• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Republicans are trying to strip power from Democratic governors-elect

So please explain why CA is doing so well in spite of you...........

They have a growing rich-poor divide. They have large numbers of illegal immigrants using public assistance. They have people leaving to escape excess taxation and regulation. All these things will lead to big problems. It doesn't happen overnight. It comes on incrementally. They have a 19% poverty rate and are our richest state. Why do you think that is?

It's not a disaster when you do it right.

The founders didn't want women to vote, so I really don't give two ****s about their personal opinion on a system that didn't exist in their time.

That's says a lot. No wonder you guys think the Constitution is only a quaint piece of paper. Oh, and the system DID exist. They invented it. Whether women were voting is irrelevant to the way the system operates.

Appeal to authority of those who died 250+ years ago and lived in a completely different time is a pretty weak argument.

No, it's an irrefutable argument since they designed our system of governance. You act like the founders didn't know what a direct democracy was. They did and they found it wanting. If you don't like it, then propose a Constitutional amendment and get 3/4's of the states to agree.

That's says a lot. No wonder you guys think the Constitution is only a quaint piece of paper. Oh, and the system DID exist. They invented it. Whether women were voting is irrelevant to the way the system operates.

Universal healthcare didn't exist at the time/

That's says a lot. No wonder you guys think the Constitution is only a quaint piece of paper.

You Trumptards have said for the past two years that elections have consequences.

And just when such electoral consequences will affect the GOP, they say "piss on the voters" and rearrange the goalposts.

They always have to cheat and bastardize the system to their advantage.

Socialized medicine is a disaster. It's the VA for all. No thanks. Oh, and the popular vote is meaningless if you pile it all up in a couple states. The founders didn't want that type of system so we don't have it.

The founders lived in a time when there was little or no health care. For goodness sake, they bled people. IN this country we pay almost twice as much for health care as any other country in the world. And what do we get for it, over 30 million people with no health insurance and I have read our health care system is ranked something like 37th in the world. Why, because our health care system is not made to provide health care at all. IN fact the object is to provide as little as possible. Our health care system is one big profit center for insurance companies, drug companies and for profit health care providers. and if you wonder how I know, I was part of that system for over 40 years. The only system that is cost effective, is the Medicare system with its extremely low administrative costs. It would be even more cost effective if the GOP would allow it to negotiate for drugs as the VA and all the states do. It would lower drug costs by over 50%.

Just as it is abundantly clear that you aren't "independent"...

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

As with voter-suppression and cockneyed gerrymandering tactics, the GOP can't win without cheating at every level.

It's abundantly obvious that the GOP is the antithesis of a fair and functional democracy.

Yes, it sounds like Democrat. It means the tyranny of the masses.
They hate the very word, democracy. Theocracy and plutocracy can't work if people are allowed to choose their lawmakers. So, here we have the self-anointed ones rigging the system for their ilk.

Oh, I misunderstood! With your Pink ***** hat, I thought you would like being called that.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

As with voter-suppression and cockneyed gerrymandering tactics, the GOP can't win without cheating at every level.

It's abundantly obvious that the GOP is the antithesis of a fair and functional democracy.
Two years now the hypocrites have tried to delegitimize Trump's election, and now they're getting their own medicine. Tough ****!

Sent from Hillary's private email server.

Two years now the hypocrites have tried to delegitimize Trump's election, and now they're getting their own medicine. Tough ****!

Sent from Hillary's private email server.

I guess I do not understand. Who exactly has tried to delegitimize Trump's election? The investigation is trying to determine if the Russian's interfered with our election process and if anyone in the Trump organization cooperated with the Russians. Even if they found that Trump was involved, he would still be the legitimate president until impeached by the house and then tried and found guilty by the Senate. With the GOP controlling the Senate they will never find him guilty so he will continue to be president until he is voted out of office or until he finishes two terms.

That doesn't justify stripping executive power away for purely partisan and petty reasons. The Republicans are showing contempt for democracy just because their guy did not win.

If democrats win the majority in their state then they can reverse it. Although it probably won't happen in the governor is a republican by the time they have a majority in their state.

Democrats did something similar in Massachusetts. Of course they flipped on it later down the road.
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...husetts-legislature-flip-flops-governors-sen/

September 24th, 2009 at 3:44 p.m.

We've never put an entire legislature to the Flip-O-Meter before. But the recent move by the Massachusetts legislature in filling the seat held by the late Sen. Edward Kennedy was too bold to pass up.

Massachusetts legislators this week approved a bill that allows the governor to appoint a temporary successor to Kennedy. But that came just over five years after legislators stripped the governor's longstanding power to appoint a U.S. senator to fill a vacancy. Both moves were consistent in one sense: In the strongly Democratic state, they advanced the Democratic Party's interests. But the two actions amount to a resounding flip-flop.

Last edited:
I guess I do not understand. Who exactly has tried to delegitimize Trump's election? The investigation is trying to determine if the Russian's interfered with our election process and if anyone in the Trump organization cooperated with the Russians. Even if they found that Trump was involved, he would still be the legitimate president until impeached by the house and then tried and found guilty by the Senate. With the GOP controlling the Senate they will never find him guilty so he will continue to be president until he is voted out of office or until he finishes two terms.

If you believe all this, I have land in Florida to sell you. It'll be awesome once I drain the water.

If you believe all this, I have land in Florida to sell you. It'll be awesome once I drain the water.

Well that was a nice reply, but it gave no facts as to how someone could delegitimize Trump as president until he is impeached or voted out of office. And as far as draining the land, you better have a big pump as Florida is beginning to sink under the ocean as sea levels rise due to climate change.

You Trumptards have said for the past two years that elections have consequences.

And just when such electoral consequences will affect the GOP, they say "piss on the voters" and rearrange the goalposts.

They always have to cheat and bastardize the system to their advantage.

Laughable nonsense. Stop making excuses for your losses. You either have something the voters want or you don't.

The founders lived in a time when there was little or no health care. For goodness sake, they bled people. IN this country we pay almost twice as much for health care as any other country in the world. And what do we get for it, over 30 million people with no health insurance and I have read our health care system is ranked something like 37th in the world. Why, because our health care system is not made to provide health care at all. IN fact the object is to provide as little as possible. Our health care system is one big profit center for insurance companies, drug companies and for profit health care providers. and if you wonder how I know, I was part of that system for over 40 years. The only system that is cost effective, is the Medicare system with its extremely low administrative costs. It would be even more cost effective if the GOP would allow it to negotiate for drugs as the VA and all the states do. It would lower drug costs by over 50%.

Heaven forbid that insurance companies, drug companies, physicians and health care providers would make a profit. If you want poor quality products and care, erase the incentive to provide something good. Sort of like those Soviet made cars we used to laugh at. Why people have faith in government to run healthcare when they screw up everything they touch, is quite puzzling.

Laughable nonsense. Stop making excuses for your losses. You either have something the voters want or you don't.

Obviously, Wisconsin voters wanted nothing more to do with all the GOP bums they voted out of office.

But the GOP anti-democracy party wants to flip one more middle finger at Wisconsinites.

I wouldn't know a self-anointed one (beyond Hillary, of course), so no, who whomever they are. And her supporters are the ones screaming the loudest about the EC stealing the election from the masses. Sorry, your 'tyranny of the masses' is by-passed by the Constitution.
You've been trained to simply submit to the self-anointed ones, I see.

Oh, boy...

I wouldn't know a self-anointed one (beyond Hillary, of course), so no, who whomever they are. And her supporters are the ones screaming the loudest about the EC stealing the election from the masses. Sorry, your 'tyranny of the masses' is by-passed by the Constitution.

Seems you're stuck in a two-year old fake news loop. Check this out : Hillary lost. I want her to stay lost, as do most folks.

You aren't exactly following the thread, are you?:2wave:

Back
Top Bottom