• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NBA Cancels 2017 All-Star Game In North Carolina Over Anti-LGBT Law

Exactly. Liberals are once again working off a completely ridiculous understanding of human rights to declare their rights are being violated.

A conservative pretending to give a flying **** about human rights. Bwahahahaha you can't make this **** up. .:lamo

A conservative pretending to give a flying **** about human rights. Bwahahahaha you can't make this **** up. .:lamo

I'm pretty sure the word libertarian is not the word conservative. Try to read correctly next time.

Dude, most conservatives and many libertarians stand fully behind the rights of women, people of color, and LGBTQs. ;) Evidence of this has splattered all over this thread!

To be fair, many conservatives are supportive of LGBT+ people.

Dude, most conservatives and many libertarians stand fully behind the rights of women, people of color, and LGBTQs. ;) Evidence of this has splattered all over this thread!

I bet if I ran as a democrat and declared tampons a human right you would be voting for me in a second.

I bet if I ran as a democrat and declared tampons a human right you would be voting for me in a second.

THAT WOULD BE an interesting way of plugging for your campaign!

And what exactly do tampons have to do with LGBTQ rights?

Oh, you know, I was just making fun of liberals and their moronic views on rights. Don't you feel it is wrong women have to pay the same taxes that everyone else does on their hygiene products? Don't you think it would be better if we just got the government to provide all women tampons? I think it would be a great addition to the liberal platform. Move forward!

Oh, you know, I was just making fun of liberals and their moronic views on rights. Don't you feel it is wrong women have to pay the same taxes that everyone else does on their hygiene products? Don't you think it would be better if we just got the government to provide all women tampons? I think it would be a great addition to the liberal platform. Move forward!

Man, if you are trying to change the topic of discussion, you are going to have to try a LOT harder.

Man, if you are trying to change the topic of discussion, you are going to have to try a LOT harder.

Oh no my good man, liberals and their moronic view on rights is the topic of the discussion.

It has to do with democrats and wanting free stuff.

Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the top Democrat on the Legislative Branch Appropriations panel and chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, posed multiple questions to acting House Chief Administrative Officer Bill Plaster at the hearing about the availability of tampons and sanitary napkins.

“When you need a feminine hygiene product, you need one. Immediately,” lectured Wasserman Schultz. “For the convenience store to stop stocking products like that is really inconvenient. It’s the opposite of the purpose of a convenience store.”

Moreover, Wasserman Schultz groused that women shouldn’t have to pay the required 25 cents when in need.

Lousy food, low pay ... lawmakers testify (gripe) about working on Capitol Hill | Fox News

Someone who makes 200,000 a year still wants free tampons. Ladies and gentlemen your 2016 DNC chair.

It has to do with democrats and wanting free stuff.

Someone who makes 200,000 a year still wants free tampons. Ladies and gentlemen your 2016 DNC chair.

See, I didn't even know about that and I still guessed correctly what was next on the bull**** train. :mrgreen:

Yeah, **** the entire population of a state for their government not acting in line with your political goals and agendas.

This can be looked at the other way too. **If you want to do business in our state, you have better accept our agenda**. Of course, the NBA can choose not to play in North Carolina if it wants to. And companies can choose where they want to do business. After all, we are not the Soviet Union. And, if North Carolina wants to keep passing bigoted laws, let them do so. But don't expect mainstream business to accept it. They don't have to do business in North Carolina if they don't want to.

:roll: This is ridiculous. Maybe rational people can place conferences or events in NC to upset these fools at the NBA.

excellent idea; maybe the klan could hold a conference in the coliseum at the same time the all-star game was scheduled to be played

Moderator's Warning:
Guess what this thread is not about? Tampons. Guess what you need to stop discussing? Tampons.

I live in North Carolina.

I am not happy about HB2, nor do I support it.

I couldn't care less what the NBA, or some rock and roll star, or Hollywood company, or any foul mouthed hatemonger on an internet debate site has to say about my state.

We are going to try and work through this as a state.

If you are that pissed off at what happened here in NC (which I, again, do not agree with at all) then get over it, go worry about your state, and we will worry about ours.

There are well meaning, honest, concerned citizens on both sides of this issue that are having a very hard time understanding the concerns of the other side. There are also hateful, self centered, bigoted assholes on both sides of this issue that don't give a flying crap about the concerns, or feelings, or religious beliefs of others, or what living in a body that doesn't match how your mind and emotions believe you to be can do to a person.

The newly elected Mayor of the City of Charlotte pushed through the city ordinance regarding public restroom and locker room usage by Pre- and/or Post-Gender Reassignment Surgery Transgender men and women - the mayor did so even after the NC Legislature asked her to slow down a little so the state could be involved and see if it would be possible to come to a solution that would meet the needs of trans people as well as quell the anxieties of those people that don't understand or maybe just basically don't even have a clue what it's like for a trans person to live with all the hate and bigotry and see this as a way for predators to be allowed to be creeps.

The Mayor refused, and kept pushing on.

The State of North Carolina, like most states (except those that have "home rule"), controls all regulatory power within the state according to the state constitution. No municipality or other government or quasi-government organization has any powers to do anything without it being granted by the state legislature. The City of Charlotte shoved this in the face of the legislature and got their ass smacked for doing so.

However, the NC Legislature went WAY to frigging far with HB2, and that needs to be fixed. I think it will be fixed, but not until the anti-HB2 folks stop pushing so damned hard, and give the other side of this debate some time to breath and room to talk. So far, the anti-GOP forces in NC have been in transmit only mode, and need to listen just a tad, for just a little while. And... so do the Republicans and Democrats in the NC Legislature that voted in favor of HB2 - they need to listen and try to understand that trans people need to be able to live their lives unmolested and free from hatred and bigotry - using the bathroom in peace is just the beginning of that process.

Now, you folks can hate my state all you want, and those that support HB2 can keep right on going on supporting it. However, both sides need to understand that both sides of this issue in the state I love are both to blame for where we are right now. An arrogant ass of a mayor and a bigoted group of legislators getting support from well meaning legislators in the General Assembly are both to blame. And so are people like those I've read in this thread that throw hatred out in the name of progress, understanding, and (this is the funny one) peace, love, and acceptance of our fellow man.

/rant

I love the OBX and the good people down there. I hope to fully retire down there in a few years.

Its good to see the NBA and other companies standing up against bigotry and standing up for what is right.

What you mean is that they are acting like bigots.

Here my rub. As individuals (players, couches, managers) they can say whatever they want and take whatever stand they want. Since taxpayers most likely paid for all or a good part of the basketball arena for the NBA, I don't believe they should take away the opportunity for extra revenue the all star game would provide.

Companies must think of their P&L. It the State forbade chewing gum. I wouldn't go to the game. It is a little different, but in this case similar enough to illustrate the NBA dilemma.

Here my rub. As individuals (players, couches, managers) they can say whatever they want and take whatever stand they want. Since taxpayers most likely paid for all or a good part of the basketball arena for the NBA, I don't believe they should take away the opportunity for extra revenue the all star game would provide.

That's EXACTLY why they should take it away.

Back
Top Bottom