• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question re firearms in Illinois

Let him keep his gun. It may be there for sentimental reasons. Just steal all his shells.

If I'm not mistaken, are you the poster that said John might be joking with what he'd said about the dog and mom? If that doesn't ring a bell, then forget this post. But if it is? Then I have to say that you are a very compassionate man, Fisher. I'm all out of that with this guy -- and I know I need to find some. Maybe I'll steal some from you. ;)

To all -- Thank you!! I'm leaning in the direction of being upfront with him and buying it from him to get rid of it. If he'll sell it. He thinks everything he owns is worth a fortune. I don't want the damned thing -- I just don't want HIM to have it. Things are likely to come to a crescendo here shortly. I don't trust him. If he won't sell it to me for $100 or something, I'll call the coppers on him. ;) (I actually had to do that to get rid of about 75# of 50-year-old fireworks he had in his attic.)

John is sort of like the crazy boyfriend a young girl brings into the family circle that causes nothing but problems. He's been in mom's life for 40+ years. Some things you never forget. Like when mom was trying to break up with him and he told her if she did he would come to my house and shoot me. No kidding. Add that his brain's probably fried from being an alcoholic for 40+ years, too? And it's a recipe for disaster. When John doesn't get what he wants, there's hell to pay. He's bullied my mom for all these years; and that's about to end. Thus the concern.

Aren't you surprised? I mean I'm a very level headed person. And this sounds like something out of CSI-Chicago.

I do feel sorry for you, Mags.

The FOID bull**** and the draconian gun laws there are pathetic.

Let him keep his gun. It may be there for sentimental reasons. Just steal all his shells.

Damn, I wish I had thought of that.

If I'm not mistaken, are you the poster that said John might be joking with what he'd said about the dog and mom? If that doesn't ring a bell, then forget this post. But if it is? Then I have to say that you are a very compassionate man, Fisher. I'm all out of that with this guy -- and I know I need to find some. Maybe I'll steal some from you. ;)

People in that age range don't have much left in life but their pride, so I don't encourage people to step on it just because they can. Time sorts the rest out.

And please do not allege I suffer from this thing you call "Compassion". You will ruin my reputation up in here :catapult:

IL. is a dicotome like most big and purple states, bipolar if you will. 14 counties are currently ignoring the 9-month waiting period for concealed-carry to be implemented and will not prosecute cases from the State Police.
I'm just thinking that Illinois isn't exactly the poster state for the 2nd Amendment so might it not be a better idea to make that argument to him first and have him sell it to you (with a receipt)?

People in that age range don't have much left in life but their pride, so I don't encourage people to step on it just because they can. Time sorts the rest out.

I demand you stop making me feel bad.

I will try to remember that, Fisher. I know it's true.

I demand you stop making me feel bad.

I will try to remember that, Fisher. I know it's true.

Well, if it will make you feel better, a woman recently told me that the knowledge that she could have tripped her mother-in-law down the basement steps and totally have gotten away with it anytime she wanted to brought her so much joy that it kept her from ever actually doing it to the old battleaxe. :2razz:

I'm with joko. Pour some salt water in it. Remove the bolt. Remove the hammer. Any number of ways to disable a rifle.

It is ridiculous and dangerous.

If you understand guns and apply common sense, it can be easily understood by most rational folks.

This is again not fantasyland or the the internet, but the real world that is being discussed.

Walk into your local gun store, ask them, and they will tell you the same thing.

It is common sense.

Disabling a firearm is not ridiculous at all in her situation. Since she is not a gunsmith nor desiring to be one, that is a very viable option.

Not everyone worships firearms like they have some right-to-life. She has expressed concerns of an alcoholic, anger-control issues, possibly derelict old man might use a firearm and in the setting of her mother. But also concerned of his temper otherwise. Thus, disabling it is a valid alternative.

You can keep posting "fantasyland" all over the forum if you enjoy doing so, but it accomplishes nothing.

Mom's 85-year-old friend you've heard about on here has a long gun in mom's garage. I don't know what kind it is -- shotgun? rifle? airgun? But mom is telling me "it's a gun." He's an old fool. Doesn't have a FOID. I made him sell the old guns he had in his home when he sold it two years ago. In the process, he was trying to load one, and the guy buying them threatened to call the police if he loaded it. Did I say he's an old fool?

I don't want him to have access to a gun, so I want to go into the garage when he's not "home" - he lives with mom - and remove it (unless it's an air gun). I have a FOID. Can I throw it in my trunk and take it to my house? Seems like I can if it's unloaded and in a case. What? I have to buy a case to take it? It's certainly never been registered. I don't know if I personally am required to only have a registered gun in my possession...?

Does anyone know?
Take it to a gunsmith and have it rendered safe. ie useless, put it back.

IL. is a dicotome like most big and purple states, bipolar if you will. 14 counties are currently ignoring the 9-month waiting period for concealed-carry to be implemented and will not prosecute cases from the State Police.

9 month waiting period?!

for the law to be implemented from the override of the governor's veto last month--the state police want 9 months to implement
9 month waiting period?!

I'm with joko. Pour some salt water in it. Remove the bolt. Remove the hammer. Any number of ways to disable a rifle.

It may be an old gun that is worth alot of money, having the firing pin removed will not damage the value or get you in a ton of trouble for damaging someone elses property. Just because you think he is an old fool.

Drunks with anger issues should not be allowed to possess any guns. Maggie may be saving her mother's life , the lives of neighbors, or for that matter even her own by taking this weapon away.
All power to you Maggie.

I've been amazed by the recent (last decade) of firearm fanaticism in the world. I can see someone who enjoys hunting, firearm practice, LEO, ex military or even collectors but having more than 3-5 guns and rarely using them seems a little wasteful. Having 1-2 for household defense or for a mental comfort in case of social unrest I understand better.

I've known a bunch of people who had several nice, high end automatics that they fired enough to become familiar with and even carried one to work for safety but admitted they most likely would never use them much.

Most firearms I have I've never fired (most I inherited). I've never fired most new or used ones I've bought.

People gather and collect all sorts of things. Doing so with firearms makes more sense than most. Think of all the worthless nicknacks and other dust collectors people have all over their house that aren't worth 10% of what they paid for it the minute after they bought it.

Drunks with anger issues should not be allowed to possess any guns. Maggie may be saving her mother's life , the lives of neighbors, or for that matter even her own by taking this weapon away.
All power to you Maggie.

If he is an actual drunk, not hearsay, and has anger mental problems. Have HIM removed from the premises. Damaging his gun may enrage him.

It may be an old gun that is worth alot of money, having the firing pin removed will not damage the value or get you in a ton of trouble for damaging someone elses property. Just because you think he is an old fool.

There aren't many old long guns someone put in a garage worth alot of money and certainly not more than her Mom's life.

If he is an actual drunk, not hearsay, and has anger mental problems. Have HIM removed from the premises. Damaging his gun may enrage him.

Removing him isn't easy to do, particularly if her Mom keeps letting him come back.

He never need know his gun was damaged. An epoxied bolt is never coming out and no clue why.

Disabling a firearm is not ridiculous at all in her situation. Since she is not a gunsmith nor desiring to be one, that is a very viable option.

Not everyone worships firearms like they have some right-to-life. She has expressed concerns of an alcoholic, anger-control issues, possibly derelict old man might use a firearm and in the setting of her mother. But also concerned of his temper otherwise. Thus, disabling it is a valid alternative.

You can keep posting "fantasyland" all over the forum if you enjoy doing so, but it accomplishes nothing.

Disabling by pouring epoxy in the barrel is. If there is anything in there that is not supposed to be there and he manages to get a shell into it, it will explode upon firing. My brother tried cleaning as much mud out of a barrel as he could and then just blowing out the little bit that was left, and it blew out the barrel alright, just not out the end.

Disabling by pouring epoxy in the barrel is. If there is anything in there that is not supposed to be there and he manages to get a shell into it, it will explode upon firing. My brother tried cleaning as much mud out of a barrel as he could and then just blowing out the little bit that was left, and it blew out the barrel alright, just not out the end.

Correct, no epoxy down the barrel.

If he notices it's gone, I will tell him I have it at my house. If he reports it stolen, he won't do that without telling me, and I'll remind him he doesn't have a FOID and it's a felony. That besides the fact that it's my mom's garage it's stored in. If he would report it stolen? He'd have sealed his fate with me and solved an ongoing problem.

I don't think they'd press charges when I explained the circumstances. Cognitively impaired cranky old man with an unlicensed firearm. If I was contacted about it, I'd explain everything and offer to give it back. And ask the coppers to arrest him when I handed it to him.

Seriously, does that make sense? Your opinions?

Edit: Stole it?? Officer! I took it for safe-keeping.

Well, you said he's an old fool. He just might teport it stolen, no matter what the consequences could be.

If you think you could get away with taking it to your house, then take it to a gunsmith, have the firing pin removed and put it back.

Removing him isn't easy to do, particularly if her Mom keeps letting him come back.

He never need know his gun was damaged. An epoxied bolt is never coming out and no clue why.
Its not hers to damage. Render safe/inoperable is one thing. But damaging someone elses property is always a bad idea.

Well, you said he's an old fool. He just might teport it stolen, no matter what the consequences could be.

If you think you could get away with taking it to your house, then take it to a gunsmith, have the firing pin removed and put it back.

Removing the firing pin would make it known to him the gun was sabotaged, which could outrage him. She might as well paint "disabled" on the stock.

In addition, that may make it worthless unless she gives the firing pin back to him as those often are not available for older models. The gun either needs to be disabled in a way he doesn't know that's what happened or it needs to disappear.

Since it is unlicensed if a license required, just call the police on him.

Removing the firing pin would make it known to him the gun was sabotaged, which could outrage him. She might as well paint "disabled" on the stock.

In addition, that may make it worthless unless she gives the firing pin back to him as those often are not available for older models. The gun either needs to be disabled in a way he doesn't know that's what happened or it needs to disappear.

Since it is unlicensed if a license required, just call the police on him.
Well, if he is not hitting the range every weekend. I doubt he will notice.
I think he will notice it gone or having expoxy poured down the barrell, dangerous.
But I would hate to see a gun of value, ruined by some knee jerk action of an old lady.

Well, if he is not hitting the range every weekend. I doubt he will notice.
I think he will notice it gone or having expoxy poured down the barrell, dangerous.
But I would hate to see a gun of value, ruined by some knee jerk action of an old lady.

No one recommended pouring epoxy down the barrel.

A gun is just a thing, an object, and that "long gun" is worth $200 or $300 at the most. But that doesn't matter. It is no different than "children" who disable a car in a way not easily repairable when they have a very aged parent who can no longer safely drive by putting water in the gas tank or some other way to prevent the elderly parent no longer competent to drive without the conflicts of reporting them to the police. Doing so not only is to protect that very aged parent, but everyone else too.

Maggie is one of the most level headed members of the forum. Stick around and you'll figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom