• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Labour MP Jo Cox in critical condition after being shot and stabbed

She died.

She was breaking up a fight....

Yep.

Very sad.

The EU should be disbanded. None of my friends over their were ever for it, or liked it.

The shooter hated the EU enough to kill. maybe this is why

ClAUI5tXEAAR_fp.jpg:large

Her and her family yesterday protesting the leave campaign flotilla on the river Thames.

Their gun stats will have to be redone.

And gun control never works. If a human wants another human dead, it will happen sooner or later one way....or another.

Gun stats average less than one a week in England, where you are 30 times less likely to be shot than in the gun-friendly USA. I can live with that, and longer than an American too.

I'm very saddened to learn of this terrible tragedy. Her family and children are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm pro gun ownership but couldn't you wait till the poor woman has been buried before making cheap points?

Like "progressives" waited all of 15 milliseconds to begin a gun control campaign after Pulse.

Handguns are illegal. Shotguns, rifles and antique guns are all legal. But well done on displaying your ignorance on UK gun laws.

Carrying any gun on the street is illegal in the UK. It's not legal to carry a gun for self defense. Firearms can only be possessed after obtaining a license, which is very difficult, and a license is only granted for specific purposes, like shooting clay pigeons. When not being used for that specific purpose the guns must be locked up. This usually means guns are kept locked up at the shooting club. Guns can't even be kept in the home for self defense in a nation where home invasions are rampant. If one happens to have a gun, kept for a "legitimate" purpose, at home when the home is attacked the gun can be used for self defense, but only if reasonable force is used. Which is to say, "reasonable" force as defined by some official looking over the situation in hindsight.

Manufacture of guns is by license only, and, needless to say, a home made gun would be very illegal.

In short, that the fellow had a gun was extremely illegal. The gun itself was extremely illegal. So much for gun laws; even in an island nation where the purchase of a gun is by license only.

Link

My sincere condolences to her family, friends, colleague's, and supporters. RIP.

An abundance of gun control didn't do any good.

This is really a terrible argument. Similarly:

People drive drunk so drunk driving laws don't do any good.
People murder, so murder laws don't do any good.
People rape, so rape laws don't do any good.

Etc.....

And no one anywhere expects that gun laws, like any other laws, eliminate 100% of the bad behavior. The goal is to reduce the bad behavior, lessen the risk, etc. A single gun death does actually nothing to prove or not prove whether or not gun laws work.

The shooter hated the EU enough to kill. maybe this is why

ClAUI5tXEAAR_fp.jpg:large

Her and her family yesterday protesting the leave campaign flotilla on the river Thames.

Her huband, her children, but not her according to the UK medi.

No mention on this thread so far that the shooter has a lifetime history of mental illness, has never been in paid employment and has been living alone for he last 20 years since his mother died. No question of any considered poitical motive. Any sane person in favour of Leave would understand that killing an MP would be worth a lot of votes to the Remain side.

She was a young bright woman with young kids. My heart goes out to her entire family. I hope they find some peace.

Like "progressives" waited all of 15 milliseconds to begin a gun control campaign after Pulse.

This was a UK matter, I doubt many on the pro or anti side in Europe used an American tragedy to score points that quickly.

This is really a terrible argument. Similarly:

People drive drunk so drunk driving laws don't do any good.
People murder, so murder laws don't do any good.
People rape, so rape laws don't do any good.

Etc.....

And no one anywhere expects that gun laws, like any other laws, eliminate 100% of the bad behavior. The goal is to reduce the bad behavior, lessen the risk, etc. A single gun death does actually nothing to prove or not prove whether or not gun laws work.

Is drunk driving a civil right? Is murder a civil right? Gun ownership (in The United States at least) is a civil right.

Is drunk driving a civil right? Is murder a civil right? Gun ownership (in The United States at least) is a civil right.

OK, good idea switching arguments because that other one was terrible. ;)

OK, good idea switching arguments because that other one was terrible. ;)

The fact that gun ownership is a civil right and gun bans don't work is the argument. Don't get mad just because you can break the argument.

The fact that gun ownership is a civil right and gun bans don't work is the argument. Don't get mad just because you can break the argument.

The fact that this person was killed with a knife and gun says exactly nothing about whether or not gun bans or gun control 'works.'

And the evidence around the world is pretty clear that gun bans certainly work to reduce gun violence and deaths, although they don't work particularly well in the U.S. for lots of reasons. :shrug:

You had 35000 gun deaths last year and the UK had 30. Conclusion ? Jo Cox got killed so the UK gun laws don't work

Uh huh :roll:

You had 35000 gun deaths last year and the UK had 30. Conclusion ? Jo Cox got killed so the UK gun laws don't work

Most of those weren't murders. Don't be dishonest.

Perhaps if Jo had a weapon she would be alive today..... I guess we will never know because British law denied her the option?

Perhaps if Jo had a weapon she would be alive today..... I guess we will never know because British law denied her the option?

Given just how incredibly rare events like this are we prefer not to live in armed fear of each other just in case.

We've seen the graphic results of that on your side of the pond and nobody here would want to indulge that nightmare

Back
Top Bottom