of that effected Appalachia, KY, and northern TN..

Hold on... you need to get your story straight. Earlier you said... as you referred to your GF "He actually wrote a book called Tobacco Wars based on the troubles tobacco farmers had back in the 40s and 50s with the government and tobacco companies."

Now he's was working on a book... like millions of others who never get published and don't know what their talking about. Did he write the book or not and if so where is it? When you don't tell the truth... you lose all credibility.

Hold on... you need to get your story straight. Earlier you said... as you referred to your GF "He actually wrote a book called Tobacco Wars based on the troubles tobacco farmers had back in the 40s and 50s with the government and tobacco companies."

Now he's was working on a book... like millions of others who never get published and don't know what their talking about. Did he write the book or not and if so where is it? When you don't tell the truth... you lose all credibility.

Sorry, my mistake. He was writing a book on it before he passed away, my uncle is trying to finish it for him with help of others. My grandpa is an accomplished author and had previously written several articles on politics, conservative ideals, and agriculture.

i'm pretty sure SOME of that 20% is built for it and would not mind the tough work for $750 a week. besides picking tobacco isn't what ALL of the illegals are doing i'm sure they do some pretty menial work too.

Well, let me put it to you this way. I take anger management classes and during the break there I was talking to one of the guys about doing it the day before I went out to do it. The guy is much skinner and shorter than me. When I told him they were hoping for 100 sticks an hour, the guy said he could get maybe 80 and hour before lunch, and then about 65 an hour after, was as old as me and been doing it since he was 16 off and on. Really honestly man you just have to see it to believe it they are insanely fast and make the **** look easy.

When I was a teenager, I worked for the local peach baron in the summer. Most of the pickers were either teenagers or black people.

Now, the pickers are all mexican, and I'd bet dollars to dirt most of them are illegal.

When I was 20, a nice house cost maybe $60,000. Most construction workers were white or black men and most o them made pretty good money, particularly masons.

Now, 20some years later, almost all construction jobs {except contractor!} are held by mexicans. I know lots of them are illegal, ICE busted a BIG local contractor and took his entire framing crew!

Meanwhile, an American mason I know went from making $20 an hour to making $7 an hour to being unemployed, because Mexican masons are cheaper still.... and yet a decent house costs $150,000 and up now.

Yeah, somebody is getting rich off cheap illegal Mexican labor... and it ain't working-class Americans.

Hell, the last time I was in a factory, nobody but the foreman spoke English...

Some people don't realize the impact cheap illegal labor is having on blue-collar American citizens.

Meanwhile, an American mason I know went from making $20 an hour to making $7 an hour to being unemployed...

That's even happening to the Mexican masons. There's just no construction work out there.

Plus, $7 an hour is absurd for masonry. Might as well just go work at McDonalds or get some retail gig.

But doing side jobs lately, I'm able to get at least $15 an hour.

Granted, Chicago probably has higher wages, but I wouldn't waste my time doing a trade for $7 an hour.

Last edited:
When I was a teenager, I worked for the local peach baron in the summer. Most of the pickers were either teenagers or black people.

Now, the pickers are all mexican, and I'd bet dollars to dirt most of them are illegal.

When I was 20, a nice house cost maybe $60,000. Most construction workers were white or black men and most o them made pretty good money, particularly masons.

Now, 20some years later, almost all construction jobs {except contractor!} are held by mexicans. I know lots of them are illegal, ICE busted a BIG local contractor and took his entire framing crew!

Meanwhile, an American mason I know went from making $20 an hour to making $7 an hour to being unemployed, because Mexican masons are cheaper still.... and yet a decent house costs $150,000 and up now.

Yeah, somebody is getting rich off cheap illegal Mexican labor... and it ain't working-class Americans.

Some people don't realize the impact cheap illegal labor is having on blue-collar American citizens.

Well sir when I lived down in SC I never actually picked peaches for work I did it for fun so I can't really comment on it. I do know that last time I was down there doing farm work which was probably about 8 years ago now when I was 17, it was me and a bunch of older black gentlemen in their 40s and 50s. The one mexican I worked with mentioned he did some tobacco work in SC though. I do know, that they still didn't pay the black workers all that great either way when I was a kid, and it was all under the table. My granddaddy had a good relationship with a lot of the black farm workers in the county paid them incredibly well but most farmers paid and treated them like dirt so it really depended on the individual. He used to actually pay them far more than me when I was younger and I remember getting mad about it lol.

Now, 20some years later, almost all construction jobs {except contractor!} are held by mexicans.
That's a load of crap and I can attest to it. I know many people in construction and while they do sometimes use mexicans, under law they must be legal workers.

Where in the hell do you live?

Well, let me put it to you this way. I take anger management classes and during the break there I was talking to one of the guys about doing it the day before I went out to do it. The guy is much skinner and shorter than me. When I told him they were hoping for 100 sticks an hour, the guy said he could get maybe 80 and hour before lunch, and then about 65 an hour after, was as old as me and been doing it since he was 16 off and on. Really honestly man you just have to see it to believe it they are insanely fast and make the **** look easy.
i agree with you they ARE very hard workers i'm not argueing that. when i was logging i worked along side these guys too and boy do they work but they do drive down my wages and are breaking the law.

i agree with you they ARE very hard workers i'm not argueing that. when i was logging i worked along side these guys too and boy do they work but they do drive down my wages and are breaking the law.

I've never really seen proof that they drive down the wages, as even when I was living in SC in areas where mexicans weren't preferred (not to be racist, but uneducated older black gentlemen instead) they still got paid what I guess people would consider bad wages. I don't really see it as bad wages though. If you are doing about 700-800 sticks per 4 people a day for 2 months straight, then paying $10/hr for the hanging, rotation, etc all the way up until December that is costing that farmer quite a bit. The farmers aren't living off this 150 acres either, they all work full time jobs, the way the system works you can make money but it isn't crazy amounts like people think they are.

Back
Top Bottom