• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you been to Europe? [W:107]

Have you been to Europe?

• Total voters
Been to much of it.

Favourite country I have visited: Kenya (euro, I think Denmark or England)
Least favourite country I have visited: Ethiopia (euro, I'm not sure)
Country I most wish to visit (that I haven't yet): Australia (euro, Italy or Greece)
Favourite city: South Beach, Miami. Or Amsterdam, Copenhagen is good, Riga is very nice, Lund is quaint...
Least favourite city: If I can just count the airport, Paris sucked

I'll edit in Euro selections.

Last edited:
Lived in Bremerhaven, FRG in the 80's for six years while in the U.S. Army. Visited 13 European countries, and England.

I really enjoyed seeing the castles, churches and artwork.

Friendliest Europeans: Danes.
Rudest Europeans: French.
My favorite aggressive drivers: Italians. (they raised vehicular intimidation to an art form)
My favorite communist country: Yugoslavia

Last edited:
My favorite aggressive drivers: Italians. (they raised vehicular intimidation to an art form)

That's because you haven't been to Greece. :mrgreen:

I have not been to Budapest, but I'd very much like to go there. Oddly, I have met several Romanians living in here in Arizona. I'm not sure why that is.

You dont want to go there... the answer is not a pretty one.

I have not been to Budapest, but I'd very much like to go there. Oddly, I have met several Romanians living in here in Arizona. I'm not sure why that is.

Budapest is the capital of Hungary, not Romania.

London: Discovered that Scottish chicks are slutty .

Yes they are but we need more slutty women like them in the world. Did I ever tell you about the two scottish twins I did at the same time? Oops late for an appointment.

Yes they are but we need more slutty women like them in the world. Did I ever tell you about the two scottish twins I did at the same time? Oops late for an appointment.

Is there a shortage of triplets there?

You dont want to go there... the answer is not a pretty one.

Don't want to go to Budapest or Romania? I am not sure what is wrong with either one. They are both decent places, you just got to keep yours smarts about you like in everywhere.

Don't want to go to Budapest or Romania? I am not sure what is wrong with either one. They are both decent places, you just got to keep yours smarts about you like in everywhere.

Budapest is great, if you dont mind being in a country with a neo-nazi government.

Romania has its good sides, but the negatives are the reason why so many Romanian's leave the country. Poverty, corruption, organised crime and so on.

To be fair... it is cold up there and that is their way of keeping warm :) And are you sure that they were not for Newcastle? :)

Budapest is great, if you dont mind being in a country with a neo-nazi government.
Strangely I don't.

Romania has its good sides, but the negatives are the reason why so many Romanian's leave the country. Poverty, corruption, organised crime and so on.

There is plenty of corruption and poverty and organized crime in Ukraine, Russia, Moldova, even Latvia. I don't see them leaving the country in droves.

A lot of the Romanians I have met in the states are trafficked here or are just thankful of being here.

I love dirty old Dublin. I can't be there too often. For reasons I can't explain I find the brogue easier to understand in Cork! Assbackwards, I know. Anywhere in Ireland is grand, though Limerick doesn't rock me, even if it's where my family is from. Favorites would be difficult to list beyond Dublin, but I like Clifden and Galway. I nearly froze my nuts off one night at a B&B in Tralee. Killarney is fun. My wife's favorite outside Dublin. Doolin is great.

We usually start in Dublin with no plans and see where we end up. You can't go wrong.

Galway is the best for drinking if you ask me. I try to set at least one week aside for down Clifden way in the Summer. There's like a 5% chance of blue skies on any given summer day in Connemara, but when it happens there's no beating it.

I know that.:roll:

Someone in a previous mentioned both. I was responding to the post.

I guess so. :) Just the way it was written was not very clear to me. Sorry, no offence intended. :)

We Americans don't get out as much as we should for a couple of reasons.

1. We live in AMERICA! Its tough to rationalize going to the other side of the Atlantic or some other far away place when we already live in the best place on earth with sights and experiences many haven't seen here yet or enjoyed so much we want to go back again.

2. Money is tight. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck. You can spend hundreds on a trip to Disney World or New York City or you can spend thousands on a trip to Europe. If you're on a budget, you'll probably pick the former.

3. With the exception of top executives, business owners and school teachers, the American work culture doesn't allow for the freedom to take time off at one's own discretion or much vacation time compared to other parts of the world. If you only get 10 days of vacation time per year, its not always easy to choose a vacation where you need 4 days just to travel there and then adjust to being in a different time zone.

4. Comfort with the familiar. We know America, most don't know Europe. We know our laws. We know our monetary system. We know our communications systems. We know our geography. There's peace of mind that if something unusual happens we know how to get in touch with loved ones and get home through multiple options.

There's is a big world out there beyond our own borders and IMHO it is unfortunate we don't get out as much. In the interim, 2012 we have access to amazing media technologies that allows us to enjoy far away places. The Travel Channel in HD and other media outlets bring places we'd otherwise never see into our living rooms. Right, now I'm listening to a radio station live from the Caribbean and with a couple of clicks will probably switch to London in a few minutes. By the time I do get to Europe, I'll probably know a whole lot about the place.

Granada is beautiful, especially in the early-Spring when the almond trees are in blossom and the Sierra Nevada is still covered with snow. I'd defy anyone to try to find a more breathtaking holiday photo than the one you'd get from the Mirador San Nicolas.

g1.jpg

That said, the food's not great, the people are really stand-offish for Spaniards, it's baking hot in summer (110F+) and below zero cold in winter. If you're going to visit, visit spring or autumn and book your Alhambra tickets way in advance as it's one of the most visited tourist attractions in the world, apparently.

Romania is what brams stroker based transylvania and dracula on.

Err no.

Transylvania is in Romania.. it is an actual area of Romania. In fact the "Dracula" was a real person but no he was not a vampire. He was however crazy and very blood thirsty and he came out of the Transylvania area.. and that is what Graham Stroker based the story on.

Vlad the Impaler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Transylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is pretty much one of the two interesting places in Romania. The other one is the old Presidential Palace, now Parliament in Bucharest.

Palace of the Parliament of Romania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, he based his Dracula story in Transylvania, a region of modern Romania. He was inspired by the stories of Vald the Impaler, or Vlad III Dracul, Count of Wallachia in the C15th.

To be fair... it is cold up there and that is their way of keeping warm :) And are you sure that they were not for Newcastle? :)

I don't know. My mind was otherwise preoccupied to be thinking about geography at the time.

1. We live in AMERICA! Its tough to rationalize going to the other side of the Atlantic or some other far away place when we already live in the best place on earth with sights and experiences many haven't seen here yet or enjoyed so much we want to go back again.

Yeah, Mr. Golum, but don't you want to see where your ancestors came from (assuming you have Euro genes)? ;) See the medieval towns, bullet trains, 1000 year cathedrals and such? :)

Favourite country I have visited: Kenya (euro, I think Denmark or England)
Least favourite country I have visited: Ethiopia (euro, I'm not sure)
Country I most wish to visit (that I haven't yet): Australia (euro, Italy or Greece)
Favourite city: South Beach, Miami. Or Amsterdam, Copenhagen is good, Riga is very nice, Lund is quaint...
Least favourite city: If I can just count the airport, Paris sucked

I'll edit in Euro selections.

okay forget turkey ,sweetyy........but greeks want it so much :(

okay forget turkey ,sweetyy........but greeks want it so much :(

I had a girlfriend who had been to Turkey, so I kinda been there. I might actually visit someday.

Back
Top Bottom