• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll: 70% of Americans support admitting the migrant caravan into the USA

Doesn't matter who wrote it, it was on a statue we installed as a beacon of liberty.

We put it there and accepted it as our own, it's our credo now.

And I for one do not want to change it.

The writer was Jewish, but it wasn't referencing Jewish people. He made that up.

And you're right, it was installed in 1903, so we have for over a century considered it as a beacon to all immigrants.

Well, it's good to know that roughly 3 of 4 get the meaning of, "Give us your huddled masses."

The other one...well, suffice it to say, he prefers to huddle in a corner with a shotgun.

Greetings, calamity. :2wave:

These current masses are certainly not huddled! :2no4: Somewhere along the line these illegal immigrants came to the conclusion that they're giving the orders about what is to be done with them, which does make me wonder where they're getting their information from. Judging from what I've read lately, I suspect that most Americans have never supported anything by 70 per cent, including who we elect to send to DC, so that argument doesn't hold water either. :argue:

Doesn't matter who wrote it, it was on a statue we installed as a beacon of liberty.

We put it there and accepted it as our own, it's our credo now.

And I for one do not want to change it.
The Statue represents the liberty of this Country and it's friendship with France, not immigrants.
And no, it was not on a statue we installed, and no "we" did not put it there.
The sonnet was donated to raise money for the statue's base.
A friend later donated the bronze plaque and dedicated it to the loving memory of Emma Lazarus.
It had not a damn thing to do with what the Statue stands for and is not our credo and has no relevance to our immigration law or policy.

[...]

The poem was chosen to appear in the “Catalogue of the Pedestal Fund Art Loan Exhibition at the National Academy of Design” that accompanied the auction and later was published in both the New York World and the New York Times. Yet when the Statute of Liberty was finally dedicated in 1886, “The New Colossus” did not appear at the site.

Only in 1901, 17 years after the death of Emma Lazarus, did a friend of hers, Georgina Schuyler, come upon the poem in a bookshop and proposed that it be integrated into the exhibition at Bedloe’s Island (today, Liberty Island). Two years later, a plate engraved with the poem was installed inside the Statue of Liberty’s pedestal, where it is still on display today.

[...]

(Link)

Cite for that? It was written for the Statue of Liberty, specific to that monument and that location.

For the Statue of liberty? No.
Donated to raise money so a base for the statue could be built.

The statue was not even up yet. She wrote of what such a statue would represent to her.
Who do you think the "exiles" to her were in the “Mother of Exiles”? Huh?

Who the do you think the tired poor huddled masses yearning to breath free were? Some indiscriminate group of people? Or the ones she knew about and had just returned from seeing?

The immortal words were penned by young Emma Lazarus, soon after her return from a European trip where she had seen the persecution of Jews and others first hand:

The Jewish-American Hall of Fame

After demurring, she was encouraged to write about those persecuted Russian Jews she was familiar with.

[...]

Writer Constance Cary Harrison also had to conjure an image of Lady Liberty to persuade Emma Lazarus to contribute. When first approached, Lazarus demurred. She didn’t write “to order” and made fun of her “portfolio fiend” friend. But Harrison had read Lazarus’s articles about the plight of Russian Jews abroad and knew of her volunteer work at the hospital on Ward’s Island:

“Think of that Goddess standing on her pedestal down yonder in the bay, and holding her torch out to those Russian refugees of yours you are so fond of visiting at Ward’s Island.” The shaft sped home—her dark eyes deepened—her cheek flushed—the time for merriment had passed—she said not a word more, then.

[...]

The Official Blog of Library of America

The writer was Jewish, but it wasn't referencing Jewish people. He made that up.
Wrong as usual you are.

[...]

Though raised in privilege, Lazarus had spent her life writing about anti-Semitism and ethnic prejudice, and in the 1880s became a fierce advocate for Jewish refugees fleeing massacre in Russia. The sonnet, called “The New Colossus,” reflected that conviction.

[...]

But the entire poem is much longer, and according to historians, speaks to the work Lazarus did to be a spokeswoman for the Jewish community and welcome Russian refugees in the 1880s.

[...]

Link

That was always the case though, it's not a surprise.

Of course we let them in, they're seeking asylum.
It's part of our laws that we let them in and process their requests.

They may not all be allowed to stay, but we're supposed to be a nation of laws, so we follow the laws.

Not panicking about aliens and respect for the rule of law is sooo pre-Trumpian. That said, as with the zero-tolerance border situation, the American people seem saner and more mature than some of our leaders.

If you believe CNN. :roll: Anyone from Tijuana polled, they're not happy to have the caravaners in their city, or even their country.

Well that settles it. Refugee law, treaties, humanitarian principles, etc. succumb to one poll in Tijuana.

I suspect that we do agree, that these thugs need to be told HELL NO!.

The vast migrations of human locusts are just at the beginning stages, they will get much worst, we need to get ready and defend our borders starting now.

“Human locusts.” Thank you for putting it in perspective, Herr Goebbels. Tho to be fair, I think ol’ Joseph referred to Jews as rats, thus giving them status as mammals. Anyway, after we “get ready,” I guess we’ll recognize you at the border, distributing cans of Raid.

“Human locusts.” Thank you for putting it in perspective, Herr Goebbels. Tho to be fair, I think ol’ Joseph referred to Jews as rats, thus giving them status as mammals. Anyway, after we “get ready,” I guess we’ll recognize you at the border, distributing cans of Raid.

During times of collapse as much order as can be found is the call. We can not tolerate the planets human population going where ever they please.

Baloney....CNN? Why would anyone believe CNN? Nobody I knows wants a bunch of gang bangers and welfare recipients to crash our border. I bet 70% or more want a border wall instead.

The Statue represents the liberty of this Country and it's friendship with France, not immigrants.
A friend later donated the bronze plaque and dedicated it to the loving memory of Emma Lazarus.
It had not a damn thing to do with what the Statue stands for and is not our credo and has no relevance to our immigration law or policy.

Well, it does have a damn thing to do with what the Statue stands for. You can try to rewrite American history if you want, but it was and is a powerful symbol for all those immigrants who passed through Ellis Island. Exactly no one looks at the Statue of Liberty and thinks, "Friendship with FRANCE!! Yeah! France!!"

But the entire poem is much longer, and according to historians, speaks to the work Lazarus did to be a spokeswoman for the Jewish community and welcome Russian refugees in the 1880s.

None of that indicates the poem was referring to Jews, was meant only for Jews. That she was inspired by Jewish immigrants in no way means it was referring exclusively to Jewish immigrants, or that "it means" Jewish immigrants. Its meaning is what readers believe is the meaning, nothing in the words points to anything but all immigrants.

Baloney....CNN? Why would anyone believe CNN? Nobody I knows wants a bunch of gang bangers and welfare recipients to crash our border. I bet 70% or more want a border wall instead.

CNN didn't do the poll.

And FSM help us if 70% want a Great Wall of Trump. Dumbest f'ing idea ever.

"If they meet certain requirements."

CNN misleading readers? I'm shocked!

Sent from my HTC phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.

That's always good - quoting from the first sentence of an article to prove the article was misleading! How dare they bury a relevant fact in the FIRST SENTENCE!!!! FAKE NEWS!!!!

An awful lot of people just roll with this stuff without questioning it. I'm fairly dismayed at the efforts to bury the truth these days. When opinion and factual news are intertwined so closely, the truth suffers.

Boy howdy.
Can't call it "reporting" anymore and you sure as hell can't call it "journalism" ... but adding "advocacy" as the first word would work though.

Greetings, calamity. :2wave:

These current masses are certainly not huddled! :2no4: Somewhere along the line these illegal immigrants came to the conclusion that they're giving the orders about what is to be done with them, which does make me wonder where they're getting their information from. Judging from what I've read lately, I suspect that most Americans have never supported anything by 70 per cent, including who we elect to send to DC, so that argument doesn't hold water either. :argue:

With confidence, I suggest most Americans prefer a warm shower to a cold one, and soap of one sort or another. Thank the gods!

That was always the case though, it's not a surprise.

Of course we let them in, they're seeking asylum.
It's part of our laws that we let them in and process their requests.

They may not all be allowed to stay, but we're supposed to be a nation of laws, so we follow the laws.

You're more of an idealist than I. :)

The law is very selectively applied in this country. The ruling class is above the law, as Clapper, Brennan, Bush and many other cases show.

[...]

The poem was chosen to appear in the “Catalogue of the Pedestal Fund Art Loan Exhibition at the National Academy of Design” that accompanied the auction and later was published in both the New York World and the New York Times. Yet when the Statute of Liberty was finally dedicated in 1886, “The New Colossus” did not appear at the site.

Only in 1901, 17 years after the death of Emma Lazarus, did a friend of hers, Georgina Schuyler, come upon the poem in a bookshop and proposed that it be integrated into the exhibition at Bedloe’s Island (today, Liberty Island). Two years later, a plate engraved with the poem was installed inside the Statue of Liberty’s pedestal, where it is still on display today.

[...]

(Link)

For the Statue of liberty? No.
Donated to raise money so a base for the statue could be built.

The statue was not even up yet. She wrote of what such a statue would represent to her.
Who do you think the "exiles" to her were in the “Mother of Exiles”? Huh?

Who the do you think the tired poor huddled masses yearning to breath free were? Some indiscriminate group of people? Or the ones she knew about and had just returned from seeing?

The immortal words were penned by young Emma Lazarus, soon after her return from a European trip where she had seen the persecution of Jews and others first hand:

The Jewish-American Hall of Fame

After demurring, she was encouraged to write about those persecuted Russian Jews she was familiar with.

[...]

Writer Constance Cary Harrison also had to conjure an image of Lady Liberty to persuade Emma Lazarus to contribute. When first approached, Lazarus demurred. She didn’t write “to order” and made fun of her “portfolio fiend” friend. But Harrison had read Lazarus’s articles about the plight of Russian Jews abroad and knew of her volunteer work at the hospital on Ward’s Island:

“Think of that Goddess standing on her pedestal down yonder in the bay, and holding her torch out to those Russian refugees of yours you are so fond of visiting at Ward’s Island.” The shaft sped home—her dark eyes deepened—her cheek flushed—the time for merriment had passed—she said not a word more, then.

[...]

The Official Blog of Library of America

Wrong as usual you are.

[...]

Though raised in privilege, Lazarus had spent her life writing about anti-Semitism and ethnic prejudice, and in the 1880s became a fierce advocate for Jewish refugees fleeing massacre in Russia. The sonnet, called “The New Colossus,” reflected that conviction.

[...]

[...]

Link

Winner of the "Words written on the plaque don't really say what they really say" award.

With confidence, I suggest most Americans prefer a warm shower to a cold one, and soap of one sort or another. Thank the gods!

:thumbs: *okay, I agree with that 70 percent* :mrgreen:

Winner of the "Words written on the plaque don't really say what they really say" award.

I see you are confused as usual.
The words say exactly what they say. But of course you do not understand that.

I got it off the article, at the link. See for yourself if you don't believe me. If you're talking about the OP, OK, but you should have said so.

OK, but they're not changed now, and half of Republicans want them broken. Again, seems like 'news' to me but if you don't agree, OK.

Yes I do. But I looked it up and he issued the order.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/us/politics/trump-proclamation-caravan-asylum.html

So we'll see if it survives the court challenges.

Not likely to survive a judge - there's always a federal judge somewhere willing to put a stay on things like this. It'll develop a long legal tail.

Boy howdy.
Can't call it "reporting" anymore and you sure as hell can't call it "journalism" ... but adding "advocacy" as the first word would work though.

I'm retired. If I want to check something out in a little depth, I have the time. If you want to find something close to the truth, you can, but it takes time that most working adults Don't have. The media knows this, so they misrepresent with impunity. If you point out their fraud, it Doesn't even register. You're one person. There are thousands who've already accepted the lie.

That's always good - quoting from the first sentence of an article to prove the article was misleading! How dare they bury a relevant fact in the FIRST SENTENCE!!!! FAKE NEWS!!!!
They know that most people only read the headline.

Sent from my HTC phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.

Well, it does have a damn thing to do with what the Statue stands for.
Wrong.
Immigration is not what the Statue represents.

You can try to rewrite American history if you want,
Stop with the bs. I provided factual background regarding the sonnet.
You on the other hand seem to be dismissing history because it is inconvenient for you.

but it was and is a powerful symbol for all those immigrants who passed through Ellis Island.
No one said that a statue representing "Liberty" would not have an impact on the immigrants who saw it.

Exactly no one looks at the Statue of Liberty and thinks, "Friendship with FRANCE!! Yeah! France!!"
You are creating a straw-man to argue.
I pointed out what the Statue actually represents, our liberty (hence statue of Liberty) and our friendship with France, not what folks may or may not think about it.

None of that indicates the poem was referring to Jews, was meant only for Jews.
You are choosing to deny reality.
I provided factual information.
The suffering Russian Jews is what she was writing about.

That she was inspired by Jewish immigrants in no way means it was referring exclusively to Jewish immigrants, or that "it means" Jewish immigrants.
Again.
[COLOR="#00004"]Who do you think the "exiles" to her were in the “Mother of Exiles”? Huh?

Who the do you think the tired poor huddled masses yearning to breath free were? Some indiscriminate group of people? Or the ones she knew about and had just returned from seeing?[/COLOR]

The position you have taken is untenable.

Its meaning is what readers believe is the meaning,
Oy Vey! It having a personal meaning to a reader does not negate what it actually represents.

They know that most people only read the headline.

There's no obligation for a news org to put all relevant facts in the headline. If people don't read beyond it because they're stupid and lazy, that's not really the problem of the news org or the article. The headline did say, "Majority say migrants in caravan should be given the opportunity to enter the country" which of course implies conditions.

Back
Top Bottom