• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How can a vote against a Syrian STRIKE not be a vote for Assad & Putin?

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
People in the US can slice and dice and equivocate all they want. But the world ..especially those in the region (including Israel) will see an American congress vote against a STRIKE against Syria as a vote siding with Vladimir and Assad.

There simply is no other way to look at it ...especially if your in Israel right walking around with Gas Masks in your bag!

In fact I endorse McCain's idea to not just hit Assad..but to take steps to take him out. Hit his weapons cache...and arm the rebels to go in and finish the job!

I also feel if congress vote no for this STRIKE ...Obama should exercise his executive power ...and STRIKE Syria non the less.
He (Obama) isn't looking for another term...and when the history books look at this fiasco ..I am sure this will clearly be the right decision.

Here's what I don't understand about the whole thing....

Obama and his administration were all kissy kissy with Assad just a few years ago. What happened?

Other than burning up a few billion dollars worth of missiles and creating a few jobs, what's in it for us?

People in the US can slice and dice and equivocate all they want. But the world ..especially those in the region (including Israel) will see an American congress vote against a STRIKE against Syria as a vote siding with Vladimir and Assad.

There simply is no other way to look at it ...especially if your in Israel right walking around with Gas Masks in your bag!

In fact I endorse McCain's idea to not just hit Assad..but to take steps to take him out. Hit his weapons cache...and arm the rebels to go in and finish the job!

I also feel if congress vote no for this STRIKE ...Obama should exercise his executive power ...and STRIKE Syria non the less.
He (Obama) isn't looking for another term...and when the history books look at this fiasco ..I am sure this will clearly be the right decision.

What is the make up of the rebel forces? Which factions should we arm, and can we tell the difference? What is the purpose of regime change when what's next is unknown? If we don't have a 99.9% confidence level of the location of all chemical weapons and are not going to take those out, who is to say that the next leader of the country will not use those on neighboring countries?

Because the issue isn't as black and white as being for or against Assad.

Here's what I don't understand about the whole thing....

Obama and his administration were all kissy kissy with Assad just a few years ago. What happened?
He started slaughtering civilians?

He started slaughtering civilians and protesters?

Over 70K have already died in the civil war, with millions displaced, and we're just now outraged over his actions?

He started slaughtering civilians?

That's just an excuse. I wonder how many of those innocent protesters and civilians were armed with assault rifles?

The same way that they pretended that Egypt's military did not take over in coup, political spin trumps reality in DC. Blowing up stuff in Syria to spite Putin and Assad, yet not knowing who will come into power in Syria next, is not exactly what I would call a complete plan for regional peace.

Over 70K have already died in the civil war, with millions displaced, and we're just now outraged over his actions?
Nope. We've voiced displeasure with his actions from the onset. The use of chemical weaponry is just the spring board for action.

Because neither Assad nor Putin is runing for office in the USA?

Don't play the "moral card" here, this issue is not whether what is happening in Syria is "right or wrong," the issue is should we risk another war and therefore American lives and resources getting involved.

This problem has been going on for some time and we ignored it. Now "chemical weapons" have been used by who knows which side, and suddenly we need to ride to the rescue? Of course our "rescue" is to attack the seated government regardless of fault simply because "we" don't like the guy's internal policies.

There would not have needed to be any vote if the President hadn't unilaterally "drawn a red line in the sand." Had he discussed the policy with Congressional leaders and brought the issue to the American people for a consensus...we would not be facing this problem now.

You talk like you are not from the USA, and if that's true why don't you convince YOUR people to go in and take some "moral action" against Assad in Syria? It's fairly easy to demand someone ELSE risk their lives and resources for YOUR moral outrage.

Strap on some weapons, take some buddies with you...and then YOU go sort it out. Leave us to decide how we handle our business, if it IS our business in the first place.

Last edited:
Nope. We've voiced displeasure with his actions from the onset. The use of chemical weaponry is just the spring board for action.

What is the end game in any action the US might take? The President has already stated it is not about regime change...

Were you in favor of attacking iraq post 9/11?

These conflicts are largely Shiite against Sunni. Who is in charge of the government is meaningless. One side historically kills the other, unless there is firm control.

What is the end game in any action the US might take? The President has already stated it is not about regime change...

Well he's stupid if he thinks his actions will make things better. Shiite vs. Sunni is a conflict that we will never be able to force resolve to. their culture only recognized power, and once a leader is weakened, he is attacked.

Time and time again, that is the history of the region.

That's just an excuse.

An excuse? Slaughtering civilians in an attempt to merely cling to power should alter how he is viewed on a global scale by most who aren't sociopaths.

I wonder how many of those innocent protesters and civilians were armed with assault rifles?
I'm sure many have that have been killed have been killed in combat. Strange how being mowed down by ones own government prompts some to arm themselves isn't it?

Back to the OP topic.

Who cares if the vote is for Putin and Assad?

Syrian rebels were arrested on the Turkish border with canisters of sarin gas and we're 100% convinced it was the regime because??? And further, even if it WAS the regime, who's to say the rebels won't use sarin themselves, as it's already been shown they have access to it?

I see a vote against a STRIKE against Syria as a vote siding with Americans who are sick and tire of money being wasted. Yeah its bad what Assad allegedly did.But bad **** happens all over the world. We are going broke,we can not afford any more wars. Besides it seems that when ever we help another country it comes back later to bite us in the ass.

Perhaps not directly, but obviously these strikes would be aimed at aiding rebel forces, and may lead to enhanced cooperation to ultimately effect a regime change.

Perhaps not directly, but obviously these strikes would be aimed at aiding rebel forces, and may lead to enhanced cooperation to ultimately effect a regime change.

How has regime change supported by the US in Egypt and Libya worked out?

An excuse? Slaughtering civilians in an attempt to merely cling to power should alter how he is viewed on a global scale by most who aren't sociopaths.

I'm sure many have that have been killed have been killed in combat. Strange how being mowed down by ones own government prompts some to arm themselves isn't it?

What you guys fail to see is one relevant fact.

These guys don't wear uniforms. This is what happens...

1) Rebels attack.

2) Rebels killed.

3) Remaining Rebels manage to collect most the firearms and flee.

4) Unarmed dead rebels = propaganda of civilians killed.

Now please, let that sink in a few minutes before responding. Now there is collateral damage as well, but the conflict is initiated by the rebels.

Many people keep asking ...why strike Syria...whats in it for us (America)?
Well you can't have it both ways ...you either lead, follow or get out of the way.

And when events like this happen and the US doesn't step up ....sooner or later someone else will. Let China for example start taking the lead on events like this and soon ...the US will become irrelevant.

You can't have it both ways ...you can't claim to be the world's force and the superpower ...and show off you dam selves all day...and when there's a situation you want to crawl in your hole!!

Back
Top Bottom