• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Democrats to pass plan to reopen government Thursday

Yep, the demorats who insisted that they were for better (as in increased?) border security are offering a "compromise" that offers absolutely no increase in border security whatsoever. Who ever saw that coming?

If Trump shuts down the government and gets what he wants, then he'll get everything he wants by shutting down the government every time a spending bill is due. Hell, he could even demand that the House back off from any oversight actions in return for signing a spending bill.

This isn't that hard to figure out.

If Trump shuts down the government and gets what he wants, then he'll get everything he wants by shutting down the government every time a spending bill is due. Hell, he could even demand that the House back off from any oversight actions in return for signing a spending bill.

This isn't that hard to figure out.

He will only get what republicants in congress agree to - by not having (letting) them vote at all, McConnell is letting Trump play him like a puppet.

He will only get what republicants in congress agree to - by not having (letting) them vote at all, McConnell is letting Trump play him like a puppet.

That makes no sense. If he refuses to vote on a spending bill unless he gets what he wants (like, say, agreeing not to look into his tax returns or investigate his cabinet officials for corruption), and Democrats relent, then that's it: the House officially becomes a lesser branch of government. While you may not see this or are just pretending not to see this, believe me when I say that Pelosi (and everybody else) is 100% cognizant of this.

That makes no sense. If he refuses to vote on a spending bill unless he gets what he wants (like, say, agreeing not to look into his tax returns or investigate his cabinet officials for corruption), and Democrats relent, then that's it: the House officially becomes a lesser branch of government. While you may not see this or are just pretending not to see this, believe me when I say that Pelosi (and everybody else) is 100% cognizant of this.

That is a very big "if" and congressional oversight/investigation requires no bill be passed to do it. This moronic battle is over budget "crumbs" simply to deny letting Trump have a "demonstration project" of a few miles of the Great Wall Of Trump to let him lie and say that it fixed the border security situation. What the demorats should do is to add their own, far better and less expensive, competing higher tech border security "demonstration project" and then to document and compare the results of the two options.

That is a very big "if" and congressional oversight/investigation requires no bill be passed to do it. This moronic battle is over budget "crumbs" simply to deny letting Trump have a "demonstration project" of a few miles of the Great Wall Of Trump to let him lie that it fixed the border security situation. What the demorats should do is to add their own, far better and less expensive, competing higher tech "demonstration project" and then to document and compare the results of the two options.

The wall is merely one goal Trump can get in return for holding a spending bill hostage. There is literally no rationale for arguing that he couldn't use the same tactic successfully for future goals. I can't figure out if you're unable to grasp this simple point or if you're just pretending to not grasp it.

And what campaign promise is that? That Mexico will pay for the wall? I mean, that is what he promised.

Democrats are certainly not preventing him from fulfilling that huge campaign promise.

But Mexico is. :lol:

View attachment 67247214
To be fair, this whole thing rests on the shoulders of the entire GOP, not just Trump.

Republicans knew that to accomplish their goals they would need nine Democratic votes, which meant they'd have to offer some trades to get them. There were already three Democratic senators in red states that would have gone along with it to try to keep their seats, so that meant that really only six hard-blue Dems would need to be persuaded. :doh

Instead, they plaid hardball and rejected a DACA for a $25 billion deal, and now they're left begging for scraps.

Dumbasses.

The wall is merely one goal Trump can get in return for holding a spending bill hostage. There is literally no rationale for arguing that he couldn't use the same tactic successfully for future goals. I can't figure out if you're unable to grasp this simple point or if you're just pretending to not grasp it.
Um, Republicans have been purposely shutting down/threatening shutdown the government twenty years to extort Democrats, and for the most part it's worked. This has been an RNC tactic for years.

It's why I'm not 100% confident Pelosi and Schumer won't suddenly cave at the last minute, even with all the leverage they have.

Um, Republicans have been purposely shutting down/threatening shutdown the government twenty years to extort Democrats, and for the most part it's worked. This has been an RNC tactic for years.

It's why I'm not 100% confident Pelosi and Schumer won't suddenly cave at the last minute, even with all the leverage they have.

I would argue that the prospect of Trump using this tactic is disturbing enough that it may finally snap them awake. Of course, we shall see.

Indeed. Why would Pelosi et. al. neuter themselves after 8 years of being the House minority party? Rhetorical question.

If Trump shuts down the government and gets what he wants, then he'll get everything he wants by shutting down the government every time a spending bill is due. Hell, he could even demand that the House back off from any oversight actions in return for signing a spending bill. This isn't that hard to figure out.

Nope. it's called extortion.

Indeed. Why would Pelosi et. al. neuter themselves after 8 years of being the House minority party? Rhetorical question.
I'll tell you why, because Democrats don't have the guts to tough these shutdowns out like Republicans do.

It's clear that with idiots like Crypt Keeper Coulter and Lindsey Graham in Trump's ear, this shutdown will go on for weeks more.

Dems have been forced to "give in" for 2 years. The days of GOP secret Congressional meetings and ramming legislation through without members even having enough time to read it is gone.

Elections have consequences. That's what I've been told from November 2016 to November 2018. Starting today there is a check on GOP/Trump power.

Basically back to gridlock and fighting and getting nothing done except spending tax payer money at ungodly rates. This is the exact mirror image of the midterms in 2010. 2 years of shoving through crazy legislation, opponents campaign on making sure nothing moves forward the next two years, they get a branch back and guess what will happen now. That's right. Nothing.

You are simply going around in circles. The demorats will not submit an alternate increased border security plan (bill or amendment) because the gov't is shut down. Of course, once that shutdown is resolved, by republicants caving and accepting a kick the can down the road CR, there is no longer pressure to do so.

I am open to negotiations, but not when hostages are involved. People who take hostages can go **** themselves.

Geezus. Look it up.

Sensors, drones, full length lighting, video cams, FLIR, more border agents, more SUVs, choppers, planes, motorcycles, ATV's riverine boats, horses, better CBP facilities, more medics, streamline Ports of Entry, more funding for the Coast Guard since the CG interdicts most drug shipments, etc.

Republicans don't actually want border security, though. They want the club of border security talking points.

Boom... right out of the gates on day one. But as a trumper noted the other day... Pelosi was in Hawai'i eating food so she doesn't care enough about trump's government shutdown.

House Democratic leaders have settled on a legislative strategy to reopen the government, with votes expected on proposals just hours after the party takes control on Thursday, a Democratic aide confirms to CNN.

The Democrats plan to vote on a bipartisan package of six Senate spending bills and a stopgap measure to re-open the Department of Homeland Security at its current funding levels until February 8, the aide said. The temporary measure would maintain the current $1.3 billion in border security money, which can be used for fencing and repairs of current barriers.​

The House is passing the bills as I write this. The asshole in the WH says he won't sign them. McConnell says he won't allow another vote on bills that the Senate already passed. Welcome to the next two years, everyone.

Boom... right out of the gates on day one. But as a trumper noted the other day... Pelosi was in Hawai'i eating food so she doesn't care enough about trump's government shutdown.

House Democratic leaders have settled on a legislative strategy to reopen the government, with votes expected on proposals just hours after the party takes control on Thursday, a Democratic aide confirms to CNN.

The Democrats plan to vote on a bipartisan package of six Senate spending bills and a stopgap measure to re-open the Department of Homeland Security at its current funding levels until February 8, the aide said. The temporary measure would maintain the current $1.3 billion in border security money, which can be used for fencing and repairs of current barriers.​

... and straight into Trump's wall ... :lol:

Yep, the demorats who insisted that they were for better (as in increased?) border security are offering a "compromise" that offers absolutely no increase in border security whatsoever. Who ever saw that coming?

They want a carve out for the wall and then will provide border security funding. I bet Trump's advisors want that DACA deal back on the table.

Why won't the democrat's appropriate 5 billion for border security?

They are playing with the border security of our nation.
It's real easy 5 billion and there could be a deal.

They'll appropriate $5B. They just won't let it be used on the wall. They offered money for the wall in the past. Trump refused multiple compromises. He gambled and lost the House. Now all Americans lose.

Very simple; because they don't want Trump to have a chance in hell of getting re-elected and doing their level best to prevent him from fulfilling a huge campaign promise will go a long way to hurting his chances in 2020.
That, and Dems don't want to stanch the flow of new dem voters coming across our southern border.

Please provide a source for "the flow of new dem voters coming across our southern border."

Great! Congratulations! DOA at the Senate...But, first show bill in the books...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That is a very big "if" and congressional oversight/investigation requires no bill be passed to do it. This moronic battle is over budget "crumbs" simply to deny letting Trump have a "demonstration project" of a few miles of the Great Wall Of Trump to let him lie and say that it fixed the border security situation. What the demorats should do is to add their own, far better and less expensive, competing higher tech border security "demonstration project" and then to document and compare the results of the two options.

I think that's a very good idea. This whole shutdown is a race to the bottom for everyone involved.

Great! Congratulations! DOA at the Senate...But, first show bill in the books...

Not recorded yet on this site but find it yourself. It's one of the twenty bills put forth today by the 116th congress.

https://www.congress.gov/search?q={"source":"legislation"}

Until it's reported on the congress' own website... you'll have to soothe yourself with the stories that covered it:

House passes bills to reopen government

Congress' 116th House of Representatives voted on and passed two bills that would reopen the government without border wall funding Thursday.

The House voted 241-190. Seven Republicans voted in favor of the bill.​

Why is it DOA at the Senate when they already supported this just a few months ago?

Back
Top Bottom