• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Sexting Cheating on your Partner?

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Is Sexting cheating on your partner. In polls men are less apt to think this is a form of cheating. Women on the other hand, like over 80% think it is cheating on a partner. Your take?

Is Sexting cheating on your partner. In polls men are less apt to think this is a form of cheating. Women on the other hand, like over 80% think it is cheating on a partner. Your take?

My Rule of Thumb:

When one puts themselves in a position or situation that 'could' lead to infidelity, they are in fact cheating. Even if it's strictly cerebral.

Yes, it is cheating. Certainly would not want my wife or girlfriend to be doing that, so would expect the same of myself.

My Rule of Thumb:

When one puts themselves in a position or situation that 'could' lead to infidelity, they are in fact cheating. Even if it's strictly cerebral.

Mornin WCH :2wave: .....I was going to ask about a situation wherein two people are always texting each other and being of the opposite text. As some would say with a so called friend. Or always talking thru electronic devices with each other. Possibly wherein ones partner knows it is an alleged friend.

Which would lead to noticing what some say is just harmless flirting.

I would say sexting is not only cheating on your spouse it is pathetic, immature behavior that is even worse than traditional cheating.

Mornin' SL. :2wave: What if the two people never met.....like due to living in different countries?

I agree.... it's cheating.

I love my wife...I wouldn't do that to her and she'd never do that to me....I think....damnit, where's her cellphone? J/K

Yes, and unless you're in an open relationship, it's a pretty crappy thing to do to someone. Sexting is not anonymous, there is a real third person involved.

Deceit and betrayal destroys trust.

No trust = no relationship anyway so if you have that little respect for your partner to begin with then do them a favour and end it. They deserve better.

Is casting your baited hook into the water fishing, or must you be caught actually reeling in the catch? ;)

Yes, and unless you're in an open relationship, it's a pretty crappy thing to do to someone. Sexting is not anonymous, there is a real third person involved.

No trust = no relationship anyway so if you have that little respect for your partner to begin with then do them a favour and end it. They deserve better.

100% agree.

I'm not sure "sexing" is a specific enough term say without more information. It could encompass anything from jokey flirting to as close to actual sex you can get without being in the same room (which, with a decent imagination, is pretty close).

Based on the implication of the question, I'd say it is cheating, assuming your partner is unaware of course.

Is casting your baited hook into the water fishing, or must you be caught actually reeling in the catch? ;)

Mornin Ttwtt. :2wave: Huff-po did a poll on it. I was surprised that more men didn't think it was.
It was on ABC good Mornin America too. Plus they survey men from Ask Men Mag. Although I like the way Huff Po depicted it with their pic.

r-SEXTING-large570.jpg

A recent HuffPost/YouGov survey of 1,000 U.S. adults conducted prior to Weiner's latest admission found that a whopping 85 percent of women consider sexting cheating versus 74 percent of men.....snip~

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/25/what-is-cheating_n_3654497.html

Last edited:

No trust = no relationship anyway so if you have that little respect for your partner to begin with then do them a favor and end it. They deserve better.

And we must always remember, once you text/post it's in cyberspace FOREVER.

Establishing it is cheating on ones partner......and if being with someone for a long time. Would it be enough to end that relationship with you.

Yes or no. Time.....anything over 3 years and or if Married. Would it end the Marriage and or your relationship with your significant other? Would you walk away with whatever you have with your significant other? Over sexting.

Establishing it is cheating on ones partner......and if being with someone for a long time. Would it be enough to end that relationship with you.

Yes or no. Time.....anything over 3 years and or if Married. Would it end the Marriage and or your relationship with your significant other? Would you walk away with whatever you have with your significant other? Over sexting.

It would depend, to be honest. As serenity stated earlier, you lose trust with a person? That is very hard to overcome. I'd have a serious issue with it.

I don't think that would be the only thing wrong in a relationship, there would be other underlying unaddressed issues that led to sexting.

Either you're with the person or you aren't. **** it get off the pot. If you care about someone, say you love that person, you wouldn't be going down that road to begin with.

It would depend, to be honest. As serenity stated earlier, you lose trust with a person? That is very hard to overcome. I'd have a serious issue with it.

I don't think that would be the only thing wrong in a relationship, there would be other underlying unaddressed issues that led to sexting.

Either you're with the person or you aren't. **** it get off the pot. If you care about someone, say you love that person, you wouldn't be going down that road to begin with.

Mornin" TGND.....I agree with you. I too would think there would be other unaddressed or even maybe has been addressed issues.

Going behind ones partners back for anything is cheating. But what about those that do know.....yet say nothing. Due to the kids and or finances. The longer the time together such as a decade or more would certainly come into play.

Some will say it's cheating, some will say it's not.
If you're a Weiner, you won't be shy to let it out.

Mornin" TGND.....I agree with you. I too would think there would be other unaddressed or even maybe has been addressed issues.

Going behind ones partners back for anything is cheating. But what about those that do know.....yet say nothing. Due to the kids and or finances. The longer the time together such as a decade or more would certainly come into play.

Speaking from experience...if you let things go and turn a blind eye, it will get worse and yourself and any children involved will not be thankful they stuck around for the continuation of betrayal.

I've seen it happen. Successful marriage of over 15 years, and they'd just paid off the mortgage in half the time. But they were gamers, and the husband began to chat with a 20-year old married girl who poured out her troubles to him. That led to sexting and also eventually a cross-country flight on the wife's birthday to give her personal counseling.

Ya, old story/new details. In short order, the husband told the wife he still loved her but was no longer "in love." Divorced within months because hubs thought it would be really swell to have both women in his life. He married the by-then 21-year old, and surprise, they were divorced within two years (after he'd paid for her to complete her degree). Old story. Very, very happy ending for my friend.

I've seen it happen. Successful marriage of over 15 years, and they'd just paid off the mortgage in half the time. But they were gamers, and the husband began to chat with a 20-year old married girl who poured out her troubles to him. That led to sexting and also eventually a cross-country flight on the wife's birthday to give her personal counseling.

Ya, old story/new details. In short order, the husband told the wife he still loved her but was no longer "in love." Divorced within months because hubs thought it would be really swell to have both women in his life. He married the by-then 21-year old, and surprise, they were divorced within two years (after he'd paid for her to complete her degree). Old story. Very, very happy ending for my friend.

Mornin NB :2wave: Yeah, they have this story of a woman. Which they took from Essence Mag.

Intimacy Intervention: ‘I Can’t Stop Sexting My Ex-Hubby! Am I Cheating?’

I am a 54-year-old woman married to my second husband for almost 14 years. Prior to this marriage, I played the field a few years. I was with my first husband almost six years before I left him and moved on.

For the past few years, I have been having a texting relationship with my ex-husband. A lot of it has involved sex. He was unfaithful, lied, did drugs and even hit me a couple of times but, I just can’t seem to stop myself from ”sexting” him. We also have made plans to meet up. I cared very, very deeply about this man and attributed some of his ”bad boy” behavior to the fact that he was only in his 20’s when we were married. I was eight years older. We had our great times together, and I have never felt I could love any man as much as I loved him. When our relationship was going well, we had a great amount of love for one another. But when it got bad, it got very bad.

My current husband has a quick temper but he doesn't cheat. He works hard and he is generous and goodhearted. We have problems because he is a poor communicator and is rather caustic at times. I love him but I almost left him last year. He would never, ever hit me or cheat on me.

Am I crazy? I feel guilty but I rationalize my behavior by convincing myself that unless we are really sleeping together, there is nothing wrong with my behavior. I know in reality there is but I just can’t seem to stop myself. He makes me feel better over the phone than my husband does here with me. What is wrong with me?.....snip~

Intimacy Intervention:

This sounds familiar. I think it happens more than people care to admit.

I was married 15 years and...Yeah.

This guy did this on his wife's birthday!? Unfreakingbelievable.

I hope she's very happy now and has found someone that treats her with respect.

People can rationalize most anything in order to justify their behavior. Infidelity does not simply begin at the moment of penetration. It starts LONG before that, and it doesn't even have to include sex to be an act of betrayal.

Sure, it's easy to claim that sexting isn't cheating because the bodies aren't in actual contact, but I would imagine that even those trying to claim this know better.

Depends. I think when people like Wiener do it he just wants to send stuff of himself out there because he is a narcissist and thinks he is the greatest thing since toilet paper. It is more ego driven in cases like that I think. In other cases, I think it probably is more sexually driven.

Sexting will eventually lead to cheating. Besides sexting is so highschool.

Back
Top Bottom