• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Starcraft II

This is true. They're really milking it. In fact, the first one is $60, so if the pattern holds it'll be a total of $180, not $150.

Still, Starcraft was one of my favorite games ever. There's really no way I'd end up not buying the sequel.

Furthermore, considering the current retail price of the Starcraft Warchest, SC2 is never going to come down to reasonable prices within reasonable amounts of time. It's $20 for a game that's over a decade old! INSANE. It's pretty much $150 or nothing. I can't stomach that. I'm still playing Team Fortress 2 (I think Chevy plays too) and that cost me $30 and I get lots of free updates. Once they sucker you into the first release, they got you for the next two.

This is true. They're really milking it. In fact, the first one is $60, so if the pattern holds it'll be a total of $180, not $150.

Still, Starcraft was one of my favorite games ever. There's really no way I'd end up not buying the sequel.

I think of this like TA. TA was like SC, but better gameplay, but less story. Then Supreme Commander came out as essentially TA2, and guess what...it sucked. Nice bells and whistles, but the game just never really worked. For some reason, RTS sequals are just fail. Look at Age of Empires as another example. Awesome first game, and then suck, suck and more suck.

Well, yeah; but it's not upfront! I've been playing WoW since March 2006 and so the price is spread over several years.

Furthermore, considering the current retail price of the Starcraft Warchest, SC2 is never going to come down to reasonable prices within reasonable amounts of time. It's $20 for a game that's over a decade old! INSANE. It's pretty much $150 or nothing. I can't stomach that. I'm still playing Team Fortress 2 (I think Chevy plays too) and that cost me $30 and I get lots of free updates. Once they sucker you into the first release, they got you for the next two.

I quit WoW around Christmas of 2007 because it was dull. Maybe it was because I was a warlock (and I was pimp at the game), but the challenge was gone. Multiple gladiator seasons, a practical inability to be beaten 1 on 1, and I was nicknamed the "Terror of Redridge" when I was in my lowbie gank phase. I even loved watching all these rogues brag in front of Orgrimmar about how they could beat me in a duel, only to try and fail. One of my rogue buddies told me "it was like hitting steel" while he was white-critting me for 140 and 5-point eviscerating me for triple digit scores. Same thing with my shadow priest. The only rogues that could beat me were undead who popped Will of the Forsaken along with trinket and every cooldown possible.

After a long stint of leading the mentalist boards in Dark Age of Camelot and owning up WoW, I'm really waiting for the next big fantasy PvP game to catch my eye. Starcraft never did a whole lot for me.

15 bucks a month is chump change if you get your money's worth. I mean, I used to play it from anywhere between 3 and 10 hours a day, depending on if I worked, went to school, had a girlfriend, etc. You could EASILY spend that much going out for one dinner, or two matinees at the theater, or any other number of activities.

If you love the game, it's a worthwhile and small investment. And in the case of Guild Wars, you get what you pay for. I went there when I quit WoW. I left almost immediately.

Exactly. I know entire families that play together. They form guilds, good times! It's a strange way to build memories but at least they're not all isolated with their own computer, or iPod, or TV or movies, or whatever. They still do all those things, but they play together and have fun doing it.

I know a grandma who taught her 4 y/o grandson to fish, and then she couldn't get the game out of his hands. <G> He LOVES fishing on her toon.

I've been kicked out of so many guilds it's not funny. The only guilds I were never kicked out of were the hardcore PvP guilds, and that's because we're all a bunch of rowdy, cocky, in-your-face assholes who always challenge and duel each other.

In one of the PvE guilds, I was kicked out for calling the GM a *****. She wouldn't duel me. Bitch.

She thought she was better than me because all my epics were from PvP and not because I stayed up until 3am to farm that one place. I can't remember the name. The one where you had to fly into it with your flying mount, and one of the bosses was this big undead guy who chases you around and belches and farts green gas, and those four horseman guys.

I hear ya. I can't be bothered with raiding. I'm quite proud of my BE rogue, Shivera (Quel'dorei, if you wish to armory her). Yes, she's mostly covered in PvP purples (all, actually - I think) but I'd gladly do that any day rather than go through the pain that is raids, the whole "well, your 189th in line behind Dave, Steve, Dan and Virgo for the <insert epic purplie here> but then yeah, dude; rock on!"

Naw, man.

Actually, my rogue is the one character I had that I would've considered raiding with, since the rogue's benefit is damage and agility over hit points and constitution. Personally, if I was in a guild that could raid...I think it's Black Temple? The one with Illidan that drops those twin legendary (orange) swords? Yeah, I would've been all over that. Not to mention that you're much more limited as a rogue if you have 12,000 hit points and 2,000 attack power as opposed to 9,000 hit points and 5,000 attack power. I was a warlock, so all that bonus resilience, hit points, and enhanced survival served me well.

I can't think of anything that would get me into a raid. Too many people acting like their momma done raised them poorly in there. Or maybe I've just had bad luck and/or heard about it over the trade channel.

Actually, my rogue is the one character I had that I would've considered raiding with, since the rogue's benefit is damage and agility over hit points and constitution. Personally, if I was in a guild that could raid...I think it's Black Temple? The one with Illidan that drops those twin legendary (orange) swords? Yeah, I would've been all over that. Not to mention that you're much more limited as a rogue if you have 12,000 hit points and 2,000 attack power as opposed to 9,000 hit points and 5,000 attack power. I was a warlock, so all that bonus resilience, hit points, and enhanced survival served me well.

I think you are talking about the twin warblades of Azeroth. It is sad when I know the weapon you are talking about just by the bosses name lol

And I pretty much raided in most of my time of WOW. Very rarely would I switch guilds, I've never been kicked from one but have left a few voluntarily.
And you'd be surprised at how bad some GM's are over vent in raids, they go -crazy- if something goes wrong and start screaming. But then there was some of the really cool ones that would just tell everyone what they are doing wrong. Not DPS'ing fast enough etc.

I hated PVP. Alliance ****ing sucked. They rarely spoke to one another, didn't know the meaning of teamwork if you slapped it around their face. I played PVP on my mage about 20 times tops as a 80

I have 5 alliance 80's, and 5 horde 80's, all on the same server. Tons of fun. If one side is on a losing streak, I just flip factions.

Laila said:
I think you are talking about the twin warblades of Azeroth. It is sad when I know the weapon you are talking about just by the bosses name lol

Well, three years ago I would've known too, but time away from the game will cause you to lose a few steps. Yeah, that's it though.

And I pretty much raided in most of my time of WOW. Very rarely would I switch guilds, I've never been kicked from one but have left a few voluntarily.
And you'd be surprised at how bad some GM's are over vent in raids, they go -crazy- if something goes wrong and start screaming. But then there was some of the really cool ones that would just tell everyone what they are doing wrong. Not DPS'ing fast enough etc.

Yeah, I couldn't handle anyone screaming over vent like that. I mean, I could understand it in PvP where you need quick reactions, but PvE is so simple once you get out of the planning stage. It's not like you need the quickest of reflexes to raid. Man is indeed the most dangerous game.

The worst was when I joined a top raiding guild that had a woman as the GM. The only reason me and my buds were in it is because her husband, which I guess could be a co-GM, wanted the guild to be viable and recognized in PvP as well. He actively recruited me and a couple of the other guys in my 5v5 gladiator team, one of which had an "in" with him. On very rare occasions I would be a "placeholder" for them if I had nothing going on, like if they had planned 25 (usually not 10 because there would always be enough on) man raids and one was running late. The beginning bosses which they had either done before or weren't known to be hard, I would help them with. I even chalked up a few of those DKP thingies I never used, kept track of, or cared about.

Anyway, sometimes when I would hold a place and then a replacement would come so I could go back to smacking around players instead of AI monsters, I would stick around in Vent after I had left the raid. She would just GO OFF on some of these people. It was hilarious. The only thing funnier was when I heard that guy who did the Onyxia raid and wiped. If you haven't seen/heard it yet, go to youtube and do a search for "Onyxia wipe animation". I mean, she would get personal and stuff. It wasn't simply "no you're doing it wrong" or "I need x to go here and y to go there". It was really personal, offensive stuff that would make Eddie Murphy blush. Funniest damn thing.

I hated PVP. Alliance ****ing sucked. They rarely spoke to one another, didn't know the meaning of teamwork if you slapped it around their face. I played PVP on my mage about 20 times tops as a 80

Depends on the server. There were some times where Horde owned everything, and I was also on a server before where Horde couldn't win an Arathi Basin match with a 5 minute head start.

WoW can start it's own damn thread if there isn't one already.

Five days to SC2 release! Woo!
People who have been complaining about SC2 being too "easy" for "noobs" are insane. Take some of the old SC1 pros who can click accurately about 4 times per second. Give them tools to require less attention for base management, so now they have even more brainpower and mouse availability for kicking your ass. Then try and tell me it's too easy.

SC2 has a fast-pace to it. Bases ramp up faster, mobility and map control have improved, and the balance is surprisingly good for a game that hasn't even been released yet. (remember that SC1 wasn't even close to balanced until Brood War, and even then it took a couple years of tweaking) So what if the ability to click faster than an over-caffeinated meth addict has been de-emphasized? It's great.

Plus, the Galaxy Editor is ****ing amazing. Even with just the beta resources, people have made flight simulators and first-person shooters. One guy made a diablo-style map where the dungeon is procedurally generated. Another made a physics demo where you roll a baneling around a bunch of hills and it reacts realistically.

Real men play Random.

Have fun! I never was able to play, nothing but error messages.

I'd just like to thank Blizzard for the not-so-subtle jab at Fox News in the single-player campaign. It's hilarious.

I'd just like to thank Blizzard for the not-so-subtle jab at Fox News in the single-player campaign. It's hilarious.

Ugh. I hate it when that kind of thing happens. I play video games to escape that kind of ****.

Though I haven't played it yet, and I make an exception if it's actually funny beyond being a left-wing crowd-pleaser. (And it doesn't help that it's always left-wing. Either speaks to which ideological group has more restraint, or more likely, which one completely dominates the entertainment industries.)

Really, thats awesome!

You having fun in there?

How can people familiar with Blizzard not know about how they steal ideas from others? This should've been clear since doing the quest in that area where dinosaurs live, and the quest reward is "Linken's Magical Sword" or "Linken's Boomerang". Your choice.

Even if you have just passing knowledge of the Zelda series, that sounds familiar.

Steal ideas? It's a tip of the hat! I love how they throw in easter eggs all over the place. Did you know the entire Bambi family of characters is in a field in Northrend? It's adorable!

How can people familiar with Blizzard not know about how they steal ideas from others? This should've been clear since doing the quest in that area where dinosaurs live, and the quest reward is "Linken's Magical Sword" or "Linken's Boomerang". Your choice.

Even if you have just passing knowledge of the Zelda series, that sounds familiar.

Ugh. I hate it when that kind of thing happens. I play video games to escape that kind of ****.

Though I haven't played it yet, and I make an exception if it's actually funny beyond being a left-wing crowd-pleaser. (And it doesn't help that it's always left-wing. Either speaks to which ideological group has more restraint, or more likely, which one completely dominates the entertainment industries.)

It's not really that much of a "crowd-pleaser." The news organization in-game is a parody of a state-controlled propaganda-wing media. They use the "fair and balanced" and "we report, you decide" tag lines. There's one or two from CNN also. In-context, it's pretty funny.

Anchor: "And what about the civilian casualties that Raynor's group caused?"
Reporter: "Actually, the only collateral damage seems to have come from overzealous Dominion forc-"
Anchor: "Thank you, [reportername], you heard it here first! Raynor's terrorists killing unarmed civilians!"

This game is awesome and you should buy it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom