• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

For Those Who Call Yourselves by His Name

I don't really know much about Michelle Bachmann. Can't say I consider her a particularly serious candidate for Prez nom.

Has she in fact cast out loved ones for being gay? Or having an abortion? I wouldn't know, I don't find her intresting enough to bother with much.

Nobody is perfect. I have a dear family member who once had an abortion... she knows how I feel about that, but that doesn't change my love for her or how I treat her.

I suppose I'll have to settle for being a Christian then, apparently I don't qualify to be a Bachmannian... woe is me. :lol:

Goshin, did I really **** up that bad on the original question? Allow me to try again. Fundamantalist Christians (SUCH AS MICHELE BACHMANN).

Better?

In 2004, Bachmann gave a speech warning that gay marriage would lead to schoolchildren being indoctrinated into homosexuality. She wanted everyone to know, though, that she doesn't hate gay people. "Any of you who have members of your family in the lifestyle, we have a member of our family that is," she said. "This is not funny. It's a very sad life. It's part of Satan, I think, to say that this is gay."

She was clearly talking about her 51-year-old stepsister, Helen LaFave, who had lived with her partner, Nia Wronski, for more than 15 years. As Bachmann became the public face of opposition to gay marriage, her relationship with her stepsiblings grew strained. "Helen always liked Michele, always," says Linda Cielinski, one of Bachmann's other stepsisters. "They lived together as teenage girls. They were very close at that time." Bachmann's anti-gay activism, Cielinski says, "was a hit to the gut."

And so, in April 2006, when the Minnesota Senate judiciary committee met for a hearing on Bachmann's proposed constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, Helen LaFave, Wronski, and several relatives including Cielinski were all in the gallery. "I wanted Michele to put a face to this whole thing," says Cielinski. "These were family members she was hurting." They didn't intend to talk to the press—LaFave has always shied away from media attention—but journalists quickly learned who they were and surrounded them. (LaFave declined an interview request, citing concern about the effect of the controversy on her 87-year-old father, who is still married to Bachmann's mother.)

The ensuing brouhaha further tore at the family. In a Star Tribune story headlined "Bachmann, stepsister hold opposing views," Bachmann claimed that she'd polled her siblings and stepsiblings, and that six of the nine agreed with her. Her stepbrother Mike LaFave was horrified. "The reality was she hadn't taken a family vote count, nor would my family ever do such a thing," he says. "I just find it terrible that when Michele was taken by surprise by a question she wasn't prepared for, the first thing she did was throw not only my sister but her whole family under the bus."

Over the years, several letters from disgruntled Bachmann relatives have appeared in local newspapers, though they usually don't mention their relationship. "I have a suggestion for Michele Bachmann, R-Stillwater, since she's interested in watching gay people," Cielinski wrote in a letter published in the Pioneer Press in 2005. "Instead of hiding behind bushes with a security guard, go to the grocery store, a PTA meeting, ballgames, concerts, church, the movies, or take a walk around the lake…[T]hey are our friends and family members who have added so much to our lives." Bachmann never responded.

None of this is likely to sour her many devoted fans. Indeed, it's precisely her unwavering ideological commitment that endears her to them. "She's not afraid to say things that other people on the right are probably thinking, but they're just too wimpy to say," says Pulkrabek, who supports Bachmann's presidential ambitions. "She says these things and she promotes these views because she really believes them."

Bachmann's Unrivaled Extremism - The Daily Beast

Goshin, did I really **** up that bad on the original question? Allow me to try again. Fundamantalist Christians (SUCH AS MICHELE BACHMANN).

Better?

Dear, I am a Fundamentalist Christian... more or less. Perhaps the point I'm trying to make, is that Michele Bachmann may not be such a good template for judging all Fundamentalists by.

As I said, I've never paid a lot of attention to M. Bachmann. Certainly the article in question makes her sound less than articulate, and perhaps less than honest... but one has to wonder if "The Daily Beast" might suffer from a certain amount of bias? :shrug:

Where does Bachmann stand in recent polls? Is she actually doing well enough that it is worth the bother for me to dig in and see where they hype and partisanship ends and the real Michele begins?

That is a tricky line to draw. How is that sentence different than this one?

Sometimes hate can be appropriate, like hating sodomy.

Consensual sodomy doesn't hurt anybody. Duhr.

Well of course it does. Think of all the poor little hemorrhoids!! :doh

Dear, I am a Fundamentalist Christian... more or less. Perhaps the point I'm trying to make, is that Michele Bachmann may not be such a good template for judging all Fundamentalists by.

Understood. Also understand that I almost disclaimed the first post (Digsbe and Goshin, this is not the thread you seek).

As I said, I've never paid a lot of attention to M. Bachmann. Certainly the article in question makes her sound less than articulate, and perhaps less than honest... but one has to wonder if "The Daily Beast" might suffer from a certain amount of bias? :shrug:

Where does Bachmann stand in recent polls? Is she actually doing well enough that it is worth the bother for me to dig in and see where they hype and partisanship ends and the real Michele begins?

Just wondering. And no, I'm not talking to anybody but the people who self-identify as Christians in the mold of Michele Bachmann.

How does this mesh with how you treat people who don't see the world exactly as you do? How can you judge people you don't even know on a daily basis.

How can you insult and disrespect the President. And don't go jumping down my throat. I didn't say question. I didn't say ignore his (in your estimation) many mistakes. The Bible clearly says we should be praying for him. So when you're in here calling him names and tearing him down - that's really okay, in your mind? I'd like to know what verses countenance such behaviors.

Some of the worst trolls on this board claim the name of Christ. I just don't know how or why.

As always, if this shoe doesn't fit? I'm not talking about you.

I freaking HATE Obama's sorry butt.

Nothing in Galatians tells me I have to adore what he does as POTUS.

Does it?

Does it?

Let me check that list again. Fruits of the spirit; Love. Joy. Peace. Longsuffering. Gentleness. Goodness. Meekness. Temperance. Faith. ... Nope, not seeing hate.

1 Tim 2:1-2 1 "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence."

Okay, well I guess your course is set, yeah?

Just wondering. And no, I'm not talking to anybody but the people who self-identify as Christians in the mold of Michele Bachmann.

How does this mesh with how you treat people who don't see the world exactly as you do? How can you judge people you don't even know on a daily basis.

How can you insult and disrespect the President. And don't go jumping down my throat. I didn't say question. I didn't say ignore his (in your estimation) many mistakes. The Bible clearly says we should be praying for him. So when you're in here calling him names and tearing him down - that's really okay, in your mind? I'd like to know what verses countenance such behaviors.

Some of the worst trolls on this board claim the name of Christ. I just don't know how or why.

As always, if this shoe doesn't fit? I'm not talking about you.

In order: I am a Christian but I am in no one's mold because my relationship with the Lord is between us and no one else.

Next: I treat everyone the same in the beginning and when they prove they are not worth, don't have anything to do with them and if attacked I fight back in kind.

As to disrespecting Obama I have always and continue to respect the office but when on "Mar 15, 2008 Obama said: "My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it".

I took that for what it was, and that was a warning that he is going to bring down our Nation, and hea has done a lot to get his way so far.

In my opinion set out to destroy the economy when on Nov 2, 2008, in a San Francisco Chronicle interview: Obama said: "Under My Plan...Electricity Rates Would Necessarily Skyrocket"knowing that it would kill hope and that would create a ripple effect.

Over a year ago he killed oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and it's helping to fuel higher prices on everything.

With the complicity of Pelosi and Reid he went after the Health Care System that is currently keeping me alive and kept the whole thing secret until we could do nothing about it, after promising openness and transparency.

In 2009 Jane Strum Jane asks the President if her 100 year old mother (now 105) would have gotten a pacemaker under his plan. Well now that's a tough one ... that costs a lot and maybe we will have to say, just take a pill.

That is going to happen if you read the 2,000 plus pages you'll find it.

I am not of Christ I am for him and Anti-Obama.

If stating how I feel and fight back against the attacks I always get for stating what I see as facts is trolling I guess I am guilty.

As I like to say you can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts and truths.

BTW Ihave gay Brother dying from AIDs and still love him.

Last edited:
In order: I am a Christian but I am in no one's mold because my relationship with the Lord is between us and no one else.

Next: I treat everyone the same in the beginning and when they prove they are not worth, don't have anything to do with them and if attacked I fight back in kind.

As to disrespecting Obama I have always and continue to respect the office but when on "Mar 15, 2008 Obama said: "My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it".

I took that for what it was, and that was a warning that he is going to bring down our Nation, and hea has done a lot to get his way so far.

In my opinion set out to destroy the economy when on Nov 2, 2008, in a San Francisco Chronicle interview: Obama said: "Under My Plan...Electricity Rates Would Necessarily Skyrocket"knowing that it would kill hope and that would create a ripple effect.

Over a year ago he killed oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and it's helping to fuel higher prices on everything.

With the complicity of Pelosi and Reid he went after the Health Care System that is currently keeping me alive and kept the whole thing secret until we could do nothing about it, after promising openness and transparency.

In 2009 Jane Strum Jane asks the President if her 100 year old mother (now 105) would have gotten a pacemaker under his plan. Well now that's a tough one ... that costs a lot and maybe we will have to say, just take a pill.

That is going to happen if you read the 2,000 plus pages you'll find it.

I am not of Christ I am for him and Anti-Obama.

If stating how I feel and fight back against the attacks I always get for stating what I see as facts is trolling I guess I am guilty.

As I like tosay youcan have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts and truths.

snopes.com: Greatest Nation - never happened. Don't suppose that changes your mind any?

But being a bigot does?

Both people do something I find offensive, but I don't find the judgement of one more justified than the other.

Does it?

He's an orphan, or I'd tell you he's someone's son. He's someone's husband, and a father of two. I find it difficult to believe that you hate him. You can hate his policies from here to next year, but as a man, he's done nothing to deserve hatred.

He's an orphan, or I'd tell you he's someone's son. He's someone's husband, and a father of two. I find it difficult to believe that you hate him. You can hate his policies from here to next year, but as a man, he's done nothing to deserve hatred.

As a man he stood by and let newborns starve to death.

You can love someone for their humanity while disagreeing with their views from an ego level.

The President directly affects my life so naturally I will want to be aware of his actions and the actions of congress.

Incidentally, I do practice compassion as consciously as I possibly can and I agree that it is the cornerstone to living a fruitful and healthy life.
Can you disagree without being judgmental?

Does it?

How can you hate and be Christian. That is impossible. You are not Christian not even a little bit. You may call yourself that but the hate thing shows you for what you really are. And if in fact there happens to be a god you will certainly need to duck. Because he will judge you very harshly.

How can you hate and be Christian. That is impossible. You are not Christian not even a little bit. You may call yourself that but the hate thing shows you for what you really are. And if in fact there happens to be a god you will certainly need to duck. Because he will judge you very harshly.

Is it hot in here, or is it just . . . you?

Tell me about Christians.

I'm not a very good one, no, but Obama voted to allow babies who survive abortions to starve to death. Just. ****ing. Starve. I think I've got him beat.

However? It's not true.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...is-born-alive-abortion-law-becomes-campaign-/

Obama: Well and because they have not been telling the truth. And I hate to say that people are lying, but here's a situation where folks are lying. I have said repeatedly that I would have been completely in, fully in support of the federal bill that everybody supported - which was to say --that you should provide assistance to any infant that was born - even if it was as a consequence of an induced abortion. That was not the bill that was presented at the state level. What that bill also was doing was trying to undermine Roe vs. Wade. By the way, we also had a bill, a law already in place in Illinois that insured life saving treatment was given to infants.

So for people to suggest that I and the Illinois medical society, so Illinois doctors were somehow in favor of withholding life saving support from an infant born alive is ridiculous. It defies commonsense and it defies imagination and for people to keep on pushing this is offensive and it's an example of the kind of politics that we have to get beyond. It's one thing for people to disagree with me about the issue of choice, it's another thing for people to out and out misrepresent my positions repeatedly, even after they know that they're wrong. And that's what's been happening.

Brody: I wanted to give you a chance to clear it up.

Obama: I appreciate it.

Brody: Thank you so much.

http://blogs.cbn.com/thebrodyfile/a...ated-on-born-alive-infant-protection-act.aspx

Last edited:
He's full of ****.

You buy it. Fine.

I don't.

He's full of ****.

You buy it. Fine.

I don't.

I've seen no evidence that your belief has any basis in reality.

However, as to the subject at hand? The Bible says nothing about "feel free to hate if it's logical, in your estimation, to do so."

I've seen no evidence that your belief has any basis in reality.

However, as to the subject at hand? The Bible says nothing about "feel free to hate if it's logical, in your estimation, to do so."

Where does it say I must embrace evil?

Where does it say I must embrace evil?

It doesn't. Read the verse above. It doesn't say embrace evil. It says pray for those in authority. You're also double-whammied with Matthew 5:44.

Back
Top Bottom