• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question re firearms in Illinois

There aren't many old long guns someone put in a garage worth alot of money and certainly not more than her Mom's life.
How do you know, you ever see the gun in question?
No matter the fact that Maggie dont like the guy, its still his property.
Does he have a car? Shall we take the tires off?
An iron? Better have the cable removed.
Any knives? Ball bats? Better put boxing gloves on him to, heavy ones so he cant move his arms.

Well, if he is not hitting the range every weekend. I doubt he will notice.
I think he will notice it gone or having expoxy poured down the barrell, dangerous.
But I would hate to see a gun of value, ruined by some knee jerk action of an old lady.

Just exactly what's the knee-jerk reaction here? Is it the idea that some senile, angry pickled old man could get angry enough to use that gun against my mom or me or himself? Or perhaps it's because it's an illegal firearm? Or maybe because, if he EVER shot it, it was 50 years ago? Or is it because he's threatened my life? Just what's knee-jerk??

How do you know, you ever see the gun in question?
No matter the fact that Maggie dont like the guy, its still his property.
Does he have a car? Shall we take the tires off?
An iron? Better have the cable removed.
Any knives? Ball bats? Better put boxing gloves on him to, heavy ones so he cant move his arms.

The value of the gun is irrelevant, and if it is illegal then it is no different than if he was storing illegal drugs at her mother's house. If a person discovered someone is keeping illegal drugs at their aged mother's house, the person can ethically destroy the drugs, throw them away, or call the police. It doesn't matter if they are highly valuable illegal drugs. Illinois isn't like Florida. It is highly restrictive on firearms possession and ownership.

An 85 year old mean old alcoholic possibly also in early stages of dementia is like dealing with a child. Children can't keep dangerous toys and Maggie's concern is about her mother. Because of his age and her mother's age, Maggie is more in a parental role towards her mother. However, those are delicate matters to deal with.

No one recommended pouring epoxy down the barrel.

A gun is just a thing, an object, and that "long gun" is worth $200 or $300 at the most. But that doesn't matter. It is no different than "children" who disable a car in a way not easily repairable when they have a very aged parent who can no longer safely drive by putting water in the gas tank or some other way to prevent the elderly parent no longer competent to drive without the conflicts of reporting them to the police. Doing so not only is to protect that very aged parent, but everyone else too.

Maggie is one of the most level headed members of the forum. Stick around and you'll figure that out.
And you have inspected the gun in question? You are sure its not an original Henry, or Winchester 1873?
And heck, lets just get rid of all old crabby bastards as well while we are at it.
I am sure she wants her mother to be safe, my suggestion is to do it in a way that he probably wont notice.
Rendering someone else property totally and irrevocabley damaged is a crime in it self.
Pouring water in a gas tank can have long term effects on a car, causing thousands of dollars of damage you have no right to do.
Take the damn keys, or the battery out.
Or better yet actually have a mechanic do it to where it will take another mechanic alot of time to fix. Not screw it up permenatly.

Just exactly what's the knee-jerk reaction here? Is it the idea that some senile, angry pickled old man could get angry enough to use that gun against my mom or me or himself? Or perhaps it's because it's an illegal firearm? Or maybe because, if he EVER shot it, it was 50 years ago? Or is it because he's threatened my life? Just what's knee-jerk??

Being willing to damage someone elses property.
Did he actually threaten you with said gun? Call the police and have him Baker Acted and tresspassed from the property.
How is it illegal? Because you THINK it is, or do you have legal standing to make that claim? Is there grand fathering clauses from so long ago that you may not know?
Take it and hide it? What if he calls the police? Then what, you going to hide a stolen gun forever?
Damage it, and he calls the police. You sure you can get ALL your fingerprints off of it?
Go ahead, damage it or take it. Then tell us how pissed he is. Whats to stop him from buying a brand new shiney firearm? Age? Nope.
You have posted before you dont like this man, I think your dislike of him is clouding your good judgement.

And you have inspected the gun in question? You are sure its not an original Henry, or Winchester 1873?
And heck, lets just get rid of all old crabby bastards as well while we are at it.
I am sure she wants her mother to be safe, my suggestion is to do it in a way that he probably wont notice.
Rendering someone else property totally and irrevocabley damaged is a crime in it self.
Pouring water in a gas tank can have long term effects on a car, causing thousands of dollars of damage you have no right to do.
Take the damn keys, or the battery out.
Or better yet actually have a mechanic do it to where it will take another mechanic alot of time to fix. Not screw it up permenatly.

You place too much importance on property or too little on life.

What I think is a bad idea is her transporting the firearm any where. That could be that bad luck day where she's pulled over and something triggers a search and then running the gun number, or the gun shop getting suspicious and calling the police. Illinois is NOT forgiving about excuses about illegal gun possession. And that is what Maggie would be doing. If he denied it was his particularly she could be in a real legal mess - a very serious one.

The gun shop would NOT disable it unless she said it's her's - and if so she may have just talked herself into a firearms conviction as the gun shop would likely be very suspicious of someone wanting a firearm disabled - then calling the police asking for their advice.

She should locate where the gun is in the garage and call the police. Ideally, she could forget to close the garage door and ask the police to keep her anonymous. It is likely her Mom would say ok if the police asked to look around the garage where they would just happen to find it.

Police are familiar with the unique issues of dealing with elderly folks and would likely be willing to keep her out of it. For example, there is a good chance they'd knock on her Mom's door, say they noticed the garage door open never mentioning Maggie, and ask if they could check to see if anything looks like it's been stolen - when they "discover" the unregistered gun. Problem solved.

The best way to do this for Maggie is IN PERSON at the police station, not in a telephone call. Already have the garage door open, and tell them the situation and where the rifle/shotgun is at, asking them if they could keep her out of it.

If SHE decides that is not the right course, then I advise disabling the gun permanently in a way he won't detect. Screw the value of the gun as that is relatively speaking irrelevant.

Thinking of it, I STRONGLY advise to NOT transport it, NOT take it to a gun shop and NOT take it the police. She should never have it in her possession.

Last edited:
Her fingerprints could be all over the rifle/shotgun and that wouldn't prove she did anything to it but looked at it, which isn't illegal.

She could just smile and say "oh no, I certainly wouldn't do anything to that gun of that 85 year-old alcoholic threatening my Mom and me" - and the police would probably wink at her and give him a police report number, taking the firearm as "evidence." :)

You place too much importance on property or too little on life.

What I think is a bad idea is her transporting the firearm any where. That could be that bad luck day where she's pulled over and something triggers a search and then running the gun number, or the gun shop getting suspicious and calling the police. Illinois is NOT forgiving about excuses about illegal gun possession. And that is what Maggie would be doing. If he denied it was his particularly she could be in a real legal mess - a very serious one.

The gun shop would NOT disable it unless she said it's her's - and if so she may have just talked herself into a firearms conviction as the gun shop would likely be very suspicious of someone wanting a firearm disabled - then calling the police asking for their advice.

She should locate where the gun is in the garage and call the police. Ideally, she could forget to close the garage door and ask the police to keep her anonymous. It is likely her Mom would say ok if the police asked to look around the garage where they would just happen to find it.

Police are familiar with the unique issues of dealing with elderly folks and would likely be willing to keep her out of it. For example, there is a good chance they'd knock on her Mom's door, say they noticed the garage door open never mentioning Maggie, and ask if they could check to see if anything looks like it's been stolen - when they "discover" the unregistered gun. Problem solved.

The best way to do this for Maggie is IN PERSON at the police station, not in a telephone call. Already have the garage door open, and tell them the situation and where the rifle/shotgun is at, asking them if they could keep her out of it.

If SHE decides that is not the right course, then I advise disabling the gun permanently in a way he won't detect. Screw the value of the gun as that is relatively speaking irrelevant.

Thinking of it, I STRONGLY advise to NOT transport it, NOT take it to a gun shop and NOT take it the police. She should never have it in her possession.
I think you are being alittle over dramatic.
The police will not search, if they have half a brain without cause and proably a warrant. Iam also sure people by guns all the time and transport them safely to home.
What happens when the guy comes home and finds the cops rummaging through his things? He may know where the gun is and make a grab for it.
Is his life not worth anything?
You are hearing one side of the story. She has posted her dislike of this man before, so we have to take that into account when reading her dilemma.
And why would the gun shop call the police, "Hi, I have this old gun. I dont use it but would like to render it safe and temporarily inoperable".
Yea, I can see that raising all kinds of red flags. LOL. Its actually not that uncommon. The problem is most people end up losing the firing pin.

Her fingerprints could be all over the rifle/shotgun and that wouldn't prove she did anything to it but looked at it, which isn't illegal.
According to you "she would be in possesion of it".
Also, if this man is paying ANY rent, which is a problem she posted before. Why is she in his part of the home? Did she give notice? Is SHE the landlord, property manager?
You are adovcating theft with the aid of the police.

The value of the gun is irrelevant, and if it is illegal then it is no different than if he was storing illegal drugs at her mother's house. If a person discovered someone is keeping illegal drugs at their aged mother's house, the person can ethically destroy the drugs, throw them away, or call the police. It doesn't matter if they are highly valuable illegal drugs. Illinois isn't like Florida. It is highly restrictive on firearms possession and ownership.

An 85 year old mean old alcoholic possibly also in early stages of dementia is like dealing with a child. Children can't keep dangerous toys and Maggie's concern is about her mother. Because of his age and her mother's age, Maggie is more in a parental role towards her mother. However, those are delicate matters to deal with.

So every old vet that lives in that state is a criminal that still has a service weapon from decades ago?
Good luck making that stick.
I suggest you read every line of Illinois gun laws before you start calling certian guns illegal.

The police will not search, if they have half a brain without cause and proably a warrant. Iam also sure people by guns all the time and transport them safely to home.
What happens when the guy comes home and finds the cops rummaging through his things? He may know where the gun is and make a grab for it.
You are hearing one side of the story. She has posted her dislike of this man before, so we have to take that into account when reading her dilemma.
And why would the gun shop call the police, "Hi, I have this old gun. I dont use it but would like to render it safe and temporarily inoperable".
Yea, I can see that raising all kinds of red flags. LOL. Its actually not that uncommon. The problem is most people end up losing the firing pin.

What you don't know: I have Power of Attorney on both my mom and John. That makes my stealing the gun irrelevant and, actually, impossible. It's obvious you don't have any older family in your life for whom you're responsible.

What you don't know: He doesn't pay rent. He doesn't pay utilities. He pays nothing. He is a guest in her home according to Illinois law. (He does keep a list of the money he's gifted her over 9 years -- when he "wins at the gambling boat" he gives her money -- he's also paid half for a few major purchases...last one being a washer/dryer. He carries it in his wallet. Amounts to around $36,000 over nine years. He asserts that, in order for my mom to get him to leave the home, he wants all of his money back. He's a crazy old fool. And, you're right. I don't like him. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to take responsibility for people we don't like.

What you don't know: I have Power of Attorney on both my mom and John. That makes my stealing the gun irrelevant and, actually, impossible. It's obvious you don't have any older family in your life for whom you're responsible.

What you don't know: He doesn't pay rent. He doesn't pay utilities. He pays nothing. He is a guest in her home according to Illinois law. (He does keep a list of the money he's gifted her over 9 years -- when he "wins at the gambling boat" he gives her money -- he's also paid half for a few major purchases...last one being a washer/dryer. He carries it in his wallet. Amounts to around $36,000 over nine years. He asserts that, in order for my mom to get him to leave the home, he wants all of his money back. He's a crazy old fool. And, you're right. I don't like him. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to take responsibility for people we don't like.

No just quit my job and everything esle when I was 24 to take care of my cancer striken mother. Gee, what whould I know?

He is no kin to you, you dont "have to" do a damn thing.
Define, crazy old fool. Has he actually threatened you or your mother with said gun? OR implied a threat?
"Kick my out and I will kill you". Anything like that?
And I bet if you read the law, as long as you have given him a place in your home and taken anything in return that he can prove.
You would be up the creek if you take and or damage anything with malicious intent.
Denying 2A rights to people we dont like is a slippery slope.
You are getting your carry permit right, you have a FOID card, right? You have a gun already right?
How is transporting that gun, with your FOID card in your wallet going to get you in any trouble?
Sorry, but the tone of your post tells me this is more about you not liking this guy more than anything.

No just quit my job and everything esle when I was 24 to take care of my cancer striken mother. Gee, what whould I know?

He is no kin to you, you dont "have to" do a damn thing.
Define, crazy old fool. Has he actually threatened you or your mother with said gun? OR implied a threat?
"Kick my out and I will kill you". Anything like that?
And I bet if you read the law, as long as you have given him a place in your home and taken anything in return that he can prove.
You would be up the creek if you take and or damage anything with malicious intent.
Denying 2A rights to people we dont like is a slippery slope.
You are getting your carry permit right, you have a FOID card, right? You have a gun already right?
How is transporting that gun, with your FOID card in your wallet going to get you in any trouble?
Sorry, but the tone of your post tells me this is more about you not liking this guy more than anything.

Well, you're right about one thing: I don't like him. He's bullied my mother for 40 years. (The first ten were pretty good. Ha!) Some things you never forget. My mom tried many times through the years to break up with him. On several of these occasions, he threatened to come knock on my front door and blow me away. (He was a very heavy drinker at that time.) Though I encouraged her to ignore his threats, Mama Bears have a tendency to protect their cubs. She called the cops on him a few times; but I wasn't smart enough at that time to lead her to get a TRO. For whatever reason, their relationship has endured.

But now mom is sick. She's staying with me right now. He wants her back pronto because he knows that, if I take mom in permanently, he'll have to actually, you know, pay for a place to live -- because I'll be selling her home. Although he has plenty of money (like $400K+, plus control of his brother's $1 million), he says he'll never buy her home. And will move out when he's ready.**

This is a very complicated situation. One I didn't create. But I will most certainly solve it. I think, frankly, what I'm going to do is first find out if it's a real gun as opposed to an air rifle. (I'm just not sure, as mom doesn't know.) If it's a real gun, I'm going to do as several have suggested: Be upfront with John and tell him I'm having the cops come get it. OR offer to buy it for $100 -- and then turn it in. I don't want it.

**Regardless of the law, I want to treat John with respect. I have many mixed feelings about John. What kind of person would I be if I wanted to destroy him? I don't. He's been in my mom's life for 50 years. For many of them, they've been happy. And, for whatever his demeanor has been over the years, it obviously served a purpose for my mom.

It's complicated, Crue. I have to solve problems one at a time. The first one is that his life is likely to begin changing in ways he will completely resent. I don't want him to have access to a gun.

Most firearms I have I've never fired (most I inherited). I've never fired most new or used ones I've bought.

People gather and collect all sorts of things. Doing so with firearms makes more sense than most. Think of all the worthless nicknacks and other dust collectors people have all over their house that aren't worth 10% of what they paid for it the minute after they bought it.

As an inheritor I understand or even an investor but I don't see them as household nicknacks that decorate a house. For $300-$800 a pop I'd personally rather own something I could use more but like I said having a couple around for personal defense is sensible.

Mom's 85-year-old friend you've heard about on here has a long gun in mom's garage. I don't know what kind it is -- shotgun? rifle? airgun? But mom is telling me "it's a gun." He's an old fool. Doesn't have a FOID. I made him sell the old guns he had in his home when he sold it two years ago. In the process, he was trying to load one, and the guy buying them threatened to call the police if he loaded it. Did I say he's an old fool?

I don't want him to have access to a gun, so I want to go into the garage when he's not "home" - he lives with mom - and remove it (unless it's an air gun). I have a FOID. Can I throw it in my trunk and take it to my house? Seems like I can if it's unloaded and in a case. What? I have to buy a case to take it? It's certainly never been registered. I don't know if I personally am required to only have a registered gun in my possession...?

Does anyone know?

Is this the City of Chicago or the burbs, or the boonies? It makes a difference. As far as the old man goes, he sounds like he's potentially a danger to himself and others. A psych eval might be the best approach. Depending on where you are, I might be able to give you a few numbers to get something like that done.

Removing the firing pin would make it known to him the gun was sabotaged, which could outrage him. She might as well paint "disabled" on the stock.

In addition, that may make it worthless unless she gives the firing pin back to him as those often are not available for older models. The gun either needs to be disabled in a way he doesn't know that's what happened or it needs to disappear.

Since it is unlicensed if a license required, just call the police on him.

But basically stealing won't piss him off?

Well, you're right about one thing: I don't like him. He's bullied my mother for 40 years. (The first ten were pretty good. Ha!) Some things you never forget. My mom tried many times through the years to break up with him. On several of these occasions, he threatened to come knock on my front door and blow me away. (He was a very heavy drinker at that time.) Though I encouraged her to ignore his threats, Mama Bears have a tendency to protect their cubs. She called the cops on him a few times; but I wasn't smart enough at that time to lead her to get a TRO. For whatever reason, their relationship has endured.

But now mom is sick. She's staying with me right now. He wants her back pronto because he knows that, if I take mom in permanently, he'll have to actually, you know, pay for a place to live -- because I'll be selling her home. Although he has plenty of money (like $400K+, plus control of his brother's $1 million), he says he'll never buy her home. And will move out when he's ready.**

This is a very complicated situation. One I didn't create. But I will most certainly solve it. I think, frankly, what I'm going to do is first find out if it's a real gun as opposed to an air rifle. (I'm just not sure, as mom doesn't know.) If it's a real gun, I'm going to do as several have suggested: Be upfront with John and tell him I'm having the cops come get it. OR offer to buy it for $100 -- and then turn it in. I don't want it.

**Regardless of the law, I want to treat John with respect. I have many mixed feelings about John. What kind of person would I be if I wanted to destroy him? I don't. He's been in my mom's life for 50 years. For many of them, they've been happy. And, for whatever his demeanor has been over the years, it obviously served a purpose for my mom.

It's complicated, Crue. I have to solve problems one at a time. The first one is that his life is likely to begin changing in ways he will completely resent. I don't want him to have access to a gun.
I do not , not understand your position.
But taking or damaging something. Even a gun, is a crime if it does not belong to you. That is just one more piece of ammo, for lack of a better term to us against you in having him evicted.
Because that is what it is, an eviction.
An air rifle, may not be a killer. But can certianly do damage you do not want.
If you think your mother is not going to be able to go back there and live on her own. Get a lawyer to handle all communication between you two as well.
You may find out that he being there that long, gives him some rights you may not be aware of.
I know down here, if someone is getting mail at your home for I think 6 months. You just cant kick them out.
You have to go through the eviction process.
I know you want him out of your life, and I know you want what is best for you mother. Just at this point dont do anything that could make a hostile situation even worse.
Have him served, let him either move or find a lawyer on his own.

Is this the City of Chicago or the burbs, or the boonies? It makes a difference. As far as the old man goes, he sounds like he's potentially a danger to himself and others. A psych eval might be the best approach. Depending on where you are, I might be able to give you a few numbers to get something like that done.
There ya go, get a bead on what options are available while your mother is out of the home and living with you.

No, people don't commonly have a firearm disabled but keep it. Literally she would be walking into a felony she otherwise had committed.

It is not an illegal search and now warrant is necessary if the Mom gives permission. Most people know that.

If he is so unstable he'd grab for the gun with police present, then absolutely that gun needs to go or be disabled.

According to you "she would be in possesion of it".
Also, if this man is paying ANY rent, which is a problem she posted before. Why is she in his part of the home? Did she give notice? Is SHE the landlord, property manager?
You are adovcating theft with the aid of the police.

"Theft" is always ok if it is "with the aid of the police."

If you have power of attorney do any thing you want to with the gun OTHER than transporting it if that is illegal in Illinois.

No, people don't commonly have a firearm disabled but keep it. Literally she would be walking into a felony she otherwise had committed.

It is not an illegal search and now warrant is necessary if the Mom gives permission. Most people know that.

If he is so unstable he'd grab for the gun with police present, then absolutely that gun needs to go or be disabled.
How many working gunsmiths do you know?
I know a few and they have disabled old guns for people that didnt want to get rid of guns, but wanted them safe in the home.

You have a real challenge on your hands, Maggie. Kudos to you for caring about your Mom, both her needs and emotions. Many seniors have nobody who cares, other than vulture relatives who only want the estate while their aged relative is still alive.

Do see what kind of firearm it is IF you can do so safely since your Mom isn't there. I'd suggest not going alone. You could call the police upon finding it - and then tell John "I didn't know it was YOUR gun. I just knew my Mom didn't have one and didn't know who put it there. Sorry."

HOWEVER, it may NOT be illegal for some reason and then what? I still like epoxy/disabling it if you feel it is a danger. Not all solutions are with the government and sometimes the government creates more problems than it solves.

If you decide he has to leave, obviously hire an attorney and if there is a threat let the attorney take care of it - probably would get a protective order and I think in Illinois that means no firearm. However, I understand why you don't want to pursue this for your Mom's sake at this point in time too.

HOWEVER, I gather if your Mom's health improves she'll go back home and she'll probably want him there - whether that is a good thing or not. So your only choice may be whether to try to do something about the gun or not. I suspect it's going to be some old bolt action rifle, cheap .22, or an old shotgun. Nothing of value.

Do you think he is explosive violent tempered? Or in early dementia? If so, the greatest danger likely is to kids around there probably. Some teen wandering around at night or such he decides is a criminal or just makes him really angry.

Suicide is also a possibility and that would be a horrible thing for your Mom to walk in on someday. We know someone whose elderly husband blew the top of his head off with a shotgun in the living room after a stroke that left him half paralyzed. The wife came home and walked in on that horror scene.

Last edited:
How many working gunsmiths do you know?
I know a few and they have disabled old guns for people that didnt want to get rid of guns, but wanted them safe in the home.

There is no reason for her to take that legal risk in Illinois.

Back
Top Bottom