• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: 70% of Americans support admitting the migrant caravan into the USA

I agree very much.

But the problem here, is with "catch & release". Or perhaps in this case, "apply & release". We can't hold people indefinitely while their cases wind through the courts for many months or years. Nor should we accept pathetically dismal rates of return for court hearings.

This - unfortunately - is our conundrum.

People return in greater numbers for asylum hearings than they do for most other types of immigration actions.
Most of them are sure that they have a better chance.
That's not to say that the majority do, but more do.

According to the poll itself, the results are a mish-mash of opinion.

The striking part was the CNN headline. The poll itself reinforced the existing Government position.
The poll said "Most Americans (70%) say that these migrants should be given the opportunity to enter the country if they meet certain requirements such as showing they were persecuted in their home countries and not having a criminal record."
Well, that's the Government position.
But the headline could easily have been "A Majority Of Americans (53%) See The Migrant Caravan As A Threat".

Or it could've been, "70% of Americans Support Existing Immigration Law". I think Goebbels is alive and running CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/politics/migrants-poll/index.html

Turns out that all the hostility against the caravan was just a product of a loud minority!

I find this very hard to believe... This just doesn't seem accurate.

EDIT:

I understand now.... The question was: "When these migrants reach the U.S. border should they be stopped and sent back to their home countries or should they be given the opportunity to enter the country if they meet certain requirements, such as showing they were persecuted in their home country and not having a criminal record?"

That's totally different... The poll also found 70% believe that illegal immigration is very, or somewhat of a serious problem, and 53% say the caravan poses a threat to the US.

Last edited:
Well respected does not mean correct or meaningful. One small poll is not sufficient to be a meaningful measure of national opinion. Furthermore, as other posters have pointed out, the headline is misleading in the extreme. I expect that quoted support would drop significantly if the "certain criteria" were to be dropped.

Right. When the message doesn't suit your agenda, attack the messenger.

Gee, that's original. No one has seen that tactic before :no:

Or it could've been, "70% of Americans Support Existing Immigration Law". I think Goebbels is alive and running CNN.

That kind of **** happens way too often these days.
It's been bugging me for a long time.
I got involved with 2 other threads just within the last few days doing the same thing.
Either people only read the headlines or they're just happy to have something to start a thread with so they just don't care.

People return in greater numbers for asylum hearings than they do for most other types of immigration actions.
Most of them are sure that they have a better chance.
That's not to say that the majority do, but more do.
Yeah, but it's still ripe for exploitation.

Like I said: We seem to be stuck here, with no easy or good solution.

Poll averages can be somewhat meaningful. One doesn't mean much at all.

And I've already demonstrated why the headline is misleading in at least one respect.

It said a majority believe they should be given an "opportunity" which is what applying for asylum and having the case heard does.

Right, and there is no evidence that we are not following our asylum laws. So tell me exactly what about this poll deserves a headline, and such a misleading one?

Well, about half the GOP do NOT think we should follow our own laws about asylum seekers. If you don't think that's news or worth reporting, that's your prerogative of course.

FWIW, Trump promised an EO to deny asylum seekers an opportunity to apply if they entered illegally, which would violate our asylum laws. That's not really part of the story, but you asked.

Right. When the message doesn't suit your agenda, attack the messenger.

Gee, that's original. No one has seen that tactic before :no:

Monmouth is fine, but like I've said here, one poll is not necessarily meaningful. That's not to say the poll is in error, either. Poll averages can be somewhat meaningful, but that underlines the need for multiple polls. Are you side-stepping the misleading nature of the headline here?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/politics/migrants-poll/index.html

Turns out that all the hostility against the caravan was just a product of a loud minority!

I'm not sure what you all are claiming here... the majority of conservatives on this board have always stated that legal immigrants/asylum seekers are welcome to take the legal means to get into the country and welcome if they succeed. the argument has ALWAYS been about border jumpers/ILLEGAL immigrants.

IS this not true? or are you completely unwilling to represent ANY conservative opinion honestly?

That kind of **** happens way too often these days.
It's been bugging me for a long time.
I got involved with 2 other threads just within the last few days doing the same thing.
Either people only read the headlines or they're just happy to have something to start a thread with so they just don't care.

An awful lot of people just roll with this stuff without questioning it. I'm fairly dismayed at the efforts to bury the truth these days. When opinion and factual news are intertwined so closely, the truth suffers.

I get almost daily calls for credit card offers, or similar crap, but never a national poll.

l am almost certain that eastern liberal colleges and universities have just as many biased opinions as they have professors...

It said a majority believe they should be given an "opportunity" which is what applying for asylum and having the case heard does.

Yeah, yeah. You keep saying that, and I'll keep asking you why the headline doesn't say that. Why doesn't the headline read "Majority of Americans Endorse Following Immigration Law"?

Well, about half the GOP do NOT think we should follow our own laws about asylum seekers. If you don't think that's news or worth reporting, that's your prerogative of course.

Yes, it's well known that many would like to change our immigration laws. That's not news. That has been discussed for decades.

FWIW, Trump promised an EO to deny asylum seekers an opportunity to apply if they entered illegally, which would violate our asylum laws. That's not really part of the story, but you asked.

Ah, but you know how he lies.

A minority which very likely is right.

Greetings, Hawkeye10. :2wave:

Sorry, I might have agreed with you weeks ago, but not now. IIRC, they were offered asylum and jobs by Mexico, and they turned those offers down! WTH? They're flying their home country's flags and singing their country's songs, and since they don't appear to much care what we think about their demands to enter our country - since that was their stated goal - and we certainly knew they were on their way, so they apparently believe they're in the drivers seat here, and we will agree to their demands that we take care of them? There's apparently more :bs: going on than we're being told! Sheesh!

Sorry, I might have agreed with you weeks ago, but not now. IIRC, they were offered asylum and jobs by Mexico, and they turned those offers down! WTH? They're flying their home country's flags and singing their country's songs, and since they don't appear to much care what we think about their demands to enter our country - since that was their stated goal - and we certainly knew they were on their way, so they apparently believe they're in the drivers seat here, and we will agree to their demands that we take care of them? There's apparently more :bs: going on than we're being told! Sheesh!

I suspect that we do agree, that these thugs need to be told HELL NO!.

The vast migrations of human locusts are just at the beginning stages, they will get much worst, we need to get ready and defend our borders starting now.

Last edited:

I knew right from the beginning that the caravan had nothing to do with political asylum. It was an organised effort to to challenge US immigration policy by people who support open borders.

I knew right from the beginning that the caravan had nothing to do with political asylum. It was an organised effort to to challenge US immigration policy by people who support open borders.

And I am hearing anarchists....those who are pursing the goal of causing chaos.

We need to step up and say "NO ****ING WAY!" to that.

If we can manage, which is no sure thing.

WE USED TO BE BETTER

Wow, I'm a bit blown away by this. I assumed the majority of the country was against this type of stuff.

I'm also blown away that almost half the Republicans support the caravan. I find this a bit hard to believe, to be honest. I'd like to know how the poll was worded, exactly.

In spite of fuzzy wording of the Monmouth poll...

Top Issues for Voters: Healthcare, Economy, Immigration

78% say Immigration is an important issue, the number two issue just a hair behind the economy for registered Republican voters.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244367/top-issues-voters-healthcare-economy-immigration.aspx

Surprisingly, 74 % of Democrats polled say Immigration is an important issue to them.

Though nothing is said about the Honduran migrant caravan, I am going to say that the majority probably support asylum for those in the caravan who qualify.
I think most Americans are against illegal immigration though, or those who try to cheat their way around our immigration law for their own advantage.

Curious what you're talking about in the highlighted portion, I hadn't heard of that.

Could you provide links/evidence?

Yeah, yeah. You keep saying that, and I'll keep asking you why the headline doesn't say that. Why doesn't the headline read "Majority of Americans Endorse Following Immigration Law"?

I got it off the article, at the link. See for yourself if you don't believe me. If you're talking about the OP, OK, but you should have said so.

Yes, it's well known that many would like to change our immigration laws. That's not news. That has been discussed for decades.

OK, but they're not changed now, and half of Republicans want them broken. Again, seems like 'news' to me but if you don't agree, OK.

Ah, but you know how he lies.

Yes I do. But I looked it up and he issued the order.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/us/politics/trump-proclamation-caravan-asylum.html

So we'll see if it survives the court challenges.

Well, it's good to know that roughly 3 of 4 get the meaning of, "Give us your huddled masses."
3 out of 4? :lamo Not.
The poem was by a Jewish person referencing Jewish people. That is it's actual meaning.
Now you know.

The poem was by a Jewish person referencing Jewish people. That is it's actual meaning.
Now you know.

Cite for that? It was written for the Statue of Liberty, specific to that monument and that location.

Now you know.

Doesn't matter who wrote it, it was on a statue we installed as a beacon of liberty.

We put it there and accepted it as our own, it's our credo now.

And I for one do not want to change it.

Back
Top Bottom