• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

For Those Who Call Yourselves by His Name

It doesn't. Read the verse above. It doesn't say embrace evil. It says pray for those in authority. You're also double-whammied with Matthew 5:44.

I always enjoy bible quotes from those who say they don't follow them.

Here's yours, for those less scholarly than we:

But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

I guess I'm gonna burn.

Luckily for me, BO and I are the same age, so I'll have the pleasure of watching his sorry ass aflame beside me.

Last edited:
I always enjoy bible quotes from those who say they don't follow them.

Here's yours, for those less scholarly than we:

I guess I'm gonna burn.

Luckily fo me, BO and I are the same age, so I'll have the pleasure of watching his sorry ass aflame beside me.

The verse you quoted was the one I was referencing.

I don't believe he'll burn. He seems to be a firm believer in John 3:16.

Which brings me to another point, and I'm not the first to point it out on this board. How very unchristian is it to want to see someone burning in hell for all eternity. That mindset flies in the face of the fact that we are commanded to love our neighbor as ourselves, and as Christ loved the church.

But you knew that.

Which brings me to another point, and I'm not the first to point it out on this board. How very unchristian is it to want to see someone burning in hell for all eternity. That mindset flies in the face of the fact that we are commanded to love our neighbor as ourselves, and as Christ loved the church.

But you knew that.

Haven't you walked away from all that Christian fluff?

Why do you demand others follow it when you have decided it's crap?

Haven't you walked away from all that Christian fluff?

Why do you demand others follow it when you have decided it's crap?

It's not fluff.

And I'm questioning the duplicity of - well, like I said up there. "Straining at gnats, and swallowing camels."

The verse you quoted was the one I was referencing.

I don't believe he'll burn. He seems to be a firm believer in John 3:16.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Yes, I get that impression Gad Damn! strongly

It's not fluff.

And I'm questioning the duplicity of - well, like I said up there. "Straining at gnats, and swallowing camels."

I must have missed the "gnats" and "camels", what with all the bull**** I've been wiping off my screen.

Seven Woes on the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees *Matthew 23:13-39

13 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to. [14]

15 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.

16 “Woe to you, blind guides! You say, ‘If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath.’ 17 You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? 18 You also say, ‘If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gift on the altar is bound by that oath.’ 19 You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20 Therefore, anyone who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. 21 And anyone who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. 22 And anyone who swears by heaven swears by God’s throne and by the one who sits on it.

23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

25 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

27 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

29 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous. 30 And you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 So you testify against yourselves that you are the descendants of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Go ahead, then, and complete what your ancestors started!

33 “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell? 34 Therefore I am sending you prophets and sages and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town. 35 And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.

37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. 38 Look, your house is left to you desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’[c]”

Last edited:
It seems that there a number of people on this forum who believe that criticizing or even questioning Christianity is the same as bashing Christianity.

Some of these people who cry "Christian bashing" on this forum the loudest don't seem to have a problem "bashing" atheism,Islam,homosexuality,science or anything else they don't believe in.

Wahh,wahh,wahh,cry me a river.

Well, up to this point, I'm the only one who has suggested this will turn into a Christian bashing thread, so show me where I've bashed anything in your list, or the president for that matter. Although, I'll admit to being critical of evangelistic atheists that are not content with just believing as they do (or, rather, disbelieving as they do), they think you're wrong to believe.

That's the smartest thing I've ever heard you say.

Where'd you get it?

I added in the verses. Can't believe I forgot to attribute. I once heard an excellent teaching on this chapter by Dave Johnson at Church of the Open Door.

I added in the verses. Can't believe I forgot to attribute. I once heard an excellent teaching on this chapter by Dave Johnson at Church of the Open Door.

So . . . what closed the door?

Is it hot in here, or is it just . . . you?

Tell me about Christians.

I'm not a very good one, no, but Obama voted to allow babies who survive abortions to starve to death. Just. ****ing. Starve. I think I've got him beat.
He voted to keep the Illinois law in take which is far more strict that the law that was being pushed so you are wrong. I don't think you have anyone beat but possibly yourself but that might be another issue.

So . . . what closed the door?

LOL! No. :D He's still there.

I haven't had a car for probably a decade. Soooo if I want to go to church (and generally, I don't) I would need a ride.

I'm better off reading, and listening.

I can hear recent messages, here. However, - I don't. I probably should.

Church of the Open Door

I'm going to buy this next time I get paid:

Marks of False Spiritual Leadership
David Johnson
Matthew 23:1-39
It is crucial that we are able to identify false spiritual leaders according to Jesus' description in Matthew 23. After identifying these characteristics, Johnson describes the impact that false spiritual leaders have on people's lives. Finally, this study reveals how God reacts to false spiritual leaders and spiritually abusive systems.

Last edited:
He voted to keep the Illinois law in take which is far more strict that the law that was being pushed so you are wrong. I don't think you have anyone beat but possibly yourself but that might be another issue.

You're awful cute when you're riled.

LOL! No. :D He's still there.

I haven't had a car for probably a decade. Soooo if I want to go to church (and generally, I don't) I would need a ride.

I'm better off reading, and listening.

I can hear recent messages, here. However, - I don't. I probably should.

Church of the Open Door

I'm going to buy this next time I get paid:

Yeah.

Yeahhhh . . .

Listen. You're a doll. But I really should get on to other stuff. I got a sick friend.

Seriously.

Night.

How can you hate and be Christian. That is impossible. You are not Christian not even a little bit. You may call yourself that but the hate thing shows you for what you really are. And if in fact there happens to be a god you will certainly need to duck. Because he will judge you very harshly.

It's funny, if I had posted this exact thing as a Christian, I would be accused of being hateful. If you don't want us judging anybody else's relationship with God, why is it ok for you to judge Dan's?

Well, up to this point, I'm the only one who has suggested this will turn into a Christian bashing thread, so show me where I've bashed anything in your list, or the president for that matter. Although, I'll admit to being critical of evangelistic atheists that are not content with just believing as they do (or, rather, disbelieving as they do), they think you're wrong to believe.

I hope you don't think the universe revolves around you?

I never accused you personally of anything on this forum,so the only thing I have to show you is jack.

All I said was "some people" on this forum.
Not "everyone".
Not "these individual people who I shall name"

Unless of course you wish to prove to me that
the statement I made :

" It seems that there a number of people on this forum who believe that criticizing or even questioning Christianity is the same as bashing Christianity.

Some of these people who cry "Christian bashing" on this forum the loudest don't seem to have a problem "bashing" atheism,Islam,homosexuality,science or anything else they don't believe in"...

is a false one and that no Christian has ever (or could ever) engaged in such a practice on this forum

Now if you took what I originally wrote to mean specifically "you" then that's on your vanity, not mine.

If you are not one of the people who display the behavior I described in my previous post,good for you.

And if you are one of those people who does display the behavior I described,I would maybe suggest some sensitivity training or some anger management classes.

I'm just telling it like it is.
Some people hate that.

Last edited:
Just wondering. And no, I'm not talking to anybody but the people who self-identify as Christians in the mold of Michele Bachmann.

How does this mesh with how you treat people who don't see the world exactly as you do? How can you judge people you don't even know on a daily basis.

How can you insult and disrespect the President. And don't go jumping down my throat. I didn't say question. I didn't say ignore his (in your estimation) many mistakes. The Bible clearly says we should be praying for him. So when you're in here calling him names and tearing him down - that's really okay, in your mind? I'd like to know what verses countenance such behaviors.

Some of the worst trolls on this board claim the name of Christ. I just don't know how or why.

As always, if this shoe doesn't fit? I'm not talking about you.

Agreed that my behavior in here has not always been the model of Christ.

:) still learning voodoo "oh behalf of Boehner"?

your page goes on to link to the following page, which points out that Obama's explanation for his votes fail to hold water. Turns out that the bill he voted against contained exactly the same protection he claimed he wished it had and that he supported the federal bill for - he was just using "support for the national bill" to cover opposition to his local bill.

Barack Obama voted against "born alive" legislation in Illinois that was "virtually identical to the federal law."

Rated: True

Factcheck.org notes that Obama was bearing false witness:

...A June 30 Obama campaign statement responding to similar claims by conservative commentator William J. Bennett says that SB 1082 did not contain the same language as the federal BAIPA.

Obama campaign statement, June 30: Illinois And Federal Born Alive Infant Protection Acts Did Not Include Exactly The Same Language. The Illinois legislation read, "A live child born as a result of an abortion shall be fully recognized as a human person and accorded immediate protection under the law." The Born Alive Infant Protections Act read, "Nothing in this section shall be construed to affirm, deny, expand, or contract any legal status or legal right applicable to any member of the species homo sapiens at any point prior to being ‘born alive’ as defined in this section." [SB 1082, Held in Health and Human Services, 3/13/03; Session Sine Die, 1/11/05; BAIPA, Public Law 107-207]

The statement was still on Obama’s Web site as of this writing, Aug. 25, long after Obama had accused his detractors of "lying." But Obama’s claim is wrong. In fact, by the time the HHS Committee voted on the bill, it did contain language identical to the federal act....

though they go on to note:

Obama’s campaign now has a different explanation for his vote against the 2003 Illinois bill. Even with the same wording as the federal law, the Obama camp says, the state bill would have a different effect than the BAIPA would have at the federal level. It’s state law, not federal law, that actually regulates the practice of abortion. So a bill defining a pre-viable fetus born as the result of abortion as a human could directly affect the practice of abortion at the state level, but not at the federal level, the campaign argues.

And in fact, the 2005 version of the Illinois bill, which passed the Senate 52 to 0 (with four voting "present") after Obama had gone on to Washington, included an additional protective clause not included in the federal legislation: "Nothing in this Section shall be construed to affect existing federal or State law regarding abortion." Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor says that Obama would have voted for that bill if he had been in state office at the time.

But whether or not one accepts those arguments, it is not the reason Obama had been giving for his 2003 opposition....

Agreed that my behavior in here has not always been the model of Christ.

:) still learning voodoo "oh behalf of Boehner"?

Yeah. ;) Actually, I'm a coward. I can't go there. I have too steep and deep a belief that I would be opening my spirit up to all manner of monstrous uglies. So I won't.

that sounds less like cowardice and more like wisdom. ;)

I agree BD, with your assessment.

The Bible says one thing, most Christians do the opposite.

Why?

Have you been to an American church? Unfortunately they don't really discuss philosophy or the bible anymore, but instead the welfare of the U.S. and some rule based morality they impose and cause to impose on others.

You quote the core qualities of Christians, and it is a beautiful thing, but one must first care about studying that philosophy rather than having their ears tickled.

Odd because the bible is an epic book of love, logic and wisdom, with an an abstract guide to our current state or affairs. They're missing out!

I agree BD, with your assessment.

The Bible says one thing, most Christians do the opposite.

Why?

Because even though the Bible is supposedly the Word of God, relatively few Christians actually read the book. Instead, they wait for the Cliff Notes version from their clergy on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom