• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

For Those Who Call Yourselves by His Name

"He invites homeless into his home for dinner, he is religious!".

Or spiritual. I wonder how many people, like me, stopped calling themselves "religious" because it feels like a bad word. I'm spiritual.

Then there's the whole "straight is the gate and narrow the way." Only Christians are going to heaven. Strike that. Only fundamentalist Christians. That doesn't make sense to me. There are too many men and women of honor who set a standard in various and sundry other belief systems.

Not to mention the smug superiority inherent. "I'm going to heaven, and you're not." Why would you essentially, in your heart and mind, choose to damn someone to your perception of hell!?

That's exactly what it is. It took me getting into a church that believed that Grace was more important than legalism to see what the problem is. I didn't even know how much pressure I was under until the Pastor drew a word picture of not even being able to see the little donkey under all the burdens people kept piling on him. "Do more! Try harder!" "If you do the do's, you won't have time to do the don'ts!" etc. So there's these four little donkey legs splayed out under all the weight, and I burst into tears.

That can't be healthy. >.>
Or spiritual. I wonder how many people, like me, stopped calling themselves "religious" because it feels like a bad word. I'm spiritual.

Then there's the whole "straight is the gate and narrow the way." Only Christians are going to heaven. Strike that. Only fundamentalist Christians. That doesn't make sense to me. There are too many men and women of honor who set a standard in various and sundry other belief systems.
Not to mention the smug superiority inherent. "I'm going to heaven, and you're not." Why would you essentially, in your heart and mind, choose to damn someone to your perception of hell!?
Well, you know what's wrong. You can either complain about it, or do your part. Never underestimate 1 act of kindness, for though G-d punishes "to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand [generations] of those who love me and keep my commandments".
do the math, 1 good deed rectifies an evil act 250 times. :)

Last edited:

One word.

Vanity.

It's a sin that quite a number of Christians love to commit,but never want to admit to it.

One word.

Vanity.

It's a sin that quite a number of Christians love to commit,but never want to admit to it.

I hadn't heard of vanity being in that context before.

I've always been greatly aware of the dichotomy between the people I refer to. I said "You who call yourself by his name" for a reason. People have expectations of Christians. Those who judge pretty much set themselves up to expect the same in return, i.e.: Judge not, lest ye be judged.

There are those who "call themselves by his name" who suspend judgement, or leave it to the right judge. Lot's of us, I hope.

On the other hand each of us makes choices, and stands in judgement on those who make other choices. You are calling out Christians on many things for which they deserve to be judged, but also...

Orthodox (not even fundamentalist) Christians believe in exclusivity. And you're right, some fundamentalists make a childish game out of this stuff. But the bottom line is the same as all other eternal judgements. It's not my business.

But that is a JUDGEMENT you are doing up there... right? Something you feel right, and strongly about. Just like many who believe in exclusivity do so reasonably, even if you think they are wrong.

You know BDBoop, there is a large and growing group of Christians who think very similarly to you. Have you heard of the "Emergent movement" or Rob Bell et al? I am not a big fan, but you might like him. ;)

Last edited:
I have not heard of the emergent movement - but I also knew I was not alone out here. :) Thank you.

It's a sin to hate people. If a Christian genuinely hates Obama then they are sinning. However, it's not wrong to disagree or believe that the president is foolish or wrong when it comes to issues.

The same holds true to Christians who may hate Republicans or any other individual for that matter.

I hadn't heard of vanity being in that context before.

But we've all seen it committed here on this forum (and others)numerous time.
There's tons of deliberate misquoting,taking things out of context,race baiting,name calling,outright lying,refusing to admit when one is wrong despite overwhelming evidence from plenty of people on this forum,etc.

All in an attempt to be "always right".
Because their beliefs are always 100 percent correct and how dare anyone ever question them.

I mean really,how many times does the words "oops,I was wrong,my bad" appear on this forum?

There are plenty of Atheists on this who are just as guilty of vanity as some of the Christians,the difference though is that vanity isn't a sin in atheism.
I fully admit to my own vanity.
Personally I see nothing wrong with a little narcissism
As long as it's done in moderation.
Better to be vain then to be a hypocrite I always say.

But we've all seen it committed here on this forum (and others)numerous time.
There's tons of deliberate misquoting,taking things out of context,race baiting,name calling,outright lying,refusing to admit when one is wrong despite overwhelming evidence from plenty of people on this forum,etc.

All in an attempt to be "always right".
Because their beliefs are always 100 percent correct and how dare anyone ever question them.

I mean really,how many times does the words "oops,I was wrong,my bad" appear on this forum?

There are plenty of Atheists on this who are just as guilty of vanity as some of the Christians,the difference though is that vanity isn't a sin in atheism.
I fully admit to my own vanity.
Personally I see nothing wrong with a little narcissism
As long as it's done in moderation.
Better to be vain then to be a hypocrite I always say.

I heard that sermon once. "What makes you okay? Is it being right? Having the last word? And what will happen if you're wrong? Will you stop being 'okay'?"

It's a sin to hate people. If a Christian genuinely hates Obama then they are sinning. However, it's not wrong to disagree or believe that the president is foolish or wrong when it comes to issues.

The same holds true to Christians who may hate Republicans or any other individual for that matter.

People give themselves permission though, and I really don't know why. Hate is toxic. It literally causes sickness in a spirit.

People give themselves permission though, and I really don't know why. Hate is toxic. It literally causes sickness in a spirit.

What is the worse sickness,someone who'll walk up to you and tell you that he/she hates your guts,or someone who only "says" they love you because a book tells them to?

At least I know where the hater is coming from.
At least he's being honest.

You know what they say,you always hurt the ones you "love".

What is the worse sickness,someone who'll walk up to you and tell you that he/she hates your guts,or someone who only "says" they love you because a book tells them to?

At least I know where the hater is coming from.
At least he's being honest.

You know what they say,you always hurt the ones you "love".

I don't know what what you said has to do with what I said.

I don't know what what you said has to do with what I said.

Hate and vanity are both toxic.
They both cause "spiritual sickness"
All I asked was which is the worse.

Hate and vanity are both toxic.
They both cause "spiritual sickness"
All I asked was which is the worse.

I don't think there is a worse. Both lead to sickness of spirit.

I don't think there is a worse. Both lead to sickness of spirit.

While iIrespect that opinion,may I point out that while they both lead to a sickness of spirit,there is a big difference between the common cold and brain cancer.
Just saying.

While iIrespect that opinion,may I point out that while they both lead to a sickness of spirit,there is a big difference between the common cold and brain cancer.
Just saying.

Okay, well; in my mind you're comparing two kinds of cancer and claiming one is the common cold.

Okay, well; in my mind you're comparing two kinds of cancer and claiming one is the common cold.

Fair enough.
How about this:

Some cancers can be cured,some can't.

In my opinion vanity is a cancer that is more difficult to cure than the "hate cancer" because those inflicted with the "vanity cancer" are less inclined to even admit they have it,thus they won't seek treatment.

Fair enough.
How about this:

Some cancers can be cured,some can't.

In my opinion vanity is a cancer that is more difficult to cure than the "hate cancer" because those inflicted with the "vanity cancer" are less inclined to even admit they have it,thus they won't seek treatment.

That makes sense, but haters feed on their hate. Actually, they both do. So, unless they're willing to rethink the path they're on, they won't get any better.

Just wondering. And no, I'm not talking to anybody but the people who self-identify as Christians in the mold of Michele Bachmann.

Well that leaves me out. I claim the name of Christ, not of Michele Bachmann. :lol:

Sometimes hate can be appropriate, like hating bigotry.

With people it gets more complex, but while I recognize, for instance, that Hitler Youth was a bunch of brainwashed kids, I think it would be appropriate to feel intense dislike, extreme aversion or hostility in their presence. And that's the dictionary definition of "hate".

If you can't exorcise your flaws, turn them around and make them work for good.

Sometimes hate can be appropriate, like hating bigotry.

That is a tricky line to draw. How is that sentence different than this one?

Sometimes hate can be appropriate, like hating sodomy.

For the purpose of this discussion the subject of hatred was regarding hating a person for being gay. Or having an abortion.

Is hate too strong a word? I'm talking about people who cast out their loved ones for being gay, as Michele Bachmann has done.

Or for no reason at all, as happens to family members who don't do enough or try hard enough, or maybe just refuses to 'obey' someone who says 'jump.'

For the purpose of this discussion the subject of hatred was regarding hating a person for being gay. Or having an abortion.

Is hate too strong a word? I'm talking about people who cast out their loved ones for being gay, as Michele Bachmann has done.

Or for no reason at all, as happens to family members who don't do enough or try hard enough, or maybe just refuses to 'obey' someone who says 'jump.'

I don't really know much about Michelle Bachmann. Can't say I consider her a particularly serious candidate for Prez nom.

Has she in fact cast out loved ones for being gay? Or having an abortion? I wouldn't know, I don't find her intresting enough to bother with much.

Nobody is perfect. I have a dear family member who once had an abortion... she knows how I feel about that, but that doesn't change my love for her or how I treat her.

I suppose I'll have to settle for being a Christian then, apparently I don't qualify to be a Bachmannian... woe is me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom