• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NBA Cancels 2017 All-Star Game In North Carolina Over Anti-LGBT Law

What you mean is that they are acting like bigots.

Only in a twisted demented world where standing up against hatred and bigotry is stretched to be bigotry. That circular argument doesn't work. Sorry.

What you mean is that they are acting like bigots.

No, they're expressing their freedom of speech and exercising their market freedom to take their business elsewhere.

Sorry their freedom offends you so much. Wait. No, that's not the word.

Amusing. Amusing their freedom offends you so much.

you cannot enforce it. its idiotic. its pandering but on the other hand so is the faux outrage.

first of all, how many individuals are actually affected by the stupid law

secondly, how do you enforce it. as I noted early, women's toilets invariably have stalls. how the hell is someone going to figure out that the brunette in the knee length dress and the 3 inch spikes really is peeing in that stall with a johnson? I guess if a female to male tranny tries to use a urinal it might tip off someone more curious than I would hope to meet in the men's room who then might raise an alarm but I just don't see that happening either

its much ado about NOTHING

yep. much ado about nothing. that and now employers can fire/discriminate against LGBT employees with impunity for their being - wait for it - LGBT
but then why would attorneys want to concern themselves with such trivialities

ironic coming from an NBA which openly discriminates against white players. but, it's o.k. to be racist, when the victim is white, right liberals?

ironic coming from an NBA which openly discriminates against white players. but, it's o.k. to be racist, when the victim is white, right liberals?

"Openly discriminates?"

Why, because white people suck at basketball?

fast twitch muscle composition discriminates against whites-not the NBA

Didn't know that those ticket prices included obligation for us to care about the NBA political activism

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

fast twitch muscle composition discriminates against whites-not the NBA

Really, that wouldn't account for the difference that exists in the NBA.

Didn't know that those ticket prices included obligation for us to care about the NBA political activism

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

You aren't obligated to care. And the NBA isn't obligated to perform for your entertainment in your chosen venue.

So, you think superior basketball players are being rejected by white coaches and white team owners for being white.

So, you think superior basketball players are being rejected by white coaches and white team owners for being white.

I didn't say that. I'm saying that the differences in numbers and skill level would not be accounted for by fast twitch muscle composition.

I don't think there is any discrimination against white players and indeed, a top drawer white player tends to get drafted ahead of slightly better black players.

I don't think there is any discrimination against white players and indeed, a top drawer white player tends to get drafted ahead of slightly better black players.

Again, I didn't say that. I think it really comes down to how white and black players develop their game earlier in their life than it does any sort of biological differences.

Here my rub. As individuals (players, couches, managers) they can say whatever they want and take whatever stand they want. Since taxpayers most likely paid for all or a good part of the basketball arena for the NBA, I don't believe they should take away the opportunity for extra revenue the all star game would provide.

Here's my rub- that local politicians whore out taxpayer money to build these arenas the politicians are double damned... :peace

I live in North Carolina, and my facebook feed is littered with both sides of the argument. However, all the memes are about men in womens restroom (particularly with little girls present). I haven't seen many complaints about women using our restrooms. Sexism against males is still alive and well. Apparently we are all perverts and or pedophiles.

Last edited:
And, to think, some of these posters are the exact same people who argue that there is no "gay agenda."

freedom and equal opportunity does not actually exist for any of us if we can deny it to some of us

freedom and equal opportunity does not actually exist for any of us if we can deny it to some of us

that's really silly

prisoners are denied freedom and equal opportunity and that has no impact on those of us who don't rob or steal, rape, murder, extort or traffic narcotics

that's really silly

prisoners are denied freedom and equal opportunity and that has no impact on those of us who don't rob or steal, rape, murder, extort or traffic narcotics

Political slogans have a tendency to be nothing but nonsense.

I live in North Carolina.

I am not happy about HB2, nor do I support it.

I couldn't care less what the NBA, or some rock and roll star, or Hollywood company, or any foul mouthed hatemonger on an internet debate site has to say about my state.

We are going to try and work through this as a state.

If you are that pissed off at what happened here in NC (which I, again, do not agree with at all) then get over it, go worry about your state, and we will worry about ours.

There are well meaning, honest, concerned citizens on both sides of this issue that are having a very hard time understanding the concerns of the other side. There are also hateful, self centered, bigoted assholes on both sides of this issue that don't give a flying crap about the concerns, or feelings, or religious beliefs of others, or what living in a body that doesn't match how your mind and emotions believe you to be can do to a person.

The newly elected Mayor of the City of Charlotte pushed through the city ordinance regarding public restroom and locker room usage by Pre- and/or Post-Gender Reassignment Surgery Transgender men and women - the mayor did so even after the NC Legislature asked her to slow down a little so the state could be involved and see if it would be possible to come to a solution that would meet the needs of trans people as well as quell the anxieties of those people that don't understand or maybe just basically don't even have a clue what it's like for a trans person to live with all the hate and bigotry and see this as a way for predators to be allowed to be creeps.

The Mayor refused, and kept pushing on.

The State of North Carolina, like most states (except those that have "home rule"), controls all regulatory power within the state according to the state constitution. No municipality or other government or quasi-government organization has any powers to do anything without it being granted by the state legislature. The City of Charlotte shoved this in the face of the legislature and got their ass smacked for doing so.

However, the NC Legislature went WAY to frigging far with HB2, and that needs to be fixed. I think it will be fixed, but not until the anti-HB2 folks stop pushing so damned hard, and give the other side of this debate some time to breath and room to talk. So far, the anti-GOP forces in NC have been in transmit only mode, and need to listen just a tad, for just a little while. And... so do the Republicans and Democrats in the NC Legislature that voted in favor of HB2 - they need to listen and try to understand that trans people need to be able to live their lives unmolested and free from hatred and bigotry - using the bathroom in peace is just the beginning of that process.

Now, you folks can hate my state all you want, and those that support HB2 can keep right on going on supporting it. However, both sides need to understand that both sides of this issue in the state I love are both to blame for where we are right now. An arrogant ass of a mayor and a bigoted group of legislators getting support from well meaning legislators in the General Assembly are both to blame. And so are people like those I've read in this thread that throw hatred out in the name of progress, understanding, and (this is the funny one) peace, love, and acceptance of our fellow man.

/rant

for those of you who are not fortunate to live within the old north state, thank you for your shared outrage at HB2
with some exceptions, you recognize that this precedent could also happen in your state if it is allowed to continue in mine
we already see mississippi with its own versionof HB2
georgia was only a governor's signature away from setting its own bad example, depriving its citizens of protections from discriminatory behavior
i will be surprised if texas, tennessee, and alabama are not far behind passing similar anti-LBGT legislation
this law took away a right that had previously been available to residents of any and every city in the state – the ability to file a state lawsuit over discriminatory firing. that is no longer possible if the termination in North Carolina is because the employee is a member of the LBGT community
you do not want that prospect in your own state

Last edited:
People are so cute. Its funny watching how many people that have literally wet themselves because North Carolina dared to impose laws that protect their citizens. They **** themselves over similar proposals in Mississippi and Georgia. And yet they gladly rushed to the polls to vote for a guy that right up until he needed campaign cash and voter support in 2012 held the exact same position on homosexuality and gay marriage as the advocates of these laws.

This is to be commended, yet also somewhat interesting in that from my perspective the NBA is populated with some of the most anti-gay athletes in any professional sport.

that's really silly

remind me to use your argument the next time you want to engage in another gun rant about infringement of one's rights

People are so cute. Its funny watching how many people that have literally wet themselves because North Carolina dared to impose laws that protect their citizens.

How is this new law "protecting" anyone?

remind me to use your argument the next time you want to engage in another gun rant about infringement of one's rights

how does that have any relationship to the silly bumper sticker claim you made. Try to find an argument of mine where I complain about those in prison not being able to keep and bear firearms

what is funny is that left-wingers often whine about "rights" that require others to pay or serve someone but you all don't have any problem extinguishing rights that are specifically guaranteed in the constitution when you think they are rights mainly exercised by white conservative men

How is this new law "protecting" anyone?

arguably because lots of women don't want a man walking into their restrooms.

BTW at what point is it proper for someone born a male to use a women's toilet?

Back
Top Bottom