• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Only a few days until I leave for boot camp

Medical issue that they decided was previously disqualifying after all.

There is nothing to be ashamed of with a medical washout. I saw a few up close. They gave it a shot and it didn't work out. My own bunkmate left Great Lakes after his knee went to shit on week 5, and he was crying like a baby when he came back from medical to pick up his personal belongings.

But, your story stunk to high heaven the minute you got home and began posting again.

I think once he got there, he realized pretty quick, he really did not want to become a soldier. I think the Drill Instructors realized it too. They booted him. Win-Win! When reality fizzles our dreams, we tend to move on and find something else to focus on

Ditto!

There is nothing to be ashamed of with a medical washout. I saw a few up close. They gave it a shot and it didn't work out. My own bunkmate left Great Lakes after his knee went to shit on week 5, and he was crying like a baby when he came back from medical to pick up his personal belongings.

But, your story stunk to high heaven the minute you got home and began posting again.

Ditto!

Oh look, still clinging to those insipid little conspiracy theories of yours.

Yawn.

How the hell is that possible

Ahhhhhhh

I hope my ****ing stomach doesn’t **** things up for me

I’m so nervous

But so excited

I’m going to miss beer and tv and bars but I’m still excited

Ahhhh
Congrats. My nephew just finished Air Force boot camp. Now he's being deployed to Saudi Arabia for 6 months. We're all very proud of him. And don't worry... Your gunna be just fine.

Congrats. My nephew just finished Air Force boot camp. Now he's being deployed to Saudi Arabia for 6 months. We're all very proud of him. And don't worry... Your gunna be just fine.

This is an old post, that people revived for some asinine reason. Thank you for the kind words, but things did not go as planned. Is what it is.

This is an old post, that people revived for some asinine reason. Thank you for the kind words, but things did not go as planned. Is what it is.
Oh no..... So sorry.

Ditto!

We had one recruit stay an extra nine months in Parris Island.

I stayed an extra three plus due to a bum leg.

I had a buddy tear his ACL on the Bayonet March (culminating exercise in 11B training) at Fort Benning and then ended up staying another year at my basic training company as a training tech helping out the drill sergeants, then got med boarded and now has a fat wad of disability.

As soon as he blogged about going to boot camp I knew he was ****ed. There was just no way that he wouldn't be sent home.

I regret the new @Tigerace117; he's gone a bit off-kilter. He's smarter than that, and, I genuinely hope, recovers from his bitterness. Certainly I've been an ***hole, here, when I was dealing with bitterness and anger.

However, this was a trashy thing to do, to dig this back up, and claim you knew this would happen in advance, when we can all see what you posted.

Almost two, for the same reason.

Christmas in Medical Rehabilitation Platoon. Oof. Depressing

When I was there, if you were on-island 6 months due to medical, they offered you Admin Sep, or, if you were irreparably broken, sometimes you'd even get medically retired (nuts, right?). We had one kid spend an entire year on the island before he graduated. DI's actually - sometimes - treated him like a person, at that point.

But before the 6 month mark? Not even a discussion.

'Course, that was back in 2005, before the surge was about to start, and they were stop-lossing people to make numbers.

Some of us know about a current feud between @Tigerace117 and @Fledermaus . Some of us also know Tigerace uses the word “bud” as a pejorative.

Before Tigerace enlisted, I winced when he called out @Rogue Valley . I saw it as a naive, bright, well-meaning kid taking on a strong, honorable intelligent vet. Of course, I sided with Rogue.

Tigerace posted he dreamed about a future as a solder from the age of 8. Now that he washed out out of Army in less than 70days earlier this year, he has posted the experience no longer bothers him. Hmm.

I think if Tigerace had eschewed college and gone directly into the military, he would have completed Basic Training. Waiting to enlist after college put him light years ahead academically and intellectually over most teenagers. I consider him way way smarter than most of the kids who go into the military directly out of high school.

Obstensibly, he didn’t make it through due to a recurring and unspecified curable medical condition. I certainly understand why he might not want to disclose more about it.

I think once he got there, he realized pretty quick, he really did not want to become a soldier. I think the Drill Instructors realized it too. They booted him. Win-Win! When reality fizzles our dreams, we tend to move on and find something else to focus on.

I started college thinking I wanted a career as a CPA. Reality fizzled my dream. I finished with a management degree and became a career real estate broker.

My older brother graduated high school in 1967. Drafted a year or two later for Vietnam, he refused to report, eventually obtaining a medical deferment. In 1978, by then a college grad, he enlisted in the Army, did not pursue OCS. He quickly realized he did not fit in. Army flew him home, gave him one month’s pay and an Honorable Discharge.

My brother with Joe Biden (maybe 1988 DNC Atlanta?):
This is just my experience. I enlisted with a college education and for the life of me my experience made me want to be an officer even less.

Almost two, for the same reason.

Christmas in Medical Rehabilitation Platoon. Oof. Depressing

When I was there, if you were on-island 6 months due to medical, they offered you Admin Sep,
or, if you were irreparably broken, sometimes you'd even get medically retired (nuts, right?). We had one kid spend an entire year on the island before he graduated. DI's actually - sometimes - treated him like a person, at that point.

But before the 6 month mark? Not even a discussion.

'Course, that was back in 2005, before the surge was about to start, and they were stop-lossing people to make numbers.

I remember after leaving MRP a new Junior DI was inventorying my gear. I asked what training day it was as I had been told I would be in second phrase range and mess detail. DI tells me "We are on training day seven".

I lost it for a moment. I dropped the recruit mask and blurted out " You have got to be shitting me!" He looks back and dropping all the DI mask "No, really we are on training day 7". We looked at each other for a moment and went back to our masks and the inventory. By that time I had almost as much time on the Island as the DI.

We had too many recruits at one time. We had "DAB" calls where they would walk the squadbay and announce get out of jail call for anyone that wanted out. That and the entire bunch recruited from the Cnal Zone get lined up and marched out. Falsification of recruiting docs.

Sames. No thanks - got out after SSgt, and regretted it not at all.

I was the worst enemy of the career planner....

My advice to all intending to re-enlist was re-examine their options and stay only if they were 100% committed to it.

I had one Sgt buddy whose second tour can be summed up as such.

Re-enlisted for six years.
Drew a $12,000+ bonus.
Bought a hog.
Married a hog.
Crashed one hog.
Divorced the other hog.
Five and a half years remaining on his contract.

My advice to all intending to re-enlist was re-examine their options and stay only if they were 100% committed to it.

Drew a $12,000+ bonus.
Bought a hog.
Married a hog.
Crashed one hog.
Divorced the other hog.

I was a SGT at Ft Knox, reenlisting for the first time in '85. The Brigade S3 SGM (my former 1SG) went to great length to try to get me to reenlist to be a tanker. There was a 50,000 bonus at that time. He would call me up to Bde HQ once or twice a week to work on convincing me,sometimes with some drill sergeants who would assure me that reclassifying wasn't going to be anything like Initial Entry Training. In the end, I thought of the tankers I had seen breaking track and doing all the dirty heavy maintenance on those things, and decided it wasn't for me.

I ended up reenlisting for stabilization at present duty station for one year.

Almost exactly a year later, I was bound for Germany. Where due to progressing in my career field, I found myself....working on tanks. Or at least the turrets. :)

I was a SGT at Ft Knox, reenlisting for the first time in '85. The Brigade S3 SGM (my former 1SG) went to great length to try to get me to reenlist to be a tanker. There was a 50,000 bonus at that time. He would call me up to Bde HQ once or twice a week to work on convincing me,sometimes with some drill sergeants who would assure me that reclassifying wasn't going to be anything like Initial Entry Training. In the end, I thought of the tankers I had seen breaking track and doing all the dirty heavy maintenance on those things, and decided it wasn't for me.

I ended up reenlisting for stabilization at present duty station for one year.

Almost exactly a year later, I was bound for Germany. Where due to progressing in my career field, I found myself....working on tanks. Or at least the turrets. :)

My first re-up was for Sgt, $15,000 and two years on station. Down payment on a house and "stability".

One year later - Orders to Japan.

CMC said my two year promise was void. My S-1 chief said "Fine. He walks out a civilian and keeps the money". CMC backed down. One year to the day I was on a C-130 to Japan.

Drew a $12,000+ bonus.
Bought a hog.
Married a hog.
Crashed one hog.
Divorced the other hog.
I was a Career Counselor in the Army, the equivalent of a Career Planner in the Corps, my last 13 years. I was honest with the Soldiers in my units about what the Army offered them, in return for their continued service, and I was very successful, got promoted to Master Sergeant without ever lying to, or screwing and Soldiers. What they did with any bonuses or future assignments was on them. Your post reads like something a lower enlisted barracks lawyer might have said, but referring to a spouse as a "hog" speaks volumes. You really wouldn't have liked to serve with me, I can tell.

Back
Top Bottom