• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: 70% of Americans support admitting the migrant caravan into the USA

There's no obligation for a news org to put all relevant facts in the headline.
Absolutely there is no obligation to make accurate headlines, yet when they do not and mislead by doing so, they deserve the Fake News moniker.

Not likely to survive a judge - there's always a federal judge somewhere willing to put a stay on things like this. It'll develop a long legal tail.

You've moving the goal posts too quickly to keep up.

And, yes, there are generally federal judges willing to put a stay on an order that directly contravenes U.S. law.

Absolutely there is no obligation to make accurate headlines, yet when they do not and mislead by doing so, they deserve the Fake News moniker.

The headline read: "Majority say migrants in caravan should be given the opportunity to enter the country."

And the first sentence says, "if they meet certain requirements." There's nothing misleading to anyone not a moron or too lazy to read a single sentence of the article.

The headline read: "Majority say migrants in caravan should be given the opportunity to enter the country."

And the first sentence says, "if they meet certain requirements." There's nothing misleading to anyone not a moron or too lazy to read a single sentence of the article.

Yes, the headline is misleading.

You've moving the goal posts too quickly to keep up.

And, yes, there are generally federal judges willing to put a stay on an order that directly contravenes U.S. law.

Nah, you just can't score a point. You know the OP is misleading as hell.

Many in a position to know believe Trump's EO is legal. We'll see in time.

Nah, you just can't score a point. You know the OP is misleading as hell.

Many in a position to know believe Trump's EO is legal. We'll see in time.

Well, if "many" believe that the EO that directly contradicts U.S. law is legal, nuff said.

Yes, the headline is misleading.

Yes, to morons. I agree.

What's kind of funny is the new "FAKE NEWS!!!!" standard is, apparently - "Didn't contain all relevant facts in the headline!"

Well, if "many" believe that the EO that directly contradicts U.S. law is legal, nuff said.

Yes, there'll likely be continuing legal action until the matter is resolved. It's not crucial to me. Faithful representation of the facts in any political matter is.

Yes, there'll likely be continuing legal action until the matter is resolved. It's not crucial to me. Faithful representation of the facts in any political matter is.

Good thing the first sentence of the article explained the conditions, then.

Good thing the first sentence of the article explained the conditions, then.

I've already addressed this. If you don't want to admit it, that's fine with me. I'm correct. You are not.

Do you seriously believe a CNN poll?

Sources other than CNN:

NY Mag:

Trump and Republicans Mum on Migrant Caravan Since Election

It has been a week since what President Donald Trump ominously dubbed the “election of the … caravan,” but nobody in the White House or Republican Party seems to be talking about the caravan anymore.

USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/11/19/migrant-caravan-donald-trump-border-security-immigration-poll-threat-central-america-honduras/2055361002/

WASHINGTON – More than half of Americans – 54 percent – see the immigrant caravan as some kind of threat, but a majority – 70 percent – say the same immigrants should be able to qualify for asylum in the USA, according to a nationwide poll released Monday.

The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/donald-trump-the-migrant-caravan-and-a-manufactured-crisis-at-the-us-border

Donald Trump, the Migrant Caravan, and a Manufactured Crisis at the U.S. Border

During times of collapse as much order as can be found is the call. We can not tolerate the planets human population going where ever they please.

Newsflash! The entire human population is not going wherever they please. Study up on the why's of the migration from Honduras. Read the law and relevant treaties. Yours is the logic of the countries who met in 1938 and decided to turn away Jews, also at a time of collapse. Absent a collapse in Honduran society there would be no migrants. Collapse produces refugees. Nations of the world, burned by their mistreatment of Jewish refugees, produced the laws on their treatment we live by. Don't like it, write to your representatives and tell them to abrogate the treaties and repeal the laws. Hint: don't use the word "locusts."

I'm retired. If I want to check something out in a little depth, I have the time. If you want to find something close to the truth, you can, but it takes time that most working adults Don't have. The media knows this, so they misrepresent with impunity. If you point out their fraud, it Doesn't even register. You're one person. There are thousands who've already accepted the lie.

If you point out their fraud you're a conspiracy theorist.

If you point out their fraud you're a conspiracy theorist.

Of course they have to label you as a nut. They have to be dismissive because that way they don't have to deal with the evidence. You've just witnessed something like that right here in this thread. The evidence within the poll is clearly the polar opposite of the headline to a very great extent. CNN managed to torture a misleading article out of the evidence of one small poll, and they're all declaring it definitive. Hell, most of 'em didn't read it or they're so accustomed to lying they can't be embarrassed.

Of course they have to label you as a nut. They have to be dismissive because that way they don't have to deal with the evidence. You've just witnessed something like that right here in this thread. The evidence within the poll is clearly the polar opposite of the headline to a very great extent. CNN managed to torture a misleading article out of the evidence of one small poll, and they're all declaring it definitive. Hell, most of 'em didn't read it or they're so accustomed to lying they can't be embarrassed.

It happens so often now that you wonder if they teach it in journalism school or if the media's screening process of job applicants gets rid of all the honest ones.

It happens so often now that you wonder if they teach it in journalism school or if the media's screening process of job applicants gets rid of all the honest ones.

It's definitely a practiced thing. Whether it's taught or just innately conceived is anybody's guess. I'd hate to think it's taught...but it's hard to imagine someone so morally decrepit all on his or her own, either. I'm sure that with some of the media it's that, "I need something biting, infuriating, and ostensibly outrageous for the lead. I know you can do it. Try asking why Trump doesn't have a dog, and then do the usual bit. Most Americans love dogs, and Trump doesn't, so why does Trump hate dogs?"

Newsflash! The entire human population is not going wherever they please. Study up on the why's of the migration from Honduras. Read the law and relevant treaties. Yours is the logic of the countries who met in 1938 and decided to turn away Jews, also at a time of collapse. Absent a collapse in Honduran society there would be no migrants. Collapse produces refugees. Nations of the world, burned by their mistreatment of Jewish refugees, produced the laws on their treatment we live by. Don't like it, write to your representatives and tell them to abrogate the treaties and repeal the laws. Hint: don't use the word "locusts."

The global economic depression has not even started yet...I am thinking ahead....we need to get ready for what is coming.

It wasn't a CNN poll. Try again.

Does it really matter? Opinion polls assured you that Hillary (the hildabeast) Clinton was going to be elected president in 2016. As much as you would like to live and die by opinion polls, cherry picking 800 to 1200 people do not speak for the entire population.

You're more of an idealist than I. :)

The law is very selectively applied in this country. The ruling class is above the law, as Clapper, Brennan, Bush and many other cases show.
That is wrong and must change.

The Statue represents the liberty of this Country and it's friendship with France, not immigrants.
And no, it was not on a statue we installed, and no "we" did not put it there.
The sonnet was donated to raise money for the statue's base.
A friend later donated the bronze plaque and dedicated it to the loving memory of Emma Lazarus.
It had not a damn thing to do with what the Statue stands for and is not our credo and has no relevance to our immigration law or policy.

[...]

The poem was chosen to appear in the “Catalogue of the Pedestal Fund Art Loan Exhibition at the National Academy of Design” that accompanied the auction and later was published in both the New York World and the New York Times. Yet when the Statute of Liberty was finally dedicated in 1886, “The New Colossus” did not appear at the site.

Only in 1901, 17 years after the death of Emma Lazarus, did a friend of hers, Georgina Schuyler, come upon the poem in a bookshop and proposed that it be integrated into the exhibition at Bedloe’s Island (today, Liberty Island). Two years later, a plate engraved with the poem was installed inside the Statue of Liberty’s pedestal, where it is still on display today.

[...]

(Link)
Neither the history, intent, or even the actual words of this poem mean a damn thing.
What matters is what it has come to mean over time, it's influence over us.

To generations of Americans, it means "we help people who need it most", or some such.

It doesn't matter one whit whether that influence is a myth of our own creation, it's influence remains nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom