• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Republicans are trying to strip power from Democratic governors-elect

I’m sorry that there is a naiveté with politics with certain members of this board. Maybe keeping up with crochet and knitting would be more the speed for the pink-hat crew that is without a clue.

Again, It’s amusing that the (D) for dummies and (LL) for the lunatic left whine about political tactics
:lamo

Thanks for playing, it was a pleasure! :thumbs:

I actually DO believe most of the power should rest with the legislature so stripping a governor of power in and of itself doesn’t bother me. But something tells me they will turn around and give the power right back when “their guy” is in the office again.

I guess then you haven't seen the ballot harvesting in California ... still counting.
Both parties had agreed to this "ballot harvesting" deal, but I think they forgot to add a time limit. (grin)
Dems took it to a new level where ballots are still being harvested and "trucked" in and counted.

orange-county-600x329.jpg

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ers-dont-add-up-one-precinct-has-120-turnout/

https://www.americanthinker.com/blo...ed_democrats_to_walk_off_with_california.html

Sooo your issue is that my ballot, handed in on Election Day, should not be counted because that won't happen til afterwards. Conservatives have been screaming voter fraud for years, but the phony panel came up with nothing cause it's a phony snipe hunt issue -- (although the we can't be sure since democrats on the panel were kept in the dark.) Our jails would be full of fraudsters if there were something there. Nevertheless, prosecutors, start your engines, if you dare.

None has explained just how any significant voter fraud would work. Tho I am sure that the Daily Caller, the Gateway Pundit will oblige. Paranoia strikes deep. Not even Trump is claiming things were rigged.

Sooo your issue is that my ballot, handed in on Election Day, should not be counted because that won't happen til afterwards. Conservatives have been screaming voter fraud for years, but the phony panel came up with nothing cause it's a phony snipe hunt issue -- (although the we can't be sure since democrats on the panel were kept in the dark.) Our jails would be full of fraudsters if there were something there. Nevertheless, prosecutors, start your engines, if you dare.

None has explained just how any significant voter fraud would work. Tho I am sure that the Daily Caller, the Gateway Pundit will oblige. Paranoia strikes deep. Not even Trump is claiming things were rigged.

"... Two years ago, California Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law AB1921, which legalized the so-called practice of “ballot harvesting.” Previously, only a family member or someone living in the same household was permitted to drop off mail ballots for a voter, but the new allowed anyone – including political operatives – to collect and return them for a voter. ..."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ba...ion-law-change-to-rout-california-republicans

"Precinct 38083 in Orange County, California had a 120% turnout – 465 registered voters and 561 ballots cast in this precinct." (grin)

"Democrat TJ Cox, who was down by 6.4% on election night in California’s 21st district ended up defeating GOP incumbent David Valadao three weeks later. "

"... Two years ago, California Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law AB1921, which legalized the so-called practice of “ballot harvesting.” Previously, only a family member or someone living in the same household was permitted to drop off mail ballots for a voter, but the new allowed anyone – including political operatives – to collect and return them for a voter. ..."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ba...ion-law-change-to-rout-california-republicans

"Precinct 38083 in Orange County, California had a 120% turnout – 465 registered voters and 561 ballots cast in this precinct." (grin)

"Democrat TJ Cox, who was down by 6.4% on election night in California’s 21st district ended up defeating GOP incumbent David Valadao three weeks later. "

Read the FOX article... nothing to see there... when the GOP spokesperson admits they were out fought and doesn’t claim fraud... still, you could write the president and the GOP and ask them to put together a commission to study this...

Elections have consequences. The Dems got their butts kicked for eight years and must deal with it. If and when they control the legislatures in these states, they can undo the GOP laws and impose their own gerrymandering.

Wrong is wrong no matter who does it. I don't know about you but I am sick and tired of partisan gotcha politics. It has little to do with the people. Gerrymandering is wrong. Voter suppression is wrong. Usurping the power of the governor, secretary of state, attorney general, etc. of the incoming/opposing party is wrong. It is not democratic. It is wrong when Democrats do it and wrong when Republicans do it.

It would be difficult to get me to believe the people of Wisconsin or Michigan voted as they did with the intention of having power and authority taken away from the people they just elected. I know I wouldn't want it. I became an Independent years ago in part because I am damned tired of watching democracy being destroyed by both parties.

I actually DO believe most of the power should rest with the legislature so stripping a governor of power in and of itself doesn’t bother me. But something tells me they will turn around and give the power right back when “their guy” is in the office again.

Precisely. The GOP legislature taketh power, and when circumstances change (an R after a newly elected governor) then that GOP legislature giveth power.

A glaring example of how the GOP sabotages democracy and disrespects the will of the people.

Wrong is wrong no matter who does it. I don't know about you but I am sick and tired of partisan gotcha politics. It has little to do with the people. Gerrymandering is wrong. Voter suppression is wrong. Usurping the power of the governor, secretary of state, attorney general, etc. of the incoming/opposing party is wrong. It is not democratic. It is wrong when Democrats do it and wrong when Republicans do it.

It would be difficult to get me to believe the people of Wisconsin or Michigan voted as they did with the intention of having power and authority taken away from the people they just elected. I know I wouldn't want it. I became an Independent years ago in part because I am damned tired of watching democracy being destroyed by both parties.

True but one of them has to set the example. I'm not sure either will do so.

Precisely. The GOP legislature taketh power, and when circumstances change (an R after a newly elected governor) then that GOP legislature giveth power.

A glaring example of how the GOP sabotages democracy and disrespects the will of the people.

Please. The Dems have been disrespecting the will of the people since Trump was announced the winner on election night.

Please. The Dems have been disrespecting the will of the people since Trump was announced the winner on election night.

A vague and meaningless point. Not vague and meaningless is that Republicans in Wisconsin have subverted the will of the people by stripping powers of the elected officials they've put into office. The peaceful transfer of power is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Republicans in that state have attacked that bedrock with a fury.

Republicans, quite simply, hate Democracy. From gerrygmandering to voter suppression laws to stealing ballots to voter the removal of hundreds of thousands of voters from voter rolls, Republicans have been in an all-out assault on Democracy.

You mean like the butt sore liberals who are trying to thwart the will of the electorate in 2016? That was too easy.:lamo

Actually the will of the electorate was to elect Clinton as she won the largest numbers of votes. I guess you don't read the fine print.

Yes suppressing the votes won an election and gave us the worst president ever. And even with alll of that Hillary got more votes, so don't say that the will of the people is being carried out by th GOP. You want gerrymandering, in Wisco this year the Dem candidates for our assembly got 55% of the votes but only 37% of the seats. Do you think that the GOp will do the will of the people next year or even this year. Look at what they are doing just the last two days. You GOPers are the biggest hypocrites ever.

A vague and meaningless point. Not vague and meaningless is that Republicans in Wisconsin have subverted the will of the people by stripping powers of the elected officials they've put into office. The peaceful transfer of power is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Republicans in that state have attacked that bedrock with a fury.

Republicans, quite simply, hate Democracy. From gerrygmandering to voter suppression laws to stealing ballots to voter the removal of hundreds of thousands of voters from voter rolls, Republicans have been in an all-out assault on Democracy.

You really posting this with a straight face? If the voters of Wisconsin are upset about the GOP activities there, they will stop electing them. I'll leave it in their hands. As for suppressing democracy, Dems invented gerrymandering. They were the masters back when the GOP hardly knew what it was. Then, the GOP finally figures it out and suddenly democracy is threatened. They both do it. Stealing and/or mishandling ballots? Ever heard of Broward and Dade counties? They've made it a science down there. There is also nothing inherently wrong with cleaning up voting rolls. That should be done regularly in all 50 states. Democrats don't like it because they profit from having the most confused and non-tranparent system possible. It's why they oppose cleaning up the rolls and why they oppose ID.

Yes suppressing the votes won an election and gave us the worst president ever. And even with alll of that Hillary got more votes, so don't say that the will of the people is being carried out by th GOP. You want gerrymandering, in Wisco this year the Dem candidates for our assembly got 55% of the votes but only 37% of the seats. Do you think that the GOp will do the will of the people next year or even this year. Look at what they are doing just the last two days. You GOPers are the biggest hypocrites ever.

Suppression!!! Russians!! Look, you lost because you had a crap nominee who couldn't keep up with Trump and people didn't want more Obama policies. That's the hard truth, whether you like it or not.

You really posting this with a straight face? If the voters of Wisconsin are upset about the GOP activities there, they will stop electing them.

They did. That's the point.

Stepping aside for the incoming elected officials is how Democracy works, and Republicans have just attacked that principle by stripping away the powers of the elected officials the people of Wisconsin put into power.

I'll leave it in their hands. As for suppressing democracy, Dems invented gerrymandering. They were the masters back when the GOP hardly knew what it was. Then, the GOP finally figures it out and suddenly democracy is threatened. They both do it. Stealing and/or mishandling ballots? Ever heard of Broward and Dade counties? They've made it a science down there. There is also nothing inherently wrong with cleaning up voting rolls. That should be done regularly in all 50 states. Democrats don't like it because they profit from having the most confused and non-tranparent system possible. It's why they oppose cleaning up the rolls and why they oppose ID.

Are you really defending ballot harvesting? You're a perfect demonstration of my point that Republicans hate Democracy.

They did. That's the point.

Stepping aside for the incoming elected officials is how Democracy works, and Republicans have just attacked that principle by stripping away the powers of the elected officials the people of Wisconsin put into power.

Are you really defending ballot harvesting? You're a perfect demonstration of my point that Republicans hate Democracy.

I defended nothing. I'm pointing out the absurdity of the holier than thou nonsense from Democrats of all people.

Then they'll presumably keep electing Democrats if that makes them happy.

And then you'll defend continued efforts to undermine their Democratic choices. You can't argue in favor of people's electoral choices while also arguing in favor of policies that undermine their electoral choices.

I defended nothing. I'm pointing out the absurdity of the holier than thou nonsense from Democrats of all people.

Yes, you did. You just defended ballot harvesting, voter suppression laws, the peaceful transfer of power, kicking voters off of voter rolls and gerrymandering, and all under some vague notion that someone somewhere did it too. You have no principles and you hate Democracy. This is all about raw power for you.

And then you'll defend continued efforts to undermine their Democratic choices. You can't argue in favor of people's electoral choices while also arguing in favor of policies that undermine their electoral choices.

I nowhere argued in favor of it. I said that when you lose elections, you have to put up with the consequences, good or bad. If you don't like it, stop losing.

Back
Top Bottom