• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Only a few days until I leave for boot camp

I'd be more worried about the people shooting at me as I helplessly drift in and things like sharp branches or, say, a metal signpost hit in the worst way possible, but I'd also guess that I really don't know much of anything about how airborne operates in 2022...

I don't think anyone has jumped out of an airplane into combat since Grenada. I dunno how hot that zone was. I think they jumped to a staging point. In combat, it's 300m instead of 800m and no emergency chute at one's belly because there wouldn't be time anyway. For a combat jump, one gets a "mustard stain" on their jump wings (a brass star in the middle). It's not likely one will ever see that on a real uniform.

It's basically a leadership school, like Ranger school (one tenth of that perhaps), and a ticket to high speed units.

Jump school has weekends off. Like, no reporting to anyone, just go wherever and do whatever. After a couple months of basic and AIT (no freedom whatsoever), that freedom leads to some interesting stories.

I don't think anyone has jumped out of an airplane into combat since Grenada. I dunno how hot that zone was. I think they jumped to a staging point. In combat, it's 300m instead of 800m and no emergency chute at one's belly because there wouldn't be time anyway. For a combat jump, one gets a "mustard stain" on their jump wings (a brass star in the middle). It's not likely one will ever see that on a real uniform.

It's basically a leadership school, like Ranger school (one tenth of that perhaps), and a ticket to high speed units.

Jump school has weekends off. Like, no reporting to anyone, just go wherever and do whatever. After a couple months of basic and AIT (no freedom whatsoever), that freedom leads to some interesting stories.
In AIT, in the vast majority of MOSs, you get the weekends off once you enter Stage VI. :)

I know I gave you some shit in some other threads, but good luck to you anyway. 😀
I remember when I dropped my daughter off at the hotel, the evening before she was leaving for Basic.
She called me that night and said, "Dad, I feel all funny, like sick to my stomach. "

"Yeah", I said. "I did too."

You'll be fine.

I love my wife's Navy boot camp stories, especially her recounting of the first few days, from her fear that she might fall asleep standing up in all those endless lines, to the GARBAGE CAN being rolled down between the bunks while it was still dark outside, to being hauled into the Chief's office (Chief? Not sure what rank he was) and being told "Mitchell, you have an ATTITUDE PROBLEM." :LOL:

So, in the end "Admiral" Karen made it through boot with flying colors, but before she went in, my father told her that if she felt she couldn't hack it, to give him a call.
He was enough of a DoD muckety muck he probably could have pulled some strings but the truth is, he was tricking her, because when she actually DID call, and his response was "Give it a few more weeks".
She thought, "Oh crap, I am NOT getting outta here after all, better knuckle down"...which she did.

1642977496564.png

Remember the training isn't a game and may keep you and those around you alive someday. This is serious shit and when you get into the shit your training will take over.
Good luck!

Anyone heard from the boy yet? No news is good news, I hope.

Don't put up with all that yes sir and no sir stuff.
d

Yes. It’s always a good idea to call your DI by his first name so that he knows you want to be his friend. And when he gets angry and screams like a madman just give your DI a little hug to calm him down.

Finally, before chow is over it’s always smart to find your DI in the chow hall and ask him if he wants your dessert. He will be most pleased.

Last edited:
Yes. It’s always a good idea to call your DI by his first name so that he knows you want to be his friend. And when he gets angry and screams like a madman just give your DI a little hug to calm he down.

Finally, before chow is over it’s always smart to find your DI in the chow hall and ask him if he wants your dessert. He will be most pleased.
DI is a Marine term, not an Army term. ;)

Trumpers are all, "The CIA is fake! The FBI is fake! Congress is fake! State courts, fed courts and Scotus are fake! Elections are fake! Everything about America is fake!
None of these are fake...but they are all corrupt.

But good job joining the military."
Yes.

None of these are fake...but they are all corrupt.
Damn. How did you come to hate America so much? Did you hate your country before Trump told you to?

It’ll suck. There’s no beating around. People kill themselves even in Army basic. I personally know two people in my basic who injured themselves to try to leave early (they didnt) and someone who killed themselves on graduation day because they decided the Army wasn’t for them.

But I once heard basic described as the most fun thing you’d never want to do twice. I completely agree. Remember you’ll be doing things most people NEVER get to do. It’s a unique experience. A lot of people have some nostalgia for it after they graduate.

Bring a good razor. Bring nice toiletries. Bring cough drops (seriously bring them). Bring baby wipes. Bring a positive attitude Eat a good meal before you leave. MAKE FRIENDS.

And also, remember the quickest way out is to graduate.

Also, my offer still stands to write to you in Basic.

I wish you the best of luck. Army is small and I still have 8 years, maybe we will meet someday.
My recollections of basic is rather faded now with the passage of time. I do recall not wanting to repeat the experience.

How the hell is that possible

Ahhhhhhh

I hope my ****ing stomach doesn’t **** things up for me

I’m so nervous

But so excited

I’m going to miss beer and tv and bars but I’m still excited

Ahhhh
Which service? Makes a difference.

It’ll suck. There’s no beating around. People kill themselves even in Army basic. I personally know two people in my basic who injured themselves to try to leave early (they didnt) and someone who killed themselves on graduation day because they decided the Army wasn’t for them.

But I once heard basic described as the most fun thing you’d never want to do twice. I completely agree. Remember you’ll be doing things most people NEVER get to do. It’s a unique experience. A lot of people have some nostalgia for it after they graduate.

Bring a good razor. Bring nice toiletries. Bring cough drops (seriously bring them). Bring baby wipes. Bring a positive attitude Eat a good meal before you leave. MAKE FRIENDS.

And also, remember the quickest way out is to graduate.

Also, my offer still stands to write to you in Basic.

I wish you the best of luck. Army is small and I still have 8 years, maybe we will meet someday.
Same in Marine basic.

Let see. About 30 days in? He's hating it about now lol...

As soon as he blogged about going to boot camp I knew he was ****ed. There was just no way that he wouldn't be sent home.

Gee suuuuuure you did 😂 That’s sure as shit not what you said at the time, bud.

What, was your crystal ball acting up or something?

Back
Top Bottom