• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Being Nerdy about Cereal.

Of course! Honestly, I'd rather have a nice big bowl of Cap'n Crunch with icy cold whole milk than just about anything. But oy, so bad for you. So good, but so so bad.

Seems like everything that's good and fun is bad or bad for you. :roll:

I <3 cereal in general. I can eat it for dinner or whenever... It's not good for you, but who cares? Crunchy, milky goodness!

I <3 cereal in general. I can eat it for dinner or whenever... It's not good for you, but who cares? Crunchy, milky goodness!

I'm the same way. I usually keep a box or two of "healthy" cereal, then one box of "junk" cereal just for pleasure. ::mrgreen:

One thing I can't stand is skim milk in cereal. Actually, in anything. I hate skim milk.

One thing I can't stand is skim milk in cereal. Actually, in anything. I hate skim milk.

I used to work with a young woman who ate her cereal with orange juice poured over it, because she was lactose-intolerant. I like 2% or whole milk. Skim milk just looks anemic to me. :lol:

I used to work with a young woman who ate her cereal with orange juice poured over it, because she was lactose-intolerant. I like 2% or whole milk. Skim milk just looks anemic to me. :lol:

Eww, that doesn't sound very appetizing.

Skim milk is like white water. :lol: I can't stand it in coffee either. Maybe if I was just drinking a plain old glass of milk it would be okay.

My gramma used to eat her corn flakes with orange juice. She said she had to eat both anyway, so why not save a step?

She was a little nuts by that point. She thought Bob Barker delivered her mail, and swore she used to babysit Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I actually like regular plain soy milk. To me, it tastes as good as whole milk and is much better for you. I'm a milk snob. Hate skim milk but it's just so much better for you. Then I tried soy milk. I didn't like it at first, because I screwed up and got vanilla flavored soy. Thought that's all that was offered, and it was waaaaay too sweet. Then I saw plain and grabbed a carton. Fantastic.

One thing, though. I've never had any luck using soy milk in any kind of pudding. It doesn't set right, for some reason. It's always just under where it needs to be.

Last edited:
I actually like regular plain soy milk. To me, it tastes as good as whole milk and is much better for you. I'm a milk snob. Hate skim milk but it's just so much better for you. Then I tried soy milk. I didn't like it at first, because I screwed up and got vanilla flavored soy. Thought that's all that was offered, and it was waaaaay too sweet. Then I saw plain and grabbed a carton. Fantastic.

One thing, though. I've never had any luck using soy milk in any kind of pudding. It doesn't set right, for some reason. It's always just under where it needs to be.

Ever tried Almond Milk? It's really tasty. I like soy milk, but I'm a baby and need the vanilla kind you speak of. :3oops:

When a sweet cereal was allowed as a treat, this was my pick....

thmb_379_6431_ucp.jpg

Ever tried Almond Milk? It's really tasty. I like soy milk, but I'm a baby and need the vanilla kind you speak of. :3oops:

Yeah, I've tried it but I'm stuck with plain soy now. Too yummy and so much better for you. I can't imagine choosing skim milk over plain soy.

I've never tried it. I'm kind of scared. :lol:

I've never tried it. I'm kind of scared. :lol:

I stay away from soy because of the sex and thyroid hormone issues, but one of the alternatives we offer to our patients at work is rice milk, which is a good alternative imo. It looks like milk, and the texture is very similar too.

I stay away from soy because of the sex and thyroid hormone issues, but one of the alternatives we offer to our patients at work is rice milk, which is a good alternative imo. It looks like milk, and the texture is very similar too.

Interesting. What sex and hormone issues?

Interesting. What sex and hormone issues?
There seems to be an issue with soy products breaking down into a biochemicals which attach to sex and thyroid receptor sites, or iow, mimicking hormones and competing with our own hormone production and release. That is why soy isoflavones are sometimes used for menopausal hot flashes.

There seems to be an issue with soy products breaking down into a biochemicals which attach to sex and thyroid receptor sites, or iow, mimicking hormones and competing with our own hormone production and release. That is why soy isoflavones are sometimes used for menopausal hot flashes.

I see. So if a woman was going through menopause it might actually be good for her? What symptoms might you get if you aren't going through menopause and you drink it?

I've never tried anything besides cow's milk.

I see. So if a woman was going through menopause it might actually be good for her? What symptoms might you get if you aren't going through menopause and you drink it?

It depends on what your definition of good is. My own thoughts are that I want my own hormone functions to be natural, without competition from factors which can affect hormone attachment. Iow, I want to maximize my own estrogen release, and I don't want it inhibited by my diet. Soy was initially encouraged as a relief for hot flashes that menopausal women experience. I personally suspect that the increase in our society of soy products has been influential in the increase of reproductive dysfunction that we are seeing in many of our younger women these days, and possibly in a subtle feminizing of our teenage boys.

It depends on what your definition of good is. My own thoughts are that I want my own hormone functions to be natural, without competition from factors which can affect hormone attachment. Iow, I want to maximize my own estrogen release, and I don't want it inhibited by my diet. Soy was initially encouraged as a relief for hot flashes that menopausal women experience. I personally suspect that the increase in our society of soy products has been influential in the increase of reproductive dysfunction that we are seeing in many of our younger women these days, and possibly in a subtle feminizing of our teenage boys.

I guess that depends on how bad it is. I know some women have a terrible time with menopause.

I don't know but if I had to and it came to a choice of something natural like soy or just hormone pills, I might go with the soy.

I'm not really clear on whether you are saying soy contains estrogen?

Back
Top Bottom