• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun safety instructor accidently shoots student in school.

didnt try and hide my agenda but just incase.

Hi my name is higgins and I think guns in Schools are really stupid.

Schools? This was a safety class FOR firearms. Had nothing to do with "schools."

I don't have an agenda. But I personally think this is special. Firearm instructors are not supposed to make mistakes like this. First, the gun was loaded with at least one round. Secondly, he dry fired it on purpose (he apparently thought it was a dry fire). Other articles make it clear the bullet ricocheted off a desk and hit the victim in the arm. So that's two very stupid mistakes. #1 It was a loaded gun; #2 He fired it in an unsafe area.

His class should no longer be recognized by the State of Ohio as qualifying for concealed carry instruction. He's a ****ing idiot.

Exactly.
No one is SUPPOSED to make these kinds of mistakes. thats why they are called "mistakes". But...no doubt...there was no excuse for not ensuring a cleared weapon and there is never an excuse for pulling the trigger of a weapon not pointed in a safe and/or intentional manner.
The article said the gun "went off." Thats the ms foolish part of the article. Guns dont "go off" without an assist.

Are you kidding me? How do you teach gun safety without using a gun? I will admit that you don't need a loaded gun in the classroom, and even at the range one should not point it in an unsafe direction, but you do realize that this was a gun course - do you not? ;)

That's not ironic. The teen probably required a beating.

Who said anything about ironic? Ya can't swing a dead cat in here and not hit an agenda, but it seems only the ones that rub up wrong against your agenda get a comment. Everything from politician says this to actor has a melt down... :peace

Who said anything about ironic? Ya can't swing a dead cat in here and not hit an agenda, but it seems only the ones that rub up wrong against your agenda get a comment. Everything from politician says this to actor has a melt down... :peace

First, what does the bold part mean?

Second, what point, debate or position could you derrive or support based on the article? None. That's why it's not a debate, it's just anecdotal political hysterics. This is not "politicalhysterics.com", please read the sign on the door the next time you come in here... :peace

The sign on the door says debate and there is nothing to debate in the OP. It's political hysterics. Honestly, are we to ban an item or education because an instructor was reckless? Obviously not.

Now your just making crap up. Who said anything about banning anything in the OP? Please quote it.

Now we can discuss many things about this, like more involved testing and renewal of 'instructor' permits with ongoing education and refresher classes.

Teachers of third grade math have to refresh and continue their education, LE has to as well. Shirley you can see a benefit to having Instructors in the use of deadly force taking refresher courses to stay sharp when pointing firearms around while teaching 'safety'? And test every few years to make sure their edge isn't rusting.

There was an AP from Altus AFB who brought two buddies that all were going to a long range tactical course in Little Rock to our range to get a bit of practice in before attending the Gubmint school. The leader of the pack took out course 3 years ago. He practiced a lot but without refreshers his 'remembery' of the procedures, techniques and dialogue morphed into something fairly unrecognizable as anything we teach.

There, we have a topic to debate... :peace

For some reason I was ignorantly assuming the person who was shot died for some reason and I was going to say "That's one hell of an expensive lesson" but then I decided to be smart and actually read the article before I responded (novel idea, right?).

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head, though. It's ironically humorous that this safety instructor demonstrated the importance of gun safety to this class by apparently ignoring the first, second, and third rules of gun safety. (Those rules being, in no particular order: Not being aware of the gun being loaded, pointing the gun in someone else's direction without having the intent to shoot them, and having his finger on the trigger when he had no intention to shoot something).

The guy was obviously a terrible gun safety instructor., but that doesn't change the fact that a gun safety course is an extremely valuable thing for those who wish to become responsible gun owners.

Edited to add: Apparently he didn't actually point it at the guy, it was a ricochet, so he's not the worst ever.
Richocets can be worse honestly, they aren't "on line" like a laterally fired bullet would be. I knew a few officers who lost colleagues(due to termination, not death) because they screwed around at the range instead of carefully placing shots and created richochets off concrete at the range. Those officers ended up being banned from the range and thus couldn't be expected to qualify, that pretty much ended their careers right there. This instructor though should be forced to retire, he broke every single rule in the book, including "don't point at what you don't want to shoot", thankfully he didn't draw lateral on the kid, and even more lucky is that the richocet didn't hit in a worse area than the arm.

First, what does the bold part mean?

Second, what point, debate or position could you derrive or support based on the article? None. That's why it's not a debate, it's just anecdotal political hysterics. This is not "politicalhysterics.com", please read the sign on the door the next time you come in here... :peace

the bold part are examples of crap drug in here that are not debates but a chance for cons to roll around on the liberal agenda and how unfair one guy is treated for calling someone a racial name and another is let off for slurring a gay man. Oh the fun the Cons have wailing how unfair life is for them. :roll:

I have already pointed out one debate point we can have... face it, you just knee jerk made crap up about banning and ran the usual Con lament without thinking.

There is far more to debate on this topic than Anthony's wiener or Baldwin's meltdown... but as i noted no post into those like this one... you don't want debate, you want to protect your agenda... there is a difference... :peace

No one is SUPPOSED to make these kinds of mistakes. thats why they are called "mistakes". But...no doubt...there was no excuse for not ensuring a cleared weapon and there is never an excuse for pulling the trigger of a weapon not pointed in a safe and/or intentional manner.
The article said the gun "went off." Thats the ms foolish part of the article. Guns dont "go off" without an assist.

Modern, properly functioning ones don't, that's for sure. There was a Savage model shotgun that had a bad habit of misfiring, but I don't remember the exact gun.

...he broke every single rule in the book, including "don't point at what you don't want to shoot"...

When I was 12, my old man (who almost never used corporal punishment with us) gave me one hell of a whoopin' for absent-mindedly pointing a double barrel shotgun that could not have possibly been loaded (since I had just shot it twice at some skeet) somewhere other than down range.

When I was 12, my old man (who almost never used corporal punishment with us) gave me one hell of a whoopin' for absent-mindedly pointing a double barrel shotgun that could not have possibly been loaded (since I had just shot it twice at some skeet) somewhere other than down range.
My dad never hit me for something like that, but his voice went into triple decible points when I was younger and tried an empty aim. He knew the rifle wasn't loaded but that wasn't the point, it was getting me into the habit of never pointing a weapon in an unsafe manner under any circumstances.

My dad never hit me for something like that, but his voice went into triple decible points when I was younger and tried an empty aim. He knew the rifle wasn't loaded but that wasn't the point, it was getting me into the habit of never pointing a weapon in an unsafe manner under any circumstances.

In my old man's defense, when I turned around with the gun, it ended up pointed at my older brother. That's a whoopin' offense.

In my old man's defense, when I turned around with the gun, it ended up pointed at my older brother. That's a whoopin' offense.
Yeah, it's critical that people know safety, even kids if they are to have weapon in their hands, to the point that it should be automatic. My dad has a booming voice though, that was enough to make the point, especially when I was a kid, LOL!

Yeah, it's critical that people know safety, even kids if they are to have weapon in their hands, to the point that it should be automatic. My dad has a booming voice though, that was enough to make the point, especially when I was a kid, LOL!

My old man had a booming voice, too, but he usually just gave us a look and we fell in line instantly.

Having him actually lose his cool enough to hit me actually taught me the lesson even better than a lecture or a look would have, though. He never lost his cool with us. Seeing my dad that freaked out put the fear of god into me more than anything else and since then I've had a healthy respect for the danger that guns pose if treated improperly.

My old man had a booming voice, too, but he usually just gave us a look and we fell in line instantly.

Having him actually lose his cool enough to hit me actually taught me the lesson even better than a lecture or a look would have, though. He never lost his cool with us. Seeing my dad that freaked out put the fear of god into me more than anything else and since then I've had a healthy respect for the danger that guns pose if treated improperly.
Same with my dad, mine is always cool and collected. It pretty much cemented into my young head that "Dad is serious, must be important".

:doh

In what school did this incident occur? :3oops:

I'd like to know what the hell he was doing that caused him to accidentally fire a revolver.

i am guessing he pulled the trigger
but that is just a guess

It was a concealed weapons class, not a "school".
Instructor needs at the bare minimum to be recertified and/or possibly charged.
I have no sympathy for "accidental" shootings because with a gun there area no accidents.
I didnt see what type of gun it was, assuming a revolver given the .38 cal. Very few .38 cal semi autos.
How you screw up with a revolver is beyond me.

It was a concealed weapons class, not a "school".
Instructor needs at the bare minimum to be recertified and/or possibly charged.
I have no sympathy for "accidental" shootings because with a gun there area no accidents.
I didnt see what type of gun it was, assuming a revolver given the .38 cal. Very few .38 cal semi autos.
How you screw up with a revolver is beyond me.

He won't get charged.

I'd like to know what the hell he was doing that caused him to accidentally fire a revolver.
The article said he was presenting it and "dry firing". Can't believe he didn't check the chamber, at least in that scenario. It's not unheard of to have a negligent discharge once, but the more chance of injury the more important to go back to the fundamental rules.

And what kind of idiot pulls the trigger on a pistol without checking to see if it's loaded?
I have had one ND in my life, but that's because the last thing I remembered was dechambering, unfortunately I forgot that I did in fact rack a round. I made sure at least to have the firearm in "safe" position so there was no chance for injury but I was going for a dry fire check of the internals after cleaning and oiling it. It was incredibly embarrasing but it was just me and at least no one got hurt. Had I been in the company of others you can damn well believe I would have triple checked everything.

I learned a hard lesson that day, never go on blind memory.

Back
Top Bottom