• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

So, is it horrible that I'm not going?

You don't need to have a piece of paper to have a commitment. Just because not all people stay committed in "live-in" relationships, that doesn't mean that no one in a "live-in" relationship is committed. My husband and I lived together for 4 years before getting married, and I see no difference in our life at all from when we lived together, and when we got married. It was just a piece of paper.
·
·
·​
67149564-so-horrible-im-not-going-divorce.jpg

I have 3 daughters, and would encourage them to live with a partner, without the benefit of clergy, until they are certain that they want to commit to marriage. It's the only way to truly know a person.

It's notable that the very sharp, tragic increase in the divorce rate shown in your graph occurred with the “sexual revolution” of the 1960s—with the rise of exactly the attitudes which you are expressing and defending.

Last edited:
Or worse, such as…

The characterization of genuine, committed-for-life marriage as “a form of long-term prostitution” isn't even shocking by the standards of our culture, which only goes to show how degraded our culture has become. It's no wonder that we have such a high rate of divorce, infidelity, bastardy, general acceptance of all forms of sexual immorality, and now, “gay marriage”, and all the ills that these are bringing upon our society. It is all part of the same evil.

People "shacking up" and doing even "worse" things have gone on throughout history. Let people be and mind your own business.

Yet even though the OMG DON'T HAVE SEX OR YOU WILL GET AIDS!1!11 scare stopped people from having free sex in the 80s, that divorce rate is still extremely high. Extremely high. If anything, the divorce rate shouldn't have anything to do with the sexual revolution, because from what I understand, people were not that interested in getting married. Just having sex.

Yet even though the OMG DON'T HAVE SEX OR YOU WILL GET AIDS!1!11 scare stopped people from having free sex in the 80s, that divorce rate is still extremely high. Extremely high. If anything, the divorce rate shouldn't have anything to do with the sexual revolution, because from what I understand, people were not that interested in getting married. Just having sex.

They were all evil don't you know? Only evil people don't want to or don't get married. :lol:

church_lady_satan.jpg

Or worse, such as…

The characterization of genuine, committed-for-life marriage as “a form of long-term prostitution” isn't even shocking by the standards of our culture, which only goes to show how degraded our culture has become. It's no wonder that we have such a high rate of divorce, infidelity, bastardy, general acceptance of all forms of sexual immorality, and now, “gay marriage”, and all the ills that these are bringing upon our society. It is all part of the same evil.

I was referring to the ideal that women should use the prospect of sex to lure a man into a life sentence of marriage for her financial stability when I said "long-term prostitution," not a healthy marriage of loving equals who choose their partner without hidden agendas.

My cousin is getting married in three weeks. I got the invite and it's "black tie optional ".

They are getting married at The Elms and they put on the invite that you could reserve a room. Now, my cousin is 40, never been married, yet it registered at all these hoity toity places. I always thought if someone was older when they got hitched, they really didn't do this? I don't know? I thought the point of registering was to let people know what you need as far as household items because you're starting out? ... Or am I antiquated in my thinking?

She's an attorney for the DoD and he is some high ranking military officer. They're both in their 40s, with lived in their own for years... this wedding is a big deal, and my mom called yesterday asking if the kids and I we're going. She seemed upset when I told her no.

I can't afford (honestly ) the trip to the wedding, a room to stay over and a gift from one of these high brow stores. My son has a suit, but it certainly isn't a tux and it's not a black suit to fit the black tie optional...so there's another expense. My cousin and I are not close.

Missouri Resorts | The Elms Hotel & Spa, Kansas City

Is it horrible that I don't go and just send a card and some money...? It want be a lot if money either...lol...just saying.
You're a horrible person and you should probably kill yourself.

Oops, I meant to say you not going is perfectly ok and they should be understanding. Damn auto correct ;)

Yeah being 40 y/o, you shouldn't be registering anywhere, and you should be paying for your own wedding. If you're well off, you should be offering to cover your less-than-fortunate family...because it's about the family being there to support your vows, not a popularity contest. IMO that should be part of the cost of the wedding. You know damn well they're paying more for the caterer and music than what your plane tickets and a decent room for a couple days would cost.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom