• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun safety instructor accidently shoots student in school.

Nice. I can't imagine why that would hurt his employment chances. I'm guessing the guy who was running the Deepwater Horizon had his employment chances hurt as well.

Judge Bounces Lawsuit Filed By DEA Agent Who Shot Self In Leg During Gun Demo | The Smoking Gun
The best part about the video (other than the part where just before he shoots himself he says "I am the only one I know qualified to do this") was after the smoke had cleared he went on to demo the AR style weapon. The kids and teachers responses were awesome!

Interestingly enough, I've been concerned about taking a CCW class because of how many n00bs will be around me with firearms. I'm waiting until after September first when the class time will be reduced from 10 hours down to 4 hours. I can't imagine being around a group of people that are tired from being in a 10 hour class while shooting weapons.

I wish that I could just clep out, pay my money, and get my license.
There are better courses you can go to that offer advanced training and qualify for the CCW permit requirements. More money but you would probably actually get something out of it and be around better/more qualified shooters.

Actually accidents with guns do happen. Ask Cheney.

That was negligence. If you dont know where your hunting partners are, you dont fire.
The whole term, "hunting accident" is wrong.
Down here we just recently had a woman shoot herself in the gut by forgetting she had a round in the chamber and laid a gun down with the barrel pointing towards herself.
Round didnt get there by itself, and safety was not off by itself, gun didnt point it self.
She left a round in the chamber, she laid the gun down in the back of the truck, she left the safety off, she let the muzzle point towards her.
Her fault she is dead.

That was negligence. If you dont know where your hunting partners are, you dont fire.
The whole term, "hunting accident" is wrong.
Down here we just recently had a woman shoot herself in the gut by forgetting she had a round in the chamber and laid a gun down with the barrel pointing towards herself.
Round didnt get there by itself, and safety was not off by itself, gun didnt point it self.
She left a round in the chamber, she laid the gun down in the back of the truck, she left the safety off, she let the muzzle point towards her.
Her fault she is dead.

Negligence is the cause of many accidents.

There are better courses you can go to that offer advanced training and qualify for the CCW permit requirements. More money but you would probably actually get something out of it and be around better/more qualified shooters.

That's something worth looking into. Thanks VanceMack!

Accidents imply that there was no human error.

No, it implies the consequences were unintentional. Lots, if not most, accidents are.caused by some form of human error.

No, it implies the consequences were unintentional. Lots, if not most, accidents are.caused by some form of human error.
Negligence also has unintentional consequences.
But if you boil it all the way down. Some body did something to make what happen, happen.
If the gun was just laying there and went off with no one touching it. Thats an accident, as long as the gun was in perfect working order.
Someone didnt practice proper muzzle and trigger control.

Accidents imply that there was no human error.

No, they simply imply no intent of harm. Nearly all accidents are the result of some degree of neglegence; just as luck is defined as when opportunity meets preparedness. ;)

No, they simply imply no intent of harm. Nearly all accidents are the result of some degree of neglegence; just as luck is defined as when opportunity meets preparedness. ;)

A gun going off and winning the lottery are not the same.
Guns go off from human interaction.
Luck of the draw just takes buying a ticket for the preparedness part.
As long as we keep calling them "accidents" people will never take them as seriously as they should.

A gun going off and winning the lottery are not the same.
Guns go off from human interaction.
Luck of the draw just takes buying a ticket for the preparedness part.
As long as we keep calling them "accidents" people will never take them as seriously as they should.

I agree competely, especially with auto "accidents"; even if you are of exactly median intellect then half of the folks that you share the roadways with are dumber than you are. ;)

Get out. Got no sense of ha-ha?
It's funny, godammit. Untwist your panties.

I get the irony. I really don't need your assistance on that. What I don't get is how this story means anything regarding gun control. There's nothing to debate on the subject based on an anecdote about a moron. Attempting to make something bigger of this is BS. Untwist your hat and think about my point.

I get the irony. I really don't need your assistance on that. What I don't get is how this story means anything regarding gun control. There's nothing to debate on the subject based on an anecdote about a moron. Attempting to make something bigger of this is BS. Untwist your hat and think about my point.

Who said anything about gun control? Before post #4, I mean.

It gets worse for this clown instructor.

What a total moron.

Accidental shooting was not first for firearms instructor | The Columbus Dispatch

Cathy Schmelzer couldn’t believe it when she read in the newspaper that Terry J. Dunlap Sr. — a firearms instructor — had accidentally shot someone.

“Oh no, he’s done it again!” she said she thought to herself. Schmelzer, 50, was Cathy Hessler, a 14-year-old Pickerington girl, when she was accidentally shot in 1977 by Dunlap during a Halloween hayride.

At the time, Dunlap was a Pickerington police department auxiliary lieutenant. According to a Dispatch account back then, Dunlap said he had fired his .38-caliber handgun into the air to create, in his words, a “scary effect” while taking his daughter and her friends for a “haunted hayride” on his rural property in Fairfield County.

Dunlap said he thought the gun was loaded with blanks. But a bullet ricocheted and hit Cathy Hessler in her right leg. The bullet was removed at Mount Carmel East hospital.

No criminal or departmental actions were taken against Dunlap because the shooting was deemed accidental.

After making a mistake like that, I can't understand how he got a job teaching firearm safety.
My thoughts exactly. I know I wouldn't go to an instructor with one accidental discharge with injury, I'd be afraid to be number 2, and with guys like this.............for good reason. :doh

Back
Top Bottom