• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you been to Europe? [W:107]

Have you been to Europe?

• Total voters

Canell

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Hey, it's Sunday! Let's have a break and probably a drink, shall we? ;)

So, have you been to Europe and what do you think about it? :)

Visited Paris and Amsterdam for a total of ten days about ten years ago. Nice place to visit. I would love to spend about a month or so really digging around in Paris since it is such an old city.

Visited Moskva, Kharkiv, Kyiv, Berlin, Munchen, Hambvrg, Kiel, Warszawa, Kursk, and Petrograd.
For some reason, I've been fascinated with Eastern Europe, particularly Deutschland and Rossiya

No, hell I've never left the southeast, not my choice my family is boring:lol:

But I do plan on travelling, a lot. I'd love to go to Europe, just travel around, through Italy, Spain, France, the UK,

Yes I have, and I have visited many countries.

Norway: Love my own country of course
Sweden: Sucks. Their country is boring and the people are ignorant and easily fooled. They just keep making stupid laws that make no sense.
Denmark: A very relaxing country. I'm a little jealous about their politics.
France: Amazing country to go on vacation. Don't think I would want to live there though. Very left wing. Also the standard of living is lower and hard to get jobs.
Germany: Boring... and not as responsible as they claim they are.
Switzerland: Very rich, right wing. Beatuful country with lots of skiing opportunities.
Spain: Pretty laid back county. Kind of shame they got stuck in the eurocrisis mess, its not their fault that the eurocrats are completly incompetent.
Italy: Corruption and Colosseum.
Greece: Messed up country. No hope, but nice beaches and food.

No, but eagerly looking forward to visiting Scandinavia or Germany in the near future.

No, but I'd love to. There are so many countries and things that I would love to see in Europe someday. :)

Been to holland, belgium, france, spain, germany, and morocco {not in europe but you can see europe from there.

I spent three years in germany in the army. I found a lot of the germans wee cold blooded and did not like americans. There were a lot of exceptions to them because some germans were the completely the oppisite. Good beer and wine which all germans carry in a schintzle bag [german lunch bag].

Amsterdam had beautiful views especially on Canal street. Got to love eating mayo on my french fries there. Lots of drugs.

Belgium, good food, and hospitality but boring.

france, good food, good bread, good wine. I got hassled there more than any other country. Once I was hassled by a french motorcycle/stormtropper cop, clad in black leather in the middle of nowhere. I think he wanted sex. Got chased by a bunch of young french kids cause I was talking to some french chicks.

spain was my favorite. Ran with the bulls in pamplona, Hung out in hemmingway cafes. Good food good wine, and friendly people. No wonder hemmingway loved it so much.

Tangiers, lived there six months smoking opium. It was like watching a freak show while sipping mint tea in the square. I used to cop my stuff from a hippie arab who also sold to mick jagger. I became an international dope smuggler while there. never got caught. On the way out of tangiers I was questioned by customs while I was tripping on acid. they did not break me though and i had a fantastic airboat ride back to spain.

all of this happened after i got an overseas discharge from the army.

i lived on about$ 1.50 a day at the time and slept in a sleeping bag. 1967-69

I've also been there. Did you go to the warf section? I did (~'98) and I stumbled upon this strange little "museum" in the warehouse dictrict where no one went except me (to see the water and work boats). I'm quite sure it was the Al Q headquarters in Hamburg.

I did my masters in Europe, so I lived there about 2 years and travelled about Europe then and on other (short) visits.

spain was my favorite. Ran with the bulls in pamplona, Hung out in hemmingway cafes. Good food good wine, and friendly people. No wonder hemmingway loved it so much.

Have you read The Sun Also Rises?

I think the cool thing about Europe is that usually your a train ride from a completely different country. You can see a lot in a short amount of time, one of the benefits of everything being so close together.

planning to go when i have the time and funds.

I've lived in the uk and italy(twice), spent significant amounts of time in Iceland, Spain, and Germany....and visited Norway, France, Ireland, belgium, the Netherlands, estonia, Luxembourg, Yugoslavia, Greece, and Switzerland.

I love the history of Europe, but love the liebenstraum back home.

The thig I liked the most about europe was the castles. What a trip. The most fascinating city was Granada. It is chock full of moorish and spainish history.

It's too bad we don't retain more of our historic structures here in the usa. We have torn too many of them down and turned them into parking lots and malls.

I miss the open air markets of europe.

Visited pretty much all of western Europe now and much of the balkans! Grew up as RAF brat so have lived in several different European countries, Cyprus was probably my fav place to live bit I also lover Germany and Italy. Living in the US for the last 2 years has been great but there are def things I miss about Europe, I miss the public transport and the trains and I also miss being able to walk places and cycle. Europe is far more pedestrian freindly than a lot of other places I have been.

Visited pretty much all of western Europe now and much of the balkans! Grew up as RAF brat so have lived in several different European countries, Cyprus was probably my fav place to live bit I also lover Germany and Italy. Living in the US for the last 2 years has been great but there are def things I miss about Europe, I miss the public transport and the trains and I also miss being able to walk places and cycle. Europe is far more pedestrian freindly than a lot of other places I have been.

yes, running down bike riders and pedestrians driving muscle car is considered a sport in some places here.

-- Norway: Love my own country of course
Sweden: Sucks. Their country is boring and the people are ignorant and easily fooled. They just keep making stupid laws that make no sense.

I remember Norwegian students telling me just how ridiculously expensive Norway is - the price of a pint of beer is absolutely prohibitive so I hear. LOLed at your regionalist comments about Sweden.

-- Denmark: A very relaxing country. I'm a little jealous about their politics.

Never been but maybe one day I will get the chance, just like Holland and Belgium.

--France: Amazing country to go on vacation. Don't think I would want to live there though. Very left wing. Also the standard of living is lower and hard to get jobs.
Germany: Boring... and not as responsible as they claim they are.

I liked Germany and France, I have family ties to France though - probably as do all here in the UK after the Saxon and Norman invasions of the UK.

--Switzerland: Very rich, right wing. Beatuful country with lots of skiing opportunities.

My new favourite country in the world. Loved the efficiency and cleanliness. Standard of their products and food ingredients is just out of this world. I was really surprised at how limited their fruit and vegetable ranges were in the supermarkets.

Horrible cost of living though - wonder how Swiss prices compare to Norway?

-- Spain: Pretty laid back county. Kind of shame they got stuck in the eurocrisis mess, its not their fault that the eurocrats are completly incompetent.

Never been to mainland Spain but have been (on holiday) to the Canary Islands

--Italy: Corruption and Colosseum.

Never ever want to go there.

--Greece: Messed up country. No hope, but nice beaches and food.

Really liked Greece, if not for the serious economic problems and ultra nationalist elements, I once considered retirement there.

Portugal: lovely food and really nice people. I used to dream of retiring there to run a drawing and Art holiday centre, several colleagues have bought property and retired there in the last 5 years.

Turkey: beautiful country with amazing history, really lovely people.
Tunisia: another beautiful country, spent a few weeks drawing and painting around Carthage. I know it's North Africa but until the recent troubles they were positioning themselves as a Mediterranean country rather than an African state.
Slovakia: amazing geography, my favourite part is the "pocket himalayas" otherwise known as the Tatras mountains.
Poland: great people but I found Poland otherwise boring. Food especially boring.

England / Wales / Scotland / Northern Ireland: NI is my least favourite part of the UK, I have a soft spot for Wales.

I'd like to travel around a bit more again soon, probably back to Zurich this Xmas with my partner to try some more "Swiss Roll.." :3oops:

Have you been to Europe?

Vienna is my favourite city to walk around and chill in. Paris and Berlin good nights out. London has the best places to eat out. France has the best skiing. Ireland has the best surfing. Florence is just epically well preserved (Italian restaurants suck though).

The scandinavian nations, russia and Scotland are probably the only notable European countries I've yet to go to.

In no particular order,

Germany
Holland
Belgium
Greek island (Rhodes)
NI
The former Yugoslavia
England
Wales

These countries are all quite nondescript, I have nothing memorable to say about them, they all spoke foreign.....what can I say!! (whoops wrong thread :rofl)

Paul

Last edited:
Nope. The Europe I'd like to visit ceased to exist half a millennium ago.

Born in the UK and lived about 9 years of my life there, split up into several different shifts. Also been to the amsterdam and copenhagen airports, but I suspect that doesn't count. In spite of what some might think, I like England very much. I enjoy the pubs, the sports, and find most of the people very friendly. I tend to frequent areas not on the list of tourist attractions - such as the northeast of England - and find those places charming. London, not so much.

Visited most European countries. Serbia has the best looking women in all of Europe. Too bad they all smoke cigs like crazy. By the time they are in their 30s they look like in the early 50s...sad site to see.

Back
Top Bottom