• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Democrats to pass plan to reopen government Thursday

Wow! $300K more than the normal annual border security appropriation which we all know did not accomplish securing the border. That ought to git-r-done for sure. Of course, the new Pelosi backed CR is back to $1.3B so even the token gesture of $300K of increased border security funding is now being removed. Trump and the republicants in the Senate are sure to go for that 'deal'.

You wall humpers need to get on netflix and binge watch the latest Narcos on Mexico. Then find the excellent Mexican series called "El Chapo". Come on back when you learn more about the border.

This isn't a compromise, it's reopening the government so we stop hurting people while further negotiations occur.

Seems negotiations don't happen without crisis.

Why won't the democrat's appropriate 5 billion for border security?

They are playing with the border security of our nation.
It's real easy 5 billion and there could be a deal.

Very simple; because they don't want Trump to have a chance in hell of getting re-elected and doing their level best to prevent him from fulfilling a huge campaign promise will go a long way to hurting his chances in 2020.
That, and Dems don't want to stanch the flow of new dem voters coming across our southern border.

Wow! $300K more than the normal annual border security appropriation which we all know did not accomplish securing the border. That ought to git-r-done for sure. Of course, the new Pelosi backed CR is back to $1.3B so even the token gesture of $300K of increased border security funding is now being removed. Trump and the republicants in the Senate are sure to go for that 'deal'.

The Senate, the House, and Trump agreed to this on December 18th. It passed the Senate 100-0. Meadows/Jordan/Limbaugh/Coulter then bitched before the House voted.

That's where we are now.

Trump isn't getting $5 billion for his wall. The American people don't want it, and the Dems won 40 House seats on this platform.

Most Americans don't support building the wall

69% of Americans Don’t Think Trump's Border Wall Is a Priority, Poll Says

Poll: Majorities oppose Trump's wall funding demand

Very simple; because they don't want Trump to have a chance in hell of getting re-elected and doing their level best to prevent him from fulfilling a huge campaign promise will go a long way to hurting his chances in 2020.
That, and Dems don't want to stanch the flow of new dem voters coming across our southern border.

And what campaign promise is that? That Mexico will pay for the wall? I mean, that is what he promised.

Democrats are certainly not preventing him from fulfilling that huge campaign promise.

But Mexico is. :lol:

1_HZ1sVABBjyYWiuRUV1uT9g.jpg

Trump’s Shutdown Is Not About Border Security

It's about Trump keeping a campaign meme he knew was an outright lie (Mexico will pay) when he stated it 92 times on the campaign trail.

It's also about distracting Americans from Hush money, Russia collusion, Mattis resigning in protest, other resigned Cabinet members under investigation for corruption, Mueller, Cohen, SDNY Individual-1, etc.

When asked about federal workers perhaps missing their paychecks for an extended period, Trump basically said he doesn't care. His wall is more important.

Those "negotiations" were due before the start of the fiscal year. Kicking the can down the road until February 8 is moving (avoifing?) the problem - not resolving it. As I said before, the demorats have assured us, for months, that they were for better (imporved or increased?) border security - why not present their plan now? I suspect that the reality of the matter is that there never was any such intent and therfore no plan for it ever existed or is "coming soon" after February 8.

Because the government is currently shut down.

Republicans aren't interested in negotiating over real border security. They have dupes to rile up.

My question was, what are they offering in the way of a compromise? Sticking with trump’s demand is not compromise. Trump’s fans are, essentially, demanding that Dems capitulate and give him everything he demands without getting anything in return.

They're offering to allow the government to open again.

Duh!

Trump has painted himself into a political corner. It's not the Democrats job to extricate him.

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you (Democrats) for it.”

The Senate, the House, and Trump agreed to this on December 18th. It passed the Senate 100-0. Meadows/Jordan/Limbaugh/Coulter then bitched before the House voted.

That's where we are now.

Trump isn't getting $5 billion for his wall. The American people don't want it, and the Dems won 40 House seats on this platform.

Most Americans don't support building the wall

69% of Americans Don’t Think Trump's Border Wall Is a Priority, Poll Says

Poll: Majorities oppose Trump's wall funding demand

I completely get what the demorats do not want - I want is to see their plan (in the form of a House or Senate bill/amendment) for increased border security which they constantly assert that they are solidly for. The demorats, so far, have been mum on what they do want for increased border security - that just might be taken as a sign that they are liars and simply wish to keep things as they are.

They are approrating 2.8 billion dollars for it, money, btw, that was not spent by the Trump admin for it last year. The wall would be entirely ineffective.

Personally, I don't support the wall, but at this point, I'd rather see the dems give in and gear up for a big 2 year battle than start playing games on day 1.

Dems have been forced to "give in" for 2 years. The days of GOP secret Congressional meetings and ramming legislation through without members even having enough time to read it is gone.

Elections have consequences. That's what I've been told from November 2016 to November 2018. Starting today there is a check on GOP/Trump power.

I see it as a complete lie that demorats were, are or ever will be for better border security - if the can is kicked down the road a bit farther (the 'budget bills are 4 months late already) then it lessens (removes?) the pressure to "negotiate". Pelosi has already promised absolutely no "wall" funding ever - to kid yourself into thinking that was mere posturing is ridiculous.

Realistically, the "bait" that draws and motivates the immigrants is State Welfare. If they had to depend on their cousins and friends already here the whole fiasco would ragain some normalcy. It's not the wall that will stop them, but removing the "bait."
/

Because the government is currently shut down.

Republicans aren't interested in negotiating over real border security. They have dupes to rile up.

You are simply going around in circles. The demorats will not submit an alternate increased border security plan (bill or amendment) because the gov't is shut down. Of course, once that shutdown is resolved, by republicants caving and accepting a kick the can down the road CR, there is no longer pressure to do so.

I completely get what the demorats do not want - I want is to see their plan (in the form of a House or Senate bill/amendment) for increased border security which they constantly assert that they are solidly for. The demorats, so far, have been mum on what they do want for increased border security - that just might be taken as a sign that they are liars and simply wish to keep things as they are.

Geezus. Look it up.

Sensors, drones, full length lighting, video cams, FLIR, more border agents, more SUVs, choppers, planes, motorcycles, ATV's riverine boats, horses, better CBP facilities, more medics, streamline Ports of Entry, more funding for the Coast Guard since the CG interdicts most drug shipments, etc.

Realistically, the "bait" that draws and motivates the immigrants is State Welfare. If they had to depend on their cousins and friends already here the whole fiasco would ragain some normalcy. It's not the wall that will stop them, but removing the "bait."
/

That "safety net" bait is more available to their offspring due to instant birthright citizenship, although simply living where the roads are paved and toilets flush is a draw. The primary bait is employment which pays as much for one day of work as one week of work pays in their homelands.

Boom... right out of the gates on day one. But as a trumper noted the other day... Pelosi was in Hawai'i eating food so she doesn't care enough about trump's government shutdown.

House Democrats to pass plan to reopen government Thursday

House Democratic leaders have settled on a legislative strategy to reopen the government, with votes expected on proposals just hours after the party takes control on Thursday, a Democratic aide confirms to CNN.

The Democrats plan to vote on a bipartisan package of six Senate spending bills and a stopgap measure to re-open the Department of Homeland Security at its current funding levels until February 8, the aide said. The temporary measure would maintain the current $1.3 billion in border security money, which can be used for fencing and repairs of current barriers.​

Yeah, this is reopening the gov, but 1) it doesn't address the actual issue of budgeting and 2) it assumes that the Senate and the President will go along with it.

Yawn.

Geezus. Look it up.

Sensors, drones, full length lighting, video cams, FLIR, more border agents, more SUVs, choppers, planes, motorcycles, ATV's riverine boats, horses, better CBP facilities, more medics, streamline Ports of Entry, more funding for the Coast Guard since the CG interdicts most drug shipments, etc.

OK - now cite the actual demorat bill which funds those improvements instead of repeating meaningless talking points. I know the demorats say that they are for increased border security.

The 116th House of Representatives has now been sworn in.

1) Elect the Speaker of the House.

2) Vote on two government funding bills (6 CRs/DHS) that are already drawn up.

OK - now cite the actual demorat bill which funds those improvements instead of repeating meaningless talking points. I know the demorats say that they are for increased border security.

Do your own gosh darn homework lol.

Geezus. Look it up.

More confusing factual information, if we don't watch it, the Trumpers are going to become educated and knowledgeable.

And were is the research proving that the wall will do as Trump claimed ? Five billion of tax payers money for a construction project were no studies or research has been accomplished. No way !!

Back
Top Bottom