• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question re firearms in Illinois

I really don't know how it works in her state.

What I can't find is whether or not every gun has to be registered. If it does? Well, this one surely is not. I know if it's OLD, like before 1900, it doesn't have to be. But this gun isn't that old. It says a gun may be transported in the trunk of one's car, unloaded in a gun case. I'm still thinking I'm just going to call the cops, though. I'm not going to buy a case. And, with my luck, I'd wrap it in ten towels, put it in the trunk and then, for some lightning strike, get caught with it. MaggieD a felon!!! :rofl

What I can't find is whether or not every gun has to be registered. If it does? Well, this one surely is not. I know if it's OLD, like before 1900, it doesn't have to be. But this gun isn't that old. It says a gun may be transported in the trunk of one's car, unloaded in a gun case. I'm still thinking I'm just going to call the cops, though. I'm not going to buy a case. And, with my luck, I'd wrap it in ten towels, put it in the trunk and then, for some lightning strike, get caught with it. MaggieD a felon!!! :rofl
Many states call those antique weapons. Or wall hangers.
Prior to 1900 he may not even be able to get ammo for it.
Sounds like the worst he could do is use it as a club.
And I would not be surprised that at the advent of the foid cards, there was not some sort of grandfathering in of old guns.
Also, if its worth any real money. He sounds like the type that would know that and really go off the deep end if someone took it or messed with it and ruined it.
Post a pic of it.
Sorry I miss read, you say its NOT older than 1900?
Either way post a pic. If he was in WWII and brought back a Garand or original M1. In great shape those guns are worth a pretty penny.
Not that, that trumps your safety or the safety of your mother. But if knows the value, you could be in a world of trouble messing with his property.
My bet he is just an all bark no bite old bastard looking down the barrell of his lifes end.

Last edited:
Many states call those antique weapons. Or wall hangers.
Prior to 1900 he may not even be able to get ammo for it.
Sounds like the worst he could do is use it as a club.
And I would not be surprised that at the advent of the foid cards, there was not some sort of grandfathering in of old guns.
Also, if its worth any real money. He sounds like the type that would know that and really go off the deep end if someone took it or messed with it and ruined it.
Post a pic of it.
Sorry I miss read, you say its NOT older than 1900?
Either way post a pic. If he was in WWII and brought back a Garand or original M1. In great shape those guns are worth a pretty penny.
Not that, that trumps your safety or the safety of your mother. But if knows the value, you could be in a world of trouble messing with his property.
My bet he is just an all bark no bite old bastard looking down the barrell of his lifes end.

The value of M1s has been falling fast. An average condition WWII vintage is now under a grand. I have dozens of them left to me as an inheritance. If I could only have 1 rifle the rest of my life, it'd be an M1. Not because they are the finest or best, but the most versatile. Rugged. Unlimited cheap ammo and largest ammo choices. Cheap parts. Many custom parts. Can pretty much do anything you would need a rifle to do.

Pre-1900 firearms can bring huge premiums due to not having to register it in any way. An premium condition 1890s double action Colt 38 special is worth over twice that of a vintage one after 1900 for that reason. Those big caliber Russian revolvers also can bring high dollar for that reason (I can't remember if they are a 44 or 45?)

I bought an old clean German .32 LONG revolver for $100 at a gunshop. Double action. Old ammo usually can be found on gunbrokers.com, but for the costs you're not going to be using it as a target gun. The bitch is trying to find old black powder shells and bullets. For the most part that's do-it-yourself or not at all.

Last edited:

Chicken! :lol:

Srly, Good decision.:thumbs:

It occurred to me that there is a small chance it is a black powder muzzle loader, which is likely not regulated even in Illinois but also poises little risk.

Back
Top Bottom