• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When it intrudes into my life

I've noticed something similar; just the other day I sat down on the train and couldn't help thinking something along the lines of "I'm sitting next to a Black Man. I wonder what he thinks of the White Man beside him?"

You gotta be kidding me.........

You are thinking small.

There is a entire world out there past the end of your own nose, and a lot of it is really good.

Wow...I'm astounding at the inability for people to actually read and understand what the OP is saying.
I think I can safely speak for both of these guys in saying I feel strongly that they're both intelligent enough to have understood what the OP was attempting to say. But you see, words are funny things.....and even the shortest of lines can reveal a great deal about a person's underlying feelings or motivations. I think they were both pointing out that the OP may be coming from a position that is a tad delusional. I believe the OP was relating a positive experience and he seems to be speaking "from the heart"....but its kind of hard to get past that ONE LINE.

Yes, there is...including the possibility of misinterpretation and consideration of the rules of elevator etiquette--going to the far corner, not making direct eye contact in such a small space and looking instead at the numbers or your shoes or watch or phone.

You're right, of course.

Only in his head? You're not paying attention, are you? If you had, you wouldn't say it was only in his head. At worse, you could say that he is exaggerating the problem but there is a kernel of truth in there.

So there IS a race war going on in America? Where? I'm a white guy....I just spoke to my Black neighbor 15 minutes ago. We didn't try to kill one another. Strange. Btw, before you answer, I'd like to point out that I live in Mississippi....historically one of the most racially divisive regions of our nation.

I have been a victim of crime when a passerby found my car unlocked and stole my guitar and tape player. Cassette deck. It's been a while since I haven't locked my car.

I also was the victim of speed trap in which the speed limit on a US Highway was reduced to 30 mph and the local constable gave me a ticket. A real Mayberry moment.

In both cases, I felt like my world had been invaded and tarnished. Losing the guitar was like a personal invasion and the speed trap was like a bullying incident.

Now we find the Race Wars beginning to start and I find that the current events have invaded my life again. Following the events of the recent days, my world is changed on a personal level. I don't like it.

It's hard to define a feeling. I "feel" like there is a separation suddenly erected between me and others. Little things. Postures, averted looks, pretended interest in the cell phone for no reason and all seemingly rising from the presence of different races.

On an elevator yesterday, a Black gentleman in a suit entered the elevator to join myself and another White guy. The other White guy was about my age with long-ish grey hair. Both of us, refugees from the Viet Nam era. The Black Guy seemed to be about 40 years old and seemed uneasy after the elevator doors closed. Any or all of us could have been seated at the same table in a conference room. There were about 20 floors to reach the lobby. He reached for his Apple phone like he suddenly had something to do. He stared at the screen, but did nothing. It seemed to me that there was tension in the air.

I've been on that same elevator many time with many skin colors and many nationalities and never had that feeling before. It was eerie and uncomfortable. I blame the hate mongers and divisionists in our society.

All of this went on in the time it takes to on-board an express elevator and for the doors to shut. 3 or 4 seconds? Seemed like a long 3 or 4 seconds. Everyone on the elevator was tense. Not a big deal, but it was. Why do I have to feel oppressed by the ginned up hatred of the politicians trying to sell their brand of hate? Why are there people dredging up bias and prejudice that is outdated and way past its sell-by date? Why?

I chuckled and offered that the world changed when "we all" got smart phones. The black guy looked at me to find a friendly, albeit, White face and laughed, too. The tension was abated and his posture and facial expression both softened. We agreed that our kids know more about smart phones than we do and that the Pacers are not going to be champs next year or any year to come as Durant is now with the Warriors. Turns out he and I both bought shares of Ford after the recent drop in Stocks.

Point is, if we had gone to the same high school or worked in the same office or went to the same church and knew each other, we probably would have been friends because we share various areas of commonality. However, because of the state of affairs put forth by current events and shaped by the A-holes who shape these things, there was tension between us. No reason. Just because.

This hate crap has intruded into my life and I don't like it.

I feel the same exact way. People are going to see the world the way they want to so if some black people think that all white people hate them - there isn't anything we can do to change that. There are haters out there and some may make it onto the police force, but most of us (of all colors)like and accept people for who they are not what color their skin is. Some politicians (not all) but some want to create this race issue to distract from the bigger issues at hand. I refuse to be pulled down by their hate. I will stand up against police that may want to discriminate based on color and I will stand up against others who want to kill out of vengeance. I will be kind to my fellow citizens and live a happy life. But most of all, in November I will vote for the person I feel is not perpetuating hate in our society. "the hate crap" has intruded into all of our lives, but we can block it by saying no. WE can stand up with all Americans and say that "All Lives Matter". That's what we need to do - show up a rallies and stand for all Americans all Lives all People - wouldn't that be a showing of what this country is really all about. And those spreaders of Hate would be miserable!

I think I can safely speak for both of these guys in saying I feel strongly that they're both intelligent enough to have understood what the OP was attempting to say. But you see, words are funny things.....and even the shortest of lines can reveal a great deal about a person's underlying feelings or motivations. I think they were both pointing out that the OP may be coming from a position that is a tad delusional. I believe the OP was relating a positive experience and he seems to be speaking "from the heart"....but its kind of hard to get past that ONE LINE.

That one line represents a feeling based on a very real incidents that's happening right before our eyes. I'll agree that it may be an exaggeration, and what we are seeing now will die down, but there is a lot out there that indicates that it's going to continue as well. People celebrating the death of the police officers, ect. And tandom shooting of whities in Tennessee. These are simply actions that match rhetoric that has existed on a much larger scale for a while now. Rhetoric is now turning into action.

That statement is not completely devoid of validity.

That one line represents a feeling based on a very real incidents that's happening right before our eyes. I'll agree that it may be an exaggeration, and what we are seeing now will die down, but there is a lot out there that indicates that it's going to continue as well. People celebrating the death of the police officers, ect. And tandom shooting of whities in Tennessee. These are simply actions that match rhetoric that has existed on a much larger scale for a while now. Rhetoric is now turning into action.

That statement is not completely devoid of validity.
So, is there a literal race war going on or isn't there? Simple question.

If the answer is no, then your friend is simply feeding the hype by spreading exaggerated misinformation.

So there IS a race war going on in America? Where? I'm a white guy....I just spoke to my Black neighbor 15 minutes ago. We didn't try to kill one another. Strange. Btw, before you answer, I'd like to point out that I live in Mississippi....historically one of the most racially divisive regions of our nation.

I'm with you - the race war (so to speak) isn't really a war its a distraction created by politics and others to deter from the bigger issues at hand. I live in an area of the south were it was, at one time, very racist. About 60 years ago - it's time to start living in the now and stop hanging on to the past. I saw an interview last week were people were asked about wars in our world and there were black people today who didn't even know what the civil war was about. Isn't it time to let it go. WE have a black President for goodness sakes.

The American revolution happened with no greater than 3% of the population fighting in it at it's highest levels.

So, is there a literal race war going on or isn't there? Simple question.

If the answer is no, then your friend is simply feeding the hype by spreading exaggerated misinformation.

No, there is not a literal race war but conversely there is not a "nothing to see here" type of environment, either, like you seem to be implying.

The American revolution happened with no greater than 3% of the population fighting in it at it's highest levels.

So? What's your point? 3% of today's population would be 10.5 million people. :roll:

No, there is not a literal race war but conversely there is not a "nothing to see here" type of environment, either, like you seem to be implying.
I haven't implied anything other than people have a tendency to blow things out of proportion on social media and the interwebz. Oh....and I was also implying that there is not a race war going on.

I have been a victim of crime when a passerby found my car unlocked and stole my guitar and tape player. Cassette deck. It's been a while since I haven't locked my car.

I also was the victim of speed trap in which the speed limit on a US Highway was reduced to 30 mph and the local constable gave me a ticket. A real Mayberry moment.

In both cases, I felt like my world had been invaded and tarnished. Losing the guitar was like a personal invasion and the speed trap was like a bullying incident.

Now we find the Race Wars beginning to start and I find that the current events have invaded my life again. Following the events of the recent days, my world is changed on a personal level. I don't like it.

It's hard to define a feeling. I "feel" like there is a separation suddenly erected between me and others. Little things. Postures, averted looks, pretended interest in the cell phone for no reason and all seemingly rising from the presence of different races.

On an elevator yesterday, a Black gentleman in a suit entered the elevator to join myself and another White guy. The other White guy was about my age with long-ish grey hair. Both of us, refugees from the Viet Nam era. The Black Guy seemed to be about 40 years old and seemed uneasy after the elevator doors closed. Any or all of us could have been seated at the same table in a conference room. There were about 20 floors to reach the lobby. He reached for his Apple phone like he suddenly had something to do. He stared at the screen, but did nothing. It seemed to me that there was tension in the air.

I've been on that same elevator many time with many skin colors and many nationalities and never had that feeling before. It was eerie and uncomfortable. I blame the hate mongers and divisionists in our society.

All of this went on in the time it takes to on-board an express elevator and for the doors to shut. 3 or 4 seconds? Seemed like a long 3 or 4 seconds. Everyone on the elevator was tense. Not a big deal, but it was. Why do I have to feel oppressed by the ginned up hatred of the politicians trying to sell their brand of hate? Why are there people dredging up bias and prejudice that is outdated and way past its sell-by date? Why?

I chuckled and offered that the world changed when "we all" got smart phones. The black guy looked at me to find a friendly, albeit, White face and laughed, too. The tension was abated and his posture and facial expression both softened. We agreed that our kids know more about smart phones than we do and that the Pacers are not going to be champs next year or any year to come as Durant is now with the Warriors. Turns out he and I both bought shares of Ford after the recent drop in Stocks.

Point is, if we had gone to the same high school or worked in the same office or went to the same church and knew each other, we probably would have been friends because we share various areas of commonality. However, because of the state of affairs put forth by current events and shaped by the A-holes who shape these things, there was tension between us. No reason. Just because.

This hate crap has intruded into my life and I don't like it.

I think the 'moment' in the elevator was all in your head.

Maybe he had some serious hard **** just happen in his life that left him rattled - and maybe you - random stranger in an elevator who happened to be white - wasn't even a simple blip on his radar.

But... if he did respond to your tension it was because you studied and watched his behavior, taking it all in and judging him, when he'd done nothing more but step into an elevator for a second or two.

It's more like a self-fulfilling prophecy, situations like yours, where one imagines something is going on (when nothing is) and then the only thing going on is from what they've caused by being peculiar with their behavior (like staring at someone else's cellphone and trying to imagine the reasons for their activities) . . . because they imagined the other person was acting strange first, when they weren't.

Last edited:

Not for some of us, we think he was being open and honest and I for one might not classify it as a war but we are in the middle of something significant and he (like I) wonder why? For me, I wonder why it is that we elect the first ever black President in this country and holy heck breaks loose with regards to racial divisions in this country. It's a question that begs to be answered. I'm old enough to remember the 70's and from my perspective, things have gotten progressively better between the races in this country. Is it perfect, no. But the bigger picture isn't about the color of their skin, it is about their crime in their communities, the number without two family homes, the number who are on welfare and other government programs. It is also about the issue with police interactions. They should be treated with the same respect period. But we can't just claim it is a black and white issue. Police are also afraid for their safety. They see what happens on the streets daily. You can't ignore that. You cannot ignore the number of police killed on duty. You can't ignore the black on black crime in our cities and communities. To pretend that this is just about race is in my opinion hard to get past.

So? What's your point? 3% of today's population would be 10.5 million people. :roll:

No, it would be 1.13 million as it's a one-sided thing due to media and race hustlers. It also wouldn't present itself like Armies marching around but just shooting attacks, just like what we are seeing.

Not for some of us, we think he was being open and honest and I for one might not classify it as a war but we are in the middle of something significant and he (like I) wonder why? For me, I wonder why it is that we elect the first ever black President in this country and holy heck breaks loose with regards to racial divisions in this country. It's a question that begs to be answered. I'm old enough to remember the 70's and from my perspective, things have gotten progressively better between the races in this country. Is it perfect, no. But the bigger picture isn't about the color of their skin, it is about their crime in their communities, the number without two family homes, the number who are on welfare and other government programs. It is also about the issue with police interactions. They should be treated with the same respect period. But we can't just claim it is a black and white issue. Police are also afraid for their safety. They see what happens on the streets daily. You can't ignore that. You cannot ignore the number of police killed on duty. You can't ignore the black on black crime in our cities and communities. To pretend that this is just about race is in my opinion hard to get past.
So what does electing a Black president have to do with anything? Did anyone think having a Black president was going to change the hearts and minds of people (of all races) who are victims of hundreds of years of generational mistrust and cultural division?

So, you think if we elect a Baptist Minister as president, everyone's going to turn away from their sinful ways and be saved too? People are so delusional. :doh:

I haven't implied anything other than people have a tendency to blow things out of proportion on social media and the interwebz. Oh....and I was also implying that there is not a race war going on.

This is what people are feed on the news and social media. We are going into an era of significantly increased tensions. We had a Cold War with Russia without ever actually fighting them, yet we have shots fired already here. There is way more here than your "ho hum" attitude makes it seem and it's made worse by profiteers.

I'm hoping that the most recent incidents will act as a wake up call for people to back off on this stuff but I think there are feelings and mentalities that run too deep for that to happen.

No, it would be 1.13 million as it's a one-sided thing due to media and race hustlers. It also wouldn't present itself like Armies marching around but just shooting attacks, just like what we are seeing.

I'm no math major and I may be from Mississippi, but I DO know that the current US population is around 320 million and I DO know that 3% of that IS NOT 1.13 million. :lol:

To be fair....its actually 9.6 million people. Incidentally....if 9.6 million armed citizens took to the streets in organized units, I may consider calling it a "war" at that point.

So what does electing a Black president have to do with anything? Did anyone think having a Black president was going to change the hearts and minds of people (of all races) who are victims of hundreds of years of generational mistrust and cultural division?

So, you think if we elect a Baptist Minister as president, everyone's going to turn away from their sinful ways and be saved too? People are so delusional. :doh:

You'll never change the hearts and minds of all people. Black people are racists too. We don't want to talk about that white elephant in the room but it is true. What does electing the first ever Black President have to do with anything? It has to do with how far we've come and how far we can go. You can't be the first black president without much support from many white voters. It's a plan and simple truth that needs to be told. If you want to know my honest opinion - most white people have moved passed the issue of the color of someone's skin - but it appears that many black people have not. None of us were slaves - sorry none of us. And all of us are born into a world with nothing. What we do from there is up to us. BO had the opportunity to do more for people of color and what has he done? Nothing. If I were black, I'd been up in arms about that.

You'll never change the hearts and minds of all people. Black people are racists too. We don't want to talk about that white elephant in the room but it is true. What does electing the first ever Black President have to do with anything? It has to do with how far we've come and how far we can go. You can't be the first black president without much support from many white voters. It's a plan and simple truth that needs to be told. If you want to know my honest opinion - most white people have moved passed the issue of the color of someone's skin - but it appears that many black people have not. None of us were slaves - sorry none of us. And all of us are born into a world with nothing. What we do from there is up to us. BO had the opportunity to do more for people of color and what has he done? Nothing. If I were black, I'd been up in arms about that.

Actually darn it - I'm a white person and it ticks me off so much that he's done nothing for people of the black race since elected. So much so that I'm spending my time trying to stop it. I'm speaking out against his lack of actions and assistance to raise up the black people of this world. So if that doesn't show you that white people in this country care, I don't know what would.

So, hate to interrupt your diatribe, but I ask again......what does Barack Obama being a Black man have to do with any of this? Nevermind, don't answer. Your bias is shining through. :roll:

Actually darn it - I'm a white person and it ticks me off so much that he's done nothing for people of the black race since elected. So much so that I'm spending my time trying to stop it. I'm speaking out against his lack of actions and assistance to raise up the black people of this world. So if that doesn't show you that white people in this country care, I don't know what would.

You responding to your own posts now?

Last edited:
Only in his head? You're not paying attention, are you? If you had, you wouldn't say it was only in his head. At worse, you could say that he is exaggerating the problem but there is a kernel of truth in there.

No. There is zero kernel of truth to "Now we find the race wars beginning to start." Not even the sliver of skin on the outside of the kernel's shell.

Excellent piece. I suggest you put this in letter form and send it to your nearest newspaper's Letters to the Editor department. There's mich to be learned from it. And much to think about.

I learned that code was uncomfortable because a black guy got on his elevator, and when the black guy looked at his smart phone, it proved we're having a race war

This is what people are feed on the news and social media. We are going into an era of significantly increased tensions. We had a Cold War with Russia without ever actually fighting them, yet we have shots fired already here. There is way more here than your "ho hum" attitude makes it seem and it's made worse by profiteers.

I'm hoping that the most recent incidents will act as a wake up call for people to back off on this stuff but I think there are feelings and mentalities that run too deep for that to happen.
Again, while I agree with your overall premise here, I must take issue with your faulty analogies. You say there were "no shots fired" in the cold war? Really? Proxy wars don't count? Did we not fight the Soviets indirectly and the Chinese head-on at one point? What about the hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese, Koreans, Cubans, Poles, Czechs, AND AMERICANS etc. who died in Cold War conflicts? Don't those count? The media and the Educational System are truly failing the American public...... :(

Back
Top Bottom