• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So, is it horrible that I'm not going?

Exactly. It's ruining our country. And we hide this idiocy behind the curtain of "Women's sexual freedom"... and then women complain there are no good guys. Well duh... women are creating the very monsters they hate.

They give themselves away to men freely, teaching them that they can have sex without any hint of responsibility, and then women are shocked men don't want to take responsibility?

How is this shocking? This cycle has to stop, or the nation will be ruined for sure.

Pardon me, but what are you all talking about?

Pardon me, but what are you all talking about?

The prior poster was talking about how we should have common law marriage, where if you just shack up and live together, you are magically 'married'. Essentially making marriage meaningless and pointless.

I disagreed, and we went on from there.

People need to quit worrying about "this magical meaning of marriage." What one person may consider "married," another person may not.

Methinks that one should remove the mote from their eye before they start complaining about another's. :shrug:

People need to quit worrying about "this magical meaning of marriage." What one person may consider "married," another person may not.

Methinks that one should remove the mote from their eye before they start complaining about another's. :shrug:

Ding! That's my whole point. If marriage means anything you want it to mean, then it means nothing. Which is exactly what we see in society today. We need to get back to where marriage is not defined by whatever crap you think, and make it mean what it was supposed to mean. One man.... One woman... until *DEATH* do we part.

Ding! That's my whole point. If marriage means anything you want it to mean, then it means nothing. Which is exactly what we see in society today. We need to get back to where marriage is not defined by whatever crap you think, and make it mean what it was supposed to mean. One man.... One woman... until *DEATH* do we part.

Who made you the arbiter of what marriage should or should not be? You have no right to tell someone that they don't have the same right to marry as you do. That's not your concern. Keep your nose in your own marriage vows and you won't have time to stick your nose in the marriage vows of others.

-----------------
Well, that sounds like a pretty tough task there, Sparky.
What with the epidemic in divorces and extra-marital affairs.
Even DOMA leader Bob Barr has been divorced.

My cousin is getting married in three weeks. I got the invite and it's "black tie optional ".

They are getting married at The Elms and they put on the invite that you could reserve a room. Now, my cousin is 40, never been married, yet it registered at all these hoity toity places. I always thought if someone was older when they got hitched, they really didn't do this? I don't know? I thought the point of registering was to let people know what you need as far as household items because you're starting out? ... Or am I antiquated in my thinking?

She's an attorney for the DoD and he is some high ranking military officer. They're both in their 40s, with lived in their own for years... this wedding is a big deal, and my mom called yesterday asking if the kids and I we're going. She seemed upset when I told her no.

I can't afford (honestly ) the trip to the wedding, a room to stay over and a gift from one of these high brow stores. My son has a suit, but it certainly isn't a tux and it's not a black suit to fit the black tie optional...so there's another expense. My cousin and I are not close.

Missouri Resorts | The Elms Hotel & Spa, Kansas City

Is it horrible that I don't go and just send a card and some money...? It want be a lot if money either...lol...just saying.

I don't think that it's horrible that you're not going.

You have to put your immediate family ahead of the happy couple.

To me it sounds like those two don't need anyone's help.

Who made you the arbiter of what marriage should or should not be? You have no right to tell someone that they don't have the same right to marry as you do. That's not your concern. Keep your nose in your own marriage vows and you won't have time to stick your nose in the marriage vows of others.

When I care what you think, I'll send you a memo. Don't like my position? Thanks for letting me know. I'll file that in the "when I give a rip" box.

Too bad I can vote, eh?

-----------------
Well, that sounds like a pretty tough task there, Sparky.
What with the epidemic in divorces and extra-marital affairs.
Even DOMA leader Bob Barr has been divorced.

Right, and that needs to change. We need to have marriage actually mean marriage. Instead of absolutely nothing, which is what it means to most people.

Exactly. It's ruining our country. And we hide this idiocy behind the curtain of "Women's sexual freedom"... and then women complain there are no good guys. Well duh... women are creating the very monsters they hate.

They give themselves away to men freely, teaching them that they can have sex without any hint of responsibility, and then women are shocked men don't want to take responsibility?

How is this shocking? This cycle has to stop, or the nation will be ruined for sure.

Most adults know how to use birth control and avoid STDs and we're having more fun and better relationships than the people who consider marriage a form of long-term prostitution.

When I care what you think, I'll send you a memo. Don't like my position? Thanks for letting me know. I'll file that in the "when I give a rip" box.

Too bad I can vote, eh?

So what you are saying is your opinion is more valid than mine? Get off your high horse. Your's isn't the only opinion, even if it is old and backwards and archaic.

Right, and that needs to change. We need to have marriage actually mean marriage. Instead of absolutely nothing, which is what it means to most people.
------------

I don't agree with your assessment of the decline of marriage--marriage's significance has always been in the eye of the beholder/participant.
But you seem like a civil poster...with the possible exception of your last response to Superfly:)
Good luck pushing that marriage/moral boulder up that endless hill, my friend.
Your quads are gonna be huge!!

Honestly, I'm hopeful for the future of marriage, now that DOMA has been struck down.

Most adults know how to use birth control and avoid STDs and we're having more fun and better relationships than the people who consider marriage a form of long-term prostitution.

The nice thing about actual real marriage is that you don't need to avoid STDs or have Birth Control. Now you can if you want to, but if you think you are having great sex, by wrapping yourself in rubber, you are kidding yourself.

AIDs would be wiped out in one generation if everyone only had sex with their spouse, and didn't divorce.

Lastly, as far as you having more fun, and a better relationship than others in Marriage, oh please..... EVERY SINGLE SURVEY of unmarried people screwing around, shows they are not as happy as committed long term married couples. EVERYONE! If it was just ya know, 1 in 10 surveys, or even half, or if there was a single survey that showed unmarried people having as much fun as married couples, that would be something. But it's zero. Not one single time does research show unmarried shack ups being as satisfied as married people.

Marriage makes people happier than six figure salaries and religion - Telegraph

This one JUST CAME OUT.... May of 2013. Once again, consistently, universally...... married people are always more happy and satisfied with life and report better sex lives, than unmarried cohabiting couples.

Again.... if there was even ONE JUST ONE!!! That showed what you said to be true, then I could at least see you trying to make the case. But there is not even ONE that shows what you say to be true.

This is like people who believe the Earth was flat. The evidence was overwhelming, and consistent, over thousands of years, yet they believed religious dogma. Now in our "enlightened" age of science..... we have had endless research and studies since the 1970s, showing married, faithful, couples who waited for marriage to have sex, consistently report being happier in their relationships, happier in having sex, happier with their families, and have the lowest levels of divorce. And we've had this information for now over 40 years.... and STILL people want to deny it.

"The Earth really is flat because I'm happy with my unmarried shack up girl friend, and boy friend, that has no real commitment to me, and I have no real commitment to her, but we're happier than married people, despite 40 years of evidence and statistics to the contrary.... and that's my dogma, and I'm sticking to it by god!"

Well maybe you alone, are the one exception to the rule. I don't believe it, but hey, maybe you are. That doesn't change the fact that for the general population, real marriage results in the best, and most happy and satisfying sex, and relationship. It's a fact. It's proven. It's been shown true for more than 40 years, and I for one will support that.

How the heck did a discussion about attending a wedding turn into a discussion about STD's and flat earth?

I love the internet.

So what you are saying is your opinion is more valid than mine? Get off your high horse. Your's isn't the only opinion, even if it is old and backwards and archaic.

Read your prior post....

That was snotty, jerk of post, by someone who came across more like a toddler screaming at his mommy "You can't tell me to pick up my blocks!".

That was not a discussion post. You effectively said to me...... "Your opinion is not valid. You don't have the right to talk about it!"

And then when I ignore you, you say "So what you are saying is your opinion is more valid than mine? Get off your high horse."

You don't realize that this exactly what you did to me in the prior post? Your prior post was you telling me my opinion wasn't valid. That only you on your high horse was allowed to speak on the topic.

Isn't it funny how when someone does to you, what you do to others, you can't handle it?

Well guess what darling...... I'll add this post to your last one, in the "when I give a rip" basket.

When you want to talk decently and discuss something, I'll respond decently and discuss something. When you want to be a jerk, I'll put you in your place... the trash bin. Good bye.

"The Earth really is flat because I'm happy with my unmarried shack up girl friend, and boy friend, that has no real commitment to me, and I have no real commitment to her, but we're happier than married people, despite 40 years of evidence and statistics to the contrary....

You don't need to have a piece of paper to have a commitment. Just because not all people stay committed in "live-in" relationships, that doesn't mean that no one in a "live-in" relationship is committed. My husband and I lived together for 4 years before getting married, and I see no difference in our life at all from when we lived together, and when we got married. It was just a piece of paper.

Sure, some married people are happy. I, as a married woman, am happy. But I would be equally as happy, and equally as committed, without that piece of paper. :shrug:

Also, just because the Telegraph says that married people are happier, that doesn't necessarily mean they are happy for very long.

divorce.jpg

I have 3 daughters, and would encourage them to live with a partner, without the benefit of clergy, until they are certain that they want to commit to marriage. It's the only way to truly know a person.

Read your prior post....

That was snotty, jerk of post, by someone who came across more like a toddler screaming at his mommy "You can't tell me to pick up my blocks!".

That was not a discussion post. You effectively said to me...... "Your opinion is not valid. You don't have the right to talk about it!"

And then when I ignore you, you say "So what you are saying is your opinion is more valid than mine? Get off your high horse."

You don't realize that this exactly what you did to me in the prior post? Your prior post was you telling me my opinion wasn't valid. That only you on your high horse was allowed to speak on the topic.

Isn't it funny how when someone does to you, what you do to others, you can't handle it?

Well guess what darling...... I'll add this post to your last one, in the "when I give a rip" basket.

When you want to talk decently and discuss something, I'll respond decently and discuss something. When you want to be a jerk, I'll put you in your place... the trash bin. Good bye.

:lamo

Somebody needs a drink.

Attachments

• britney-spears-shaved-head-7015501.jpg
    britney-spears-shaved-head-7015501.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 39
You don't need to have a piece of paper to have a commitment. Just because not all people stay committed in "live-in" relationships, that doesn't mean that no one in a "live-in" relationship is committed. My husband and I lived together for 4 years before getting married, and I see no difference in our life at all from when we lived together, and when we got married. It was just a piece of paper.

Sure, some married people are happy. I, as a married woman, am happy. But I would be equally as happy, and equally as committed, without that piece of paper. :shrug:

Also, just because the Telegraph says that married people are happier, that doesn't necessarily mean they are happy for very long.

View attachment 67149564

I have 3 daughters, and would encourage them to live with a partner, without the benefit of clergy, until they are certain that they want to commit to marriage. It's the only way to truly know a person.

Divorce is going up because people live together before they are married. The divorce rate for a couple that has never had sex prior to marriage, is 10%. You sleep with one person, one time before getting married, and the chance of divorce is 50%, and goes up from there.

Just a fact.

:lamo

Somebody needs a drink.

Another jerk of post. I'll file that with your first two, in the "Give a rip" basket. Keep going girl. You are, what your posts reveal you to be.

That was awesome! :lol:

The nice thing about actual real marriage is that you don't need to avoid STDs or have Birth Control. Now you can if you want to, but if you think you are having great sex, by wrapping yourself in rubber, you are kidding yourself.

AIDs would be wiped out in one generation if everyone only had sex with their spouse, and didn't divorce.

Lastly, as far as you having more fun, and a better relationship than others in Marriage, oh please..... EVERY SINGLE SURVEY of unmarried people screwing around, shows they are not as happy as committed long term married couples. EVERYONE! If it was just ya know, 1 in 10 surveys, or even half, or if there was a single survey that showed unmarried people having as much fun as married couples, that would be something. But it's zero. Not one single time does research show unmarried shack ups being as satisfied as married people.

Marriage makes people happier than six figure salaries and religion - Telegraph

This one JUST CAME OUT.... May of 2013. Once again, consistently, universally...... married people are always more happy and satisfied with life and report better sex lives, than unmarried cohabiting couples.

Again.... if there was even ONE JUST ONE!!! That showed what you said to be true, then I could at least see you trying to make the case. But there is not even ONE that shows what you say to be true.

This is like people who believe the Earth was flat. The evidence was overwhelming, and consistent, over thousands of years, yet they believed religious dogma. Now in our "enlightened" age of science..... we have had endless research and studies since the 1970s, showing married, faithful, couples who waited for marriage to have sex, consistently report being happier in their relationships, happier in having sex, happier with their families, and have the lowest levels of divorce. And we've had this information for now over 40 years.... and STILL people want to deny it.

"The Earth really is flat because I'm happy with my unmarried shack up girl friend, and boy friend, that has no real commitment to me, and I have no real commitment to her, but we're happier than married people, despite 40 years of evidence and statistics to the contrary.... and that's my dogma, and I'm sticking to it by god!"

Well maybe you alone, are the one exception to the rule. I don't believe it, but hey, maybe you are. That doesn't change the fact that for the general population, real marriage results in the best, and most happy and satisfying sex, and relationship. It's a fact. It's proven. It's been shown true for more than 40 years, and I for one will support that.

Roughly 50% of marriages end in divorce, so it obviously isn't as happy for everyone as you suggest. The statistics you mention show that people who are happily married are happy. Nearly all marriages experience some infidelity during the course of the marriage, although that doesn't necessarily mean that the marriage is destroyed.

Also, it doesn't have to just be just one choice or the other. Many of us enjoyed our single years and now enjoy our marriages or other long term relationships. Nothing against marriage, but It doesn't sound like a happy relationship if a couple needs the government to enforce the continuity of their relationship.

As to people who have only had one partner in their lives, one has to conclude that they just don't know what they may have missed. If they are happy with that, good for them, but most people don't want to live such a life, they want more from life.

Last edited:
Thanks for your permission.

Why do people care so much about other people's relationships anyway? Why can't people just let other people make their own decisions about their relationships and other such personal matters for themselves.

Like the nosy neighbor always peering over the fence to see what all their neighbors are doing, meanwhile his own wife is messing around. :lamo

Back
Top Bottom