• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany makes the worlds best cars!

:lamo Well there's also a car lot that you would have to park in but you can just as easily walk over to the RV field. My last NASCAR race was at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway which was dominated by American flags. But if you get down more more of where i live it's dominated by Confederate flags. The chicks are way hotter down in the south opposed to the north. There's usually twice as many naked breast, as well. I've never been to your style race track, I've only seen left turns my whole life. However i did attend Skip Barbers school of racing when i was 17. All we did was learn how to race tricked out BMW's. It was fun but very expensive!

I've never heard of a 'Punto' but it looks just like a VW GTI. I use to race the GTI i had back in high school. I spent wayyyy too much money on fixing that thing up.

I'm telling you, my baby Fiat is NO Gti! I does however cost me less to run than my mobi (Cell-phone). This is all good knock-about. I'd love to attend a NASCAR meet and I'm sure you'd go ga-ga at Spa, Monaco or Istanbul (the best 3 GPs as far as racing's concerned). As I work for minimum wage, this is all pie-in-the-sky anyway. Although, if I win the lotto before I win the myocardial infarction, I'm having a Lotus Elise just like this, but in British Racing Green.
08LotusElise.jpg

because there is no British car any more?

You ignored the part in my post which said "still"

British engineers have worked in every car company around the world since before British unions, British managers and British Government ruined the British car industry. If you also look back in this thread, someone else has already posted how many time British companies have won the F1 championship.

Anyway - "no British car any more" ignores that TVR still exists, Mclaren commercial division are releasing a new sport car under the management of Ron Dennis and basically as I said at the start that British engineers are still (and always have been) highly sought after in the car industry across the world.

I'll freely admit that British managers haven't been highly sought after anywhere - we seem as a nation incapable of producing a wealth of good managers across all sorts of spheres.

You ignored the part in my post which said "still"

British engineers have worked in every car company around the world since before British unions, British managers and British Government ruined the British car industry. If you also look back in this thread, someone else has already posted how many time British companies have won the F1 championship.

Anyway - "no British car any more" ignores that TVR still exists, Mclaren commercial division are releasing a new sport car under the management of Ron Dennis and basically as I said at the start that British engineers are still (and always have been) highly sought after in the car industry across the world.

I'll freely admit that British managers haven't been highly sought after anywhere - we seem as a nation incapable of producing a wealth of good managers across all sorts of spheres.

You should probably add Bentley, Land Rover and Lotus to your list.

I'm telling you, my baby Fiat is NO Gti! I does however cost me less to run than my mobi (Cell-phone). This is all good knock-about. I'd love to attend a NASCAR meet and I'm sure you'd go ga-ga at Spa, Monaco or Istanbul (the best 3 GPs as far as racing's concerned). As I work for minimum wage, this is all pie-in-the-sky anyway. Although, if I win the lotto before I win the myocardial infarction, I'm having a Lotus Elise just like this, but in British Racing Green.
08LotusElise.jpg

I'd rather have this:

ford-gt4.jpg

08LotusElise.jpg

nice choice of car (and color)

Either/Or game...

Porsche Boxster or Lotus Elise?
Lotus, of course.
Mercedes SLK AMG or Aston Martin V8 Vantage?
Aston, no question.
Saab 9-3 or BMW 3 Series?
Saab, every time.

Need I go on?

Lotus Elise is very much a track car, and would be horrible for daily driving, or just taking for a spin

Aston Martin is a very beautiful car, but is slower then most german competitors

Saab 9-3 or BMW 3

BMW all the way. Who would want a warmed over Opel Vectra with a poor engine

Or the BMW with a 3 litre 300 hp (US)

You should probably add Bentley, Land Rover and Lotus to your list.

Off the top of my head, Lotus is now owned by Proton of Malaysia. Colin Clarke however is the perfect example of industry changing British engineer that the OP ignores.

I'd rather have this:

ford-gt4.jpg

Do you know how far a Ford GT40 can actually go on one tank of petrol? :roll:

Great car - crap fuel consumption.

Off the top of my head, Lotus is now owned by Proton of Malaysia. Colin Clarke however is the perfect example of industry changing British engineer that the OP ignores.

If you can afford a Ford GT you really don't care about the gas mileage.
However it gets 12 to 14 in the city and 19 to 24 on the highway. About what my Corvette got.

for a daily driver, the 355d

If you can afford a Ford GT you really don't care about the gas mileage.
However it gets 12 to 14 in the city and 19 to 24 on the highway. About what my Corvette got.

And considering the size of the fuel tank... A local TV celebrity here bought a GT40 a while ago and had the mickey taken out of him for having to carry spare fuel around in cans in the back so he could get from his home to the TV studios without being stranded on the motorway.

Ridiculous.

It doesn't matter how much money you have - having to drive with your own fuel tanker following you everywhere kind of defeats the object.

And considering the size of the fuel tank... A local TV celebrity here bought a GT40 a while ago and had the mickey taken out of him for having to carry spare fuel around in cans in the back so he could get from his home to the TV studios without being stranded on the motorway.

Ridiculous.

It doesn't matter how much money you have - having to drive with your own fuel tanker following you everywhere kind of defeats the object.

The Ford GT has a 17.4 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank and gets 14 to 23 mpg. That gives it a 300+ mile range. That really isn't all that bad. After 4 hours driving most people are ready for a rest stop anyway.

Great car! The main problem is that every time you drive it the World warms up by 1 degree C. Drive it from Cairo to Narvik and you'll take the Sahara to the Arctic Circle with you.

Check this out...
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVeGuCs1R4c"]YouTube- Ford GT40 challenge pt 2 - Top Gear - BBC[/nomedia]

Hilarious! Let's all buy a GT...
  • 4 MPG
  • 75 miles on a full tank of fuel
  • You can't park it in a standard parking space because you can't then get into it
  • It has more understeer than a Challenger tank
  • It costs the same as a Lambo Gallardo and a Ferrari F430
  • It's a Ford!
But it IS very fast. Sold. To USA-1. I hope he's very short and very rich.

Oh, I forgot. They stopped making them three years ago.

Last edited:
The Ford GT has a 17.4 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank and gets 14 to 23 mpg. That gives it a 300+ mile range. That really isn't all that bad. After 4 hours driving most people are ready for a rest stop anyway.

Your figures err on the side of optimistic. :lol:

However a GT with such poor fuel consumption still doesn't make for great figures.

Great car! The main problem is that every time you drive it the World warms up by 1 degree C. Drive it from Cairo to Narvik and you'll take the Sahara to the Arctic Circle with you.

You'd need 2 or 3 fuel tankers or your own personal oil rig but it would be a fun journey. Personally I'd prefer an elise or the new Mclaren supercar.

-- Hilarious! Let's all buy a GT...
  • 4 MPG
  • 75 miles on a full tank of fuel
  • You can't park it in a standard parking space because you can't then get into it
  • It has more understeer than a Challenger tank
  • It costs the same as a Lambo Gallardo and a Ferrari F430
  • It's a Ford!
But it IS very fast. Sold. To USA-1. I hope he's very short and very rich.

Oh, I forgot. They stopped making them three years ago.

Actually, Jeremy Clarkson asked for his money back after a month or so - but he was always prepared to live with the car's inherent problems - it was the security system that drove him nuts.

Just to correct one thing - you don't have to be a midget to fit into one of these things.

Germany makes awesome beer and all kinds of other good stuff.

I'm a bit biased over Germany. Much of my ancestry is from there. Germans are generally very smart people too. At least, the ones who moved to America are. I don't know about the rest. Never had the oppertunity to visit Germany.

That Hitler and "the wall" thing kinda dropped Germany down on my list of places to visit. But I do hope to make it there one day after I visit the other more important spots on my list.

Your figures err on the side of optimistic. :lol:

However a GT with such poor fuel consumption still doesn't make for great figures.

You'd need 2 or 3 fuel tankers or your own personal oil rig but it would be a fun journey. Personally I'd prefer an elise or the new Mclaren supercar.

Actually, Jeremy Clarkson asked for his money back after a month or so - but he was always prepared to live with the car's inherent problems - it was the security system that drove him nuts.

Just to correct one thing - you don't have to be a midget to fit into one of these things.

Gas Mileage of 2005 Ford GT
Not optimistic at all. Real life figures, not TV.
The owner of the local Ford dealer bought one and he gets close to 20 doing 65 on the freeway. When he drives it like it he stole it, he gets considerably under 10.

As for getting into it, Just like my Corvette, I would park it so no one parks next to it.
I know they don't make them anymore but I would still take it over any other car.

From Jeremy Clarkson Article:

"Ford asked that I keep the revs below 4000 for the first thousand miles. But since 100mph equates to 1900rpm it’s not really a hardship. And at this speed you’re doing 15mpg, which isn’t bad at all. But three days later everything started to go very, very wrong."

Security system and getting into it when parked next to another car? Talk about a whiner.

Last edited:
My mum has had a BMW 5 series for as long as I can remember. She only just bought a new one, but she had her old one for over five years. Apart from normal servicing, she has replaced one set of tyres, and one stop lamp globe. Her previous 5 series (an early E39) gave her exactly the same service in 8 years (right down to the stop lamp globe). My uncle is a car tragic, and has a collection of vintage cars (including an old Ferrari) but his daily driver is a BMW M5. He also has just bought a the new one (with over 500bhp) but he had the E39 M5 for a number of years. He goes through tyres and disc pads a lot, (he drives fast just about everywhere,) but has had no reliability problems with 5 litre V10 which revs to over 8,000 rpm. BMW do not suffer the same reputation in Europe that they seem to do in the USA.
And the same may be said of Porsche, Mercedes, VW or Audi.

But while I agree with the OP that Germany does indeed produce the best cars to be had, that is a matter of subjective personal opinion. There is in fact no such animal as the best car in the world, just as there is no best country in the world.

Much depends upon the standards by which you judge a motor car (or a society, for that matter). Some people will judge a car by how many people, or how much stuff, it can carry. Others will have fuel economy as the principle value by which they judge a vehicle. Others will only consider how cheap it is, while others will only consider how hard it accelerates from rest. Some will only consider reliability and ease of servicing, while yet others will only consider the popular 'image' a vehicle projects in their particular society.

In my opinion, Europe in general, and Germany in particular, produces vehicles with the best balance of performance, comfort, fuel economy, roadholding, braking and ease of handling at close to the maximum speed of which the vehicle is capable. Americans, are used to using large, rather crude and poorly built vehicles, which nonetheless have impressive straight line performance, and capacious interiors, on wide open multi-lane roads with few sharp bends. Most are unlikely to appreciate the subtleties of small-engined, economical, modestly dimensioned, European cars with high levels of roadholding, braking, and ease of handling.

Just as few people used to European cars are unlikely to overlook the dynamic deficiencies of American home-market vehicles used under European conditions, sufficiently to appreciate the relaxed performance afforded by the large, lazy, and unstressed engines and transmissions of your average American car. But both types have their own appeal. It is just that both are built for very different operating conditions.

But my final analysis gives the nod to the European car, as it will handle American road conditions better than its American counterpart will handle European operating conditions. If you could have a peep into the garage of very wealthy Americans, you will more often than not see a German, British or Italian thoroughbred nestling there. You will not see the American counterpart in the garage opf any but the most eccentric of European plutocrats. ;)

For a super car like the Ford GT it isn't bad. It sure as hell is better than 4 mpg.
The Ford GT is not a daily driver, it wasn't meant to be.

No, for the daily supercar you get a Porsche Carrera GT or the new Mclaren.

Anyhow, building on what you originally said - most people who have the money to fund these things probably don't have just one supercar and aren't blinded by patriotism.

Either/Or game...

Porsche Boxster or Lotus Elise?
Lotus, of course.
Mercedes SLK AMG or Aston Martin V8 Vantage?
Aston, no question.
Saab 9-3 or BMW 3 Series?
Saab, every time.

Need I go on?

That comparison is ridiculous. We are not comparing series of cars, we are comparing countries, and to do that brands.

How many different cars does lotus have? Like 1 model or something, and its not that great. How many models do Bmw have? And they are all great cars.

Last edited:
No, for the daily supercar you get a Porsche Carrera GT or the new Mclaren.

Anyhow, building on what you originally said - most people who have the money to fund these things probably don't have just one supercar and aren't blinded by patriotism.

Daily drivers? $500k cars daily drivers? I don't think so.

My next sports car will be another Corvette. I am currently looking for a low mileage 2008 to 2010 only driven on sunday to church. Corvettes are the best value and most fun for the money.

Daily drivers? $500k cars daily drivers? I don't think so.

My next sports car will be another Corvette. I am currently looking for a low mileage 2008 to 2010 only driven on sunday to church. Corvettes are the best value and most fun for the money.

it is certainly the best value American car being sold

Daily drivers? $500k cars daily drivers? I don't think so --

Neither the Porsche or the new McLaren cost that equivalent in UK sterling. If it's the general comment regarding people driving expensive cars daily - those people exist.
I accept some people buy real drivers cars and leave them untouched in the garage while they get chauffeured around in a Merc or Rolls Royce -t it won't be every multi-millionaire that does this.

Back
Top Bottom