• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Favorite Book Series

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever by Stephen R Donaldson is also a great series.

at least it wasn't as bad as Jordan's wheel of time series

I'm only on book six of that right now, so I can't comment. Dude over-writes the **** out it. I don't need 40 pages of description to know what a ****ing apple looks like.

The Alex Cross series by James Patterson

The Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel

Anything by Ken Follett ;)

That's those Mammoth hunter books, right? I read those years ago and they were fantastic.

That's those Mammoth hunter books, right? I read those years ago and they were fantastic.

Yep. A heavy dose of feminism, right down to God being the "earth mother", but a very interresting take on pre-history for sure.

Looking for some good book series suggestions if you have any. Any genre welcome.

Dexter Series

It's the only thing I've read in the last 2 years that wasn't school related, or Romance with benefits. LOL - sorry. Not much help.

Since I'd be remiss to not mention the author from whom my username comes from, Christopher Moore's vampire trilogy of Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck!, and Bite Me! is pretty good. Most of his books are kind of connected to a degree, though, so I'd just read all of them if I were you.

Try Daniel Boorstin's history series - "Discoverers", "Creators", and "Seekers". They each cover world history from a different perspective and a re a great read.

Yep. A heavy dose of feminism, right down to God being the "earth mother", but a very interresting take on pre-history for sure.

That's what I read them for.

Another one I loved was Aztec by Gary Jennings. It was a great historical fiction.

Looking for some good book series suggestions if you have any. Any genre welcome.

Aside from (of course) Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien...

Sci-Fi:
David Weber’s Honor Harrington series
Louis McMaster Bujold’s: Miles Vorkosigan series

Urban Fantasy:
Kevin Herne’s Iron Druid Chronicle series
Richard Kadrey’s Sandman Slim series
Rob Thurman’s Nightlife series

Warhammer 40K:
Sandy Mitchell’s Caiphas Caine series (humorous)
Dan Abnett’s Ibram Gaunt series (serious)

Horror:
Cthulhu Mythos; Over 60 authors based on H.P. Lovecraft. Category:Cthulhu Mythos writers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Historical Fiction:
C.S. Forester’s Horatio Hornblower series
Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe series and Saxon series.

To name a few. There are many more I could name but it depends on your real interests.

I'm only on book six of that right now, so I can't comment. Dude over-writes the **** out it. I don't need 40 pages of description to know what a ****ing apple looks like.

Sandersons completing it for him is actually not too bad. More action. I don't mind the immersion, but sometimes it gets a bit cheesy.

Casca, the Eternal Mercenary, by, Barry Sadler.
Riverworld, by, Jose Phillip Farmer.
Heroes in Hell, by, various science fiction and fantasy authors in collaboration.

Lois McMaster Bujold has done series in both science fiuction and fantasy. I highly recommend the Vorkosigan series(science fiction) and the Chalion series(fantasy). The latter is especially interesting in that it is a very feminine view of fantasy, with female characters who are strong, independent hero type characters, but also feminine(though note it is not a "feminist" series nor is it trying to make some point, nor really a major plot point it simply is how she writes). Ms. Bujold is one of the best at creating interesting, well thought out plots and filling them with very three dimensional, interesting and realistic(to an extent) characters.

For something completely different(note these are all fan translated from Japanese, and the quality of the translation varies incredibly...but they are free):

Toaru Majutsu no Index - Baka-Tsuki : A world where ESP powers exist, there is a city dedicated to scientifically cultivating and learning about those powers called Academy City. One boy has no ESP powers(called being a Level 0), but he does have the ability to cancel any such power with his right hand. One day he meets a girl who claims she is being chased by magicians, setting up the tagline for the series "when science and magic meet, a story begins". Humor and high adventure, and available free at the link.

Toradora! - Baka-Tsuki: my favorite romcom. Boy and girl meet. She has a crush on his best friend, and he has a crush on her best friend. Both are too shy to tell their crush, so they agree to team up and help each other win the affection of their crush. The results should be obvious, but the series is very well written and hilariously fun.

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! - Baka-Tsuki: Boy is raised by his sister after their parents die. He goes to college, his sister married a divorcee with 2 kids and has one herself. Then the sister and her husband die in a plane crash. Boy takes over raising the three kids(all girls), plus trying to attend college and be a normal 19 year old. Hilarity ensues. Should not be as good as it is, but somehow it works.

I was raised by parents who got me interested in reading by feeding me Hardy Boys books non-stop. Because of that, I've always loved thrillers to pass the time and on lazy summer days.

In the thriller mode, I do like several authors, but if you want a series of books, John Sanford's "Prey" series is extensive and quite good.

I agree..very good series... Patterson is good too....

Hmm. I'm working on a series now by Philip Kerr - the Bernie Gunther novels. They're noir detective novels set in WWII Germany and prior. They're actually quite good - he does his homework.

I like the vampire series from Ann Rice.

Starting with Interview With A Vampire and going on from there.

She paints a beautiful world with her words and it is very entertaining.

Try to keep Tom Cruises face out of your mind when you read about Lestat though.

Aside from (of course) Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien...

Sci-Fi:
David Weber’s Honor Harrington series
Louis McMaster Bujold’s: Miles Vorkosigan series

Urban Fantasy:
Kevin Herne’s Iron Druid Chronicle series
Richard Kadrey’s Sandman Slim series
Rob Thurman’s Nightlife series

Warhammer 40K:
Sandy Mitchell’s Caiphas Caine series (humorous)
Dan Abnett’s Ibram Gaunt series (serious)

Horror:
Cthulhu Mythos; Over 60 authors based on H.P. Lovecraft. Category:Cthulhu Mythos writers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Historical Fiction:
C.S. Forester’s Horatio Hornblower series
Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe series and Saxon series.

To name a few. There are many more I could name but it depends on your real interests.

Honor Harrington definitely.
Miles series, not so much, read a few but eventually gave up on them.

Caiphas Caine was readable,
Gaunts Ghosts books were pretty good.

If you like a bit of humor, Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster (his individual novel Nor Crystal Tears is a great book)
Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy of course.

The Childe Cycle by Gordon R. Dickson has some great reads
The Regiment (Tswa) series by John Dalmas
Lt Leary series by David Drake (Hammer's Slammers and Northworld are also decent reads)
Troy Rising, Council Wars, Into the Looking Glass by John Ringo
Empire of Man by John Ringo and David Weber.
Pretty much any series or book by David Weber, except Hell's Gate.
Pip and Flinx series Alan Dean Foster

If I think of more, will add them.

I like the vampire series from Ann Rice.

Starting with Interview With A Vampire and going on from there.

She paints a beautiful world with her words and it is very entertaining.

Try to keep Tom Cruises face out of your mind when you read about Lestat though.

Yes, I have them all....If you liked those, you will love her Witches series.

Yes, I have them all....If you liked those, you will love her Witches series.

I read all of them a few times and right now my girlfriend is Reading the vampire series. The witches are next for her.

Also, Lee Childs Jack Reacher series. Excellent stuff.

They made a movie recently from the book One Shot though I haven't seen it yet. I just can't imagine Cruise playing a 6' plus tall huge ex-MP.....

It's hard to beat Jack Reacher. Poor Child at having his character played by Cruise. CJ Box's Joe Pickett is an interesting character, too.

Back
Top Bottom