• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Matthews Predicts Trump Could Resign ‘In The Coming Weeks’

Half of the posters here are Russian trolls, I think.

How do we stop what? Russian interference in our elections? Damned if I know. I'm waiting for the Republicans to figure that out.

I dont think it can be stopped frankly. But the entire west is grappling with it now as far right leaders are emerging all over. I guess there are no easy answers to it.

If he was going to resign it would have to be under considerably more pressure than he’s under right now. We’re nowhere close to critical mass.

If he was going to resign it would have to be under considerably more pressure than he’s under right now. We’re nowhere close to critical mass.

We also dont know if there are any "deals" he made with the SC. If so he could know he is safe. If they say he cant be indicted then he can sit it out.

Isn't Mr. Tingles forgetting about the pardon power of the POTUS?
Most of the “scholars” I’ve heard speak on this say that he cannot pardon himself. And those who say they believe he can also say that if he did he’d be immediately impeached. Just out of common sense (not that that is an applicable factor) I don’t believe our founding fathers intended the pardon power to include the president, himself.

Most of the “scholars” I’ve heard speak on this say that he cannot pardon himself. And those who say they believe he can also say that if he did he’d be immediately impeached. Just out of common sense (not that that is an applicable factor) I don’t believe our founding fathers intended the pardon power to include the president, himself.

I took the OP premise to be that criminal allegations against Trump's kids would be reason for him to agree to resign. Once Trump is out of office he loses the pardon power so your (self-pardoning) point would be moot. I doubt that Trump would be impeached for pardoning others, even his own kids.

Trump won't resign. He is making too much money.

And you don't dispute it.

That means I'm right about you.

I don't understand. Probably because the maturity level of your debate just dropped below zero.

You've done a great job of describing a pardon yet have not addressed the "immunity deal" power at all or how it (and granted by who, exactly) stops congress or the states from simply ignoring it.

Congress does not have the power to convict anyone. It can investigate, subpeona, and refer for prosecution, but cannot prosecute.

And nothing stops the state from ignoring the immunity deal. That was my point - neither pardons nor immunity provide complete protection for Trump

NYS just shut down Trump's charity.

This amounted to the Trump Foundation functioning as little more than a checkbook to serve Mr. Trump’s business and political interests,” Ms. Underwood said.

It's starting..

Congress does not have the power to convict anyone. It can investigate, subpeona, and refer for prosecution, but cannot prosecute.

And nothing stops the state from ignoring the immunity deal. That was my point - neither pardons nor immunity provide complete protection for Trump

Congress does have the power to remove a sitting POTUS from office, at which point they are fair game for prosecution at all levels of government.

I took the OP premise to be that criminal allegations against Trump's kids would be reason for him to agree to resign. Once Trump is out of office he loses the pardon power so your (self-pardoning) point would be moot. I doubt that Trump would be impeached for pardoning others, even his own kids.
Outside of himself, I don’t think any other pardons can or would be challenged. Of course partisans would still throw a hissy, but ....

Why should we believe your future is now rhetoric?

I was talking about the future for our nation and its people. It is always a series of IFS.

An interesting theory by Chris Matthews last night:

There are some on the left who consider Trump's presidency to be illegitimate and they make a good case based on the Russian influence and the impact of the states that flipped to Trump plus his various pre-election coverups. As Matthews says, Trump should leverage the office while he still has it.

Chris Matthews Predicts Trump Could Resign ‘In The Coming Weeks’

"...while touching himself thinking about the 'Obama Leg Thrill' …."

Well most legal scholars say you can't arrest a sitting President...

Really? A number of scholars have stated, correctly, that there are no dispositive declarations in the Constitution that settle that argument.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/12/opinion/mueller-indict-trump.html

This one by Jonathon Turley, noted legal scholar:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-serving-as-president/?utm_term=.67ba444d2b76

Many scholars like Yale professor Akhil Reed Amar insist that “The Framers implicitly immunized a sitting president from ordinary criminal prosecution.”

The “implicit” part is the problem. This remains a matter of interpretation and, in my view, a faulty and dangerous one. The case for collusion or obstruction of justice does not yet appear to exist, but if it did, Mueller could indict the president.

But, the overriding legal concept is this: "no man is above the law".

That is what will settle this argument, ultimately, when we are searching for that thing that will tip the debate scales.

You beat me to it. Trump won't resign. He knows if he does, he's toast. He'll ride out the protection of the office of POTUS for the time being.

Unless his mounting troubles disable him from discharging his duties, he will be pressured to resign, and if push comes to shove, they will pressure Pence to execute the 25th amendment, and if there is considerable support form the right in the senate to do that, he just might do it.

But, of course, the knee jerk rebuttal is to suggest that no way the spineless senate would do that. Not currently, no. But, there are signs of cracks appearing on the damn.

They could blow the dam apart and who knows what will happen.

Trump isn't charged with anything. Neither are his kids. Trump doesn't have any reason to resign.

Matthews is dreaming.

No, he is thinking what is happening currently, mounting investigations, indictments of associates, etc., and taking it all to it's logical conclusion. We have history to aid us in that conclusion.

that is not dreaming at all. Deductive reasoning, my Dear Watson.

He isn't going to resign.

He will if forced and is presented with a face saving way for his base.

My feeling is that Trump really doesn't want to be president, never did, actually.

Interesting then I wonder what made him do that apology after the p-tape came out. That was one of his most public apologizes.

The Pee tape came out? When? Where is it?

Enquiring minds want to know.

No, he is thinking what is happening currently, mounting investigations, indictments of associates, etc., and taking it all to it's logical conclusion. We have history to aid us in that conclusion.

that is not dreaming at all. Deductive reasoning, my Dear Watson.

No. It's speculating about hypothetical situations.

Agree he also may have the SC to back him up on arresting a sitting president. It makes him dangerous though I think. What stops would he pull out to win again in 2020 if it meant he gets that protection?

He'll throw everything he can at the wall to see what sticks in order to save himself and maybe Ivanka.

Trump has no out nor does Trump want an out. Which leaves Trump in Putin's bag. The two of 'em see a mutual gain by it.

Back
Top Bottom