• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Armored Catfish wreaking havoc in South Florida Lakes

Wake

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
ArmoredCatfish.jpg

A species of "armored catfish" are damaging South Florida's lakes, causing coastal erosion and even burrowing holes that trip up humans walking along the water's edge. Catfish are usually one of the more popular breeds of aquatic life, with their smooth skin and flavorful meat. There's even a highly unconventional form of fishing known as "noodling," in which people use their bare hands to capture catfish.
But theSun-Sentinel reports that the Loricariidae (armored catfish) are far less welcome. The non-native and invasive species have rugged scales along their backs and spiky fins. Catching the South American natives can be difficult, as the armored catfish reportedly are not baited by fishing hooks and must instead be caught by nets or even spears.

Armored catfish wreaking havoc in South Florida lakes | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Guys, I think we're under attack. What next, armored carp?

It looks like these fish are just devastating the local wildlife, eating up lake plants which in turn causes erosion.

Huh, I wonder what these catfish taste like breaded.

View attachment 67126422

Armored catfish wreaking havoc in South Florida lakes | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

Guys, I think we're under attack. What next, armored carp?

It looks like these fish are just devastating the local wildlife, eating up lake plants which in turn causes erosion.

Huh, I wonder what these catfish taste like breaded.
Louisiana has a similar problem with a particular species of chinese catfish, nasty little things with no natural predators and are creating havok. We are solving the problem by renaming them and creating delicacy dishes. :mrgreen:

Louisiana has a similar problem with a particular species of chinese catfish, nasty little things with no natural predators and are creating havok. We are solving the problem by renaming them and creating delicacy dishes. :mrgreen:

Very nice.

If it's true they're paying people to catch these suckers I'm gonna take a trip to Florida. :mrgreen:

Very nice.

If it's true they're paying people to catch these suckers I'm gonna take a trip to Florida. :mrgreen:
Very few species of catfish are inedible, most are pretty tasty. The easiest way to solve the problem is to pay people to take it out.

South Florida has alot of different things wreaking havoc...Big boa are knocking the balance of nature all to hell in the everglades...even the gators cant keep them under control...

South Florida has alot of different things wreaking havoc...Big boa are knocking the balance of nature all to hell in the everglades...even the gators cant keep them under control...
I saw that. Too many exotic pet owners decided to get rid of them and they are overrunning everything.

Invasive species are no joke, that's for sure.
We have an asian species of catfish as mentioned earlier and the nutria rat, not really a rat IIRC but looks like one. The asian fish is literally endangering our entire fresh water and brackish water eco systems and the nutria is killing a lot of our plant structures, oh, we also have the hydrilla plant which has the potential to choke off some large swamps. Most of our problems came from the species hitching rides in shipping boats and crates, but no matter how it got here it's a major problem.

They came from people's aquariums originally? It says that the "Loricariids are a popular aquarium fish, as they use their suckered mouths to clean algae from tanks. But that same behavior that is helpful in fish tanks actually erodes local shorelines up to 10 feet as the fish devastate aquatic plant life. They have also been wreaking havoc in Texas waterways for a number of years."

We have an asian species of catfish as mentioned earlier and the nutria rat, not really a rat IIRC but looks like one. The asian fish is literally endangering our entire fresh water and brackish water eco systems and the nutria is killing a lot of our plant structures, oh, we also have the hydrilla plant which has the potential to choke off some large swamps. Most of our problems came from the species hitching rides in shipping boats and crates, but no matter how it got here it's a major problem.

Up around my area (chesapeake bay watershed and Potomac River) the most significant invasive species problem has been Chinese snakeheads. I'm not sure how accurate the reports are, but some say these guys can travel short distances over land, out of the water.

Last edited:
Up around my area (chesapeake bay watershed and Potomac River) the most significant invasive species problem has been Chinese snakeheads. I'm not sure how accurate the reports are, but some say these guys can travel short distances over land, out of the water.
I saw an article about that, I think they have crossed over into a few of the Great Lake areas too and have the potential to be a catastrophic event. It's amazing how fragile an ecosystem is when challenged by non-native species.

I saw that. Too many exotic pet owners decided to get rid of them and they are overrunning everything.

^ This. Also, don't forget Hurricane Andrew. Destroyed so many pet stores, and the snakes were inadvertently freed by the storm, took to the everglades and just didn't stop growing. No tanks to keep them at a manageable size.

^ This. Also, don't forget Hurricane Andrew. Destroyed so many pet stores, and the snakes were inadvertently freed by the storm, took to the everglades and just didn't stop growing. No tanks to keep them at a manageable size.
Hmm. The article I read didn't mention that but makes perfect sense to me, Andrew hit us here too but I remember seeing how bad Florida got it, my city was dinged up but not beyond repair, then again it hit Fla. as a 4 and dropped to a strong 3 here. Catastrophic structural damage to pet stores would allow survivors to find safe havens, and there is nothing safer for a large snake than a large swamp.

LOL - next in the news feed; "Rainwater and Limestone: how it's wreaking havoc on residence who are wreaking havoc on Florida."

... This is one of the downsides of globalization. Invasive species really are a joke and should be treated as seriously as global warming or habitat destruction.

... This is one of the downsides of globalization. Invasive species really are a joke and should be treated as seriously as global warming or habitat destruction.

It has been going on since the days of colonization.

It has been going on since the days of colonization.
True. What tends to happen is pests get in the holds of ships and once they dock the pest finds it's way off the ship, then it becomes a threat due to lack of natural predators. Non-native species are vicious.

Hmm. The article I read didn't mention that but makes perfect sense to me, Andrew hit us here too but I remember seeing how bad Florida got it, my city was dinged up but not beyond repair, then again it hit Fla. as a 4 and dropped to a strong 3 here. Catastrophic structural damage to pet stores would allow survivors to find safe havens, and there is nothing safer for a large snake than a large swamp.

I didn't read it in an article. I like watching Animal Planet and there was a show called Animal Cops: Miami, and they talked alot about it. The snakes aren't staying in the Everglades, either. It's why so many snakes are showing up in people's back yards.

They have trained some Labradors to hunt burmese pythons in Florida and they are catching and killing them by the dozens.

Meanwhile giant Asian shrimp are breed in off the Carolinas and in the Gulf of Mexico.

Back
Top Bottom