• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When it intrudes into my life

Of course, validating the lone wolf "warriors" as participants in a "Race War" gives them something that another aspiring race warrior, Charles Mansion, never achieved in his miserable lifetime--- false legitimacy. Why would we do that? They are murderers who committed hate crimes. And if they survive the robot bombs, they'll be charged as such.

I'm acknowledging that there are those so motivated they are acting on it. We need to stop the causes of that division. Don't be blind to what is going on.

except for lefties ... you carry hate in your heart for them and that's a good thing no?

I don't hate leftists, I hate what they do.

You gotta be kidding me.........

You are thinking small.

There is a entire world out there past the end of your own nose, and a lot of it is really good.

Certainly a lot better than what goes on behind my eyes :lol: I really don't know what you're trying to get at here though; wondering about and trying to understand other people's thoughts and perspective, as I described, is precisely the opposite of what you're describing.

###

I think the 'moment' in the elevator was all in your head.

Maybe he had some serious hard **** just happen in his life that left him rattled - and maybe you - random stranger in an elevator who happened to be white - wasn't even a simple blip on his radar.

But... if he did respond to your tension it was because you studied and watched his behavior, taking it all in and judging him, when he'd done nothing more but step into an elevator for a second or two.

It's more like a self-fulfilling prophecy, situations like yours, where one imagines something is going on (when nothing is) and then the only thing going on is from what they've caused by being peculiar with their behavior (like staring at someone else's cellphone and trying to imagine the reasons for their activities) . . . because they imagined the other person was acting strange first, when they weren't.

I don't know which American teams would apply, but imagine two teams with a long-standing, mostly friendly rivalry: And then over the course of a few months or years a number of killings are highly publicized, almost all by fans of one team against the other. And then two guys in that team jersey are standing in an elevator and a fellow with the other team's jersey steps in too...

Like Albus Dumbledore said, just because something's in your head doesn't mean it's not real ;) Thing is, most American posters here seem to be agreeing that that kind of tension would have been much less likely a decade ago (and for me as an Australian, unheard of until I started frequenting this forum, at least as far as African Australians are concerned).

The point that my old rival Code is making in the OP is that to a large extent that "all in your head" stuff is manufactured: The media, disappointingly but understandably, hype up the racial side of things for the ratings. But would they do so as much if the politicians weren't making 'race' into a big issue? The D-team play racial tensions up to ensure they get a lot of black people's votes (and do little or nothing to make it better for fear of losing those votes if the issues are solved!). The R-team certainly haven't helped by the sheer level of hatred and wild conspiracy theories which have been directed at the current President, and they too do nothing to fix the issues because (I suspect) they are a lot more about urban poverty than skin colour directly, and R-team policies just don't seem to help in that regard.

_Sal mentioned something similar with regard to folk of Middle Eastern appearance. No-one enjoys tension, no-one wants to live in fear, and almost no-one wants to view others primarily by the colour of their skin, but that's where the politicians and the media of many countries seem to be leading us.

I don't hate leftists, I hate what they do.

Love the sinner, hate the sin eh? :lol: Your approach could use some fine-tuning, I think: Any good evangelist could tell you that you need to throw in some stories of personal shame and redemption, so people know that you're not preaching down to them, and emphasise grace and love more than judgement and damnation.

The main thrust from the social warrior set in the last few decades has been to educate us all on how different we are from one another. I was raised to see the similarities and I've always been uncomfortable with this resurgence of highlighting differences.

I think there's been more racial inclusiveness in society, education, media, and government in the last few decades than there has been since the countries inception. But in the last few years there has been a concerted and systemic effort to turn the clock back and start excluding minorities again. It seems to be a backlash to having the first black president.

"race war" nonsense is stormfronter fantasy ****. i can't take the OP seriously after that line, so there's really no point.

Saying "race war is starting" isn't the same thing as wanting a race war.
By all appearances, it's like some people want it to happen.
The perception of these events all revolve around race and violence.

No a race war isn't starting but there are plenty of people stoking racial tensions for personal gain.
Aside from the "race war" part his post was rather good.

So there IS a race war going on in America? Where? I'm a white guy....I just spoke to my Black neighbor 15 minutes ago. We didn't try to kill one another. Strange. Btw, before you answer, I'd like to point out that I live in Mississippi....historically one of the most racially divisive regions of our nation.

Mr. Fluffy....
There's a place in Fort Lauderdale Florida called Wilton Manors. Maybe your community is similar?
Most of the fine folks there regard each other as bands of brothers (or sisters) against a common enemy so brotherhood runs high.
It's so sweet.
Outside of those sweet areas tho, it's not quite as brotherly, unforunately

"Race War" might be a bit exaggerated.

But there is certainly a lot of racial tension.

My wife likes everyone ...to a fault. Social butterfly type....so she was pretty shocked recently when......
First time evah.....in a ladies accessory shop, a young black woman recently told my wife "Sorry, I don't help Caucasians"

WTF?!?

Yep..maybe not a race war....but SOMETHING's going on.

Oh,
For those of you who say there is no race problem.........

Why then is it that RACE is probably the number ONE Democrat talking point ?

And please, let's not pretend to be naive and act as though we don't know exactly who black (and some white) Democrats are talking about when they mention all those "evil" Republicans.

Bad things aren't being avoided because bad things is exactly what those people want. Last year BO invited the founders of BLM into the White House essentially green lighting the whole mess. This whole mess is a repeat of the 60's and is a product of liberalism.

You are talking about the sound of one hand clapping.

There is no doubt that there IS a very pronounced race problem in the country.

However, the sound of the clapping to borrow the idea from Ghandi, includes both hands, but one is black and the other is white.

Our politicians see this as a great wedge issue so what they find, they amplify and enhance pouring gasoline on any little flame that might be there.

Our leaders have found one issue they can use that they can use that works every time.

Works every time. Not much different than showing a pretty girl to sell a tire. Vote for me. I hate that guy, too.

got ya

went to the mall last week and saw two middle eastern men fully garbed and felt fear in my heart for no other reason than how they were dressed

I checked them out...they were speaking together and laughing over a lottery ticket and the one guy did a little quick step dance of joy and I felt shame

I HATE that I felt fear, I hate it

This is exactly my thought. Where have these thoughts come from?

I don't like that our prancing preachers of hate that have appointed themselves to be our national conscience have decided that the best thing they can do to get re-elected is to make everyone hate each other.

Listen to and read everything they say and you will find in virtually every message the nugget is Us vs. Them.

It's always "he has more" or "he's keeping you from getting yours".

Their message, it seems to me, should be that this course, that they define and recommend, is how we can work together to build a better community or country or whatever level they are campaigning on.

Their message usually is that we could build a better community, but we can't because those people over there are holding us back. If we could just get rid of them, then everything else would be okay.

Dividing does not unify.

Differences should be celebrated and welcomed. Why is our national awareness turning more toward exclusion than inclusion?

But it's exaggerated statements just like yours that people easily buy into which helps to create and feed this type of public frenzy that we're now seeing. You seem like a fairly intelligent guy.....can't you see that?

I see it very clearly as I wrote in the OP.

I see it and I don't like it.

Do you think that there is not race problem in the USA?

Do you think that the manifestations of the race problems are not becoming more pronounced in recent days?

I think the 'moment' in the elevator was all in your head.

Maybe he had some serious hard **** just happen in his life that left him rattled - and maybe you - random stranger in an elevator who happened to be white - wasn't even a simple blip on his radar.

But... if he did respond to your tension it was because you studied and watched his behavior, taking it all in and judging him, when he'd done nothing more but step into an elevator for a second or two.

It's more like a self-fulfilling prophecy, situations like yours, where one imagines something is going on (when nothing is) and then the only thing going on is from what they've caused by being peculiar with their behavior (like staring at someone else's cellphone and trying to imagine the reasons for their activities) . . . because they imagined the other person was acting strange first, when they weren't.

Still, I imagined it on Friday and not on previous days.

You could be right.

This is exactly my thought. Where have these thoughts come from?

I don't like that our prancing preachers of hate that have appointed themselves to be our national conscience have decided that the best thing they can do to get re-elected is to make everyone hate each other.

Listen to and read everything they say and you will find in virtually every message the nugget is Us vs. Them.

It's always "he has more" or "he's keeping you from getting yours".

Their message, it seems to me, should be that this course, that they define and recommend, is how we can work together to build a better community or country or whatever level they are campaigning on.

Their message usually is that we could build a better community, but we can't because those people over there are holding us back. If we could just get rid of them, then everything else would be okay.

Dividing does not unify.

Differences should be celebrated and welcomed. Why is our national awareness turning more toward exclusion than inclusion?

well I am not American but I can tell you it is not just your country doing so

and there was a time where we seemed to believe that it took a whole village to make it work

now it seems like it's as you say: my side right, your side wrong and if I get the "might" then I am right and if you suffer even if I make you suffer it's your own fault that you weren't strong enough to overcome me

it's all about making the self strong and standing on the backs of the weaker regardless of what makes that weakness

part of me thinks it may be due to the large number of boomers (I am one) were taught life is tough, go out and make it happen...then we told the next generation (our kids) I will make your road smooth...I will give you everything

now we are mired

I think there's been more racial inclusiveness in society, education, media, and government in the last few decades than there has been since the countries inception. But in the last few years there has been a concerted and systemic effort to turn the clock back and start excluding minorities again. It seems to be a backlash to having the first black president.

I disagree and believe that illustrates part of the current historical blindness. Where we are today is part of cultural evolution flowing at the same rate throughout history. Choices that were made 100, 200 years ago, we're seeing their fruit. But it's an ongoing thing. Unlike England, where black folks free from slavery chose to become part of the greater English culture and were persistent in that, here in America a racial sub culture was formed. We're now in the midst of a racial culture conflict.

The choices made today will affect the cultural conditions 100 years from now.

"Race War" might be a bit exaggerated.

But there is certainly a lot of racial tension.

My wife likes everyone ...to a fault. Social butterfly type....so she was pretty shocked recently when......
First time evah.....in a ladies accessory shop, a young black woman recently told my wife "Sorry, I don't help Caucasians"

WTF?!?

Yep..maybe not a race war....but SOMETHING's going on.
Sorry, but if your wife being refused service once in her life constitutes a "race war" then we've been in perpetual a "race war" since our nation was born. Stop it with the hyperbole already. Mentalities such as this only exacerbate an already volatile environment.

part of me thinks it may be due to the large number of boomers (I am one) were taught life is tough, go out and make it happen...then we told the next generation (our kids) I will make your road smooth...I will give you everything

now we are mired

That's part of it I think. But it's not the line you've drawn, more of a natural continuum. Each generation works to make things better for the next. But the tipping point is where things become so good the current generation doesn't need to labor, or learn the lessons of labor.

That's part of it I think. But it's not the line you've drawn, more of a natural continuum. Each generation works to make things better for the next. But the tipping point is where things become so good the current generation doesn't need to labor, or learn the lessons of labor.

and that has been a part of the result for sure

it is a continuum and we slide back and forth on it

but things are currently very unstable in the world and people are uncertain and those with eyes and understanding need to heed it

I see it very clearly as I wrote in the OP.

I see it and I don't like it.

Do you think that there is not race problem in the USA?

Do you think that the manifestations of the race problems are not becoming more pronounced in recent days?

Are you kidding me?? You cannot be this obtuse. "More pronounced" in recent days??? Do you think we've ever NOT had race problems in America? Hello? Slavery? Reconstruction? Lynchings? Jim Crow? Segregation? Civil Rights Movement? Long Hot Summer of '64? Watts Riots? LA Riots? Should I go on? But race PROBLEMS does not equal a race WAR. Stop with the hyperbole already!

If you're intelligent, you must ask yourself.....What is the difference with recent events? Simple....irresponsible 24-hr corporate media (there is no real news any longer) coupled with idiots on social media, and to top it off, yay....its a presidential election year. THIS IS NOT A RACE WAR....nor will it be, unless the American people are so stupid as to be duped into one (which I am now beginning to believe is highly possible) :doh.

and there was a time where we seemed to believe that it took a whole village to make it work

now it seems like it's as you say: my side right, your side wrong and if I get the "might" then I am right and if you suffer even if I make you suffer it's your own fault that you weren't strong enough to overcome me

it's all about making the self strong and standing on the backs of the weaker regardless of what makes that weakness

now we are mired

Sometimes great ideas come from unlikely sources.

In a science fiction series on TV, the captain of the spaceship said that any society could be judged by how it treats the weakest of its number.

He was referring to how a child is treated by parents and teachers. I think it could also be applied to the sick or disabled.

Somehow, in Western Society, "weakest" has been changed to read "poorest".

I know many people who are working very hard for not too much. However, the "not too much" that they are getting is more than anyone in their family ever got before and they are very pleased and proud to be getting it.

There is a great thing derived by fulfilling potential. Even if the potential is not great. If we remove all of the obstacles and equalize all the rewards, that is not, it seems to me, a good thing.

I am not rich. I have worked my whole life starting with a paper route at age 11 and not suffered any life changing accidents or illness AND I live in the USA so I live better than anyone lived in the world before 1850.

I am happy and I feel like I have accomplished something. To judge that I am not rich enough and give me the option to accept charity amounting to more than I could earn devalues what I have earned.

The money is only one part of the value that is received by a person who works for a living. When I have worked for something, whether it is an earned wage or a good work out, it gains value.

Giving me something that costs me nothing automatically defines down the perceived value. I value more highly those things that I have worked to get.

now we are mired

One of the many things I love about this board is that there are so many folks from around the world that share their thoughts with me unselfishly and openly.

I would have no access to this kind of global thinking without this board.

Thank you to those who run the board and to those who post here.

Are you kidding me?? You cannot be this obtuse. "More pronounced" in recent days??? Do you think we've ever NOT had race problems in America? Hello? Slavery? Reconstruction? Lynchings? Jim Crow? Segregation? Civil Rights Movement? Long Hot Summer of '64? Watts Riots? LA Riots? Should I go on? But race PROBLEMS does not equal a race WAR. Stop with the hyperbole already!

If you're intelligent, you must ask yourself.....What is the difference with recent events? Simple....irresponsible 24-hr corporate media (there is no real news any longer) coupled with idiots on social media, and to top it off, yay....its a presidential election year. THIS IS NOT A RACE WAR....nor will it be, unless the American people are so stupid as to be duped into one (which I am now beginning to believe is highly possible) :doh.

Every example, save one, that you gave was from at least 50 years ago. The LA riots happened about 20 years ago.

Does this tell you anything?

There has been an amazing move forward in race acceptance in this country in my life time, born in 1953. Of course, there was a lot of room to make up.

Brown v Board of Education was rendered in 1954.

The LA Riots happened in the 90's. The rest you list culminated in the 60's. You demonstrate my point by your litany.

Our political leaders on both sides are trying to get us back to the 60's and we need to be aware of this.

Why are we suddenly turned to a regression from the ideal instead of a progression toward continued improvement?

One of the many things I love about this board is that there are so many folks from around the world that share their thoughts with me unselfishly and openly.

I would have no access to this kind of global thinking without this board.

Thank you to those who run the board and to those who post here.
so true...I second that

Back
Top Bottom