• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I support Israel, and you?

Did you fail to read this part:

Total identifiable costs come to almost $3 trillion. About 60 percent, well over half, of those costs—about $1.7 trillion—arose from the U.S. defense of Israel, where most of that amount has been incurred since 1973

So basically your argument is "no citations = you wrong" Typical Dav.

Why didn't you answer to the rest of us' comments about your hate site?

And his claims for citations are obviously legit. If there is no citation we're supposed to depend on a propaganda website, and that's just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Did you fail to read this part:

Total identifiable costs come to almost $3 trillion. About 60 percent, well over half, of those costs—about $1.7 trillion—arose from the U.S. defense of Israel, where most of that amount has been incurred since 1973

So basically your argument is "no citations = you wrong" Typical Dav.

My argument is "stupid report = really stupid". I'm honestly surprised you'd post it, not to mention defend it; it's about as trustworthy as if Hamas itself had done the same report.

Apparently the reason the cost for 1973 is put so high is that pretty much everything that followed and cost the U.S. money, including the entire recession, is blamed entirely on the war. Also from mbig's link: "Among other Deceptions, Stauffer also Outrageously counts private contributions from American Jewish individuals and organizations–totaling as much as $60 billion in grants or bonds. He complains that those donations are a “net drain” on the U.S. economy." Do we really need any more proof that the report is just trying to tie everything under the sun into the conflict to inflate the numbers- and that the guy in charge is not exactly an econ major? The only cost that can without much doubt be directly related to our helping Israel is the $247 billion in aid to them, and even that number is questionable, it apparently conflicting with other figures.

And yeah, no citations pretty much makes it 100% untrustworthy right away, though a closer look at the numbers will make that quick categorization unnecessary to realize such.

Last edited:
Of course I support Israel. I pay taxes in America.

That wuz funny, right thar'.

mutt_front.gif

Hostile are only Palestinians, the Israels have the Right to defend themselves from terrorists and suicide bombers. The best solution will be if all Palestinians will go to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait or other Gulf countries.

Or, maybe we could put muslims in work camps or kill off a few million of them. Alfons is consistenly wrong.
I hate to go Godwin on this but seriously?

Last edited:
It is well-known the mission of "peace" was a huge provocation of Jihadists & lefties who wanted to provoke Israel. Can you imagine yourself if such ships of Iranians or Libyans go to US - coast to support US - Muslims without any permission of American authorities?What could be happen to them, in addition after killing of many US - soldiers or police officials? Why every country may defend its borders, but Israel it is not allow?I sure all honest people should support Israel in its fight against jihadists and Palestinian murders.

When Israel stops its aggressive actions and expansion into the West bank I will suport them. Neither side is without faults in this battle.

When Israel stops its aggressive actions and expansion into the West bank I will suport them. Neither side is without faults in this battle.

Israel doesn't "expand" its territories.
No new settlements have been built in the West Bank for years, and none are planned for the future.
The recent temporary freeze of settlements activity in the West Bank was a freeze of internal growth, not of external growth, since external growth doesn't even exist.

Besides that, Israel's defensive actions are meant to bring security to its citizens who are under attack, and Israel as a state has an obligation to the security of its citizens more than to anything else.

It is well-known the mission of "peace" was a huge provocation of Jihadists & lefties who wanted to provoke Israel. Can you imagine yourself if such ships of Iranians or Libyans go to US - coast to support US - Muslims without any permission of American authorities?What could be happen to them, in addition after killing of many US - soldiers or police officials? Why every country may defend its borders, but Israel it is not allow?I sure all honest people should support Israel in its fight against jihadists and Palestinian murders.

I acknowledge Israel's right to exist and think it is a example to the region. If that is now 'support Israel', lets go along with that.

But I reserve the right to criticise them when I think it does wrong as I would any other country. :shrug:

Do you support the Palestinian Arabs then? They have a longer record of aggression than the Israelis do...

But I reserve the right to criticise them when I think it does wrong as I would any other country. :shrug:

I doubt if this forum would be as contentious as it is if people actually criticised Israel as they do any other country.

It is all the abuse heaped upon Israel that ISN'T directed at any other country that is the problem, the disproportonate obsession with attacking the Jewish state part and parcel of a world-wide agenda, the origin of which has nothing to do with criticism of a country, but everything to do with finding any smokescreen useful in attacking a people.

I doubt if this forum would be as contentious as it is if people actually criticised Israel as they do any other country.

It is all the abuse heaped upon Israel that ISN'T directed at any other country that is the problem, the disproportonate obsession with attacking the Jewish state part and parcel of a world-wide agenda, the origin of which has nothing to do with criticism of a country, but everything to do with finding any smokescreen useful in attacking a people.

other than the USA, what other nation except israel have you seen initiating hostile actions against other soverign states?
the criticism of israel is totally justified
quit your whining ... you're getting all verklempt

other than the USA, what other nation except israel have you seen initiating hostile actions against other soverign states?
the criticism of israel is totally justified
quit your whining ... you're getting all verklempt

I thought about something else: when North Korea or some other dictatorship (including most of the Arab world) does something bad like executing people, using terrorism or when there is a war somewhere in Africa and that thousands of women are raped...it's bad, but there is not much to discuss about:

1) no one is trying to defend these countries, no one will ever say that it is somewhat justified

2) that's what we expect from dictatorships or third world countries.

On the other hand, when Israel or the USA do something bad, even if it is much less terrible (like torturing a prisonner or using disproportionate force against civilians), there is a lot of discussion because

1) some people defend these acts

2) that's not a behavior we can expect from western democracies

Furthermore, as you said, I think Israel is the only "western" country which occupies and annexes foreign land for decades. And that's the weak point of this country: we don't really care if there is some corruption or if their government is very right wing (look at who gets elected in Switzerland or in Austria), what many people find not acceptable is the colonies in West Bank and the way Palestinians are treated (with the wall, the blockade...). Remove the colonies, the checkpoints and the blockade, and there's not much left that can be criticized in Israel.

I thought about something else: when North Korea or some other dictatorship (including most of the Arab world) does something bad like executing people, using terrorism or when there is a war somewhere in Africa and that thousands of women are raped...it's bad, but there is not much to discuss about:

1) no one is trying to defend these countries, no one will ever say that it is somewhat justified

On the other hand, when Israel or the USA do something bad, even if it is much less terrible (like torturing a prisonner or using disproportionate force against civilians), there is a lot of discussion because

I pretty much agree with this. Also I haven't seen many people from say Iran come on and say they love the regime. If they did people would argue with them. I don't notice any Taliban supporters telling us how they love to stone women or send children out as suicide bombers. If they did we would argue.

The first political forum I went on had a lot of Chinese. All but one of them would not say a word against China. I had plenty of arguments with them particularly over Tibet. ;)

Last edited:

Furthermore, as you said, I think Israel is the only "western" country which occupies and annexes foreign land for decades. And that's the weak point of this country: we don't really care if there is some corruption or if their government is very right wing (look at who gets elected in Switzerland or in Austria), what many people find not acceptable is the colonies in West Bank and the way Palestinians are treated (with the wall, the blockade...). Remove the colonies, the checkpoints and the blockade, and there's not much left that can be criticized in Israel.

That's pretty much a call for double standards there, this shouldn't happen, all countries and people should be judged equally for their actions no matter what their current status is.

The real problem however, as far as the Israeli issue is concerned, is that the anti-Israeli camp does not seek to merely criticize or oppose Israel for actions they deem wrong (or actions they claim Israel takes) - they seek to strip it from its basic right to self defense. Whether it's through the criticism of the Israeli military attacks on Hamas and Hezbollah or whether it's through the asinine demand to unconditionally end the occupation, remove the barriers and remove the blockade on the strip, as if the security of the Israeli citizens is not even a factor in their thought line.
The demand to remove the now-military blockade on the strip is by far the most clear and obvious attempt to strip Israel of its right to self-defense, as it is clear that a military blockade on the strip is targeting Hamas, since it only bars entrance to weapons and dual-use items.

I think that in the Gaza flotilla incident we were exposed to something we were never exposed to before at such levels; we have seen an incident where even when footage videos have left no room for doubt that the people who have operated under the mask of peaceful activists have attacked the Israeli soldiers, there were still those who've chosen to reject reality and take on their own version of events, there were still those who have chosen to simply make baseless accusations towards the Israeli soldiers, claiming that they've boarded the ship and immediately opened fire on the activists trying to kill them.
The thing we were exposed to is how irrational was the anti-Israeli camp willing to get in its attempts to strip Israel off its right to self-defense and demonize it.

Besides all that, I think you're very wrong in your initial assertions, nations like Iran and terrorist organizations like Hamas and Hizballah are being defended all the time, by the same group of people who oppose nations like the US and Israel. Such defense is usually being expressed by the mostly failing attempt to compare and divert the attention to nations like the US and Israel.

Last edited:
why do i think you have been given new talking points with orders to disseminate them
ok, let's play
That's pretty much a call for double standards there, this shouldn't happen, all countries and people should be judged equally for their actions no matter what their current status is.
let's include a mutual respect for soverign borders in this cry for consistency

The real problem however, as far as the Israeli issue is concerned, is that the anti-Israeli camp does not seek to merely criticize or oppose Israel for actions they deem wrong (or actions they claim Israel takes) - they seek to strip it from its basic right to self defense.
yes, we hear you. the nuclear power of the middle east is all concerned about its self defense
and you must be avoiding a mirror while typing this to dare whine about parties trying to deprive a nation of self defense capability as you simultaneously seek to prohibit iran from acquiring the same nuclear capacity as your own nation

Whether it's through the criticism of the Israeli military attacks on Hamas and Hezbollah or whether it's through the asinine demand to unconditionally end the occupation, remove the barriers and remove the blockade on the strip, as if the security of the Israeli citizens is not even a factor in their thought line.
The demand to remove the now-military blockade on the strip is by far the most clear and obvious attempt to strip Israel of its right to self-defense, as it is clear that a military blockade on the strip is targeting Hamas, since it only bars entrance to weapons and dual-use items.
yes, those dual use items, like chocolate
feigned outrage on your part while seeking to continue justifying an inhumane embargo oppressing civilian Palestinians

I think that in the Gaza flotilla incident we were exposed to something we were never exposed to before at such levels; we have seen an incident where even when footage videos have left no room for doubt that the people who have operated under the mask of peaceful activists have attacked the Israeli soldiers, there were still those who've chosen to reject reality and take on their own version of events, there were still those who have chosen to simply make baseless accusations towards the Israeli soldiers, claiming that they've boarded the ship and immediately opened fire on the activists trying to kill them.
The thing we were exposed to is how irrational was the anti-Israeli camp willing to get in its attempts to strip Israel off its right to self-defense and demonize it.
yes, the israeli expectation in the name of self defense is to be able to violate international law and board a weaponless vessel which has committed no wrong and kill its passengers without incurring criticism for the IDF's hostile actions

Besides all that, I think you're very wrong in your initial assertions, nations like Iran and terrorist organizations like Hamas and Hizballah are being defended all the time, by the same group of people who oppose nations like the US and Israel. Such defense is usually being expressed by the mostly failing attempt to compare and divert the attention to nations like the US and Israel.
yes, nations like iran, which nation has not initiated a hostile action against another nation since the early 1800's - almost 200 years ... compared to the repeated instances of the israeli incursions into other nations - alway under the guise of "pre-emptive" attack
you do need more cheese with that weak whine

why do i think you have been given new talking points with orders to disseminate them
Because that's how you've been programed to think.
Any contradicting argument is obviously the result of the Zionist entity's schemes.
let's include a mutual respect for soverign borders in this cry for consistency
That statement absolutely cannot be related to the statement it was responding to.
yes, those dual use items, like chocolate
feigned outrage on your part while seeking to continue justifying an inhumane embargo oppressing civilian Palestinians
Chocolate was not included in the dual use items, and you're referring to the civil blockade while I'm referring to the current blockade, the military blockade on Hamas that the anti-Israeli camp opposes.
yes, the israeli expectation in the name of self defense is to be able to violate international law and board a weaponless vessel which has committed no wrong and kill its passengers without incurring criticism for the IDF's hostile actions
Proving my point, a baseless accusation and a creation of a false reality.
The anti-Israeli camp is rejecting the videos showing the activists attacking the soldiers and is making up its own facts, trying to demonize the Israeli state to promote ill intentions.
yes, we hear you. the nuclear power of the middle east is all concerned about its self defense
and you must be avoiding a mirror while typing this to dare whine about parties trying to deprive a nation of self defense capability as you simultaneously seek to prohibit iran from acquiring the same nuclear capacity as your own nation

yes, nations like iran, which nation has not initiated a hostile action against another nation since the early 1800's - almost 200 years ... compared to the repeated instances of the israeli incursions into other nations - alway under the guise of "pre-emptive" attack
you do need more cheese with that weak whine

Proving my other point, people really do defend nations like Iran, contrary to bub's claim.

Because that's how you've been programed to think.
Any contradicting argument is obviously the result of the Zionist entity's schemes.

That statement absolutely cannot be related to the statement it was responding to.

Chocolate was not included in the dual use items, and you're referring to the civil blockade while I'm referring to the current blockade, the military blockade on Hamas that the anti-Israeli camp opposes.

Proving my point, a baseless accusation and a creation of a false reality.
The anti-Israeli camp is rejecting the videos showing the activists attacking the soldiers and is making up its own facts, trying to demonize the Israeli state to promote ill intentions.

Proving my other point, people really do defend nations like Iran, contrary to bub's claim.

JustBubba was giving an appropriately flippant response to your inability to take Bub's genuine post genuinely.

Israel is different to us. That is to the rest of so called 'Western' Countries. I never understood your arguments about Jews being a Nation until today. You see we call a country a Nation. Everyone who lives in that country regardless of their ethnic background is part of that Nation. That is how Western Europe is. Israel however seems to believe that Jews are a Nation. Hence Israel is Nationalistic and Nationalistic for the Nation of Jews. How so, when 20 or 25% of it's people are of Christian and Muslim origin. There are big differences between the way Israel operates and other supposed 'Western' Nations..

But your belief in people who oppose being based on propaganda is not correct. However it may not be people like Bub and Justbubba you need worry about. The problem may come more from liberal Jews in the US.

Rather than fostering free and open discussion, Beinart points out, the organized American Jewish community has sought to stifle it: “In recent years, American Jewish organizations have waged a campaign to discredit the world’s most respected international human rights groups. In 2006, Abraham Foxman (of the Anti-Defamation League) called an Amnesty International Report on Israeli killing of Lebanese civilians ‘bigoted, biased, and borderline anti-Semitic.’ The Conference of Presidents has announced that ‘biased NGOs include Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Christian Aid, and Save The Children.’ Last summer, an AIPAC spokesman declared that Human Rights Watch ‘has repeatedly demonstrated its anti-Israel bias’ … Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International are not infallible. But when groups like AIPAC and the Presidents Conference avoid virtually all public criticism of Israeli actions — directing their outrage solely at Israel’s neighbors — they leave themselves in a poor position to charge bias.”

At the very moment when the ADL opposed the Obama administration’s award of the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Mary Robinson, former U.N. high commissioner for human rights, because she had presided over the 200l World Conference Against Racism at which Israel was initially criticized (Robinson managed to expunge the defamatory charge), writes Beinart, “… an alliance of seven Israeli human rights groups publicly congratulated her on her award. Many of these groups, like B’Tselem, which monitors Israel’s actions in the Occupied Territories, and the Israeli branch of Physicians for Human Rights, have been at least as critical of Israel’s actions in Lebanon, Gaza and the West Bank, as have Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch. All of which raises an uncomfortable question: if American Jewish groups claim that Israel’s overseas human rights critics are motivated by anti-Israeli, if not anti-Semitic bias, what does that say about Israel’s domestic rights critics? The implication is clear: they must be guilty of self-hatred if not treason.”

Peter Beinart, whose family attends an Orthodox synagogue, laments that, “This obsession with victimhood lies at the heart of why Zionism is dying among America’s secular Jewish young. It simply bears no relationship to their lived experience or what they have seen of Israel’s. Yes, Israel faces threats from Hezbollah and Hamas. Yes, Israelis understandably worry about a nuclear Iran. But the dilemmas you face when you possess dozens or hundreds of nuclear weapons, and your adversary, however despicable, may acquire one, are not the dilemmas of the Warsaw Ghetto. The year 2010 is not, as Benjamin Netanyahu has claimed, 1938. The drama of Jewish victimhood — a drama that feels natural to many Jews who lived through 1938, 1948, or even 1967 — strikes most of today’s young American Jews as farce.”

more here

Article Details

The article is from the American Council of Judaism which I know does not believe in Zionism but these quotes and plenty more are from a variety of American Jews.

Last edited:
I support Israel all the way, but don't understand why American Jews mostly vote Democrat, when Democrats constantly support Palestine over Israel.

I support Israel all the way, but don't understand why American Jews mostly vote Democrat, when Democrats constantly support Palestine over Israel.

Which democrats are you talking about? Obama is no supporter of Israel, and neither was Carter, but other democrats have been very supportive. Sure, there is a certain portion of the left that is so stupid and brainwashed that they can, as apoc pointed out, view footage of the incident on the flotilla and still swear up and down that their fantasy is really reality, but these are just some disturbed people prattling away over the internet. Heck, most of them are not even Americans at all, but just dogmatic Europeans repeating the mantras of their cult of Palestinianism which has replaced the role of religion in their lives. Like any faithful, what is real is sublimated to their faith, and so it doesn't matter to them what actually happened, only that are marching in lockstep.

U.S. Muslims don't live in deplorable conditions. They're not constantly harrassed by American soldiers. They don't have to deal with having walls separating them and the rest of the world. 70% of them don't live in poverty. They don't have massive unemployment. Why you'd think this comparison is even remotely logical is beyond me.

But just so that I know what it is you're trying to compare here, lets say an Arab country kept a bunch of bad Jews segregated (surrounded by mostly good Jews) from the world. It kept them in ghettos, had control over the food that gets to them and then on top of this restricted their movements through the country, would you support it?

Last edited:
U.S. Muslims don't live in deplorable conditions. They're not constantly harrassed by American soldiers. They don't have to deal with having walls separating them and the rest of the world. 70% of them don't live in poverty. They don't have massive unemployment. Why you'd think this comparison is even remotely logical is beyond me.
But Middle East Muslims do live in deplorable conditions.
Cairenes just 200 miles away live at least as poorly as palestinians.
And no safety net We're paying for. (UNRWA)

And for the same reason. Backward cultures and Obscenely high fertility.
Palestinian population grows 40% every 10 years/doubles every 20 years.
And unlike say the Saudis/Gulf States, they have no oil.

But just so that I know what it is you're trying to compare here, lets say an Arab country kept a bunch of bad Jews segregated (surrounded by mostly good Jews) from the world. It kept them in ghettos, had control over the food that gets to them and then on top of this restricted their movements through the country, would you support it?
"Imagine" is the right word, since Jews in Arabian countries have been long since cleansed.
Indeed, even the new 'Palestine' wants a Judenrein state despite the fact Israel is 20% arab/'palestinian'.

Last edited:
But Middle East Muslims do live in deplorable conditions.

In which country?

Cairenes just 200 miles away live at least as poorly as palestinians.

Prove it or GTFO.

And no safety net We're paying for. (UNRWA)

Who is 'we'?

And for the same reason. Backward cultures and Obscenely high fertility.

So?

Palestinian population grows 40% every 10 years/doubles every 20 years.

So?
And unlike say the Saudis/Gulf States, they have no oil.

"Imagine" is the right word, since Jews in Arabian countries have been long since cleansed.
Indeed, even the new 'Palestine' wants a Judenrein state despite the fact Israel is 20% arab/'palestinian'.

So nothing to reply? Do you deflect every logical point made to you with links to pro-Israeli websites and non-sequiturs? You're starting to get boring. Next you'll be posting maps of Israel like I give a **** what pretty drawings you can come up with.

There is a string about the alleged Gaza "ghetto" in the ME forum. I suggest you peruse it.

In which country?

Prove it or GTFO.

Who is 'we'?

So?

So?

So nothing to reply? Do you deflect every logical point made to you with links to pro-Israeli websites and non-sequiturs? You're starting to get boring. Next you'll be posting maps of Israel like I give a **** what pretty drawings you can come up with.
Above is an example of the Misuse/ABUSE of multi-quoting.
Breaking up post into less than whole statements/thoughts.
(ie, he wouldn't need two answers to "which country" if he quoted the whole thought)
Also characterized by Inane/bellicose one word 'replies' (ie , "So?" which don't say anything except "I'm angry".

But to answer a few of the above screamers..
1. "We" is the USA which contributes 25% of the UN Budget as well as additional monies.

2. Half of Egyptian children below poverty line - Unicef, International News - By Indiaedunews.net
February 19, 2010

2a. Israel has actually dramatically Improved the palestinian Standard of Living UNTIL the 2000 Intifada is. What Occupation?

Prior to the 1967 war, fewer than 60% of all male adults had been employed, with unemployment among refugees running as high as 83%. Within a brief period after the war, Israeli Occupation had led to Dramatic improvements in general well-being, placing the population of the territories ahead of most of their Arab neighbors. In the economic sphere, most of this progress was the result of access to the far larger and more advanced Israeli economy: the number of Palestinians working in Israel rose from Zero in 1967 to 66,000 in 1975 and 109,000 by 1986, accounting for 35% of the employed population of the West Bank and 45% in Gaza....

During the 1970's, the West Bank and Gaza constituted the 4th fastest-growing economy in the world-ahead of such "wonders" as Singapore, Hong Kong, and Korea, and substantially ahead of Israel itself.
Although GNP per capita grew somewhat more slowly, the rate was still high by international standards, with per-capita GNP expanding TENFOLD between 1968 and 1991 from $165 to $1,715 (compared with Jordan's $1,050, Egypt's $600, Turkey's $1,630, and Tunisia's $1,440).
By 1999, Palestinian per-capita income was nearly Double Syria's, more than 4x Yemen's, and 10% higher than Jordan's (one of the better off Arab states). Only the oil-rich Gulf states and Lebanon were more affluent.

Under Israeli rule, the Palestinians also made Vast progress in social welfare. Perhaps most significantly, mortality rates in the West Bank and Gaza fell by more than 2/3s between 1970 and 1990, while life expectancy rose from 48 years in 1967 to 72 in 2000 (compared with an avg of 68 for countries of Middle East/North Africa).
Israeli medical programs reduced the infant-mortality rate of 60 per 1,000 live births in 1968 to 15 per 1,000 in 2000 (in Iraq the rate is 64, in Egypt 40, in Jordan 23, in Syria 22). And under a systematic program of Innoculation, Childhood diseases like polio, whooping cough, tetanus, and measles were eradicated.

No less remarkable were advances in the Palestinians' standard of living.
By 1986, 92.8% of the population in the West Bank and Gaza had electricity around the clock, as compared to 20.5% in 1967;
85% had running water in dwellings, as compared to 16% in 1967;
83.5% had electric or gas ranges for cooking, as compared to 4% in 1967;

and so on for Refrigerators, Televisions, and Cars.

Finally...during the two decades preceding the intifada of the late 1980's, the number of schoolchildren in the territories grew by 102%, and the number of classes by 99%, though the population itself had grown by only 28%.
Even more dramatic was the progress in Higher education. At the time of the Israeli occupation of Gaza and the West Bank, Not a Single University existed in these territories. By the early 1990's, there were Seven such institutions, boasting some 16,500 students.
Illiteracy rates Dropped to 14% of adults over age 15, compared with 69% in Morocco, 61% in Egypt, 45% in Tunisia, and 44% in Syria. ....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom