• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Matthews Predicts Trump Could Resign ‘In The Coming Weeks’

An interesting theory by Chris Matthews last night:

There are some on the left who consider Trump's presidency to be illegitimate and they make a good case based on the Russian influence and the impact of the states that flipped to Trump plus his various pre-election coverups. As Matthews says, Trump should leverage the office while he still has it.

There are some on the left that view his presidency to be illegitimate, however, almost all on the left KNOW that since the election was certified valid the only thing that "could" be done to remove Trump is impeachment and that is simply never going to happen. Even if it were to happen, you would have Pence as president. So those on the left still saying the presidency is illegitimate are fooling themselves. Like it or not, Trump's presidency is VALID and CERTIFIED. He is the 45th president and nothing the left (or anyone else) can do will change that. Pence may be the 46th president should Trump be impeached, but that's it. That's the facts.

Myself, I don't think Trump's ego will EVER let him resign as he lives in a reality where he thinks he is king. Only if an impeachment happens (by both the senate and the house), followed by an orange jump suit, will ever change his mind and that is highly unlikely to ever occur. Trump will not resign, EVER, and that is my prediction.

Isn't Mr. Tingles forgetting about the pardon power of the POTUS?

Which is why it is very important should the Mueller prove illegal activity from Trump, the house needs to impeach him. Even if the senate doesn't that will remove his pardon ability.

Unlike Nixon he won't go quietly and fade into hsitory as the crook he is. He'll probably stay active in acting all things reasonable and decent about the U.S. from the sidelines, where he is more comfortable...you know, flinging poo.
I can just see it "I was president, I know how these guys are operating!"...as though he learned anything...ever...while in office.

I agree with much you and others have said about Trump not going quietly and having to be dragged out kicking and screaming. And IF McConnell and the other top GOP Senators stay in his corner, the is well what could happen. I feel however, that once the report comes out and all the investigations bear fruit of Trump crimes, even McConnell will see the writing on the wall and desperately want to throw the toxic Trump overboard so they can prepare to salvage something for 2020.

I suspect that in the end McConnell and Trump will make a deal where they use as phony "health problems" scenario to get Trump out sometime in 2019. In return for his resignation Trump and family will get a Pence pardon and the rest of the GOP will act like Russia and the other crimes never happened.

Its a win/win situation as best as could be given the reeking steaming bowl of crap it could otherwise be for all on the Trump/GOP side.

Accepting a pardon, even from oneself, is the equivalent of admitting guilt - a plea which can then be used against him in state courts

I suppose that is a possibility but state laws don't cover much of the 'collusion' or FEC rule violations which are the major allegations of criminal activity.

There are some on the left that view his presidency to be illegitimate, however, almost all on the left KNOW that since the election was certified valid the only thing that "could" be done to remove Trump is impeachment and that is simply never going to happen. Even if it were to happen, you would have Pence as president. So those on the left still saying the presidency is illegitimate are fooling themselves. Like it or not, Trump's presidency is VALID and CERTIFIED. He is the 45th president and nothing the left (or anyone else) can do will change that. Pence may be the 46th president should Trump be impeached, but that's it. That's the facts.

Myself, I don't think Trump's ego will EVER let him resign as he lives in a reality where he thinks he is king. Only if an impeachment happens (by both the senate and the house), followed by an orange jump suit, will ever change his mind and that is highly unlikely to ever occur. Trump will not resign, EVER, and that is my prediction.

There also is the fact that some like that he is president. He not only helps democrats get elected, he is creating huge turnout and getting more people aware. While I am sure many want him removed the fact remains that he has single handedly rebuilt the democratic party.

lololol!!!

Chris just got another tingle!!

You are so predictable.

If someone says, Chris Mathews - mention tingle
If someone says, Elizabeth Warren - mention Pocahontas
If someone says, Ted Kennedy, mention Chappaquiddick​

I guess you think debate is just a matter of word association. No matter the topic. :lol:

There also is the fact that some like that he is president. He not only helps democrats get elected, he is creating huge turnout and getting more people aware. While I am sure many want him removed the fact remains that he has single handedly rebuilt the democratic party.

I don't think he has really rebuilt the democratic party, he has only emboldened the base and given the Dems a chance. Like most elections, it is the Dems to lose and this is no different. Remember the Dems are still licking their wounds from the crooked actions of the DNC during the 2016 elections. Should Dems pick someone as polarizing as Hillary again I fear we will see a second term for Trump.

Agreed

In addition, trumps ego will not let him resign and I do not think he would give himself up to save his spawn

Hell I think donald is the kind of person that would use his kids to try and chock the tires of the bus about to run him over.

There are some on the left who consider Trump's presidency to be illegitimate and they make a good case based on the Russian influence and the impact of the states that flipped to Trump plus his various pre-election coverups. As Matthews says, Trump should leverage the office while he still has it.

So how many votes were changed exactly?

Hell I think donald is the kind of person that would use his kids to try and chock the tires of the bus about to run him over.

Hmm... are you saying that Mr. Tingles is FoS for thinking (wishing?) that criminal allegations leveled against his 'spawn' would convince him to resign?

Yes, most on the left blame Hillary's loss on Russia. They over look her laziness to campaign, her inept campaign strategy, peeving off Sanders supporters by jury rigging the Democratic primaries by the DNC and state Democratic party leaders. They ignore, as Hillary herself ignored her blue wall states allowing Trump to win Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. They ignore how much she was disliked by independents, more than even Trump. They ignore her hiding from the media, only going on shows very friendly to her like the view while Trump was on almost every morning show daily, at least calling into them. Hilly's campaign was a ho hum campaign, Trump's was full of energy. They ignore the fact Hillary did worst by 3-5 points than Obama did in 2012 in almost ever voting group. There are many more reasons why Hillary lost other than Russia. Almost all she had control over. Russia she didn't. In short, Hillary did much more to cause her own defeat than Russia. The numbers prove that. I just get tired of all the blaming on put on Russia for her defeat. She caused by her lonesome self to make the election close. Close enough that Trump could eek out a victory in the electoral college, that was her doings, her responsibility.

As for Matthews, if Trump walked away today, resigned. I would be happy with that. I'd much rather have Mike Pence as president. I don't like Trump, I didn't vote for him and could never vote for him. I didn't vote for Hillary either, but against both Hillary and Trump. Pence on the other hand, I most certainly could support. With Trump as president, the Republicans weren't even on the playing field for my consideration for this midterm. I voted against him. With Pence in 2020, the GOP would be right back at full strength, back in play. Depending on whom the democrats nominate, even having the advantage as far as my vote is concerned. Certainly with Pence, there would be no third party voting again. I wonder how many of the other third party voters, some 9 million of us would vote in 2020 with no Trump on the ballot.

Hmm... are you saying that Mr. Tingles is FoS for thinking (wishing?) that criminal allegations leveled against his 'spawn' would convince him to resign?

Nope. I said nothing of the sort. I haven't weighed in either way on his comment. I will now...

I don't think trump will resign.

Trump won't resign. His narcissism will not allow such an ignoble epitaph.

Hmm... if a political party is "built" on the basis of having the current POTUS being seen as the boogie man then what happens once that is no longer the case?

Accepting a pardon, even from oneself, is the equivalent of admitting guilt - a plea which can then be used against him in state courts

No, it is not a plea nor a question of accepting a pardon. It is the president who decides, not the person receiving it, and a blanket pardon is not evidence of even what a pardon was given for. A pardon would not be admissible into evidence in state court.

Nope. I said nothing of the sort. I haven't weighed in either way on his comment. I will now...

I don't think trump will resign.

That Trump will resign the basis for this thread. I simply pointed out that you seem to disagree with it.

So how many votes were changed exactly?

Probably not as many as were changed when James Comey announced he was reopening the investigation into Hillary Clinton right before the election, basically ensuring a Trump victory.

I don't think he has really rebuilt the democratic party, he has only emboldened the base and given the Dems a chance. Like most elections, it is the Dems to lose and this is no different. Remember the Dems are still licking their wounds from the crooked actions of the DNC during the 2016 elections. Should Dems pick someone as polarizing as Hillary again I fear we will see a second term for Trump.

Doubtful if the Mueller investigation keeps going. I really think anybody could win against Trump. Voters will get behind anybody else. Now there is a danger in that too as it could be another Trump type, or someone too far left that wont appeal in 2024. Then the pendulum swings back to republicans. But short term Trump is the gift that keeps giving to the opposition.

I agree with this, and i think we just saw evidence of it in our state. Granted Sununu won, but he's a centrist governor (not very different from John Lynch who got a lot of independent and GOP votes).

Trump spurred on the Democrats here - to vote against him and anyone tied to him. That's why Andy Sanborn got trounced in CD-1 primary by Eddie Edwards. He was viewed as a Trumpist. Then it went on to burn Edwards against Pappas. Pappas didn't just get a lot of votes because of the Puritan Backroom. It was because of Trump.

That happened across many other states as well.

Trump will indeed resign sometime next year and will cite phony "health reasons" as the cause of it . The entire time he will deny he did anything wrong and will go to his grave decrying the witch hunt that conspired against him.

Just like Nixon in Watergate, it will be the secret top Senate GOP defections that signal to him its time to get out of Dodge on our own before the townsfolk tar and feather you and ride you out on a rail.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts the dems (and Never-Trumpers) would all have a merry Christmas.

Hmm... if a political party is "built" on the basis of having the current POTUS being seen as the boogie man then what happens once that is no longer the case?

Depends, it is part Trump and part Trumplike policy. If the GOP gets new blood and leadership that could all change. Democrats arent out of the woods either honestly. They have to decide long term where they want to be, a moderate party or a further left one? Currently they are getting numbers of right leaning NeverTrump voters and suburbanites who are centrists. That could peeve their base long term. I heard one of my more progressive friends lamenting that democrats are beginning to be the "new republican party" since the GOP went nutty. She hates it.

That Trump will resign the basis for this thread. I simply pointed out that you seem to disagree with it.

Not really.
It's Chris Wallace's summary of a widely circulated idea (for months now), that other than impeachment or riding it out, POTUS can as Chris puts it, “Leverage the office while you still have it,” Matthews advised.
I agree the headline is meh.

In this option, if Trump's family is indicted, even if he cannot be, but he's also under pressure of impeachment and possibly indictment when he gets out of office, he can try to work a deal where he resigns for immunity for both him and his family.
It's got pros and cons, and it's entirely up to Trump, and he is not predicting he WILL, only that he could, if he chose such an option.

I think if Trump was engaged in really serious crimes he knows will come out, and lots of crimes for his kids, he may consider it. The alternative is pardoning his kids, and I'm not sure Republicans will like that. But maybe they will, heck, they support the president having his kids in the White House, I'd never have thought that was possible years ago either. How low can we go.

Not going to happen.

Even if he did somehow walk, his organization and many around him (probably himself as well) are going to be facing several other investigations by other law enforcement bodies not named Mueller.

SDNY is going after him also.

Back
Top Bottom