• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Matthews Predicts Trump Could Resign ‘In The Coming Weeks’

I agree with this, and i think we just saw evidence of it in our state. Granted Sununu won, but he's a centrist governor (not very different from John Lynch who got a lot of independent and GOP votes).

Trump spurred on the Democrats here - to vote against him and anyone tied to him. That's why Andy Sanborn got trounced in CD-1 primary by Eddie Edwards. He was viewed as a Trumpist. Then it went on to burn Edwards against Pappas. Pappas didn't just get a lot of votes because of the Puritan Backroom. It was because of Trump.

That happened across many other states as well.

Absolutely. But democrats need to be mindful of the "tea party syndrome" as well. They were ushered in with great fanfare but are virtually non existent today. They overplayed their cards. Democrats could too. They seem to think they have a mandate and will rule forever. They dont realize there are some decent leaders out there that are republicans. 7 our of the top ten governors are republicans. Charlie Baker of MA is one who potentially when the Trump era is over could be another Reagan type. Have heard even some media in the Boston market say he could be the one who brings the GOP roaring back in the future.

Absolutely. But democrats need to be mindful of the "tea party syndrome" as well. They were ushered in with great fanfare but are virtually non existent today. They overplayed their cards. Democrats could too. They seem to think they have a mandate and will rule forever. They dont realize there are some decent leaders out there that are republicans. 7 our of the top ten governors are republicans. Charlie Baker of MA is one who potentially when the Trump era is over could be another Reagan type. Have heard even some media in the Boston market say he could be the one who brings the GOP roaring back in the future.

I'm a big fan of Charlie Baker.

Threatening a person via their family with judicial harassment over politics should terrify people. If the evidence or weight for the crimes in question is so weak a prosecutor would be willing to drop them via resignation. What does it say about motive? This is the current state of our MSM? Fantasying tyranny with a smile. :(

An interesting theory by Chris Matthews last night:

There are some on the left who consider Trump's presidency to be illegitimate and they make a good case based on the Russian influence and the impact of the states that flipped to Trump plus his various pre-election coverups. As Matthews says, Trump should leverage the office while he still has it.

Yeah right, he's not going to resign.

Not really.
It's Chris Wallace's summary of a widely circulated idea (for months now), that other than impeachment or riding it out, POTUS can as Chris puts it, “Leverage the office while you still have it,” Matthews advised.
I agree the headline is meh.

In this option, if Trump's family is indicted, even if he cannot be, but he's also under pressure of impeachment and possibly indictment when he gets out of office, he can try to work a deal where he resigns for immunity for both him and his family.
It's got pros and cons, and it's entirely up to Trump, and he is not predicting he WILL, only that he could, if he chose such an option.

I think if Trump was engaged in really serious crimes he knows will come out, and lots of crimes for his kids, he may consider it. The alternative is pardoning his kids, and I'm not sure Republicans will like that. But maybe they will, heck, they support the president having his kids in the White House, I'd never have thought that was possible years ago either. How low can we go.

Who would be in a position to make this "deal" and how would it remain enforceable? It seems that such a "deal" would amount to a pardon.

That Trump will resign the basis for this thread. I simply pointed out that you seem to disagree with it.

Okay. I do disagree with him but not to the extent that I think he's FoS. I think he's just old-school and is trying to draw parallels to Nixon when there are no parallels with this administration.

Who would be in a position to make this "deal" and how would it remain enforceable? It seems that such a "deal" would amount to a pardon.

There is a difference.

A pardon is an admission of guilt, once accepted. Immunity does not require an admission of guilt, though it almost always does.

In addition, a pardon removes the possibility of incriminating oneself because one has already admitted guilt, so the pardoned offender cannot take the fifth. Once trump pardons himself, Congress can haul his ass in to testify, and then the states can use that to nail him

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts the dems (and Never-Trumpers) would all have a merry Christmas.

The future is all IFS - always has been - always will be.

Probably not as many as were changed when James Comey announced he was reopening the investigation into Hillary Clinton right before the election, basically ensuring a Trump victory.

How many was that?

There is a difference.

A pardon is an admission of guilt, once accepted. Immunity does not require an admission of guilt, though it almost always does.

In addition, a pardon removes the possibility of incriminating oneself because one has already admitted guilt, so the pardoned offender cannot take the fifth. Once trump pardons himself, Congress can haul his ass in to testify, and then the states can use that to nail him

You've done a great job of describing a pardon yet have not addressed the "immunity deal" power at all or how it (and granted by who, exactly) stops congress or the states from simply ignoring it.

No, you're just misinformed as usual, from the article:

Clearly he posed it as a "if the next dominoes fall", and if they were facing criminal charges...Trump could resign to shield them all from justice.
So you claiming "they haven't been charged yet", is just all kinds of dumb right? I mean, he specifically provided you with words to the effect of "if his family is soon indicted".
But keep pointing out they haven't been indicted, that makes perfect sense in Trump-land...

Trump and his campaign are as swampy and dirty as they come. Filled with felons and schemes, lies and obstruction. Just a matter of time.

could be the “next dominoes to fall”

could face prosecution and possible prison time

This is pure speculation.

So...what Matthews is doing is speculating about what could happen if other stuff he's speculating about does happen.

It's all speculation.

no way would tRump sacrifice himself to save his kids. he's not built that way
but he would to save himself and to save his tRump brand; they are almost synonymous - at least to him
the only other way he can avoid prosecution is to win in 2020. that lightning will not strike twice
once reality sets in, that to abandon his office is his one way out, tRump will bail
being without courage to stand and fight a battle he cannot win, tRump will opt to survive outside of club fed
it will be agreed that pence will give him and his a blanket nixonion pardon for crimes known and unknown, at all levels of government
and it would not be surprising this action would be taken under ruse of the 25th amendment, such that we pretend his treasonous actions were due to a medical condition
again, like nixon's, the arrangement will be sold as something undertaken "for the good of the country"

As many as were influenced by the Russians.

But how is that stopped? Half this forum could be Russian trolls for all we know. They have been successful in Brexit and are already getting involved in Canadian and German upcoming elections. I dont think there is an easy answer for it. Voters are easily influenced I am afraid and now we know more than we had previously thought.

You are so predictable.

If someone says, Chris Mathews - mention tingle
If someone says, Elizabeth Warren - mention Pocahontas
If someone says, Ted Kennedy, mention Chappaquiddick​

I guess you think debate is just a matter of word association. No matter the topic. :lol:

And...If you say something - mention triggered.

But how is that stopped? Half this forum could be Russian trolls for all we know. They have been successful in Brexit and are already getting involved in Canadian and German upcoming elections. I dont think there is an easy answer for it. Voters are easily influenced I am afraid and now we know more than we had previously thought.

Half of the posters here are Russian trolls, I think.

How do we stop what? Russian interference in our elections? Damned if I know. I'm waiting for the Republicans to figure that out.

An interesting theory by Chris Matthews last night:

There are some on the left who consider Trump's presidency to be illegitimate and they make a good case based on the Russian influence and the impact of the states that flipped to Trump plus his various pre-election coverups. As Matthews says, Trump should leverage the office while he still has it.

I don't see that coming at all, and those who do may not want to hold their breath. I think Trump will hold out until the investigation concludes and its findings are released, and even if there is damning evidence of malfeasance I think he'll still go on the attack and use his support to drum up the "soft coup" idea to prevent there being consensus on impeachment. Since the GOP has put all their eggs in the Trump basket, it's going to be interesting what the party's position is going to be if there's a solid case. There aren't many options for Trump except to sit and wait, then if things get tough he'll resort to all he learned form Roy Cohen and go on full assault and deflection. This is why its critical the investigation connects the dots soundly and makes it iron clad; it's the folks on the fence that would need convincing because team Trump will go down with the ship.

Half of the posters here are Russian trolls, I think.

How do we stop what? Russian interference in our elections? Damned if I know. I'm waiting for the Republicans to figure that out.

I'm a Russian lesbian troll. Infecting America with the ghey.

Back
Top Bottom