• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Being Nerdy about Cereal.

When a sweet cereal was allowed as a treat, this was my pick....

thmb_379_6431_ucp.jpg

Silly wabbit-TRIX are for kids!!!:mrgreen:

I guess that depends on how bad it is. I know some women have a terrible time with menopause.

I don't know but if I had to and it came to a choice of something natural like soy or just hormone pills, I might go with the soy.

I'm not really clear on whether you are saying soy contains estrogen?

It contains "phyto-estrogens", and phytoestrogens compete with estrogen at the receptor site level. I won't take hormone pills either. I just prefer to let my own endocrine function at maximum level without the competition from soy products, until that function diminishes. I suspect that there is a reason that Japan has the lowest fertility rates in the world. ;)

It contains "phyto-estrogens", and phytoestrogens compete with estrogen at the receptor site level. I won't take hormone pills either. I just prefer to let my own endocrine function at maximum level without the competition from soy products, until that function diminishes. I suspect that there is a reason that Japan has the lowest fertility rates in the world. ;)

I agree, but in Japan that might not necessarily be a bad thing considering it's an island. Might not be a bad thing here either, considering all the crazy people we have. :lol:

I agree, but in Japan that might not necessarily be a bad thing considering it's an island. Might not be a bad thing here either, considering all the crazy people we have. :lol:

I'm thinking that maybe the crazy gene is resistant to infertility from soy. :lol:

Here is my nerd side coming out, but ever since they became seasonal items back in 2010 I have looked forward for the release of General mills monster cereals: Count Chocula, Franken berry and Boo berry. This year it seems I can get really nerd out since they are bring back there two monster cereals that haven't been seen since the early 90's: Fruit Brute and Fruity Yummy Mummy. Also it seems you can get them in retro boxes at target ( I just love retro designs).

Monster Cereals Fruit Brute, Yummy Mummy Rise from the Dead - Speakeasy - WSJ

So what cereals from your childhood that still puts a smile on your face?

I was fed cheerios and wheat chex as a child, so it's no surprise that mixing those two together into one bowl is my favorite cereal.

I've never tried anything besides cow's milk.

I drink just about every type of milk except real milk. Almond, rice, soy, hazlenut, etc.

It may not taste as good at first, but it is substantially healthier and it really grows on you.

Do you think that the phyto-estrogen that is present in soy would cause any issue with increased breast cancer risk? Because I know that increased estrogen levels can cause you to be at a higher risk for breast cancer.

Do you think that the phyto-estrogen that is present in soy would cause any issue with increased breast cancer risk? Because I know that increased estrogen levels can cause you to be at a higher risk for breast cancer.

Honestly, it's not a subject that I have really looked into. I tend to doubt it, but something which may indicate it is to look at the breast cancer rates for populations with a high average soy intake. That still wouldn't be proof, but may indicate it as a factor. My primary concern with it is that of interference with sex hormone receptor sites and potential thyroid activity. It's good food for thought, though.

I was fed cheerios and wheat chex as a child, so it's no surprise that mixing those two together into one bowl is my favorite cereal.

I drink just about every type of milk except real milk. Almond, rice, soy, hazlenut, etc.

It may not taste as good at first, but it is substantially healthier and it really grows on you.

I've almost picked up the soy milk at the grocery store but then I chickened out. It's just one of those things that I'm afraid to try. :lol:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378782141798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378782141798.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 16
Great. Trash my childhood memories with that thought.......

;)

They should call them Fruit Poops. Funny that they have a rabbit as a mascot, because they do look like rabbit or deer turds. :lol:

There is a milk that you can buy in a box, and it keeps at room temperature. I keep a couple of boxes on had at all times, just for occasions like that. I HATE it when I want some cereal, and there's not enough milk. :lol:

There is a milk that you can buy in a box, and it keeps at room temperature. I keep a couple of boxes on had at all times, just for occasions like that. I HATE it when I want some cereal, and there's not enough milk. :lol:

I can eat it dry, but Fruit Loops cut up my mouth. Those things are really harsh when they're dry. :lol: A friend and I used to make bets and whoever lost would have to fill their mouth up with dry Fruit Loops and chew them up and swallow them. That is really painful! :lol:

In a HUGE baby when I find there's no milk and I'm craving a bowl of cereal. :bag:

I say a few choice words, pour the dry cereal back into the container, and sulk in my "no milk" pity party.

In a HUGE baby when I find there's no milk and I'm craving a bowl of cereal. :bag:

I say a few choice words, pour the dry cereal back into the container, and sulk in my "no milk" pity party.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that there's also a whole dry milk powder that tastes pretty good. It's called NIDO and made by Nestle (iirc). You just mix 3 heaping TBSP in a cup of warm water, stir briskly, then throw in a couple of ice cubes to chill it down, then serve over cereal. :mrgreen:. The stuff will last forever, and is great for cereal emergencies.:2razz:

:lol: I am picturing you slamming the cereal box back into your cabinet and stomping away. Kids!! Who the hell drank the rest of the milk dammit! Now mom can't have her Fruit Loops!

:lol: I am picturing you slamming the cereal box back into your cabinet and stomping away. Kids!! Who the hell drank the rest of the milk dammit! Now mom can't have her Fruit Loops!

That's it!!! :lol:

Have you been spying on me? /narrows eyes

They should call them Fruit Poops. Funny that they have a rabbit as a mascot, because they do look like rabbit or deer turds. :lol:

You really are trying to demolish the one bright spot in my food youth, aren't you?

;)

You really are trying to demolish the one bright spot in my food youth, aren't you?

;)

I'm just trying to make it more fun for you the next time you eat that cereal. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom